HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wed., Jan. 22, 2014| Hurricanes 3 at Flyers 2

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2014, 11:08 AM
  #151
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,976
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
do not like Mason's rebound control. too many rebounds left in scoring areas.
I do agree the defense has been terrible in their own zone of late.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
His rebound control has been iffy for a while now
While I agree with both of you that the rebound control ain't pretty, as of late, the goals that are being scored (aside from the 3rd one last night) don't seem to be coming on big rebounds. Lots of screens, deflections, poor positioning, or just good goals. I mean, I'm sure it doesn't help, but I'm trying to think back during this last little rough patch here and I'm not recalling too many goals that came off of huge rebounds. No more than any other goalie, anyway.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 11:13 AM
  #152
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I agree there are other reasons that this is very mediocre team but effort can be a reason for losing if it is a reference to not moving your feet, which there are a few members of the team that gets into that habit. If your aren't moving you feet, you are reaching for pucks, taking penalties, getting pucks stripped and shots blocked, and losing races to loose pucks. Having a crappy blueline is the main culprit, no debate but not moving your feet is a thing that can get you beat against harder working teams, like Columbus.
I get that, but saying there's a team-wide "lack of effort" or even an individual one implies that they're not trying and don't care at all. Not moving their feet is just more playing absent-minded and coaching. Has nothing to do with conscious effort really. A team-wide lack of foot speed is a GM problem since he put the team together.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 11:19 AM
  #153
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,388
vCash: 500
Lots of people blaming forwards again, getting lazy in their help of back checking.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 11:21 AM
  #154
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
What could Mason have done different on that third goal? Really asking, because I don't know. To me it was all on the defense. I think Coburn broke his stick and Voracek gave Coburn his. And then there were two Flyers down low (Coburn and Timonen) and three Canes down low. Mason makes the save and the rebound went right to an unchecked Tlusty who made a nice, quick move.
I couldn't find any of them to blame on him but the third goal & I wouldn't fully put it on him but he has to control his rebounds better.

Semin's goal was just a beauty of shot he picked the top corner on the far side. Gerbe made a nice move on the second one because he had all the time in the world to do so. Mason actually got a piece of it but it rolled up his shoulder.

He's been pretty average of late but I can't single him out for a reason as to why we lost that game last night. We just got outplayed for the most part & made stupid mistakes.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 11:24 AM
  #155
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,410
vCash: 500
On Semins goal Mez could be blamed as much as Mason. The gap control entering the zone was pathetic. He basically allowed Semin to get into prime scoring range(top of the circle) and use him as a screen. At least try and poke the puck away or even put your body out there on him. All he did was protect himself for a blocked shot, which hurt his goalies chance of seeing the puck. He has to force him to the outside or inside so his other defender can converge on him together.

This defense really needs a retooling. We have players who just flat out don't do what they are supposed to. Only defender who I know makes the right play more than 75% of the time is Kimmo, and he looks like he will be retiring at the end of the year.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 11:32 AM
  #156
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
On Semins goal Mez could be blamed as much as Mason. The gap control entering the zone was pathetic. He basically allowed Semin to get into prime scoring range(top of the circle) and use him as a screen. At least try and poke the puck away or even put your body out there on him. All he did was protect himself for a blocked shot, which hurt his goalies chance of seeing the puck. He has to force him to the outside or inside so his other defender can converge on him together.
If it was a Flyer taking that shot everybody would have been giving credit to the shooter. People were saying how good of a shot Read's goal the other day was but two things it didn't nearly have the zip on it as Semin's & Nilsson had Read in his sight line.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 12:06 PM
  #157
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,551
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Lots of people blaming forwards again, getting lazy in their help of back checking.
Berube cant be happy with his team in their own zone.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 12:17 PM
  #158
OgbertTheNerd
what
 
OgbertTheNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Berube cant be happy with his team in their own zone.
The amount of failed clears is simply astonishing. It's like they're intentionally trying to get pinned in their own zone.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 12:19 PM
  #159
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
It's also not a very good argument to blame Giroux when he provided all of the team's offense last night. You can't really expect much more out him than what you got last night. (Goal, nice assist, good on faceoffs, played with a nice physical edge) There's not a single player in the world that you'll approve of with your impossible standards.

This team is struggling because the defense in atrocious, and Mason isn't playing at a level to constantly bail them out anymore. Actually, the defense is playing even worse than it was last year around this time. All three goals against could have been much easier plays on Mason if the defense had done their jobs.
Mason made some great stops last night too. It's a unsustainable strategy to depend on a goalie to make all the tough stops. When he doesnt, he gets blamed around here for being bad. none of the goals were on him. goalies shouldn't give up softies, anything else is a bonus. The 5 guys in front of him get paid to do a job too.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 12:28 PM
  #160
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
If Holmgren is back after this year or if Hextall is named GM, the priority this off season has to be fixing the defense. If it means parting with some of the offensive talent on the club, then so be it. Timonen practically has one foot out the door and the other on the threshold, Coburn is too stupid to be counted on to provide consistent play game in and game out, Grossmann is perhaps the best defender on the defensive side but his offensive game is non-existent, and Schenn and Gustafsson will never get a break under Berube. Might as well gut and cut and start from fresh with regards to the D.
there is no real fixing that can be done. The truth is, we will probably be in a working rebuild for 3 more years at least. we don't have the assets to "fix" anything without creating other serious holes.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 12:44 PM
  #161
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
If it was a Flyer taking that shot everybody would have been giving credit to the shooter. People were saying how good of a shot Read's goal the other day was but two things it didn't nearly have the zip on it as Semin's & Nilsson had Read in his sight line.
I would have been laughing at the defender for allowing a goal straight out of NHL 14.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 01:00 PM
  #162
Stizzle
Registered User
 
Stizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I can't really even blame Berube. On D, what is he going to do? put in Gill & Gus? He has 0 options.
Gus is underrated by the Flyers organization imo. He should be on the ice.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 01:37 PM
  #163
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa
 
Sniped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 2,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
Gus is underrated by the Flyers organization imo. He should be on the ice.
While I agree he should be playing. People are so fathomed with Gus, he's not gonna immediately fix this defense.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 01:44 PM
  #164
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
While I agree he should be playing. People are so fathomed with Gus, he's not gonna immediately fix this defense.
He's not, but he's a defensive improvement over Mez. An instant fix would be nice, but barring that I'll take an improvement too.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 01:45 PM
  #165
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,120
vCash: 500
Obviously it's not going to fix the entire defense but obviously if you can improve it, even a little, you ****ing do it. Gus is absolutely an upgrade over Mez. On top of that, Schenn has clearly played better when paired with Gus. Mez having a tiny offensive spurt is not enough to justify keeping him in the lineup, and if you think that its even semi sustainable then you need to get your head checked.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 01:57 PM
  #166
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa
 
Sniped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 2,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Obviously it's not going to fix the entire defense but obviously if you can improve it, even a little, you ****ing do it. Gus is absolutely an upgrade over Mez. On top of that, Schenn has clearly played better when paired with Gus. Mez having a tiny offensive spurt is not enough to justify keeping him in the lineup, and if you think that its even semi sustainable then you need to get your head checked.
I'm not a Mez fan at all... i'm not a fan of anyone on this D. I'm just not saying were all of a sudden going to win games with Gus in the lineup. Our collective defense is terrible, our forwards aren't all committed to a two-way game, and our goaltending has been playing below average.

Seems like a recipe for mediocre team.

Does Gus deserve to play? Absolutely.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 02:03 PM
  #167
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,551
vCash: 50
no one is going to suggest that Gus is a game changer. But given how bad this team has looked defensively would it hurt to stick him in there?
At the very least you know hes going to be able to skate. Cant say the same thing about some of the other defenseman.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 02:08 PM
  #168
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
no one is going to suggest that Gus is a game changer. But given how bad this team has looked defensively would it hurt to stick him in there?
At the very least you know hes going to be able to skate. Cant say the same thing about some of the other defenseman.
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
I'm not a Mez fan at all... i'm not a fan of anyone on this D. I'm just not saying were all of a sudden going to win games with Gus in the lineup. Our collective defense is terrible, our forwards aren't all committed to a two-way game, and our goaltending has been playing below average.

Seems like a recipe for mediocre team.

Does Gus deserve to play? Absolutely.
and yup.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 03:08 PM
  #169
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
While I agree he should be playing. People are so fathomed with Gus, he's not gonna immediately fix this defense.
Yeah I don't get the Gus crush.....

It's kind of sad he is our only NHL fringe D prospect.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 03:11 PM
  #170
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Yeah I don't get the Gus crush.....

It's kind of sad he is our only NHL fringe D prospect.....
Well that's just not true, even if you leave out the recently drafted guys (Morin, Ghost, Hagg, etc.)

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 04:16 PM
  #171
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Yeah I don't get the Gus crush.....

It's kind of sad he is our only NHL fringe D prospect.....
Again and again and again and again, it's not that people think Gus is amazing or that he's the answer to our prayers. It's that we believe he's a better option than one or two of our current defensemen and if it's possible to make an improvement, no matter how small, there's no reason not to do it.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 04:17 PM
  #172
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Again and again and again and again, it's not that people think Gus is amazing or that he's the answer to our prayers. It's that we believe he's a better option than one or two of our current defensemen and if it's possible to make an improvement, no matter how small, there's no reason not to do it.
Hell, I can bet that later in the season that MAB would be a better solution than Mez as well.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 05:46 PM
  #173
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Hell, I can bet that later in the season that MAB would be a better solution than Mez as well.
Maybe, but I seriously doubt he'll be given a chance to find out. Berube is too stubborn.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 07:04 PM
  #174
gto64dr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 322
vCash: 500
On this post I have heard about every player trashed. Are you guys forgetting the 6 game road trip that gave us all fantasies of a deep playoff run? The guys played great, passing was crisp, goaltending was great. What happened? Theories abound. here's mine. Berube is a rookie coach and not a very good one. This team has slipped into the same old pattern as last year. Why, because he was part of the problem last year and still is this year. Simple, we keep trying to polish a raw coach. We promote Stevens when he wasn't groomed and we did the same with Berube. The Flyers need an experienced coach that is already groomed for the NHL. We should have gone outside for an experienced coach. Berube just isn't ready.

gto64dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 07:06 PM
  #175
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gto64dr View Post
On this post I have heard about every player trashed. Are you guys forgetting the 6 game road trip that gave us all fantasies of a deep playoff run? The guys played great, passing was crisp, goaltending was great. What happened? Theories abound. here's mine. Berube is a rookie coach and not a very good one. This team has slipped into the same old pattern as last year. Why, because he was part of the problem last year and still is this year. Simple, we keep trying to polish a raw coach. We promote Stevens when he wasn't groomed and we did the same with Berube. The Flyers need an experienced coach that is already groomed for the NHL. We should have gone outside for an experienced coach. Berube just isn't ready.
Mediocre team is mediocre, some times they play above it & some times they play below it.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.