HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Best game of all-time

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2003, 01:19 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Best game of all-time

What is the best game off all-time? What I mean is what is the most exciting dramatic game you have ever seen?
There are a lot of good selections: Montreal/Soviet game Dec.31/1975, Canada vs. Russia game 8 1972, Canada vs. Russia Game 3 1987, Canada vs. Russia 1984 Canada Cup Semi final, NYRangers vs. NYIslanders Game 5 0t 1984, Boston vs. Montreal Game 7 1979, NYIslanders vs. Washington Game 7 1987, USA vs. Canada 2002 Gold Medal Game, USA vs. Canada 1996 Game 3 World Cup. (Yes we Canadians cringe at that last one but really it was fun and intense to watch. Canada dominated the first two periods outshooting th US 32-14 but Mike Richter robbed us. I remember when he made a save on Damphousse on a breakaway that deked him out of his jock and he miracously got his stick on it).

Anyways, either of those are great as well as some others but the best in my opinion is Game 2 1987 Canada Cup Canada vs. Russia.
That game is a game that you never wanted to see end. The first sixty minutes were even thrilling. Canada leads 5-4 and all of the Sudden Valeri Kamensky does an end to end rush that made Mario Lemieux look like Brad Marsh. It was a beautiful goal. Then overtime comes and the KLM line strikes again.Vladimir Krutov rushes around the Canadaian defense and comes in on Fuhr before being poke chekced. This is only the opening minute, and remember Canda is down in the series 1-0. Fuhr played absolutley extraordinary and played a clutch goaltending game that all others should be measured by. That game had end to end rushes dazzling saves, lovely scoring chances and intense atmosphere. It wasn't until the 10:00 minute mark of the 2nd Overtime when Mario Lemieux scored on a scramble from Gretzky that tied the series and sent the Hamilton crowd in a frenzy. Those were two great teams playing very dramatic hockey. The KLM line were right near their primes as were Lemieux and Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Bourque and Fuhr. Yes, game 3 was a timeless classic too. It enabled Canada to win but Game 2 was what you wish every hockey game was like.

Anyone disagree? What's yours?

Old
11-06-2003, 10:12 AM
Terrier

Amongst my friends who follow hockey, the 1987 Canada Cup Final is generally regarded as "the best hockey ever played". Considering the talent list(Gretzky, Lemieux, KLM, etc.) and the three games that all ended 6-5, it's very hard to argue with that.

http://www3.telus.net/worldcuphockey/1987page.html

As for the greatest NHL game, my pick would be the 4-overtime Game 7 between the Islanders and Capitals, the "Easter Epic". Unlike long overtime games of today, this one was loaded with scoring chances and great game-saving stops. ESPN Classic replays it now and then.

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/history/easterstory.htm

Old
11-06-2003, 10:24 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

The greatest game I've ever seen was Game 6, NYR vs. Vancouver in the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals, and Game 7, NYR vs. New Jersey in the 1994 Wales Conference Finals (was it still called the Wales? I can't remember)

Old
11-06-2003, 11:51 AM
Malefic74

Greatest NHL game I ever watched was the game between the Caps and Isles as was already mentioned. At the time I could not have named more than 6 guys off of either team but I became thoroughly enraptured by that game. The saves that were made!

Speaking of saves and clutch goaltending, while Fuhr's performance in 87 was indeed great, the best I have ever seen, and even then only on tape, was the New Year's Classic between the then powerhouse Habs and the Soviets. Tretiak played the best ever game for a goaltender I have ever witnessed. The Habs absolutely shelled him, they basically ruled the rink and they simply Could. Not. Score.

Both games left me the same way when I had finished watching them. I was mentally exhausted. Particularly that Caps and Isles game. Games go into multiple overtime now, but it just is not the same. You were scared to leave the room for fear of missing a chance. Nowadays noone wants to be the goat so it becomes a dump and chase festival. Back then no one cared who the goat was, every player on the ice wanted to be the hero. And they played like it.

Old
11-06-2003, 12:09 PM
John Flyers Fan

I think the Finals of the 87 Canada Cup is as good as it gets.

Game 2 was the best of those 3.
Game 3 would be second
Game 1 would be last.

Sweden/Canada semifinal of the World Cup was a classic game.

For the NHL,

I watched every second of the Pens/Flyers 5 OT game in 2000, as well as the Isles/Caps 5 OT game in 1985. I saw the 3rd period and OT's of the Pens/Caps OT marathon in 98 (i think that was the year).

Flyers/Pens was most exciting to me because I'm a Flyers fan, but the Isles/Caps was game 7, so that might take the cake.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:36 PM
BigM

If you are a Canadian over age 40, so you remember all the hockey of the last 30 or so years...it's no contest: Game 8 Canada-Russia in 1972.

Canada (playing in Moscow with the cheating refs) coming back to win Games 6 and 7, and then the third period rally (Henderson!!!!!!!!) to take the series from the dreaded Commies.

For Canadian hockey fans, it's similar in impact (though not import) to the day JFK was shot. You remember where you were...it was such a matter of national pride.

The hockey teams in 1976 (the emergence of Denis Potvin) and 1987 (Mario's goal) were better...but for pure emotion, and the stuff that memories are made of, there is no comparison.

Old
11-10-2003, 12:47 PM
Big Phil

Usa/ussr 1980

As a Canadian, I still think that as far as drama goes the 1980 Semi-final "Miracle onIce" with USA and USSR is up there. Think about it. These were American College kids at the time. They beat the incredible Soviets 4-3 in something that should have never happened.
The Soviets were most likely the best team in the World at that time. They had beaten the NHL Stars in the '79 Challenge Cup.
Put it this way. Imagine the American Olympic team beating the Montreal Canadiens or the NY Islanders back then. Unheard of right? That's probably a good comparison.

Old
11-10-2003, 11:50 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

The two best ever I've seen has to the 1980 "Miracle on Ice" and Game 7 of the 1987 SCF between the Oilers and Flyers. Both were sooooooo awesome!!!

Old
11-11-2003, 12:01 PM
jiggs 10

The 1980 Olympic game between the USSR and the USA college boys was special for me (a 16 year old) and my friends and teammates. It gave us something to be proud of for years. And gave us the chance to play "fun" hockey, instead of up-and-down the wing hockey!

Game 4 of the 1996-97 Cup Final was great, just to watch Stevie Y finally get to lift the Cup and see the monkey fly off his back. Plus it was fun to watch Lindros fail! JK!

Darryl Sittler's 10 point night against the Bruins (rats!) was incredible. I watched it on HNiC, and even though I was upset because it was against Boston, I always thought Sittler was a class act for all-time. So it was OK that HE did it.

Watching Lanny McDonald's face when the Flames won the Cup was great, too. He looked like a little boy out there! Great stuff!

Lots of other games, but these stick out immediately for me.

Old
11-30-2003, 02:30 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

The best games I ever watched would be:

NHL - '71 Playoffs, Habs & Bruins - Game 7
- Sittler's 10 point night
- Good Friday Massacre - 1984(I'm a Habs fan)

Internationally

- Game 8 Summit Series '72 - Our teacher bought a tv right into the classroom

- 1987 Canada Cup - Mario's goal
- 1984 Canada Cup - When Coffery robbed the Russians on a breakaway and when down and scored.

Old
11-30-2003, 08:16 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

I like the 5 OT game between the Pens and Flyers. That game had everything: great goaltending from Tugnutt and Boucher, Jagr putting in one of the gutsiest performances I've seen playing an hour on one good leg, a nice game winning goal rather than some garbage play that has been known to end long OT games, and so on. I remember I started out watching it by myself and by the time it was over there were at least a half-dozen people glued to the game with me.

Old
11-30-2003, 09:01 PM
Habsfunk

Someone has to release a DVD set of the 1987 Canada Cup final in its entirety. I was only 7 at the time so barely remember them at all. Its been talked about so much and I've seen highlights but never have I seen the games in their entirety. Meanwhile game 8 of 1972 gets shown all the time. While it is more important historically, the 1987 series should be show again one day.

Old
12-01-2003, 12:14 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
The greatest game I've ever seen was Game 6, NYR vs. Vancouver in the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals
I'm still yelling at the ref for that call on Ronning :mad:

I like a game from the same year, game seven against Calgary.. Adams scoring the tying goal as the game winds down and then the thriller overtime..

Old
12-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Flyers26

1980 USA vs. USSR
87' canada cup
87' SC finals 6 & 7 Flyers vs. Edmonton
(after the series, Wayne called Hexy the "toughest goalie" he had ever faced)
00' 5 ot Flyers vs. Pens
(like John, I watched every minute of that game!)
03' 4 ot Flyers vs Toronto
( same... watched every minute... what a physical 7 game series)

worst game ever:
1980 Flyers vs Isles offsides game! What a missed called, Isles tied the game, took the momentum, and won the series!

Old
12-02-2003, 11:41 AM
Canadian Chris

I'd have to agree with those saying th 87 Canada Cup Final...

As well as those that have mentioned a few of the games from the 94 playoffs...Canucks/Rangers Game 7, Devils Rangers Game 7 and Canucks Flames game 7...

I'd also like to point out, and this is of course, my opinion, but I thought the 2002 Gold medal game Canada/USA was pretty damn entertaining....

Old
12-02-2003, 01:28 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chris
I'd also like to point out, and this is of course, my opinion, but I thought the 2002 Gold medal game Canada/USA was pretty damn entertaining....
If the U.S. had brought their "A" game that day, it could have been one of the greatest. They didn't.

I don't quite remember the Easter Epic being a series of end-to-end rushes. Each period started that way, and then players would get tired. My thought at the time wasn't, "wow, who's gonna score" but "geez, is anyone going to score?"

It was certainly a memorable game, though.

I think some of my favorite games were those Habs/Islanders tilts in the late '70s. As good as the '79 Finals turned out to be, I remember being incredibly disappointed when the Islanders were upset by the Rangers. I was waiting all year for that playoff series.

Old
12-03-2003, 12:33 PM
Canadian Chris

hence why I said it was my opinion. I thought the game was entertaining and exciting. It is quite probable that this was due to what was on the line, but still, that shouldn't be held at fault. Sure, the Americans didn't bring their 'A' game, but it was still a damn good game, with some pretty good saves.

All in all, I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell me what MY OPINION was thank you

Old
12-03-2003, 12:51 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
93' Playoffs, Stanley Cup Finals

Montreal vs L.A(Games 2, 3, 4,5)

Games 3 and 4, Johnny LeClair scored both overtime winners in L.A to help the habs take a 3-1 lead on the Kings

Game 5, the habs defeat the Kings 4-1 and win the Stanley Cup.

I also though Game 2 was awesome, when Demers pointed out McSorely's illegal stick and he got a penalty....Desjardins scored with 1:15 left in the 3rd to tie the game and scored his hatrick in overtime.....great times those were

Old
12-03-2003, 12:54 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
93' Playoffs, Stanley Cup Finals

Montreal vs L.A(Games 2, 3, 4,5)

Games 3 and 4, Johnny LeClair scored both overtime winners in L.A to help the habs take a 3-1 lead on the Kings

Game 5, the habs defeat the Kings 4-1 and win the Stanley Cup.

I also though Game 2 was awesome, when Demers pointed out McSorely's illegal stick and he got a penalty....Desjardins scored with 1:15 left in the 3rd to tie the game and scored his hatrick in overtime.....great times those were

Long live Serge Savard for sending Desjardins & LeClair both to Philly

Old
12-04-2003, 04:37 AM
Flyers26

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Long live Serge Savard for sending Desjardins & LeClair both to Philly
What a trade for the Flyers! Has to go down as one of the best trades in Philly history.

Old
01-01-2004, 05:53 PM
Hockeymad

1. 1980 US vs USSR- we were playing a pee wee tounament in toronto. We met our Canadian billets at the hotel then we all gathered around the TV in the lounge to watch the game- if you can imagine 40 12 yr olds and their parents, all who just met, stuffed next to each other trying to watch the game, you could have heard a pin drop the during the third period.

2. Anyone see Russia vs Czech Rep 1998 Olympics? Even though I am not a citzen of either country, I could feel the intensity through the TV

Old
01-02-2004, 06:38 PM
bleedgreen

its a sentimental one without all the fame and glory, but the 2nd to last home game ever for the whale, had them against buffalo fighting for the same last playoff spot. the whale promised fans they make the playoffs one last time-the last 2 months took forever up and down the whole time. it was the most exciting game i ever witnessed live. the primeau brothers fought each other(the stories say keith called home to ma to apologize for beating wayne up between periods). sanderson iced the game with a breakaway from center on hasek. the lost the next 2 on the road to be eliminated- but it was heaven for a night.
i was also at game 6 dallas vs avs 98or 99. drurys first big game winner top shelf in double ot, the same game matvichuck separated forsbergs shoulder with vicious cross check into the boards. he ended up having surgery and missed a lot of the next season, but he finished the game AND the series. him coming out for his next shift was amazing.
How about usa vs canada game 3 world cup 1996?

Old
01-02-2004, 06:46 PM
Lowetide

Oilers Chick mentioned the Oilers-Flyers game in the finals, that was pure bedlam and really neither team should have lost. I remember the 1971 final very well, although I was a Bruins fan then Dryden's handling of the B's and then the series against the Hawks was amazing.

More recently, the Leafs-Kings series was terrific, and had the ref not blown the call on 99 it may have been a Leaf-Hab final.

Agree as well on Lanny, after he scored that goal it was kind of surreal.

Old
01-17-2004, 10:17 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1040
Game 6 of the 1987 Finals between Philadelphia and Edmonton when Jean Jacques Daigneault scored the most improbable goal I have ever seen. The noise from the crowd at the Spectrum was staggering. I think it was the third time in the series the Flyers came back from a two-goal deficit against the incredibly strong Oilers.

Old
01-30-2004, 05:46 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
One of the recent great games i've seen (i'm pretty young, and i'm a Habs fan) was game 3 of the 2002 first-round, Montreal vs. Boston. It was right after Koivu came back. The Habs were trailing 3-1 going into the 3rd period, and the story is that Doug Gilmour stood up in the room and really got the rest of the team going. Bottom line, Habs rallied to win 5-3. The best part was Koivu scoring the game-winning goal, his 1st goal after recovering from cancer. It was in Montreal and, being a Habs fan, you could just feel the emotion coming into the room.

Closed Thread