HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Larry Brooks Rangers rumors

Old
01-31-2007, 05:58 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Larry Brooks Rangers rumors

According to Larry,the Rangers were never in the Craig Conroy hunt.They had no interest in assuming nearly $2.4 million in salary for a 36 year old center

Peter Forsberg isn't an option due to his risk reward being to rich for the Rangers blood

Quote:
Plan A appears to be St. Louis' Keith Tkachuk, who, in the final season of a contract under which he earns $5.7 million, has played a significant amount of center for the Blues this season while re-elevating his game. Tkachuk, 34 in March, has a no-trade clause, but it's believed he would waive it to become a rental player with the Blueshirts.

But the cost isn't going to be at all cheap, even if it's understood that Tkachuk would return to St. Louis after becoming an unrestricted free agent on July 1. Blues president John Davidson isn't going to do the Rangers any favors here. He's going to be seeking a bounty for Tkachuk. The Rangers insist they will refuse to yield any of their most-prized assets. In addition to Marc Staal, Brandon Dubinsky, Bobby Sanguinetti and Ryan Callahan, that list also now includes Petr Prucha
The Rangers have inquired about Bryan Smolinski and Josef Vasicek.Nashville has expressed "at least a passing interest" in Karel Rachunek and Aaron Ward

Another nugget concerns Darius Kasparaitis

Quote:
The Islanders inquired about Darius Kasparaitis over the weekend, asking if the Blueshirts would place him on re-entry waivers so Garth Snow's club could claim him at a 50-percent discount rate, The Post has confirmed. The Rangers, however, have no interest whatsoever in carrying the $1.5 million of dead cap space next season that a re-entry claim would mandate
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01312007...rry_brooks.htm

If the Rangers have no interest in having dead money on their cap,then they are not going to buy out Kasparaitis either which would require the Rangers taking two $1 million cap hits over the next two seasons

Last edited by RangerBoy: 01-31-2007 at 07:17 AM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 07:19 AM
The Thomas J.*

Why would we do the Islanders any favors?

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:17 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
But the cost isn't going to be at all cheap, even if it's understood that Tkachuk would return to St. Louis after becoming an unrestricted free agent on July 1. Blues president John Davidson isn't going to do the Rangers any favors here. He's going to be seeking a bounty for Tkachuk. The Rangers insist they will refuse to yield any of their most-prized assets. In addition to Marc Staal, Brandon Dubinsky, Bobby Sanguinetti and Ryan Callahan, that list also now includes Petr Prucha.
**** that noise, JD. You can have Immonen, Jason Ward, Liffiton/Lampman and a 4th round pick. No Dane Byers or Michael Sauer or Tommy Pyatt or even Bruce Graham/Hugh Jessiman.

No, no, NO overpaying for rentals this year. Stick with the plan. And if you're going to trade young assets at all, you damn well better be doing it to acquire one or more other young assets.

Quote:
The Blueshirts, who have been engaged in various trade discussions with the Blackhawks since late October, have inquired about 35-year-old Bryan Smolinski, who will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. We're told Chicago would like to include 34-year-old defenseman Jassen Cullimore, who has one year remaining on his contract at $1.9 million, in a trade.
I have no interest in either of those players, unless we're sending three or more vets back. Again, stick with the plan - don't acquire placeholders that might maginally improve PO chances this year, but will have the side effect of also pushing off roster spot availability for one more year. See where you stand at the end of this year and then if you feel that you need one or more guys to fill out the roster for 07-08 because some of the kids aren't quite ready, then do it through signing a quality UFA with long-term benefits (like Chris Drury) in the offseason.

Quote:
In addition, the Blueshirts have talked to Nashville about 26-year-old Josef Vasicek, who also is eligible to become a free agent this July. It is believed the Predators have expressed at least a passing interest in either Aaron Ward or Karel Rachunek. This might explain why Thomas Pock was the automatic seventh man out the past two games, though he is expected to play tonight in place of Michal Rozsival, who sprained a knee during Monday's 6-1 victory in Boston.
I've got NO problem with shopping either of those players, especially if it means Pock and Girardi are both playing afterwards - I just hope they've taken Pock aside, explained the situation to him and he's on board with the plan and thinking about resigning. (Although I would hope that we could get more for our big free agent signing over the summer, Aaron Ward.)

