HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Impotent Power Play Discussion Thread

Old
01-20-2014, 12:01 PM
iam76

vCash: 500
Both Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau are close to signing contract extensions with the Sharks. Their deals will be close to their $7 million and $6.9 million deals.

no surprise there really.

iam76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 12:14 PM
EnforceTheLaus
#TeachTheTrospiracy

Those 2 were never hitting FA anyway.

EnforceTheLaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Benched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
That's a playoff record. I'm unable to find anything on regular season, but apparently the Leafs had a stretch in 97-98 where they went 59 straight chances without a goal. EDIT: Nevermind, I guess it's 51 according to Luis G...where did you find that?

Also, worst PP% in a season belongs to TB in 97-98 with 9.35%....I think we might have a shot at setting a new record low.
With Flash off the point finally, we might not set it. It will be interesting to see who is on the point. Hopefully it's Gilbert. I see him giving it to Boyes though.

I'm glad Flash is off the point. I want him off the PP entirely because he misses the net even from a few feet out and his passing sucks lately too but I guess you can't have cake and eat it too.

Last edited by Benched: 01-20-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 07:47 AM
Erick*

I think last night sort of proved that it has more to do with a lack of talent than just Flash being on the point.

I think good powerplays are capable of playing a flashy, east-west type of game. The bottom line is that the reason why we play better even strength is because we're that type of team. When we play well, it's because we're rolling four lines and playing a simple (north/south) game. And getting good goaltending of course. Our margin of error is minimal.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Benched

With the way he has been playing I'd give Shore a shot on the PP. That shot he scored on last night was beautiful and he goes to the net.

Old
01-21-2014, 04:51 PM
batting1k
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
With the way he has been playing I'd give Shore a shot on the PP. That shot he scored on last night was beautiful and he goes to the net.
and he even said he's trying to have a shoot first mentality now too. We need guys shooting on the PP if we want to have a chance to score. I can't remember if Winchester is on the PP or not but if he isn't, I feel like he'd be a good fit. He's good at battling for the puck (as we saw last night) and can create some good chances. The PP is in the dumps right now, wouldn't be a bad idea, imo.

batting1k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 05:03 PM
Benched

Quote:
Originally Posted by batting1k View Post
and he even said he's trying to have a shoot first mentality now too. We need guys shooting on the PP if we want to have a chance to score. I can't remember if Winchester is on the PP or not but if he isn't, I feel like he'd be a good fit. He's good at battling for the puck (as we saw last night) and can create some good chances. The PP is in the dumps right now, wouldn't be a bad idea, imo.
Exactamundo about Shore. We need to shoot the damn puck and he seems like the guy who can do it and do it well. I think I saw Winny get some PP time last night.

Old
01-22-2014, 01:50 AM
zeroG

vCash: 540
ditch the 1-3-1 already. go back to a simple overload. high-low-high-shot. get bodies to the net and make sure your point men can get the puck through. doesn't have to be a slapshot, just has to be on net. that's simplifying things.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 04:42 PM
KW

In the spirit of "something new needs to be done to give a jolt", they could pull a bruins thing of a chara in front of the net. Maybe Jovo or Guds could be our Chara.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 10:18 PM
Effe

vCash: 2300
Worst Power Play Percentage in a Season: 9.35%, by the 1997–98 Tampa Bay Lightning

We are down to 9,0% now.

Effe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 12:21 AM
Benched

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
In the spirit of "something new needs to be done to give a jolt", they could pull a bruins thing of a chara in front of the net. Maybe Jovo or Guds could be our Chara.
That would be a complete waste of their shots. We have guys with decent size who can stake the front of the net. They just dont do it.

Old
01-25-2014, 01:35 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Campbell has been really bad on the PP lately…

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 05:12 AM
Mogo
#GameOver

vCash: 814
It seems no changes or strategy will be input as long as PH runs the PP

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 12:49 PM
jrockett1096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
It seems no changes or strategy will be input as long as PH runs the PP
His stubbornness and his nonchalance about the power play annoys me to such a degree that it makes me feel not like resigning for next year as coach even though he's done I think a great job with not that talented a team and inheriting a mess that he has straightened out.

The biggest problem with the power play is the talent obviously but the lack of imagination, change in strategy and making a real emphasis to get this going which comes from the coach to the GM is disgraceful. It will be very sad if we set an NHL record with the worst powerplay in history.

jrockett1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 03:29 PM
THE Florida Panthers
Potvin Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrockett1096 View Post
His stubbornness and his nonchalance about the power play annoys me to such a degree that it makes me feel not like resigning for next year as coach even though he's done I think a great job with not that talented a team and inheriting a mess that he has straightened out.

The biggest problem with the power play is the talent obviously but the lack of imagination, change in strategy and making a real emphasis to get this going which comes from the coach to the GM is disgraceful. It will be very sad if we set an NHL record with the worst powerplay in history.

I agree. This team has enough talent to convert at a higher percentage than they do now. Every team in the NHL does. It shouldn't be accepted imo.

THE Florida Panthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 04:41 PM
ShootIt

I honestly wonder if they'll score again on the PP.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 05:12 PM
Benched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats Kneading Goals View Post
I agree. This team has enough talent to convert at a higher percentage than they do now. Every team in the NHL does. It shouldn't be accepted imo.
It has the talent. It's just sitting on the bench. I maintain guys like Shore and now that he is breaking the slump, Huby should be out there over guys like Flash and Gomez who I still cannot believe got a shot on the PP at all.

Old
01-25-2014, 07:11 PM
THE Florida Panthers
Potvin Forever!

Quote:
It has the talent. It's just sitting on the bench. I maintain guys like Shore and now that he is breaking the slump, Huby should be out there over guys like Flash and Gomez who I still cannot believe got a shot on the PP at all.
They aren't getting it done. You are right. They should be replaced.

Old
01-25-2014, 07:36 PM
KW

Quote:
That would be a complete waste of their shots. We have guys with decent size who can stake the front of the net. They just dont do it.
LOL yeah, their shots have really been getting it done on PP. My bad...

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 08:25 PM
LUUUUUIS
Do the maths!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrockett1096 View Post

I didn't realize they put you in charge of that...

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 10:35 PM
THE Florida Panthers
Potvin Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gudbrunson View Post
I didn't realize they put you in charge of that...
Well... They did!

Old
01-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Android 16

Players have no clue where each one is going to be. They have no swagger with the puck. They have no concept of a give and go. No concept of having traffic in front. Too wiped out from going hard 5-on-5 to win puck battles on the PP. They get soft because they think they got a man up so they can get away with letting off the aggression. No one but Barkov can penetrate passing lanes for a one-timer. No concept of high to low or low to high for set-up one-timer. Completely oblivious to any type of offensive scheme. The coaching staff has coached the offense out of some players like Huby. Again, for the umpteenth time, we have no purely offensive players who know exactly how to take advantage of a powerplay. No one has that killer instinct. Guys like Kopecky should be the last option for a powerplay and we see him out there frequently. Guys like Fleischmann who miss the net more times than they hit the net shouldn't see powerplay time and we've seen him on the POINT.

In conclusion the powerplay is a total gongshow and I'm not sure we'll score another PP this season. And if we do; it'll be due to pure luck.

Android 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 10:24 AM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 310
Can we get Hulton back..?

I mean, his powerplay was bad but this one right now is..I dont know what to say

Boothinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 10:55 AM
PanthersHockey1
South by Southeast

The team lacks a guy who is willing to park it in front of the goalie screen him and be willing to get hit with a 100 mph slap shot if need be in order to score a goal.

Everyone is afraid to screen the goalie they move to the side of him or at the corner of the net instead of screening the ******* in order to score a goal.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote