HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Larry Brooks Rangers rumors

Old
01-31-2007, 10:22 AM
Larry Melnyk

vCash: 500
Vacisek makes no sense what soever..A 3r/4th line C who doesn't come to play evey night..A big body with little offensive skills..At best, a BOSSA, a combo of Betts and Hossa...And we don't need that..We need a 2nd C...

Now, the part about dealing Ward (who I never wanted), I don't mind, but not for Vacisek..Even if it means more time for the likes of Girardi and Pock..

Been saying Smoliskin for awhile so, of course, that makes sense! ..But seriosuly, a decent all arounbd player and the price might be low..

Tkachuck- I mentioned him last night and, infact, I think he could help out SHanny, the 2nd line, the entire rotation and also make us a much tougher team...He's been playing some C and takes alot of FOs...The problem with Tkachuck, to me, is the potential cost..No problem with guys like Immo, Liffiton and their ilk going the other way, bit no way to the likes of Dubinsky, Staal, etc...

Last edited by Larry Melnyk: 01-31-2007 at 10:33 AM.
Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:24 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Tkachuk isn't a play making center either.He isn't a natural center.He occassionly takes face offs but that is where his prowess up the middle ends.Tkachuk is not going to feed the puck to Shanahan who has had about 30 excellent scoring chances in the last six weeks.Shanahan is getting his chances but he either hits the post,the crossbar or misses a wide open net.Matt Cullen and Petr Prucha are playing well together(I know it's only one game).They never gelled together when they played with Shanahan.Maybe Brendan is the problem and it's the not guy who isn't giving him the puck

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:31 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Tkachuk isn't a play making center either.He isn't a natural center.He occassionly takes face offs but that is where his prowess up the middle ends.Tkachuk is not going to feed the puck to Shanahan who has had about 30 excellent scoring chances in the last six weeks.Shanahan is getting his chances but he either hits the post,the crossbar or misses a wide open net.Matt Cullen and Petr Prucha are playing well together(I know it's only one game).They never gelled together when they played with Shanahan.Maybe Brendan is the problem and it's the not guy who isn't giving him the puck
Actually, I watched him earlier in the year thought he was indeed playing C..He can do it offensively, defensively is another matter.But I agree, his best position is LW and is more of a banger/physical player then a feeder, although I think his passsing is under-rated here...That and the potential cost is why I think we go in another direction, but it's one to keep an eye on...

Good point about Shanny, although I do think Cullen's incompetnece as a 2nd C was a hinderence..He jsut could get anything done...No matter the reason, they shouldn't be playing with each other and we need to find a "2nd" C somehow to give us 4 good lines..

Old
01-31-2007, 10:34 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Tkachuk is not going to feed the puck to Shanahan who has had about 30 excellent scoring chances in the last six weeks.Shanahan is getting his chances but he either hits the post,the crossbar or misses a wide open net. Matt Cullen and Petr Prucha are playing well together(I know it's only one game).They never gelled together when they played with Shanahan.Maybe Brendan is the problem and it's the not guy who isn't giving him the puck
Thank you very much. It's about time to mention that Shanahan may not be able to make the players around him look better. Plus, his scoring is sorta gone...

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:37 AM
In The Flesh

Please stick to the plan. No trading young assests for rental, no way.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:46 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Please stick to the plan. No trading young assests for rental, no way.
What plan? Who's plan is that? If you think the Rangers won't try and bolster their PO chances, you will be disappointed.

Now, I agree with you that the better assets shouldn't be touched but I have no problem in dealing others becase this Cup run is giingto wide open just like last year and all we need up front is a 2nd C..Then we can worry about the physical D-man..

Old
01-31-2007, 10:57 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
What plan? Who's plan is that? If you think the Rangers won't try and bolster their PO chances, you will be disappointed.

Now, I agree with you that the better assets shouldn't be touched but I have no problem in dealing others becase this Cup run is giingto wide open just like last year and all we need up front is a 2nd C..Then we can worry about the physical D-man..
All we need up front is a 2nd C? We also need Jagr to play like he did last year. And Cullen to have more than one good game. And Prucha to play at last year's level for more than one game. And Shanahan to start scoring again, and stop killing penalties. And Adam Hall to do SOMETHING. And Blair Betts to acquire some skill. And......

Don't get secuded by a victory over a weak Bruin team that didn't put up much of a fight. Win 8 of 9, beat the Devils 6-1, and then you'll have something to build on.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:04 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
All we need up front is a 2nd C? We also need Jagr to play like he did last year. And Cullen to have more than one good game. And Prucha to play at last year's level for more than one game. And Shanahan to start scoring again, and stop killing penalties. And Adam Hall to do SOMETHING. And Blair Betts to acquire some skill. And......

Don't get secuded by a victory over a weak Bruin team that didn't put up much of a fight. Win 8 of 9, beat the Devils 6-1, and then you'll have something to build on.
Don't get cute..I was talking personnel and setting up the lines...Of course, Jagr has to play at his best, as does Shanny, and the COP line has to prove itself consisently (my bet is that it will), and Renney has to get this team to play hard every night..Happy?

My problem all year has been the lines, especaillay the 2nd line,This team has to be set up right before it has a chance to be a consistent winner..Getting a 2nd C accomplishes that because it strengthens the 2nd line AND the 4th line by allowing Betts to slide down..In theory of course, then the players have to prove it.

Old
01-31-2007, 11:10 AM
94now

Quote:

No one can beat Devils 6-1 now when Marten is hot. Agree with the rest. Rangers will push for playoff EVERY YEAR regardless of what they've got. 2004 is not going to re-occur, they not going to trade Shanahan for youth as I suggested, etc., etc. So there is no plan to keep away from late season acquisitions, there is the plan not to go crazy doing it. Now that is the matter of perception, so don't be surprised. The busyness model was not changed.

Old
01-31-2007, 11:11 AM
TheRedressor

Ive heard the talks about KT and Smolinski however I haven't heard about any interest for Rachuneck from Nashville.

As for the Rangers not acquiring Forsberg I couldn't disagree more with Larry's Report. The more sources I encounter, the more and more are 80% sure that the Rangers will acquire him by the deadline. (If Healthy)

Kasper tidbit is BS btw.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:14 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Ive heard the talks about KT and Smolinski however I haven't heard about any interest for Rachuneck from Nashville.

As for the Rangers not acquiring Forsberg I couldn't disagree more with Larry's Report. The more sources I encounter, the more and more are 80% sure that the Rangers will acquire him by the deadline. (If Healthy)

Kasper tidbit is BS btw.
i thought so too on the kaspar part..

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:18 AM
dave4

Quote:
Don't get cute..I was talking personnel and setting up the lines...Of course, Jagr has to play at his best, as does Shanny, and the COP line has to prove itself consisently (my bet is that it will), and Renney has to get this team to play hard every night..Happy?

My problem all year has been the lines, especaillay the 2nd line,This team has to be set up right before it has a chance to be a consistent winner..Getting a 2nd C accomplishes that because it strengthens the 2nd line AND the 4th line by allowing Betts to slide down..In theory of course, then the players have to prove it.
Call it what you want, we're a LONG way from contending even with a strong second line C. That was my point.

Old
01-31-2007, 11:21 AM
In The Flesh

If Forsberg or TK are brought in, thats it. I'm tired of actually having hope with this team and then it all dies, because they're trying to make a deep playoff run when its not there. Giving up youth is not the awswer.

Of course I would take these players, but not for the their cost.

Philly and JD, are going to screw us, I know it.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:39 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
If Forsberg or TK are brought in, thats it. I'm tired of actually having hope with this team and then it all dies, because they're trying to make a deep playoff run when its not there. Giving up youth is not the awswer.
Rookie.

Old
01-31-2007, 11:41 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Call it what you want, we're a LONG way from contending even with a strong second line C. That was my point.
And I disagree with that. ANd that's one of my points.

Old
01-31-2007, 11:50 AM
Fletch

And I agree with you, Larry...

you'd be surprised how far a second line center could take this team. We all agree they need about one more defenseman to really be considered a contender, but at the same time, Carolina rode a rookie goalie, lost a top scorer, got some hired guns, and won the Cup. IF, the Rangers had a quality second line centerman, and Jagr was healthy, and Lundqvist looks like he did last season...then the defense woes become less apparent.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:51 AM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
you'd be surprised how far a second line center could take this team. We all agree they need about one more defenseman to really be considered a contender, but at the same time, Carolina rode a rookie goalie, lost a top scorer, got some hired guns, and won the Cup. IF, the Rangers had a quality second line centerman, and Jagr was healthy, and Lundqvist looks like he did last season...then the defense woes become less apparent.
You don't believe that he has regained his form?

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:54 AM
Its a PP Goal

I'd listen to any offers but Forsberg and Tkachuk won't come cheap. Not only are they talented players they also have expiring contracts which are valuable in a salary cap world. In the NBA, expiring contracts are desirable even if the player himself sucks ass. Forsberg and Tkachuk will get good return for their respective teams and no one is going to do us a favor and hand them over for a discount.

I'm still willing to listen though.

Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:55 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Exactly Fletch..Without a 2nd C, we go nowhere. With one, and the team structured correctly, there are possibilities just like Edmonton, Carolina, Buffalo and Anaheim last year (none of which had outstanding D on paper)...

I think too many people want the Rangers to just give up, forget about this year and just play the kids, play the kids, play the kids, no matter how ready..Isee now way that the Rangers do that, and I agree, because there are no dominat teams and the ranges have some good things going for them if coached correctly...

Old
01-31-2007, 11:56 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Some insight on Vasicek...

To be honest, I think he's capable of more than he's producing, but due to some early injuries, he's never really clicked, and there's no way he was going to supplant Legwand or Arnott from the top two lines...so he's floated around the makeshift third and fourth lines, and it's not helping him. He's big, he's good around the boards and he's a decent PK guy...but i think he could be doing more somewhere else.

Ward is the guy that interests me, as a Preds fan.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:58 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Some insight on Vasicek...

To be honest, I think he's capable of more than he's producing, but due to some early injuries, he's never really clicked, and there's no way he was going to supplant Legwand or Arnott from the top two lines...so he's floated around the makeshift third and fourth lines, and it's not helping him. He's big, he's good around the boards and he's a decent PK guy...but i think he could be doing more somewhere else.

Ward is the guy that interests me, as a Preds fan.
Thanks..But that's pretty much how he was lst year for Carolina, also, right?...Myabe not fast and intense enough now.?.Just think he's far from the 2nd C we need, and the other C spots are covered well enough..

Old
01-31-2007, 12:01 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Thanks..But that's pretty much how he was lst year for Carolina, also, right?...Myabe not fast and intense enough now.?.Just think he's far from the 2nd C we need, and the other C spots are covered well enough..
He was injured all of last year,came back and had a nice playoff.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 12:13 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
He was injured all of last year,came back and had a nice playoff.
Ah, That's here we disagree. Which is cool. .He was one of the few Canes I was unimpressed with in the POs. ANd he's never really been a score or assist man anywhere, in Juniors or Carolina. I'm not saying he couldn make a decent 3rd line/4th line C, just that we don't need what he brings..IMO, of course..

Old
01-31-2007, 12:16 PM
dave4

Quote:
And that, my friends, sums up everything you need to know about Rangers hockey.

Forget the future, trade the kids for veterans, try to be one of the top 16 THIS YEAR, don't worry about this year's trades affect the future.

A team like the Devils is one player away from contending for the Cup. We're not.

Old
01-31-2007, 12:24 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post

Kasper tidbit is BS btw.
Who are your sources?Professional hockey scouts?They are worse than gossip queens.I remember talking a pro scout during the 1993-94 season.My seats were located near the area where the scouts sit at the Garden.This guy kept telling me the Rangers were talking to Chicago about trading Brian Leetch to Chicago for Chris Chelios and was then shocked when it didn't happen on the day the Rangers made 6 trades on that deadline day

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote