HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Klein to NYR for Michael Del Zotto

Old
01-23-2014, 08:50 AM
PFL615

vCash: 500
Del Zotto has been playing in the NHL since he was 18 for a reason. He is having a bad year under a new coach who just got fired from the Canucks the previous year. He never had any issues when Torts was there. If he can get along and play well with Torts he can with Trotz.

The Pred's offense comes from the defense. See A. (Shea Weber) We now have Jones and Ellis who to be frank jumped Klein in his position.

Why not go out and get another guy who can contribute offensively from the blue line. The guy had more points in the recent lockout year than Klein has ever had in a full season. It now puts everyone on the correct side and it should generate more from Jones and Ellis.

Klein was not going to command the forward or center we need and IMO Poile just fleeced another organization especially if he is resigned and gets back to his potential.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 08:54 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I find this really awkward, because while Klein was a fairly reliable player, MDZ is very boom-or-bust. Either Nashville gets a massive, amazing steal of a return, or he makes us wish we had Blum back. I'm not sure which is going to be more likely, and I'm living in fear of the "disaster" option - particularly because there's already so much variable youth on the blueline as is. This to me says that Poile is thinking "rebuild".

Also, it seems like every single player I like on Nashville is leaving or getting traded. First Suter, then Erat, now Klein, and there's talk of Legwand going...

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 09:09 AM
RaiderDoug

The more I read about this trade, the more I like it:

1. It allows Jones to slot in on his natural side.

2. MDZ is younger, and his salary shouldn't be much higher than Klein's (2.9) if we resign him. He should probably come in at the mid-3's at most.

3. Klein was a fan favorite, but again, 2/3 pairing defensive defenseman can be found all over the place. Would people be freaking out if he wasn't on such a great contract - suppose he was making 4.0 a year?

4. If anyone can get anything out of MDZ, it's going to be Housley and the should be patented Predator Defenseman Development System. The guy was lights out the year before the lockout - so it's not like he hasn't done it before.

5. I think alot of the aggravation is due to the fact that Klein could have been used to acquire a top 3 forward. I don't think he had that much value. Anyhow, that's something we'll never really know. I think it's pretty silly to continue to wail about how all Poile should have done was to offer him to Philly for Giroux and all our problems would have been solved!

Worst case scenario - Klein goes to NYR and keeps being Klein. MDZ comes to Nashville, never learns to play defense the Predator way, and flames out. We sign another 2nd pairing Defensive d-man. We're no worse off than before.

Best case scenario - Klein goes to NYR and keeps being Klein. MDZ comes in, meshes well in a better D system with better coaching - blossoms into a 40-50 pt Dman playing next to Jones for the next 7+ years.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 09:15 AM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Del Zotto has been playing in the NHL since he was 18 for a reason. He is having a bad year under a new coach who just got fired from the Canucks the previous year. He never had any issues when Torts was there. If he can get along and play well with Torts he can with Trotz.

The Pred's offense comes from the defense. See A. (Shea Weber) We now have Jones and Ellis who to be frank jumped Klein in his position.

Why not go out and get another guy who can contribute offensively from the blue line. The guy had more points in the recent lockout year than Klein has ever had in a full season. It now puts everyone on the correct side and it should generate more from Jones and Ellis.

Klein was not going to command the forward or center we need and IMO Poile just fleeced another organization especially if he is resigned and gets back to his potential.
Well actually he had his moments with Torts as well. It wasn't AV who ran him out of town, it was himself with his poor play and lack of effort. As a Ranger fan, never had a problem with DZ, just at times showed lack of hustle and effort. You're getting a 23-year old player who has a high ceiling of potential. He wasn't going to reach it here with us.

I hope playing with guys like Weber, Jones, Ellis and Josi, that he does. You can win this trade in the long-term. Wish DZ and the Preds the best of luck moving forward and i'll be checking on him and the Preds to see how he does in the long run

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 09:30 AM
SteadyEddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
He's not a slow skater at all. I don't know what that guy is talking about. I would say he's slightly above average on the skating front. He does attempt to be physical... stemming from the Tortorella years. It works sometimes, other times it doesn't. Most of the time it seems to me he's going out of his way to look like he's playing "physical" but that's not really his game when it comes down to it. He will push around a player that is crashing the net but that's about it. DZ was a player that was full of confidence with the puck a few years ago but now he is very hesitant. He could have used a few years in the AHL to add some seasoning and was probably brought up too soon. He does not have a very good shot from the point at all. It is pretty weak and inaccurate. His strength is his passing ability which is above par. He has good vision and distributes his passes tape to tape. He is also pretty positionally sound for the most part but will have a brain fart from time to time. He is pretty respondent to coaching though and he's only 23. He has tremendous upside that I would very much like him to meet. I'm not a fan of this trade at all but I'm willing to admit that I don't know much about Klein.
If he's not a slow skater, why did they have him work with Barbara Underhill in the offseason? He was easily the slowest of the seven roster defenseman we had. Even slower than Staal. MDZ is destined for the AHL, and eventually Europe.

SteadyEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 09:32 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
The more I read about this trade, the more I like it:

1. It allows Jones to slot in on his natural side.

2. MDZ is younger, and his salary shouldn't be much higher than Klein's (2.9) if we resign him. He should probably come in at the mid-3's at most.

3. Klein was a fan favorite, but again, 2/3 pairing defensive defenseman can be found all over the place. Would people be freaking out if he wasn't on such a great contract - suppose he was making 4.0 a year?

4. If anyone can get anything out of MDZ, it's going to be Housley and the should be patented Predator Defenseman Development System. The guy was lights out the year before the lockout - so it's not like he hasn't done it before.

5. I think alot of the aggravation is due to the fact that Klein could have been used to acquire a top 3 forward. I don't think he had that much value. Anyhow, that's something we'll never really know. I think it's pretty silly to continue to wail about how all Poile should have done was to offer him to Philly for Giroux and all our problems would have been solved!

Worst case scenario - Klein goes to NYR and keeps being Klein. MDZ comes to Nashville, never learns to play defense the Predator way, and flames out. We sign another 2nd pairing Defensive d-man. We're no worse off than before.

Best case scenario - Klein goes to NYR and keeps being Klein. MDZ comes in, meshes well in a better D system with better coaching - blossoms into a 40-50 pt Dman playing next to Jones for the next 7+ years.
Very good points, I agree with everything.

I think what I like most about this trade is the upside. MDZ just has more upside than Klein ever would have. He's 6 years younger and he's got the type of game that could be a real boom for the top 4 with Jones or Weber. It's definitely a risky move, but this is the type of season you take those in. His value was at it's lowest playing on his non-natural side, for a new coach. That's exactly when you strike on those types of players.

I've seen a bunch of comments about "not addressing offense" by trading Klein but if you ask me that's exactly what this did. Offense is achieved through more than just forwards. To me, this signals that Poile is looking to overhaul the team's mentality of defense first and change it to a more offensive system. The forwards will be a necessary need, but you need to build through more than just the forwards.

If (and it really is an if still) MDZ hits his potential, it gives the Preds a very nice top 4 core of Weber, Josi, Jones and MDZ.

theIceWookie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Juneemoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyEddie View Post
If he's not a slow skater, why did they have him work with Barbara Underhill in the offseason? He was easily the slowest of the seven roster defenseman we had. Even slower than Staal. MDZ is destined for the AHL, and eventually Europe.
He worked with Barbara Underhill to alter his skating stride to make him less prone to getting a sports hernia.

Do you remember when the Predators got Sergei Kostitsyn and that guy from the Montreal board rushed over here to talk all that crap about him?

Juneemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 09:38 AM
weeze

I did some stats checking and here is what I found:

Name age Exp Games Goals Assists Points
MDZ 23 5 292 26 95 121
GB 23 3 121 23 28 51
CS 24 3 164 33 44 77
CW 24 5 260 53 73 126
VS 28 5 288 58 61 119
NS 25 5 273 35 35 70
RJ 23 3 141 16 38 54

KK 29 9 403 16 66 82

MDZ, as a 23 yo, has better offensive stats than most of our young offensive players. Not knocking KK because I did like him and his steadyness but this team is in need of some offense! And to me it looks like MDZ will add a little needed offense. Not in a top 6 but KK was never, ever gonna bring a top 6 forward by himself. We get a LHD that was needed and someone who can add some scoring as well. If, and I know an if, he can get back to his 30-40 point form then we will have a top 4 pairing like no other team in the NHL!

weeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 10:43 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Maybe we'll get a peek at him tonight.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 10:51 AM
stevio51

Good trade to get a lefty. I'm gonna miss Klein's stability, but getting a young guy with a high ceiling is worth it.

D-Pairings
Josi-Weber
MDZ-Jones
Bartley-Ellis
Ekholm at 7

stevio51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I find this really awkward, because while Klein was a fairly reliable player, MDZ is very boom-or-bust. Either Nashville gets a massive, amazing steal of a return, or he makes us wish we had Blum back. I'm not sure which is going to be more likely, and I'm living in fear of the "disaster" option - particularly because there's already so much variable youth on the blueline as is. This to me says that Poile is thinking "rebuild".
I think the boom-bust aspect of Del Zotto is overstated. Most likely, what you're going to end up with is a 2nd pair defenseman who is decent defensively and puts up 35-45 points per season. In other words, not a steal, but not a bust. You traded a 2nd pair D for a 2nd pair D of a different aspect.

I think this is a good deal for both teams. I'm a Rangers fan first, but my second team is the Predators from when I lived in Nashville. I always liked Klein and am happy he's a Ranger. You guys are going to be pleasantly surprised by Del Zotto. Circumstances ended up pushing him out in NY, but he's a good player.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 11:07 AM
Smilodon

I feel like some people so obsessed with wanting everyone to think they "won" the trade that they'll come into our thread and won't rest until we're all miserable and feel bad about ourselves for acquiring said player.

That being said I hope Klein has a great career in New York.

Smilodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 11:12 AM
predfan98

I don't care who wins. I find a couple of sentences in this article interesting. I guess I'm tired of DP. (and have always before this year given him the benefit of the doubt).

http://talkingpuck.wordpress.com/201...ael-del-zotto/

"And that’s my rub with this deal. The Preds said this summer they wanted to be tougher to play against, wanted to be able to grind out wins in the tough Western Conference schedule. Klein gave them those elements. Klein embodied “the Predators way” … and now he’s moved without anyone ready to fill that role.

This deal, along with the addition and subtraction of Hendricks, the addition of Nystrom, the addition of Viktor Stalberg, and others … well … it’s like the Preds don’t know if they want to be a speed team or a physical team and as a result they have a roster that isn’t really maximized for either style."

tom callahan's thoughts ^^^^^

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 11:17 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post

he and torts were far from "close". he had semi regular reservation in the torts chateau bow wow.

his nick name wasnt del zaster for nuthin. and hes been riding that "potential" pony for a few years now. hes a 5 yr vet.

hes got skills and im not gonna rehash stuff but he isnt um... fast. hes a plodding skater and has little quickness in his stride but he is a deft passer and a smart player with the puck rushing up ice. but his defensive decisions and slap-ishshot will leave you shaking your head like this

before any fleecing occurs, hes going to have to put up points and play like the offensive dman his label says he is.

but for his rookie year, he hasnt really done that yet.

im wishing him well. hes a good dude and a hard worker. cant wait for our first game.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 11:24 AM
SteadyEddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
he and torts were far from "close". he had semi regular reservation in the torts chateau bow wow.

his nick name wasnt del zaster for nuthin. and hes been riding that "potential" pony for a few years now. hes a 5 yr vet.

hes got skills and im not gonna rehash stuff but he isnt um... fast. hes a plodding skater and has little quickness in his stride but he is a deft passer and a smart player with the puck rushing up ice. but his defensive decisions and slap-ishshot will leave you shaking your head like this

before any fleecing occurs, hes going to have to put up points and play like the offensive dman his label says he is.

but for his rookie year, he hasnt really done that yet.

im wishing him well. hes a good dude and a hard worker. cant wait for our first game.
It looks like someone "gets it." And the homerun pass that only connects 1 out of 10 times will leave you shaking your heads. When it misses, it's either an icing or a turnover.

SteadyEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 11:24 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I think the boom-bust aspect of Del Zotto is overstated. Most likely, what you're going to end up with is a 2nd pair defenseman who is decent defensively and puts up 35-45 points per season. In other words, not a steal, but not a bust. You traded a 2nd pair D for a 2nd pair D of a different aspect.
Could be. I watched as much of him as I could in the days leading up to the Nash trade, saw that sort of pattern, and decided I wanted no part of him because we'd had enough similar blueliners here in Columbus. That's even more true in Nashville, so I'm kind of worrying. If he finds chemistry with Jones, then, yeah, the worst-case scenario becomes much less likely and there's room for a moderate position. I'm just cynical.

Maybe I'm just thinking too much along the lines of "take Cody Franson, make him more prone to hitting people, and take away the accurate shot". Which is probably unfair.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 11:40 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop12 View Post
I don't like this trade for the Preds. MDZ is a soft under achiever.
Every time someone labels MDZ as soft, it's safe to say they actually have no idea what kind of player MDZ is.

It's like saying Weber doesn't have a good shot.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 11:42 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyEddie View Post
It looks like someone "gets it." And the homerun pass that only connects 1 out of 10 times will leave you shaking your heads. When it misses, it's either an icing or a turnover.
That's the thing with MDZ though. His cross-ice passes are usually tape-to-tape. He's not a 1 trick pony that just focused on that long outlet pass and nothing else. It's just something he did often and it was a real threat.

A forward like Gaborik had a field day with MDZ's ability to thread the needle.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
That's the thing with MDZ though. His cross-ice passes are usually tape-to-tape. He's not a 1 trick pony that just focused on that long outlet pass and nothing else. It's just something he did often and it was a real threat.

A forward like Gaborik had a field day with MDZ's ability to thread the needle.
If he can make a tape to tape pass that's a plus. Theres little ability on our team to do this, and truthfully it has been a problem here since day one. The coaching staff either does not address passing ability or plain just ignores it.

The burning question can he wrap the puck around the boards on the dump and chase????(That's the Preds first option there second option and there last option to enter the zone)

Byrddog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 01:32 PM
bdub24

When I first heard the trade - I hated it! Thought Klein was really the solid, steady vet we needed on the D 2nd line.

After a bit more thought - I think this was a Housley play all the way because he knows MDZs offensive potential.

Getting Jones back to his natural orientation will help him focus on true pro growth - he has had some weak showings in the last couple of home games - the Stars game was definitely an improvement for him.

On balance - I think this was a good move. Not an Erat-for-Forsberg steal, but a solid move with real upside.

bdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 01:36 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Welcome to the boards!

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 01:37 PM
bdub24

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantawhaler View Post
welcome to the boards!
thanks very much!!

bdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 02:25 PM
deanwormer

It's a good "hockey" trade - both teams get to reduce a redundancy (us RHD, them LHD) and they kinda' swap as far as plugging into the 2nd pairs go. Meet each teams needs.

MDZ is a plus for us in that if we decide we don't like him we can let him go and if we do he shouldn't cost any more that KK did. KK, while on that nice contract, was doomed to be passed on 2nd pair because of that unexpected draft and too expensive to pay as a 3rd pair guy.

From the franchise perspective, however, I still would rather have seen us package him (or Ellis) along with any of several forwards and obtained a talented scorer. If there's a negative to the trade, I think this is it - that GMDP simply doesn't have the trading chips to go get an F this year and I'm not sure that the FA session is going to be kinder to us this year than it was last.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 03:30 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneemoon View Post
He worked with Barbara Underhill to alter his skating stride to make him less prone to getting a sports hernia.

Do you remember when the Predators got Sergei Kostitsyn and that guy from the Montreal board rushed over here to talk all that crap about him?

I DO! Lead to a Montreal fan in my clown makeup sand paying for wings at Duff's. But it was a cool time

Back to the topic, Poile has a legacy of buying low and Trotz teaching them up

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 05:03 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneemoon View Post

On here or on the official boards? The one on the official boards ended up in clownface afterwards.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the one doing the clownfacing.

jwhouk is online now   Reply With Quote