Conroy back to Calgary?

Old
01-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Cactus Jack

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg View Post
good pick up for the flames, i think alittle overpayment based on conroy's performance so far this year, but conroy has proven he can excel with the set up the flames have there.
I cannot comprehend why anyone would think they overpaid! Sutter wouldn't have made the trade if he didn't think he could take the salary. Hockeywise, we dumped an underachieving floater. Sure, we gave up a 2nd round pick in a supposedly good draft, but that doesn't mean Sutter can't stockpile picks elsewhere. And besides, as was said earlier, a flames 2nd round pick is like another team's early 3rd. And even if they don't acquire more picks, who cares? When you want to make a run for it all you have to give up something. We gave up nothing in Lundmark, so l guess we gave up something with the pick. We even shed Lundmark's 800k and took Conroy's 2.4 million cap hit. Who cares? When McCarty and Friesen both go, they make Conroy's salary anyways.

Conroy brings us exactly what we need: defensive play, faceoffs, penalty kill, speed, leadership, he will be what the room needs, and can chip in offensively. Maybe Lundmark will develop (which l doubt),but this trade couldn't have been better for Calgary.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 01:17 PM
chriss_co

he's a thought that came to mind.. friesen and mcammond play similar styles.. both speedy grinding LWers... perhaps a friesen-conroy-iggy line could get friesen going and perhaps give use 3 offensive lines...

tanguay-langkow-huselius would stay #1..
amonte-lombardi-kobasew (when healthy) could be #2
moss-yelle-ritchie/godard as the 4th line

the only thing i think the flames might consider adding at the deadline is some defensive depth.. giordano has not played well recently...

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 01:20 PM
puck_08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Durst View Post
The picks given up are what's key, not Lundmark. Picks in these types of deals tend to end up being important, key players. Murphy's Law.
And who knows who the Flames would even pick in the draft, even if LA picks the next Brad Richards with the 2nd, its not anywhere near a given that the Flames would have done the same with the pick.. you can't really look at that to evaluate a trade, and say well the next Brad Richards is better then Conroy.. It doesn't matter what LA does with the pick, it matters what the Flames would have done with it.. which is maybe draft a player who might not make it to the NHL

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co View Post
the only thing i think the flames might consider adding at the deadline is some defensive depth.. giordano has not played well recently...
I'd be all for moving Zyuzin + mid/late-pick for a decent rental.

Fleury14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 03:03 PM
kruezer

I guess I wouldn't be against a line-up like this with everyone healthy...

Tanguay - Langkow - Iginla
Lombardi - Conroy - Huselius
Moss - Yelle - Kobasew
Nilson - Ritchie - Amonte
PB: Friesen

Though Nilson and Amonte could be moved to Yelle's line to create a solid checking line if necessary.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 03:38 PM
NeonDion

What about this ineup:

Tanguay/Lombardi - Langkow - Huselieus
Tanguay/Lombardi - Conroy - Iginla
Moss - Yelle - Kobasew
Nilson - Ritchie - Amonte
extra: Freisen

This gives us two legitimate scoring lines that are pretty tough to stop and two decent checking units.

Or:

Tanguay- Langkow - Iginla
Huselieus- Lombardi -Kobasew
Amonte - Conroy - Freisen
Moss - Yelle - Ritchie
extra: Nilson, Godard

This gives us two scoring lines, a third line with decent complimentary scoring and a good checking line.

Conroy's addition is an excellent depth move as we're pretty thin down the middle. This gives us an excellent option should Langks or Lombo go down.

Now all we need is a decent RW who can challenge Kobasew for a spot. Can Moss do this?

Now all we need is a good number 4 dman to play with Regher.

NeonDion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Lexicon

Hey guys would you want Tucker?

tucker for kobesew, second

Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 03:52 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsfanforever View Post

No thanks.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Sherman

Why is everyone mentioning Conroy of 4 years ago?

Conroy was even solid last year (when he had decent linemates):
66 pts in 78 games in 05-06 playing with Demitra & Co.

Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Danny__K

Quote:
Pass, this guy gets more gimme goals then cheechoo.

Danny__K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 01:29 AM
nuckfan insk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
i think the 2nd rounders get moved because they carry decent value and they arent a 1st... i'm not sure who we sent our 2005 second rounder to... but all teh other 2nd have been worth moving IMO
2nd in 04 and 05 for kipper
leopold and 2nd in 06 and 07 for tanguay
2nd in 08 for conroy

nuckfan insk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 02:27 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannoabram View Post
2nd in 04 and 05 for kipper
leopold and 2nd in 06 and 07 for tanguay
2nd in 08 for conroy
04 was for Kiprusoff, however, the 05 second rounder was for Nilson, 06 and 07 both went for Leopold (though it is possible they have conditions to them, I am not sure)and 08 will be gone for Conroy. But all things considered, the Flames last 2nd rounder was Ramholt in 03 and that hasn't exactly been fantastic, I am not against trading seconds personally.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:04 AM
abracanada

I wasn't a big fan of the idea of bringing Conroy back. I stand corrected. He obviously brings more than his ability with him. He lifted the whole team last night. I haven't seen them that happy as a group, in a very long time. Intangibles are even more important than anything in this trade. A solid, shrewd move by Sutter. The Flames appear to be a stronger team today.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:03 AM
natural420*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Durst View Post
Actually that's extremely inaccurate. I made some calls to some connections I have in Calgary, Boston and Toronto that work in the industry and the consensus is that this deal does not make sense for Calgary. Also, there was whispering that this deal is more for revenues at the box rather than improving the lineup.

yea and i made a call to sutter himself, he said your not the sharpest knife in the drawer. made calls, please.

this deal is great for calgary, like i've said in previous threads, calgary needs to make moves to win a cup. draft picks have to be dealt to win. the time is now for calgary. we cant just hoard our draft picks and hope for the best in this years playoffs. conroy adds another peice to an already dynamic offence. we get another d-man and i really like our chances in the playoffs this year. we would have everything we were missing last year, and then some. i'll take a losing season or two 5 years from now if it comes with a cup this year/next year. calgarys doing there best to not be the next vancouver/toronto/ottawa of the last several years and have almost a good enough team, but missing that one peice that we needed to win it all.

i think you need to keep your "connections" use to a minimal. bad deal for calgary?? give me a break

and how could i forget, that statement you made (or your "connections" made) about this just being for the box office. that has gotta be one of the most rediculous things i've ever seen on this board. calgary sells out every game regardless. its almost impossible to get good seats in calgary, let alone seats at all. we dont need box office help and to think we would make a trade to sell tickets instead of improve our team is just plain stupid

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:08 AM
natural420*

Quote:

tucker for kobesew, second
we already ditched off one garbage player somehow. i think thats all thats going anywhere. kobasew is not one of our garbage players.

we've got a potentially solid third line now and kobasew is a big part of keeping that. tucker. meh.

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:15 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural420 View Post
yea and i made a call to sutter himself, he said your not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 12:12 PM
jeffreyaa

Congrats to Connie on his 2-goal debut- I just wish it hadn't come against my Kings!! I'm sure it is the beginning of a resurgence for one of the good guys in sports. Most Kings fans will continue to cheer for Craig Conroy- he'll always be one of my favorites. While I'm sorry to lose him, I'm glad he's going to a contender where he'll have a chance to play a big role and not have to worry about the trade rumors which most of us believe is what has been weighing him down all season.

jeffreyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 12:21 PM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
The future, specifically a 2nd round pick in a deep draft (2008).
well lets assume the Flames are competitive again next year , and their pick is in the range it has been the last couple of years...that 2nd rounder will be the 50th overall pick or so

so I guess we could check how well the last 15 50th overall picks have done, and how long it takes them to make the NHL

this is what contenders try and do at the deadline, make their team better without giving up much to weaken them

yes the 2nd rounder may end up being the next Patrick Elias or Brad Richard or whomever, but odds are...

(edit: obviously that doesn't mean that its a bad deal for LA who clearly benefits more from 2 picks than they do from Conroy)

looooob is offline   Reply With Quote