Question though: why we are we targeting Vasicek? His 13 points are hardly the answer at 2nd line C. Sounds like we'd be acquiring our 17th solid 3rd line/above average 4th line forward. Why?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:47 AM
JerseyRangers

I'm not sold on Tkachuk at all. First off not sure his attitude would help this team. Also, his best days are way behind him and is he really the guy to dish the biscuit to Shanny. Center is certainly not is best position (although I do believe he did play center in college). Really not liking any of the names I've heard thrown around. Still think that Immo should be given a long look at that spot.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:50 AM
Levitate

Vasicek has the skill to be a second line center...but he's never really put it all together at once, and has had some injury problems I believe. The pending FA thing also makes him less attractive as a pickup.

I also don't see why the Rangers are targeting Tkachuck, when what they really need is a center. So you have Tchakuck on one side, Shanny on the other, and Betts in the middle? Who's gonna get the two scorers the puck? No...years too late on Tkachuck here. Especially for a rental.

Can't say I'm impressed with the guys the Rangers are supposedly targeting. I'm not a fan of Smolinski in this situation, but I guess he'd be better than Betts at center.

At least the Rangers are saying they won't give up youth

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:57 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

Question though: why we are we targeting Vasicek? His 13 points are hardly the answer at 2nd line C. Sounds like we'd be acquiring our 17th solid 3rd line/above average 4th line forward. Why?
Its almost like we're trying to copy the Sabres, except instead of a team fun of 2nd line players, we're going for a team of 4th liners

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:01 AM
pld459666

Additionally, Keith Tkachuk is no where near the answer for our 2nd line Center spot becuase Keith Tkacuhk is primarily a LW'er.

I'd pass on him as a center.

I'd prefer Weight as the option for the 2nd line center spot.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:04 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
**** that noise, JD. You can have Immonen, Jason Ward, Liffiton/Lampman and a 4th round pick. No Dane Byers or Michael Sauer or Tommy Pyatt or even Bruce Graham/Hugh Jessiman.

No, no, NO overpaying for rentals this year. Stick with the plan. And if you're going to trade young assets at all, you damn well better be doing it to acquire one or more other young assets.

I have no interest in either of those players, unless we're sending three or more vets back. Again, stick with the plan - don't acquire placeholders that might maginally improve PO chances this year, but will have the side effect of also pushing off roster spot availability for one more year. See where you stand at the end of this year and then if you feel that you need one or more guys to fill out the roster for 07-08 because some of the kids aren't quite ready, then do it through signing a quality UFA with long-term benefits (like Chris Drury) in the offseason.

I've got NO problem with shopping either of those players, especially if it means Pock and Girardi are both playing afterwards - I just hope they've taken Pock aside, explained the situation to him and he's on board with the plan and thinking about resigning. (Although I would hope that we could get more for our big free agent signing over the summer, Aaron Ward.)

Hey Brooklyn dude, do you see now why I was skeptical of what Maloney said on the FAN? I know these are only Larry Brooks rumors, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Rangers haven't at the very least inquired about all these old guys.

That's what I was saying in the other thread. This is the Rangers MO. It's what we do. It's who we be.

Yeah, Don, we're going to stay the course and bring up the kids as they become ready. Oh, and we're also going to go after other teams aging veterans too.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:15 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
Hey Brooklyn dude, do you see now why I was skeptical of what Maloney said on the FAN? I know these are only Larry Brooks rumors, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Rangers haven't at the very least inquired about all these old guys.

That's what I was saying in the other thread. This is the Rangers MO. It's what we do. It's who we be.

Yeah, Don, we're going to stay the course and bring up the kids as they become ready. Oh, and we're also going to go after other teams aging veterans too.
Why shouldn't they at least inquire about them?

01-31-2007, 09:22 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Big no on Tkachuk, I'd rather overpay for Forsberg than Tkachuk.

I'd rather just stand pat and not trade any youngsters.

This team doesn't have a chance of competing for a cup unless there's a complete overhaul on defense, and we add a 1st/2nd line center, and some actual shutdown forwards.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:30 AM
Fletch

Just a question...

would it be better to take a $1.5MM cap hit next season and zero the season after, or take a $1MM cap hit next season and a $1MM cap hit the following season?

Unfortunately, for this team to really make noise in the playoffs (assuming they make it - I think they're ninth, and only 2 points ahead of the Islanders), they'll need a second line centerman (duh!). Any quality second line centerman will cost money. Many rentals will cost money. The organization will have to decide what it wants to do. It's a tough call since this team is pretty close.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:30 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Vasicek?

Quote:
In other news, the Post is reporting that team may be in discussions with Nashville about shipping off Aaron Ward or Karel Rachunek in return for Josef Vasicek. A Ward deal to the Predators is something that’s been floating around for a couple of days, although in all honesty, I never heard who for. I know there are plenty of you out there that would prefer to see Rachunek shipped off first. But let’s just say that all the deficiencies that you see in Rachunek’s game are the ones that Nashville’s scouts see as well.
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

I dont know about this. While if it were Rachunek straight up, i might go for it since Girardi's play IMO has been solid and you can always bring up Baranka too. Another czech? Would he center the top line with Jagr and Straka? Renney has said he likes Nylander with Shanny. He did win a cup... but im curious why Nashville would let him go, unless they want a defensman because of injury or security for the playoff run. In that case it would have to be Ward.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 01-31-2007 at 09:35 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:33 AM
TomLaidlaw

I am glad to see Prucha on the list of untouchables I don't want him to go anywhere.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:40 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Sorry guys, i didnt see this anywhere, thanks for moving it.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:42 AM
Kostik

Vasicek is not the best option for 2nd line center.
Although i saw him for many times during the lockout in Czech Extraliga, and after breakout year he had year before in Carolina it looks like he would be very solid 2nd line center.But last two year are mysery from Vasicek...it's high risk to trade for Josef, and for Ward or Rachunek?NO.
IMHO Rachunek has slightly better value than Ward in my eyes...i see more potential in him.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:43 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Why shouldn't they at least inquire about them?
Inquiring is one thing. If the Flyers will take Malik for Forsberg, make the trade. If the Blues will take Malik for Tkachuk, make the trade. JD did love Malik's move in the shootout.

But anything regarding trading our youth contradicts what they've been telling us about staying the course. But that shouldn't be a surprise, this team ALWAYS goes for the short-term fix over development. That's why we're the Rangers and the Devils are the Devils.

If we were one or even two players away from cup contention, maybe. But we're not even close. Don't get carried away by the last two victories. The Flyers and the Bruins are possibly the two worst teams in hockey. IF we make it to the playoffs we'll be playing someone like the Sabres or the Devils, which means one and done again, with or without the old guys.

I won't complain until they actually trade young for old. Right now all I'm saying is, they shouldn't trade young for old.

Old
01-31-2007, 09:48 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Tkachuk - NO, old and not a true center

Smolinski - NO, old and not an upgrade over any of our centers

Vasicek - this is the guy that really interests me. Sure, he only has 13 points. However, don't forget that he has had a 45 point season with the Canes (19 goals).

Here's what attracts me to this guy:
Whether he can be a 2nd line center is in question, yes. What is not in question is that we don't have enough depth at Center. More than that, we don't have any Big and Skilled centers. Look at our Centers now:
Nylander - small
Cullen - small
Krog - tiny
Betts - decent size, but no skill

You guys forget that in the playoffs you often do need a big center to go against other big centers like Brind'amour, Holik, Lecavalier, etc. Who is going to handle those guys? Sure, Betts is decent, but he can't score for his life...Vasicek is a definite upgrade.

Vasicek is only 26. If all we give up is Rachunek and let's say Hall (maybe Nashville will take him back) then I'm all for this deal.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:52 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
This team doesn't have a chance of competing for a cup unless there's a complete overhaul on defense, and we add a 1st/2nd line center, and some actual shutdown forwards.
Almost every NHL team needs that.
Rangers plan to get to playoffs and get pass the first round. Most fans would be ok with that and Dolan would collect the playoffs revenues. To do that without a rental player(s) is close to impossible. Thus, they are looking around. If you don't want to give you are not going to get. Therefore the players discussed are are sort of second layer as far as quality is concerned. They may be helpful, though...

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:56 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Inquiring is one thing. If the Flyers will take Malik for Forsberg, make the trade. If the Blues will take Malik for Tkachuk, make the trade. JD did love Malik's move in the shootout.

But anything regarding trading our youth contradicts what they've been telling us about staying the course. But that shouldn't be a surprise, this team ALWAYS goes for the short-term fix over development. That's why we're the Rangers and the Devils are the Devils.

If we were one or even two players away from cup contention, maybe. But we're not even close. Don't get carried away by the last two victories. The Flyers and the Bruins are possibly the two worst teams in hockey. IF we make it to the playoffs we'll be playing someone like the Sabres or the Devils, which means one and done again, with or without the old guys.

I won't complain until they actually trade young for old. Right now all I'm saying is, they shouldn't trade young for old.
Then you agree that they should at least inquire about these guys.

And if you are still surprised by this administration saying one thing and doing another, I don't know what to tell you. I learned that from Sather saying, "I don't have interest in Eric Lindros".

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:06 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Then you agree that they should at least inquire about these guys.

And if you are still surprised by this administration saying one thing and doing another, I don't know what to tell you. I learned that from Sather saying, "I don't have interest in Eric Lindros".
Sure they can inquire, Sather should do something except chomp on his cigar for a change. But when a young player is brought up by the other team, Sather should hang up. I doubt he does. Thus the danger in inquiring.

The administration's past lies and mistakes don't make it OK to keep lying and making mistakes. That's exactly my point. Let's stop bringing in old guys, and build with our youth, like they've been telling us we're finally going to do.

Old
01-31-2007, 10:07 AM
94now

Quote:
Inquiring is one thing. If the Flyers will take Malik for Forsberg, make the trade. If the Blues will take Malik for Tkachuk, make the trade.
Why would you give Malik away so easily? He doesn't play well now, but he is proven NHLer. If player once was good, he might be good again unless too old. It is more probable for Mlaik to get back than for some young guys to pan out.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:10 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Vasicek missed most of last season with an injury. He's had a tough time breaking into the lineup on a very deep Nashville team. The Preds have been looking for a veteran defenseman to add depth on their back line. Rachunek makes a ton of sense because it's essentially our 6th defenseman for your 12th forward. Ward may not make as much sense for either team because of the length and depth of his contract and that he is a good stabilizing force on th Rangers defense. I'd do Rachunek in a heartbeat.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:15 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Why would you give Malik away so easily? He doesn't play well now, but he is proven NHLer. If player once was good, he might be good again unless too old. It is more probable for Mlaik to get back than for some young guys to pan out.
Well there is another thread about Malik, but the point was I'd like to give away one of our useless veterans instead of youth. Malik is a useless veteran, but he's not the only one.

Malik was good three years ago when the rules allowed him to stop skating, and hook and hold and hang all over people with his big body. Now those are called penalties, but he still does it anyway because he's too slow and lazy, and that's all he can do. Unless the league reverts back to the old system, Malik will remain useless.

Old
01-31-2007, 10:17 AM
Garv23

Quote:
Let's stop bringing in old guys
I agree, dude. I think we all know this team this year is probably not going to win the cup, yes?

So why, why, why, why WWWWHHHHYYYYYYYY make moves like this? If anything, try to get rid of Malik or Hall. I don't care if all we get in return is a water boy.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:19 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Vasicek missed most of last season with an injury. He's had a tough time breaking into the lineup on a very deep Nashville team. The Preds have been looking for a veteran defenseman to add depth on their back line. Rachunek makes a ton of sense because it's essentially our 6th defenseman for your 12th forward. Ward may not make as much sense for either team because of the length and depth of his contract and that he is a good stabilizing force on th Rangers defense. I'd do Rachunek in a heartbeat.
Length and depth of Ward's contract?1 year at $2.75 million?

The issue is Vasicek isn't the answer either

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote