HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Klein to NYR for Michael Del Zotto

Old
01-22-2014, 03:21 PM
Montross

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Sorry but im rather pissed right now.
It's always emotional when a long-time player on this team, especially a fan-favorite, is traded or released. Klein was a solid player here for a number of years.

But you have to know that his days here were numbered the moment Seth Jones was drafted. I am sorry to see a class act in Klein go, but this isn't some kind of big shocker really.

Montross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:21 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I'm now imagining Legwand and Ellis as a trade package to Carolina

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:24 PM
Russian Pred
ˇNo Pasarán!

I wonder if MDZ will play tomorrow night?

Russian Pred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:25 PM
AintLifeGrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I'm now imagining Legwand and Ellis as a trade package to Carolina
Legwnand, Ellis, and 2014 1st for Skinner?

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:25 PM
JR303

Wow, I REALLY hate to see Klein go. I think he got kinda lost in the shuffle, but he's a very reliable defenseman. I can't count how many goals he's saved that got behind a goalie for us.

Damn, more I think about it, this one pisses me off. I think this one will hurt in the long run. Klein brought a whole hell of a lot to this team.

JR303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:26 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Hey guys, it's the guy that kept asking about Rinne.

MDZ isn't weak defensively. He's often bashed for that but you have to ask yourself, how many people who speak ill of him actually watches him play and has seen him throughout his career?

People love to bash offensive D men for their defensive game.

Rangers fans have been pretty bad this year because of our poor start, getting blown out, Henrik Lundqvist getting off to a poor start. When you put that together, Rangers fans are pretty grumpy.

Michael Del Zotto is not strong on defense but his defensive game is one that can be described as unnoticeable in a game, which is a great thing.

If the team is up 3-2 in the final minutes, he can take a shift, but not when it's down to the final 3-4 shifts. He's not a defensive pillar but by no means is he a wreck on defense.

An defenseman average at defense who is a good puck mover, has had success as the PMD, and can make great offensive outlet passing plays from the defensive zone.

His play this year is problematic because of the start we had and the fact that everyone struggled. When things improved in New York, he and John Moore was the one defensive pairing that continued to struggle.

He's still young and learning is not a strength of his. He doesn't learn as quickly as other defensemen but the same can be said for John Moore or any bottom 2 pairing defensemen who's not a stay at home at this point/age of their career.

The transition from Torts's zone defense that he's played since the start of his pro career, to AV's man on man defense has been a tough process for him. He's recently starting to figure it out. I'm not sure what kind of defense you guys have in Nashville but stay with him for a stretch and he'll be able to work to his potential.

Players are often caught in the middle of coaching changes and MDZ was one of those. Torts used him consistently and used him in offensive situations. Under AV, it was neither of those situations for MDZ.

Having seen his play from his rookie season, what he is this season is everything he's not. Learning a new system without the trust of the coach has been an uphill battle and a change in scenery is what he needed.

There's no doubt a new start for him will do him a lot of good. The way you guys are slotting him in should be a positive because he needs minutes and confidence.

When an offensive defenseman is doing everything he can defensively to stay in the line up, he's not going to be able to play to his strengths. Hopefully, he'll be able to do that in Nashville.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:27 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
I would crap my pants in a bad way, we need a CENTERMAN coming if one is going, does Skinner play C ?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:28 PM
RomanEmpire

You guys are acting as if Nashville doesn't have a track record of developing young defensemen. I hate to see Klein go too but he was aging. If MDZ can regain his form we'll be set for a long time on D.

RomanEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:30 PM
utkpred

Giving up our first should not be in ANY scenario, at this rate it will be a very valuable pick.

utkpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:32 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montross View Post
It's always emotional when a long-time player on this team, especially a fan-favorite, is traded or released. Klein was a solid player here for a number of years.

But you have to know that his days here were numbered the moment Seth Jones was drafted. I am sorry to see a class act in Klein go, but this isn't some kind of big shocker really.
I think just the opposite a team can not afford Weber and Jones after his ELC. KK had a GREAT contract and we just moved it for a cat that is struggling and needs a new contract. Sure resigning him will be cheap. But if this team is to rebuild the pitiful top 6 it will involve moving Rinne, Weber or Josi. Take one of those three out of the mix and what do you have??????? MDZ may well have upside but there are many of us sick of hearing upside for YEARS. I ok with a rebuild its needed but to dump a great contract and handcuff the defense like this is absurd. Now if another defenseman is moved it becomes average. WHile they have struggled this year they would have been much better next season and pretty dang good the year after. SO now does DP move Josi or Weber for assets or stand pat and try to get another crapshoot like Sthalberg????

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:35 PM
MrJoshua

Josi-Weber
MDZ-Jones
Ekholm-Ellis
Bartley

That's a very young defense. I mean a VERY young defense. MDZ has been in the league for five years, though, even if he is only 23.

I fail to see how this makes Ellis expendable, though. Frankly, he's looked better on the PP than Jones to this point. I think it's more likely that MDZ-Ellis becomes the second PP pairing. Or possibly MDZ-Weber on the top PP and Josi-Ellis on the second.

How is MDZ's shot from the point? Because Klein was basically the only defender on the roster that didn't have a hammer from the blue line.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:38 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
For the guys clamoring "now Ellis":
(1) we have to get a RHD back, or we have Bartley playing his off-hand on the 3rd pair.

(2) what do you think we get for Ellis exactly? and for those saying "in a package" - instead of Klein? Seems Klein brings considerably more value.

and while we're on the topic of Klein and Ellis, Ellis game has gotten continually better playing with whom? Right, Klein, because Klein covers for his mistakes and size and gives Ellis the freedom to be more aggressive on O. You guys gonna' be happy playing Barts with him, because I don't see it working with Ekholm. (or, rather, we saw it NOT WORK with Ekholm for the first 25 games).

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:39 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
That's horrible for Carolina.

A pending UFA, a middling 1st rounder, and a never was prospect for Jeff Skinner?

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:42 PM
RaiderDoug

I don't see the big deal.

Klein was a 2nd pairing defensive Dman. Those guys are a dime a dozen in the NHL. The best thing you can say about him was that he was cheap.

MDZ is a lottery ticket that might work out, might not.

I don't see how this is some crushing blow or dooms us to mediocrity for the next decade.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:43 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Pred View Post
I have a bad feeling about this..
Kind of with this guy. Potential is great, the right / left issue is real, but Klein was kind of a bedrock on the backend. Sad day regardless; Klein had a lot of heart, signed a fair deal, and seemed to genuinely love the team and the city. Definitely wish him the best and hope MDZ meshes well.

I have to admit that my first reaction was that I hated it; cooled down a bit but am still hesitant.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:45 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
You are NOT getting Carolina's #1 goal scorer for that pu pu platter.

Old
01-22-2014, 03:50 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Poile reportedly has a presser in 10 mins. Maybe he can shed some light on this.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 04:11 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Poile - Our D is a lot better today and I think it's going to be very good going forward

Poile - Preds needed a LH shot to complement Jones Ellis, Trading for a LH was inevitable

Old
01-22-2014, 04:15 PM
Russian Pred
ˇNo Pasarán!

Sounds like DMZ will be avail to play if Trotz wants him tomorrow.

Available to Coach Trotz to enter the lineup tomorrow night in Vancouver. Nashville Predators (@PredsNHL). https://twitter.com/PredsNHL/status/426099993058213888

Russian Pred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 04:19 PM
JetsFan815

What a steal by Nashville. First Forsberg and now MDZ... Nashville is starting to get a reputation of fleecing other teams in trades

JetsFan815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

If Del Zotto regains his form you can expect a #3 who's good defensively with an edge and solid on the breakout. Don't expect much on the powerplay, Del Zotto and the powerplay are like oil and water. But that's really the only issue I had with him. That and the occasional "what the **** was that worst player ever trade this guy" breakdown. Maybe Trotz can address those. Even with that, I still think he's underrated defensively.

I think this is a good trade for both teams. Preds needs a LHD to compliment whichever one of Weber/Jones/Ellis isn't playing with Josi. Rangers needed a RHD as insurance if Girardi asks for the moon.

Just tell Klein to pack his coat and boots. We're in the middle of our most wicked arctic surge in 30 years. So wicked that the weather man said it snowed in Nashville, can anyone attest?

01-22-2014, 04:29 PM
Persona5

The fact we traded a right hand shot for a lefty is a good thing and means Weber/Jones/Ellis will not be going anywhere. They will be our RHD's going forward on the 1-2-3 pairings respectively.

The left side of our D needed work and this is a huge improvement over what we were working with. It allows players to play on their natural side and that means more than most people realise.

While we do need a scoring forward this move will also improve our offense because you can't score if you can't get the puck out of your own zone. A puck moving lefty d-man will help a ton when it comes to getting the puck out oof our own end cleanly.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 04:30 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

rangers fan here. mike del zotto needed a change bigtime. if he puts it together, you will have a very smart offensive player who can play an attacking style.

he can be a frustrating player but can occasionally dazzle with his ability to carry pucks and make home run passes.

his shot is so-so and his defensive play/decision making is suspect many nights but he can log a ton of minutes and seems to play better the more he plays.

were excited to have kk suit up. we need a steady guy like him.

good luck to you guys and to mike del zotto. hes a kid who really needed a new team and perhaps this will kick start his career again.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 04:31 PM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Just tell Klein to pack his coat and boots. We're in the middle of our most wicked arctic surge in 30 years. So wicked that the weather man said it snowed in Nashville, can anyone attest?
If you call that light dusting snow than yes, It snowed in Nashville yesturday.

Old
01-22-2014, 04:33 PM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
What a steal by Nashville. First Forsberg and now MDZ... Nashville is starting to get a reputation of fleecing other teams in trades
Not to mention the Hendricks(contract) for Dudnyk(expiring contract). I'm good with what Poile has been doing lately.