HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jacob Markstrom

Old
01-22-2014, 08:42 PM
K19*

vCash: 500
Jacob Markstrom

Why has Markstrom been so disappointing this year? Will he see time with the big club down the stretch or stay down with the Rampage? Do you think next season will be his make or break year?

K19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 09:00 PM
Ekblast
See you in October

Send a message via AIM to Ekblast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Panther View Post
I think he's traded this offseason
I am OKAY with this. I really do not favor him. Wouldn't mind getting something out of his trade.

Ekblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 09:01 PM
Effe

vCash: 2300
My guess is that he will get one last chance next season, and if he dont show any signs on development i think he will be traded, and I think thats the best for both parts.

Effe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 09:06 PM
velodim

Simple...he sucked lol.

velodim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 09:16 PM
K19*

Is everyone down on him then? Good chance he doesn't amount to anything?

K19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 09:20 PM
batting1k
HFB Partner

I still feel like he could thrive with another organization and become a late bloomer, not something we really need though.

batting1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 09:23 PM
RampageNate
HFB Partner

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Considering he's just now getting full time goalie instruction for the first time in his Panthers career (which deserves a thread all on its own), I think they give him the rest of this season, the offseason, and camp to win a backup job in Florida. If he doesn't improve, I do think he gets dealt.

For the record, he's been fantastic down here 9 out of every 10 games.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 09:24 PM
StrangeVision

It's still early in his development, but his time is running short with the Panthers. I think they would be content with giving him time to develop, but his contract next year is a one-way. Either he's in the NHL, or the Panthers are paying him NHL money to play in the AHL. On top of that, who knows how Markstrom would respond to a full year in the AHL, it may sour the Panthers relationship with him. I think the best case scenario is that he comes up at the end of the year for another tryout to see where he's at. If he can prove himself fully capable of NHL work, he should be the backup next year. The worst thing that can happen is the Panthers trade him and then he becomes the next Pekka Rinne.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 09:34 PM
EnforceTheLaus
#TeachTheTrospiracy

Remember his development time got stunted with the 2 knee injuries. He had stretches of dominance last season but was inconsistent. He had a few good outings this season but really didn't show an improvement from last season. There is also good reason why his current contract is 2 way this season and I think we saw why.

Personally it would be crazy to trade him this season or even next. His raw skill is too much to give away, for what would be a low price. Let him work his way to starter by being a tandem with a vet goalie.

EnforceTheLaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 10:15 PM
FlaPanthers11
#CatsAreComing

Also with our situation in net unless we get an NHL ready goalie back for him in a deal which wouldn't be entirely likely then there is no way he gets traded before some sort of audition next year. He is our only NHL caliber goalie signed for next season. There is some possibility of Thomas returning and I doubt Clem gets another contract down here. We need him to step it up and I think with the right coaching he can and will.

FlaPanthers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 12:15 AM
coopdaloop123

Some goalies mature fast, some don't ... Bishop/Thomas/Lundqvist all late bloomers .... will he figure it out? I don't know, but goalies can surprise you later on in their careers ... doesn't mean it'll be w/ the Panthers.

coopdaloop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 01:54 AM
jrockett1096

Markstrom has bad technique, suffers through confidence bouts and he hasn't shown any remarkable skill in the NHL other than being tall. No improvement to his game in 3 years. The same people who are waiting for him to develop are the same who waited for Rusty "Baby Jagr" Olecz to do the same. I personally hope to not see him in a NHL jersey again unless its on another team so we can light his arse up.

jrockett1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 04:00 AM
CanadianPantherFan
Cats are Here!

vCash: 50
I can't believe the hate... can't wait to prove doubters wrong. I still believe in him and to compare Olesz-Frolik-others to him is a joke in my books. He'll bounce back.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 04:01 AM
Ekblad

It would be very stupid to give up on him already. He will be the backup next season, and none of us should expect him to just turn into an allstar over night. Let him develop, and keep him within this team

Ekblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 10:22 AM
hockeydude1
#CatsAreComing

I've been disappointed with him this year. Also, look at his stats in the AHL. He is currently 15th in Save % (.918), and 24th in GAA (2.67), with 18 games played. There are only 44 goalies in the stats registered in both (min 780 mins played). If he can't improve those numbers in the AHL, then he will not be an NHLer. Those numbers aren't atrocious, but they aren't exactly NHL ready.

hockeydude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 10:52 AM
PanthersHockey1
South by Southeast

The simple fact is even with spending significantly more money acquiring proven offense this team will still have to fight to the finish line next season in order to make the playoffs.

Every single point matters next season, and I dont believe we have the luxury to let a guy develop while throwing points out the window. We need proven talent from top 6 to bottom 6, every defender, starter and backup.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 11:22 AM
Roger Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopdaloop123 View Post
Some goalies mature fast, some don't ... Bishop/Thomas/Lundqvist all late bloomers .... will he figure it out? I don't know, but goalies can surprise you later on in their careers ... doesn't mean it'll be w/ the Panthers.
Sorry, had to comment on this. Lundqvist - a late bloomer? Really? Won the olympics in Italy when he was 23 years old. Did his debut in the SHL when he was 18. Soon became the starter of his team and in 2003, he won the league as a 21-year old goalie. Didn't play in the NHL 04/05 (obviously) but instead won the league again with Frölunda during a season with very stiff competition. He also managed to put up four very hard-to-beat playoff-records - GA: 1, 05, %: 96,2, longest time without letting in a goal 172 minutes, 29 seconds (was beaten by Jonas Gustafsson in in 08/09 though) and six shutouts. Still a late bloomer? I mean, except for being named backup to Kevin Weekes during a couple of weeks during his rookie-season, he has been the starter for the NYR. Let's not forget that the Rangers wasn't really a contender back then either (and surely isn't today, even if they have been looking a lot sharper recently), so even if his numbers increased after a couple of years, he was still pretty much MVP right from the start.

As for the topic: Markström is one of the more talented goalies I've seen the last four or five years. Hasn't been consistent, but the guy is 23. I am not sure that he will achieve any success in Florida, feels like things are to messed up for him there. Maybe he'll go home for a year or two if things doesn't work out, getting the feeling that he would rather do that instead of playing AHL-hockey. If I were Garth Snow I would not hesitate to try and make a move for him, though. What do the Isles have to lose? Swedes in New York are a good match these days...

Roger Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 11:27 AM
LUUUUUIS
Do the maths!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
The simple fact is even with spending significantly more money acquiring proven offense this team will still have to fight to the finish line next season in order to make the playoffs.

Every single point matters next season, and I dont believe we have the luxury to let a guy develop while throwing points out the window. We need proven talent from top 6 to bottom 6, every defender, starter and backup.
It's likely, but I don't think you can state it as fact.

Also, you're saying spending a significant amount of money won't help us, but that we need proven talent throughout. That's somewhat contrary. Are you wanting mostly trades? It also sounds like you want to replace every player on our team with proven talent. Tallon is building through the draft. You want to get rid of our prospects? I'm not sure if that is what you meant.

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 11:57 AM
RampageNate
HFB Partner

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydude1 View Post
I've been disappointed with him this year. Also, look at his stats in the AHL. He is currently 15th in Save % (.918), and 24th in GAA (2.67), with 18 games played. There are only 44 goalies in the stats registered in both (min 780 mins played). If he can't improve those numbers in the AHL, then he will not be an NHLer. Those numbers aren't atrocious, but they aren't exactly NHL ready.
See, this is where simply looking at stats is a terrible way to judge a goalie. There is no doubt that those numbers are middling. But without seeing the games, you wouldn't know that he's putting those numbers up on a team with a below average D corps. They are a hodge podge of AHL ceiling guys and vets who flat out don't play defense.

I can tell you with certainty that with a few exceptions, Markstrom has been well above average his entire time in a Rampage uniform. He has his bad games and lets in some bad goals from time to time, but he's also been brilliant at others.

Honestly, having watched this team every night during his tenure, it's shocking that his numbers aren't much worse.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 11:58 AM
PanthersHockey1
South by Southeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gudbrunson View Post
It's likely, but I don't think you can state it as fact.

Also, you're saying spending a significant amount of money won't help us, but that we need proven talent throughout. That's somewhat contrary. Are you wanting mostly trades? It also sounds like you want to replace every player on our team with proven talent. Tallon is building through the draft. You want to get rid of our prospects? I'm not sure if that is what you meant.
All im saying we dont have time nore hopefully the space for projects that could or could not pan out. Huberdeau, shore, bjugstad, barkov have all proven they can pan out. But when you lose a game 2-1 on a goal that tim thomas could have saved and markstrom didnt and the 2 points was the difference for a franchise who needs to make the playoffs in order to get fans in the seats, you can do the math.

The reason the red wings have over succeeded the last 20 years is because they over-ripened draft picks in the ahl for a long period of time before allowing them to come up to the nhl. Maybe this is the approach we should use with markstrom, or as others have said trade him for something we really need-offense or defense.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Montsy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrockett1096 View Post
Markstrom has bad technique, suffers through confidence bouts and he hasn't shown any remarkable skill in the NHL other than being tall. No improvement to his game in 3 years. The same people who are waiting for him to develop are the same who waited for Rusty "Baby Jagr" Olecz to do the same. I personally hope to not see him in a NHL jersey again unless its on another team so we can light his arse up.
That was Michael Frolik.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 02:16 PM
ShootIt

IIRC Olesz was compared to him, or another really good Czech player too.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=283931

Swear I remember Joe Niewy saying he reminded him of Jagr on one of those Inside the Panthers ages ago.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Android 16

Markstrom is only 23.

Android 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Gordonx11
#CatsAreComing

I can't believe people use stats to decide if a player is NHL ready. Shore has looked more than okay and he wasn't lighting up the board in the AHL. Goalies and players in general at times step up there game and become good NHL players despite more AHL careers.

Gordonx11 is offline   Reply With Quote