HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Klein to NYR for Michael Del Zotto

Old
01-22-2014, 03:34 PM
jonlin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
NNNNNOOOOOO

Worst frreaking trade I have ever seen DP make.

I imagine the locker room is pissed as hell. I certainly am.

Yeah right. Sucks to trade this:

NHL TOTALS 403 16 66 82 -27 110 1 0 2 417 3.8

for this:

NHL TOTALS 292 26 95 121 -4 116 8 2 3 397 6.5

And yes, I know that stats aint everything, Klein was a fanfavorite blablabla. IMO Preds won this by a mile!

jonlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:35 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Bye KK

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:40 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
If Del Zotto regains his form you can expect a #3 who's good defensively with an edge and solid on the breakout. Don't expect much on the powerplay, Del Zotto and the powerplay are like oil and water. But that's really the only issue I had with him. That and the occasional "what the **** was that worst player ever trade this guy" breakdown. Maybe Trotz can address those. Even with that, I still think he's underrated defensively.

I think this is a good trade for both teams. Preds needs a LHD to compliment whichever one of Weber/Jones/Ellis isn't playing with Josi. Rangers needed a RHD as insurance if Girardi asks for the moon.

Just tell Klein to pack his coat and boots. We're in the middle of our most wicked arctic surge in 30 years. So wicked that the weather man said it snowed in Nashville, can anyone attest?
He definitely is. He was one of our more physical defenders, and the reason people are ragging on him this season is because his offense kind of went down. His defensive play has been fine for a few years and it's been that way this year, too. He's prone to the occasional really dumb mistake, but every defenseman is.

His footspeed isn't out of this world, his wrist shot is the stronger of his shots, but he likes to pick corners and it often backfires with the puck coming out of the zone because of his shot. His slapper is pretty much nonexistant. On the other hand, he's a fairly good stick handler, his vision and playmaking are pretty good and his breakout pass is excellent.

I can't really comment on the value of the deal because I don't watch the west much, but MDZ has gotten a bad rap since his rookie year for being poor defensively (because he was then), but it kind of never cooled off and people around here think he's just "terrible" defensively. He's not. In fact, I'd say he's better defensively than offensively at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if in a year everyone is going to be saying how moving to Nashville changed him as a player and he suddenly got better defensively, while in reality its just their opinions that changed - he's been good/decent for a while now.

If he manages to click on the Nashville PP, you guys will have gotten a steal. His problems have always been more mental than anything. He also used to kind of be a party boy, but I think Richards kinda stamped it out of him when he got here.

Oh, and he also seems to play better when given more responsibility/playing time. He averaged I believe 23-24 minutes a game the two years before this. You can play him on the PK and not be more worried than really with putting any other defenseman there that isn't completely outstanding.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:42 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Has to be said but I will really miss KK. His head knoding during bench interveiws was awesome. His interveiws were also great and his play has been really solid the past few seasons. This year has also been a bit of a bown year for him though so hopefully he will get things turned around for himself as well in NY. Best of luck KK and I will root for you as long as the rangers are not playing the preds.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:43 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
The thing is, Del Zotto is terrible.
The thing is, no he isn't.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:47 PM
weeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
The fact we traded a right hand shot for a lefty is a good thing and means Weber/Jones/Ellis will not be going anywhere. They will be our RHD's going forward on the 1-2-3 pairings respectively.

The left side of our D needed work and this is a huge improvement over what we were working with. It allows players to play on their natural side and that means more than most people realise.

While we do need a scoring forward this move will also improve our offense because you can't score if you can't get the puck out of your own zone. A puck moving lefty d-man will help a ton when it comes to getting the puck out oof our own end cleanly.
I agree! All of those people saying the sky is falling because we traded away our 2/3 line pairing RHD man are nuts! We needed a LHD man in the worst way. MDZ fits that bill! I liked KK as much as the next guy, and will still like him as a NYR but the Preds needed to make a move for a LHD men and made a good move. I still think Ellis can be packaged with someone to bring in a top 6, not top 3 but a good top 6.

Good move GMDP!

weeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 03:57 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Sucks to lose a fan favorite and such a good guy, but it makes sense.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 04:01 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

I don't like this trade for the Preds. MDZ is a soft under achiever. Ellis is better IMO and now it looks like Ellis will be dealt. Otherwise there's just not enough ice time to go around for all the 'offensive dmen'

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 04:09 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Currently, Klein is the better player in the deal but MDZ playing under Trotz? Playing with someone as talented as Seth Jones or Shea Weber? Dude should really thrive in the Nashville system (he still might make some defensive blunders but he has worked on that part of his game and while not this season, has definitely shown signs that he can play a solid d-game). He should find 30-40 point form. He'll have ups and downs and you'll love and hate him on different nights. Just my prediction. Plus this trade solves both teams' issues (Preds overloaded on the RD side, Rangers on the LD side) so it's a pretty fair trade.

good luck guys!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 04:13 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop12 View Post
I don't like this trade for the Preds. MDZ is a soft under achiever. Ellis is better IMO and now it looks like Ellis will be dealt. Otherwise there's just not enough ice time to go around for all the 'offensive dmen'
to be fair, as an outsider, if you have Weber and Jones as your 1-2 RD's you really should deal Ellis (and deal from a position of strength) as an offensive d, Ellis will never get the ice time he needs behind those two. You are better off having yourself a solid top 6 d who can kill penalties and be tough. Klein was a good candidate for that but even though he has a great contract, you're probably gonna want to find an economically friendlier option for your bottom pairing.

If I was a Pred's fan, I can't say I'd be sad if Ellis+ got flipped for Eberle.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 04:25 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

im partial on this trade. loved kleins defense, but MDZ will help make us a more offensively rounded team. if he can cycle were golden. klein could not provide that skill.

now like has been mentioned ellis COULD be moved now while his value is good for a forward...Eberle would be awesome, maybe even voracek, but we'd have to add a lot.

CantbeatzPekka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 04:49 PM
PFL615

I like the move. Del Zotto should bring more offense and it will get Jones on his correct side.
I also like Poile not sitting on his hands. Hope their is more to come.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 04:53 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlin View Post

Yeah right. Sucks to trade this:

NHL TOTALS 403 16 66 82 -27 110 1 0 2 417 3.8

for this:

NHL TOTALS 292 26 95 121 -4 116 8 2 3 397 6.5

And yes, I know that stats aint everything, Klein was a fanfavorite blablabla. IMO Preds won this by a mile!
blah blah stats from a random poster. Weber is a -9 on the year stat wise

KK is a lot better than his stats and the fans in BNA know it

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 05:17 PM
The PH Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
The left side of our D needed work and this is a huge improvement over what we were working with. It allows players to play on their natural side and that means more than most people realise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
I agree! All of those people saying the sky is falling because we traded away our 2/3 line pairing RHD man are nuts!
Agree with both of these statements. Important to develop our system as much as possible with our natural-side pairings...esp with our Trotzian defensive-offense "rebuild".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Bye KK
But this hurts my heart. I did literally gasp when I got the notice from my NHL app, Klein was prob one of my favorite underrated players here, hope things go ok in NYC for him.

The PH Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 05:39 PM
braindead

Wow, I didn't expect the negativity here.... ok, I guess I did! This trade is all about Seth Jones, who should be playing on the right side and who probably will be in the Suter/Webber talent range in two years (far ahead of where they were at that age).

At the same time, people seem to forget KK's game at the age MdZ is at now. How quickly he moved from the brainfart king to rock solid, steady eddie is a good reminder of two things: 1. How freakin' good Seth Jones is right now; and 2. How long it takes to mature into this league typically. MdZ is a far safe bet than KK was at the same age.

As soon as Jones panned out (15 minutes into game 1 of the season), KK was blocking him from his annointed spot. Meanwhile, we were stuck with glaring holes at the forward position and the #2 LHD spot. KK had to be traded at some point for one or the other. Complain if you want that Poile filled the LHD spot first (or didn't get rid of Shea?) but this is a pure hockey trade.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Nashville Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
The thing is, no he isn't.

This has the potential to be a great trade for the Preds, and a pretty decent one for the Rangers as well. And, don't think about trading Ellis any time in the near future unless DP finds someone willing to give up a big piece to the puzzle. Ellis is making quite a statement over the last group of games.

Liking this team a whole lot more these days... now all we have to do is get Stalberg to admit his last name is really Kostitsyn, and I'm all in

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Russian Pred
ˇNo Pasarán!

Link to video of DP talking about the trade: http://www.tennessean.com/videonetwo...=47564749001_1

Russian Pred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:16 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Everyone who think this trade is awful need to ****ing relax. MDZ is gonna bring more to the table for us than kk ever did. He's gonna be under Housley, Weber, Josi, and I'd even say being with a superstar prospect like Jones will only help him. He's only 23 and has so much growing to do still.

He's physical, has offensive abilities, and apparently his defense has improved a lot.

Plus we need a LHD. I think this a Win Win

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:19 PM
INDhockeyfan

Wow this was a trade I wasn't expecting. Trading Klein for a LHD. Klein was basically playing on our 3rd pair ice time wise lately. Will be interesting to see if MDZ plays with Jones or Ellis. I do think this is just the first move by Poile. You don't play the way we have all year and not expect some changes.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Everyone who think this trade is awful need to ****ing relax. MDZ is gonna bring more to the table for us than kk ever did. He's gonna be under Housley, Weber, Josi, and I'd even say being with a superstar prospect like Jones will only help him. He's only 23 and has so much growing to do still.

He's physical, has offensive abilities, and apparently his defense has improved a lot.

Plus we need a LHD. I think this a Win Win
Perhaps we can land a few more point gathering d-men and eliminate forwards on the team.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:34 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Perhaps we can land a few more point gathering d-men and eliminate forwards on the team.

Sure we need a Forward and not getting one in a trade sucks, but the problem with not getting a D back in this trade is who would be the call up to replace Klein on D? Trotz sure as hell is not going to play both Bartley and Ekholm. This team has little defensive depth that is ready for the NHL right now. I guess they could always call up career AHL'er Piskula to play.

Preds33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:43 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I wonder if we could do something along the lines of Sven Baertschi for Spaling+Ellis

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:48 PM
INDhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Yoshi View Post
I wonder if we could do something along the lines of Sven Baertschi for Spaling+Ellis
The way Poile talked we aren't trading Ellis. We are going to trade Legwand + to get a forward.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 06:49 PM
Flgatorguy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
I don't see the big deal.

Klein was a 2nd pairing defensive Dman. Those guys are a dime a dozen in the NHL. The best thing you can say about him was that he was cheap.

MDZ is a lottery ticket that might work out, might not.

I don't see how this is some crushing blow or dooms us to mediocrity for the next decade.
You sir!!! You are far to logical for this thread...you must leave and make 3 different proposals trading away Bartley and Spaling for a 30 goal scorer.

Flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 07:04 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Trying to compare apples to apples here: first four seasons of del Zotto, in 82-game format:

8 goals, 36 points, Even, 35 PIM, 1 GW, 109 SOG, 1,715 minutes.

Kleiner's first four seasons (combining his 06/07/08 seasons where he was bouncing from MKE to NSH), in 82-game format:

3 goals, 15 points, -2, 26 PIM, 0 GW, 75 SOG, 1,471 minutes.

I'd say we got an upgrade. And del Zotto is younger. Not thrilled about the $2.55 mil cap hit, though.

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote