HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Briere = Useless

Old
12-20-2013, 07:31 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
There were better options out there, made no sense to sign him, and even less to do it before the free agency market opened.
I agree there were better options, but the best ones all got ridiculous contracts except Horton who was going in for major shoulder surgery and missing half the season, making it a big risk. Would you rather have Clarkson or Clowe's contract?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I just don't know how you go into the draft, select guys like McCarron, Crisp and De La Rose.. specifically address the need to get bigger and then go out and sign Briere.

We all knew the Briere signing was redundant for this team and it only made sense as an upgrade on DD. It didn't happen. So Briere sits, while arguably being the better center than DD, while DD continues to get preferential treatment over every other player in the organization.
What has Briere shown the last 2 years(11-12 and 12-13) to suggest he would be a better option than Desharnais?

Again, as far as DD getting preferential treatment, that's been proven wrong many times, not sure where you get that.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 08:32 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I agree there were better options, but the best ones all got ridiculous contracts except Horton who was going in for major shoulder surgery and missing half the season, making it a big risk. Would you rather have Clarkson or Clowe's contract?

What has Briere shown the last 2 years(11-12 and 12-13) to suggest he would be a better option than Desharnais?

Again, as far as DD getting preferential treatment, that's been proven wrong many times, not sure where you get that.
I'm not arguing with you anymore about Desharnais. You for some reason think he's an asset to this team. I think he is one of the worst players on the team and that he unjustly gets preferential treatment. We will leave it at that.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 08:53 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:

Can you explain how you "prove" something like that?

Pretty sure a lot of Habs watchers see what I see: MT basically building his lines around DD, and not giving a flying **** about DB.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 08:55 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Back-to-back losses to the Leafs and Pens...

Just throwing this old thread back in management's faces.

Torch guy seems pretty done.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 10:59 PM
Habs

I hope Molson is bound up in the fetal position, crying, every bad game his little golden boy stinks it up. Poor Geoff, opens up the wallet for his favourite little Hobbit and it backfired... just like most of the fans knew it would.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 02:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Can you explain how you "prove" something like that?

Pretty sure a lot of Habs watchers see what I see: MT basically building his lines around DD, and not giving a flying **** about DB.
A lot of Habs watchers believe what their bias wants them to believe.

Eller didn't jmagically light it up with Plekanec despiste claims that his struggles are due to linemates.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 02:27 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
Quote:

Eller didn't jmagically light it up with Plekanec despiste claims that his struggles are due to linemates.
Eller is not a winger. Eller on wing has never worked at any point in his career.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 08:36 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:

Okay that's what I thought. The "DD getting preferential treatment, that's been proven wrong many times" can't in fact be proven right or wrong, and is your subjective opinion, or what your bias wants you to believe.

Briere had some good stuff vs the Pens. Not that I can prove it but he outplayed DD IMHO.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 10:01 AM
goman

Briere looked better last night and has in general been picking it up as of late.

I'm in the camp that didn't understand this signing but hoped to be proven wrong. I've seen flashes but the real test will be this year's playoffs, if he makes it that far.

goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
Briere looked better last night and has in general been picking it up as of late.

I'm in the camp that didn't understand this signing but hoped to be proven wrong. I've seen flashes but the real test will be this year's playoffs, if he makes it that far.
That's a big paycheck for a team 'hoping' to make the playoffs.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Beendair Donedat

Molson might as well have piled 8 million bucks into 52 piles and burned it every couple of weeks. Briere is useless....

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 11:35 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:

Do people really think he just hits a button when he reaches the playoffs?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 11:37 AM
habitue*

Quote:

On a team like the Habs, they have to keep playing him at center. It means Eller has to play on a wing where he is less effective.

Bad signing overall. This team needed a big top-two line winger, not Briere.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 12:01 PM
LaFloater

Why on earth did they sign Briere in the first place? Past his prime, slower and .....SMALL. This has been such an issue in the last few years with all the hobbits on the team. Did Bergevin forget how old Briere was? Did he somehow think the NHL was switching to Olympic sized ice surface this year? Seriously what the hell? No matter what you think of LeCavilier and his future prospects, at least if we had signed him he wouldnt get pushed around like Briere has this season. Really dumb decision by Bergevin!

LaFloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 12:04 PM
Beendair Donedat

He was the next best French guy available, and that's all Bergevin wanted.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 12:54 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Do people really think he just hits a button when he reaches the playoffs?
Some players simply do have a knack for flicking the metaphorical switch. Briere is definitely one of them. He is very elusive and intelligent with the puck and once the games start being tighter checked and more intense, those traits seem to separate him from most. IMO.

HankyZetts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 02:11 PM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
Some players simply do have a knack for flicking the metaphorical switch. Briere is definitely one of them. He is very elusive and intelligent with the puck and once the games start being tighter checked and more intense, those traits seem to separate him from most. IMO.
Playoff performance and especially "different" production is a statistical anomaly not a real thing.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 02:59 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Playoff performance and especially "different" production is a statistical anomaly not a real thing.
Good post.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 03:03 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Especially in Briere's case, who happened to make the playoffs in his best years and miss them in his worst, which is why his playoff PPG is better than his regular season PPGs.

Understand, Briere was a really good scorer in the playoffs. He's got a lot of career playoff games and is at over a PPG pace. But there's no reason to believe he actually gets better in the playoffs, so the Briere we see now is very likely to be the same guy in the postseason.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 03:04 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Good post.
that's not true, have you checked bryan Bickell's numbers? LOL

DJ Breadman is online now   Reply With Quote