HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2014, 02:15 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

vCash: 500
Eakins says a lot of smart things about the games, and he does have the veteran players usually playing fairly well.

But soooooo many other problems.

Old
01-22-2014, 03:19 PM
Paralyzer008

Dallas Eakins to the media today: "I firmly know that if I don't get this group going soon, it could be me"

Old
01-22-2014, 03:22 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Dallas Eakins to the media today: "I firmly know that if I don't get this group going soon, it could be me"
For real??

Old
01-22-2014, 03:35 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

He'll be gone if the Oilers hit DFL in the standings when Buffalo passes them... if I keep saying that it will come true.. if I keep saying that it will come true.

I still have faith and hope.

Old
01-22-2014, 03:41 PM
AK Dandyman

Here's my thoughts on our d zone defensive system. Not a lot of answers, just something to chew on.

It was awful at the start of the season, it did improve somewhat but it's still ineffective due to our players mix and a number of other reasons.

Early in the season, Eakins tried to play a full swarm in the d zone, which is to put high puck pressure on opposing puck carrier, to force them to outside near the board, then our second player(usually a forward when opponents cycle up the puck) come in from an angle(blocking the passing lane to the middle angle) would come in to double team the puck carrier and dispossess him with a body check or pinching him to the board. Also, the D men would not go chasing further than above the faceoff dot(Krueger's syetem had the d men chased all the way up to the blue line), if puck carrier skates back high to the blueline, our d men would hand over the check to a forward teammate about when they hit the faceoff dot and then retreat.

This failed because of many things, but one of the biggest problems was with the forwards. They were coming in late because they're not in the right d positioning to start with but that can be taught. However, the number 1 problem was, when our forwards got there to the puck carrier for the check, they do not put a body on the opposition or even get in the way as they would only waive their sticks and then fly by. When our d man is chasing the puck carrier taking puck back towards the blue line or an open space, the d man's job is to prevent the puck carrier cutting into a prime scoring position. Therefore in this situation, our d man is relying on the forward teammate to stop the puck carrier by getting in the way. However, our forwards, especially these skill guys Gagner, Eberle, Hemsky, Hall, Yakupov, don't deliver hit nor use their bodies to get in the way(Perron or RNH would at least get in the way).

On top of not able to check opponents there, some of these skill guys would try waiving their sticks to intercept a pass, and then proceed to take a skating angle that's "assuming" they can pick off the pass and breaking out for offense. When they couldn't intercept the pass, they're in no man's land(bad d position). This allows the opposing players space to freelance in our d zone and go anywhere they want without having to stop or being put to a stop. And our forwards are caught behind the play and always too late to get back in a good defensive position even this has been a single zone play in our zone for a while(not like this is a counter attack breakout where the forwards getting caught up ice). The opponents would just give n go, move their feet and they would maintain possession until they found someone wide open.

This is why other teams can control the play so well in our zone for a long duration of time and generate dangerous scoring chances so often. Our 2 D men are basically killing an even strength penalty because they're shorthanded as their forwards couldn't stop or check anybody. For example, we almost never see our skilled wingers pushed the opposing d man out of our zone at the blue line after that opposing d man passed or shot the puck. Therefore, their d man can pass the puck, then move into better offensive position freely to receive a return pass in open because our forward would just skate by them. If the opposing D man was body checked(like most of the NHL teams forward are required to do so), he would have to skate from a stand still or skate farther to get open again. That means his teammates have lost an offensive passing option because his D man is not in position to receive a return pass after getting body checked. This would have given our d men or another forward more time to get in on the puck carrier instead of the opponents just give n go past them skating free in our own zone.

I think Eakins finally figured out this swarm weren't working with the players we have, so he changed it to a more passive zone d for the forwards instead of having the forwards to "swarm" the puck carrier by hitting and pinching them to the board. Now the forwards are supposed to stay on the "correct side of the puck", and to clog up a the middle more forcing the opponents to pass on the perimeter.

I am going to call this tone down version of the swarm, the buzz. Our soft forwards are like mosquitoes since they can't knock anyone out of position with their bodies, they'd go towards the opposition quickly and try a strategic sting on the puck carrier(by trying to steal the puck from them). and failing that, we're supposed to still be in the correct defensive position to disrupt opponents from making that perfect pass to the player in prime scoring position. With the swarm, they are further out of position because the soft forwards would just skate hard at the puck carrier and then fly by without hitting him.

The buzz basically disrupts or delays the opposing team getting the puck to prime scoring position. It is better than swarming. However, it's still not very effective because at the end of the day, when we don't put a body on the opponents, they can still skate freely in our own zone to receive pass.

Take a look at how other team hemming us in our zone with them moving the puck and themselves freely around untouched by pass and go, especially how much freedom their d men have when we have our skill guys on the ice.

Old
01-22-2014, 03:47 PM
jeety mcjeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
He'll be gone if the Oilers hit DFL in the standings when Buffalo passes them... if I keep saying that it will come true.. if I keep saying that it will come true.

I still have faith and hope.
Yup. I thought, a couple weeks ago, it would take a couple more 5 game losing streaks and we just earned the first one. 10 or so games to go before we earn the next one. The team straight sucks.

The Trotz quote just adds to the hilarity of this season - not Eakins fault but still another nail in coffin. This is a disaster all the way through. I wasn't onboard with firing Lowe because I didn't think it wouldn't change anything however enough is enough he needs to go along with the goalie coach and assistants.

Old
01-22-2014, 03:55 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
I hope by soon he means next game.

Old
01-22-2014, 03:59 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

That Trotz quote is a damning one.

Nashville is an organization that knows what it's doing with goaltenders too.

Old
01-22-2014, 04:00 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
That Trotz quote is a damning one.

Nashville is an organization that knows what it's doing with goaltenders too.
I'm sure Scrivens just gives Chabot the stink eye when he tries to coach him.

Old
01-22-2014, 05:39 PM
Dabomb

Like Craig Button said earlier in his big rant, I want to see Dallas start trying new things the rest of the season. With the season lost already, he should be using this time to try out new game plans, different PP setups, be not afraid to use Gazdic more when we're playing teams like Vancouver, etc etc.

Old
01-22-2014, 05:41 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Like Craig Button said earlier in his big rant, I want to see Dallas start trying new things the rest of the season. With the season lost already, he should be using this time to try out new game plans, different PP setups, be not afraid to use Gazdic more when we're playing teams like Vancouver, etc etc.
Agreed.

Pitlick and Fedun should be brought up.

RNH should be moved off the right side wall of the PP and Hall and Yakupov should take turns there instead for starters.

I'd keep playing Gagner with Hall/RNH or Eberle to inflate his trade value.

Old
01-22-2014, 09:03 PM
plikestechno

Quote:
I think this is one last gauntlet thrown down for the players. He's testing them to see if they'll actually play for him. He still thinks that he's doing nothing wrong and that this is all the players' fault. That coaching isn't the problem.

Lowe and MacT have too much ego to fire him after one year and Katz won't want to do the big payout for the remainder of the contract.

If things don't turn around I can see Eakins just walking out on the team. Happens all the time in other sports and staying here longer will only reduce his chances of getting another NHL job down the road. People in the East still love him and stick up for him and like him blame the team for being terrible, not the coach. He's already lashed out at fans, he's already lashed out at kids at his daughter's school for telling them that their dad sucks.

I pray that he quits on one hand, but I don't have faith in this management group finding the right coach on the other hand.

A man needs to come in and coach this team. A Quenneville, a Babcock, a Trotz. Maybe Babcock will finally get fired in Detroit and we could hire him. I'd even take Renney back as an assistant. So mad that Hitchcock was floating around forever and we didn't hire him.

But who knows if coaching will change anything, this organization is rotten to the core.

Old
01-22-2014, 09:12 PM
belair

Quote:
He sure knows how to talk the talk.

Must be why he was hired.

What exactly is 'going' though? They could win the next game 9-0 and we're still right where we stand if they lose the next four or five.

Old
01-22-2014, 09:17 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

This guy has the team in 29th and is still waiting for the team to adjust to his systems... no changes right now but after the Olympic break is the newest "revelation" to come from his mouth.

The GM that hired him gave him a 4 year deal... to a rookie HC who has zero HC experience at the NHL level and that same GM thinks all is swell and on pace for glory in the near future (along with the POHO and the Owner).

Way past time to find some realists who can replace the fantasy crew that are in place now.

Old
01-22-2014, 09:24 PM
redgrant

Quote:
Lets see the link to this quote....im shocked if he said this.

Old
01-22-2014, 09:31 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgrant View Post
Lets see the link to this quote....im shocked if he said this.
http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocen...544368&lang=en

Go to 11:10 or so

Old
01-22-2014, 09:38 PM
redgrant

Wow....lets hope hes right and he is gone.

Old
01-22-2014, 10:07 PM
rosemount289

I am just as........................???

I am just as unhappy as the rest of the Oilers fans.............but there has been too many coaches in the past few years!

You have to gave Eakins the rest of the year and next year to see if there is an improvement in the club.

Right now I don't see much improvements in the Oilers but you have to gave Eakins until next year!

Old
01-22-2014, 10:14 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

I've said this before, but rather than go with a full time coach, given the state of affairs in Edmonton they should go with "guest coaches". Perhaps the Edmonton minor hockey coach of the month, could turn around and guest coach the Oilers the following month. This would be win-win, as we save Master Daryl money on coaches and the organization would have an endless pool of coaches to draw from.

Old
01-22-2014, 11:10 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
I think this is one last gauntlet thrown down for the players. He's testing them to see if they'll actually play for him. He still thinks that he's doing nothing wrong and that this is all the players' fault. That coaching isn't the problem.

Lowe and MacT have too much ego to fire him after one year and Katz won't want to do the big payout for the remainder of the contract.

If things don't turn around I can see Eakins just walking out on the team. Happens all the time in other sports and staying here longer will only reduce his chances of getting another NHL job down the road. People in the East still love him and stick up for him and like him blame the team for being terrible, not the coach. He's already lashed out at fans, he's already lashed out at kids at his daughter's school for telling them that their dad sucks.

I pray that he quits on one hand, but I don't have faith in this management group finding the right coach on the other hand.

A man needs to come in and coach this team. A Quenneville, a Babcock, a Trotz. Maybe Babcock will finally get fired in Detroit and we could hire him. I'd even take Renney back as an assistant. So mad that Hitchcock was floating around forever and we didn't hire him.

But who knows if coaching will change anything, this organization is rotten to the core.
I'd seriously laugh my ass off if Babcock and Eakins switch places; Eakins takes Wings next year to top in their division and Babcock is still bottom of league with the Oilers

Old
01-22-2014, 11:32 PM
redgrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemount289 View Post
I am just as unhappy as the rest of the Oilers fans.............but there has been too many coaches in the past few years!

You have to gave Eakins the rest of the year and next year to see if there is an improvement in the club.

Right now I don't see much improvements in the Oilers but you have to gave Eakins until next year!
This is an unfair viewpoint. Some of the coaches did not deserve to get fired. Eg Kreuger who was unfairly let go and Renney who was making progress.

Eakins has done an awful job...worse than anyone. Hes in way over his head. Just because others were fired before him it now means he cant get fired despite being the worst of all..wow.

Old
01-22-2014, 11:59 PM
oiler4ever

the coach that coached oilers with full passion and run and gun style was Ron Low. I still remember those Avs and Oilers playoff battles. I can also see what sather did to Teddy Green and done both GM and HC job for last 20 games of the season something like that. Maybe MacT will do that after the deadline.

Old
01-23-2014, 12:04 AM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgrant View Post
This is an unfair viewpoint. Some of the coaches did not deserve to get fired. Eg Kreuger who was unfairly let go and Renney who was making progress.

Eakins has done an awful job...worse than anyone. Hes in way over his head. Just because others were fired before him it now means he cant get fired despite being the worst of all..wow.
It's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't things. Whether they deserved to be fired or not, it's been such a revolving door that I feel losing a bad coach still does damage at this point. The team'll look at the new guy NO MATTER WHAT with "oh, you're going to be here for the year and that's it" in the back of their head. For some of the players, it's all they've known in their pro career!

Only way you give him the boot, I think, is if you've got an established, experienced guy coming in that will command respect from the get go. As much as I dislike Eakins' coaching, that hypothetical coach is what we need before we can the guy one season in.

Old
01-23-2014, 12:07 AM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
He sure knows how to talk the talk.

Must be why he was hired.

What exactly is 'going' though? They could win the next game 9-0 and we're still right where we stand if they lose the next four or five.
So, probably good, consistent hockey the rest of the season.

Old
01-23-2014, 12:26 AM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
This guy has the team in 29th and is still waiting for the team to adjust to his systems... no changes right now but after the Olympic break is the newest "revelation" to come from his mouth.

The GM that hired him gave him a 4 year deal... to a rookie HC who has zero HC experience at the NHL level and that same GM thinks all is swell and on pace for glory in the near future (along with the POHO and the Owner).

Way past time to find some realists who can replace the fantasy crew that are in place now.
But guys like Gregor says its not the coaching.....

Signed, the Winnipeg jets

Closed Thread