HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2014 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2014, 10:21 AM
  #951
ohlscouting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyscout42 View Post
What do you think of smaller guys like Maksimovich and Jacome?
I really like Maksimovich's game, and is one of the best forwards in the GTHL, his size will make it tough for him but I would take a chance on him.

ohlscouting is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:29 AM
  #952
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune
 
SeanLafortune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeydad98 View Post
Rumours are rampant that Logan Brown has signed with JRC. As if they needed him. Would have liked to see him on DMF,TT or, NYR to really showcase his talent.
When I made the comment months ago about a top end 98 headed to the GTHL, that was the guy. It's not happening now, due to the fact that the signing deadline was on Jan. 15th, I can say with certainty that the subject was explored. Logan is back playing with Indiana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlscouting View Post
Placing in the OHL priority selection draft depends what a player does at the end of the season when it matters. Paquette did not impress at the Peterborough tournament as compared to his teammate Tonge. It will be a competitive draft this year and IMO I believe teams will pick more goalies than in past years because of the European rule change.

Paquette has the tools to be top 40 but it all depends how he does at the ETA's. Dunn from COW was also a disappointment at the tourney and he will also need to bring his compete level up.
You don't through away 5 months of views based on a bad weekend (weekend wasn't even that bad IMO). You make bad decisions making rash calls on players who have a bad week or so, that's when teams make mistakes (the OHL Cup is filled with it, see Steven Broek). There are 2 teams at the very least that have him in their top 15, and it doesn't sound like they are ready to move him out. He'll be a first round pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Bitten may not be given a chance in the OHL his first year, unless he grows and fills out. Felhaber will play in the OHL next year.
Bitten will be fine. Way to many small players like Jason Akeson, Alex Aleardi and Justin Azevedo have been successful in the league for teams to be worried about it. Its a discussion point, but my feel so far is that not to many teams are going to use that size to tear him down, they like to many aspects of his game (for good reason)

Just a quick ISO Video update...

This week we have our top OHL Draft prospect, Jakob Chychrun. People who have yet to see him play will get a chance to see why he is the slam dunk top choice for this years draft.



Last edited by SeanLafortune: 01-23-2014 at 10:46 AM.
SeanLafortune is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 11:01 AM
  #953
ohlscouting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
When I made the comment months ago about a top end 98 headed to the GTHL, that was the guy. It's not happening now, due to the fact that the signing deadline was on Jan. 15th, I can say with certainty that the subject was explored. Logan is back playing with Indiana.



You don't through away 5 months of views based on a bad weekend (weekend wasn't even that bad IMO). You make bad decisions making rash calls on players who have a bad week or so, that's when teams make mistakes (the OHL Cup is filled with it, see Steven Broek). There are 2 teams at the very least that have him in their top 15, and it doesn't sound like they are ready to move him out. He'll be a first round pick.



Bitten will be fine. Way to many small players like Jason Akeson, Alex Aleardi and Justin Azevedo have been successful in the league for teams to be worried about it. Its a discussion point, but my feel so far is that not to many teams are going to use that size to tear him down, they like to many aspects of his game (for good reason)
The whole season is part of a process to evaluate talent, and of course the first 5 months will help in determining the proper evaluation on a player. Size, speed and Skills will determine the placing of a player in the draft. Each OHL team will highlight players that they are interested in, and will isolate these players while watching their games. From the Marlie tournament on to the OHL cup that's where decisions will be made. Stats can be misleading depending on team philosophy and many different factors. GTHL players will get more attention in the draft, but a true scout will look at all the different factors of a players performance and progress.

Candella or Lafontaine will improve their draft position depending on who wins their playoff series.

Players like Windsors Salintri or Grey Bruce's Caskanette would go higher in the draft if they played on a competitive team.

Goalies like Southern Tier's Moore or JRC's Vella are very talented but play for two of the best defensive teams and might give up 10 low quality shots per game on average. There are some very talented goalies that play for very weak defensive teams, such as Zach Bowman from last years draft.

ohlscouting is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 11:23 AM
  #954
defensehockey19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaHockeyFan View Post
Reynolds definitely has the speed, tools and size to make it to the next level. Will be interesting to see where he goes in the draft.

Bitten has shown well all year. He and Felhaber are the class of the Ottawa group.

Other Ottawa based players that intrigue are Poirier (UCC), Collins (OVT), Mattinen (EOW) and Brown (Ott Jr Sens).

All draftable IMO. All have the ability to play at the next level.

Poirer had a very good showing at the Peterborough tournament.

defensehockey19 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 11:40 AM
  #955
watcherofhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlscouting View Post
Placing in the OHL priority selection draft depends what a player does at the end of the season when it matters. Paquette did not impress at the Peterborough tournament as compared to his teammate Tonge. It will be a competitive draft this year and IMO I believe teams will pick more goalies than in past years because of the European rule change.

Paquette has the tools to be top 40 but it all depends how he does at the ETA's. Dunn from COW was also a disappointment at the tourney and he will also need to bring his compete level up.
As Sean mentioned, I think you're putting a lot of stock into a very small sample size of games.

I'd be shocked if you found one OHL team who had Tonge ahead of Paquette on their draft board.

As for Dunn, he's certainly laboured through the recent weeks but he's probably done enough where he'll still be a first round pick or very early second rounder. He's got the tools so hopefully a good summer of off-ice development will put him in a position to be successful with a clean slate in the OHL next year.

watcherofhockey is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 12:13 PM
  #956
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,557
vCash: 500
Smallish players do play and contribute in the OHL, but usually in their 2nd or 3rd years. Not too many Domis or Fabbris.

Rumblings out there have the 3 US Kids going 1,2, 3- Chychrun (dual), Jones, Brown, and then followed by possibly Mcleod and Mascherin.

chewerjones is online now  
Old
01-23-2014, 12:26 PM
  #957
ImaBullsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Smallish players do play and coxxxntribute in the OHL, but usually in their 2nd or 3rd years. Not too many Domis or Fabbris.

Rumblings out there have the 3 US Kids going 1,2, 3- Chychrun (dual), Jones, Brown, and then followed by possibly Mcleod and Mascherin.
No way Belleville would select an american in the 1st. But taking Chychrun #1 would be a no brainer.

ImaBullsfan is online now  
Old
01-23-2014, 12:41 PM
  #958
ohlscouting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Smallish players do play and contribute in the OHL, but usually in their 2nd or 3rd years. Not too many Domis or Fabbris.

Rumblings out there have the 3 US Kids going 1,2, 3- Chychrun (dual), Jones, Brown, and then followed by possibly Mcleod and Mascherin.
Chewer, I would agree that US kids might go 1,2,3 and a few more might creep into the first round. Keenan Suthers a Sun County kid that has played the last few years in Detroit, what is his status? I heard he might go the college route.

ohlscouting is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 12:52 PM
  #959
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan View Post
No way Belleville would select an american in the 1st. But taking Chychrun #1 would be a no brainer.
Those other 2 guys are no brainers. Brown and Jones should be rated #2 and #3. Size and skill in this draft is very rare. Those 2 guys have it.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 12:52 PM
  #960
ottawafan66
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Smallish players do play and contribute in the OHL, but usually in their 2nd or 3rd years. Not too many Domis or Fabbris.

Rumblings out there have the 3 US Kids going 1,2, 3- Chychrun (dual), Jones, Brown, and then followed by possibly Mcleod and Mascherin.
Wouldn't Brown also have dual? And I heard he was leaning towards the US national program so it might be pretty risky taking him top 3.

ottawafan66 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 12:53 PM
  #961
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
Wouldn't Brown also have dual? And I heard he was leaning towards the US national program so it might be pretty risky taking him top 3.
Brown is dual. If selected #3. They will know the player and agent are on board before making this move. It would not be a risk if taken that high. If Brown signed with the USNTDP before the draft, no one would touch him in the Top 10.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 12:54 PM
  #962
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune
 
SeanLafortune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlscouting View Post
The whole season is part of a process to evaluate talent, and of course the first 5 months will help in determining the proper evaluation on a player. Size, speed and Skills will determine the placing of a player in the draft. Each OHL team will highlight players that they are interested in, and will isolate these players while watching their games. From the Marlie tournament on to the OHL cup that's where decisions will be made. Stats can be misleading depending on team philosophy and many different factors. GTHL players will get more attention in the draft, but a true scout will look at all the different factors of a players performance and progress.

Candella or Lafontaine will improve their draft position depending on who wins their playoff series.
Thats a fairly old school thought process.

Im not sure that team success at the Minor Midget loop will have much baring on the Draft. Looking back to the 96's, Dal Colle lost in the semi-finals, Corneil was out in the first round, both where top 10 picks. Last year, Garrett McFadden didn't get a sniff of the OMHA's, Mitchell Vande Sompel and Ethan Szypula lost to Kitchener in their first playoff series, and they where first round picks. We all know Marner didn't get an OHL Cup invite, he seems to be doing fine in London. Point being, there is alot of documented history to suggest that players on average teams (or teams that under perform as was the case with last year's London Knights team) still will get looks because of their play over the year. Vande Sompel has been outstanding in Oshawa this year, but was average in the playoffs. Its not as if Oshawa was worried about it, they knew what they where getting with him. The draft is a crap shoot to begin with, you can't over think things and get cute.

Talent will prevail over team success at this level. You scout players, not teams.

And for the record, Anthony Salintri will be a top 15 pick.


Last edited by SeanLafortune: 01-23-2014 at 01:03 PM.
SeanLafortune is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 12:57 PM
  #963
lastplace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
I'm curious to see how the recently amended NCAA rules with respect to contacting prospective players will have on the OHL and players committing to NCAA programs.

lastplace is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 01:00 PM
  #964
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Smallish players do play and contribute in the OHL, but usually in their 2nd or 3rd years. Not too many Domis or Fabbris.
When talking about those types of players in this years draft, Chase Campbell is brought up. Not very tall but a very strong sturdy build. Has anyone noticed how Campbell shoots the puck ? One of the best wrist shots in the draft.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 01:05 PM
  #965
ohlscouting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
Thats a fairly old school thought process.

Im not sure that team success at the Minor Midget loop will have much baring on the Draft. Looking back to the 96's, Dal Colle lost in the semi-finals, Corneil was out in the first round, both where top 10 picks. Last year, Garrett McFadden didn't get a sniff of the OMHA's, Mitchell Vande Sompel and Ethan Szypula lost to Kitchener in their first playoff series, and they where first round picks. We all know Marner didn't get an OHL Cup invite, he seems to be doing fine in London. Point being, there is alot of documented history to suggest that players on average teams (or teams that under perform as was the case with last year's London Knights team) still will get looks because of their play over the year. Vande Sompel has been outstanding in Oshawa this year, but was average in the playoffs. Its not as if Oshawa was worried about it, they knew what they where getting with him. The draft is a crap shoot to begin with, you can't over think things and get cute.

And for the record, Anthony Salintri will be a top 15 pick.

Talent will prevail over team success at this level. Don't know many scouts who will sit at a table and suggest that because a team didn't move forward, they can't pick a guy they have loved for 5 months. Haven't had that conversation with anyone in a rink in years.
How many players got drafted out of Oakville last year Sean? Then look at last year's Grey Bruce team, and they only got one drafted. Where you play does matter on draft day.

ohlscouting is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 01:07 PM
  #966
ohlscouting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Windsor and Salintri's season is over

ohlscouting is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 01:20 PM
  #967
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune
 
SeanLafortune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlscouting View Post
How many players got drafted out of Oakville last year Sean? Then look at last year's Grey Bruce team, and they only got one drafted. Where you play does matter on draft day.
I thought we where debating winning playoff series and its effect on draft stock?

Oakville had that many players drafted because they are quality players. They recruited players from all over North America. Grey Bruce, outside of Van Ooteghem, didn't really have anyone else outside of McFadden that was really draft worth IMO, that's coming from someone who saw them play 20 plus times. In the second half of the draft, perhaps teams will lean towards players who have been in a winning situation, but that's when draft picks are lottery tickets at best. Some teams use them to pick US players, some take friends, some take high potential guys, there is no one answer to that.

I've had that conversation with parents over the years about 'teams' and geography, but I haven't had it with many scouts. I haven't heard a guy say 'we can't take him, he doesn't play for the Marlies', or 'he didn't win a playoff round, we can't take him'. If they was the case, they guys that I mentioned previously like Vande Sompel wouldn't have gone where they went.

You can feel differently, but we will have to agree to disagree.

As far as Salintiri goes, once he's healthy, should finish the year in Leamington's top 9 forward core.


Last edited by SeanLafortune: 01-23-2014 at 01:33 PM.
SeanLafortune is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 01:33 PM
  #968
Arsenault
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
When I made the comment months ago about a top end 98 headed to the GTHL, that was the guy. It's not happening now, due to the fact that the signing deadline was on Jan. 15th, I can say with certainty that the subject was explored. Logan is back playing with Indiana.



You don't through away 5 months of views based on a bad weekend (weekend wasn't even that bad IMO). You make bad decisions making rash calls on players who have a bad week or so, that's when teams make mistakes (the OHL Cup is filled with it, see Steven Broek). There are 2 teams at the very least that have him in their top 15, and it doesn't sound like they are ready to move him out. He'll be a first round pick.



Bitten will be fine. Way to many small players like Jason Akeson, Alex Aleardi and Justin Azevedo have been successful in the league for teams to be worried about it. Its a discussion point, but my feel so far is that not to many teams are going to use that size to tear him down, they like to many aspects of his game (for good reason)

Just a quick ISO Video update...

This week we have our top OHL Draft prospect, Jakob Chychrun. People who have yet to see him play will get a chance to see why he is the slam dunk top choice for this years draft.

Mr. Lafortune

I have been monitoring your posts for the last few years and must say I am impress with not only your knowledge of the local minor hockey scene put also the positive spin you try and place on almost every posting and player evaluation. All your postings are normally positive; but when criticism is given it is still done in a positive and constructive manner. Even your famous encounter (twitter) with Mr. T at the beginning of the year when you were evaluating the Sudbury Wolves young core was handled in a professional and conciliatory manner.

Looking forward to more of your posts and hopefully some of the folks that feel a need to use this site -and other social media venues- to attack and/or embarrassed teenagers in pursuit of their dream will learn from you!

Arsenault is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 01:34 PM
  #969
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
Thats a fairly old school thought process.

Im not sure that team success at the Minor Midget loop will have much baring on the Draft. Looking back to the 96's, Dal Colle lost in the semi-finals, Corneil was out in the first round, both where top 10 picks. Last year, Garrett McFadden didn't get a sniff of the OMHA's, Mitchell Vande Sompel and Ethan Szypula lost to Kitchener in their first playoff series, and they where first round picks. We all know Marner didn't get an OHL Cup invite, he seems to be doing fine in London. Point being, there is alot of documented history to suggest that players on average teams (or teams that under perform as was the case with last year's London Knights team) still will get looks because of their play over the year. Vande Sompel has been outstanding in Oshawa this year, but was average in the playoffs. Its not as if Oshawa was worried about it, they knew what they where getting with him. The draft is a crap shoot to begin with, you can't over think things and get cute.

Talent will prevail over team success at this level. You scout players, not teams.

And for the record, Anthony Salintri will be a top 15 pick.
Agreed.

chewerjones is online now  
Old
01-23-2014, 01:42 PM
  #970
lastplace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
"Talent will prevail over team success at this level. You scout players, not teams. "

Couldn't agree more. If you're good, they will find you. Simple as that. It's the sole job of a scout.

lastplace is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 01:55 PM
  #971
ohlscouting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
I thought we where debating winning playoff series and its effect on draft stock?

Oakville had that many players drafted because they are quality players. They recruited players from all over North America. Grey Bruce, outside of Van Ooteghem, didn't really have anyone else outside of McFadden that was really draft worth IMO, that's coming from someone who saw them play 20 plus times. In the second half of the draft, perhaps teams will lean towards players who have been in a winning situation, but that's when draft picks are lottery tickets at best. Some teams use them to pick US players, some take friends, some take high potential guys, there is no one answer to that.

I've had that conversation with parents over the years about 'teams' and geography, but I haven't had it with many scouts. I haven't heard a guy say 'we can't take him, he doesn't play for the Marlies', or 'he didn't win a playoff round, we can't take him'. If they was the case, they guys that I mentioned previously like Vande Sompel wouldn't have gone where they went.

You can feel differently, but we will have to agree to disagree.

As far as Salintiri goes, once he's healthy, should finish the year in Leamington's top 9 forward core.
Sean, I do have to give you credit that you are very familiar with junior hockey and the players that are in play at this years draft, and I do think we are on the same page with the later rounds in the draft.

ohlscouting is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 01:59 PM
  #972
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
When I made the comment months ago about a top end 98 headed to the GTHL, that was the guy. It's not happening now, due to the fact that the signing deadline was on Jan. 15th, I can say with certainty that the subject was explored. Logan is back playing with Indiana.



You don't through away 5 months of views based on a bad weekend (weekend wasn't even that bad IMO). You make bad decisions making rash calls on players who have a bad week or so, that's when teams make mistakes (the OHL Cup is filled with it, see Steven Broek). There are 2 teams at the very least that have him in their top 15, and it doesn't sound like they are ready to move him out. He'll be a first round pick.



Bitten will be fine. Way to many small players like Jason Akeson, Alex Aleardi and Justin Azevedo have been successful in the league for teams to be worried about it. Its a discussion point, but my feel so far is that not to many teams are going to use that size to tear him down, they like to many aspects of his game (for good reason)

Just a quick ISO Video update...

This week we have our top OHL Draft prospect, Jakob Chychrun. People who have yet to see him play will get a chance to see why he is the slam dunk top choice for this years draft.

He is undeniably the best prospect this year, with fantastic offensive ability. He should be first overall pick.

However, he will have difficulty at the next level in his own zone, as he has deficiencies in respect to positional play. Even at the recent Prospects Game, they had to play Thom with him, as Thom may be regarded as one of the top 3 stay at home dmen in the 98 group. Later in the game, he played a lot with Mete, and Team White's lead went from 5-1 to 5-5. LOL.

chewerjones is online now  
Old
01-23-2014, 03:10 PM
  #973
OMG67
Registered User
 
OMG67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
Thats a fairly old school thought process.

Im not sure that team success at the Minor Midget loop will have much baring on the Draft. Looking back to the 96's, Dal Colle lost in the semi-finals, Corneil was out in the first round, both where top 10 picks. Last year, Garrett McFadden didn't get a sniff of the OMHA's, Mitchell Vande Sompel and Ethan Szypula lost to Kitchener in their first playoff series, and they where first round picks. We all know Marner didn't get an OHL Cup invite, he seems to be doing fine in London. Point being, there is alot of documented history to suggest that players on average teams (or teams that under perform as was the case with last year's London Knights team) still will get looks because of their play over the year. Vande Sompel has been outstanding in Oshawa this year, but was average in the playoffs. Its not as if Oshawa was worried about it, they knew what they where getting with him. The draft is a crap shoot to begin with, you can't over think things and get cute.

Talent will prevail over team success at this level. You scout players, not teams.

And for the record, Anthony Salintri will be a top 15 pick.
Generally speaking, you are correct. However, there are a few caveats to that.

I think certain players may get advanced or set back because of team success and their involvement in it. The scouts do get to see those players in more higher pressure situations during playdowns for championships....especially when the team is supposed to perform at a higher level and they didn't get it done. In those cases, you need to look at reasons and how and if that player contributed to that failure. That can have an influence on diminished draft positioning, even if it means a drop from top 10 to bottom 10 of the first round.

Conversely, certain players that do have stellar finishes don't get the draft respect they deserve. Look at Monahan. He was drafted rather low considering his dominant performance at the OHL Cup. Heck, I think Gustavsen was the only other skater drafted from that Mississauga team. In that case, team success was meaningless from the perspective of the OHL draft. I think Gustavsen was a mid round pick too (7th?).

At some point, certain aspects of playoff team performance needs to come into play when evaluating players. It is not just about talent. It is also about compete and team play. Anyone can have a good or bad weekend and I agree that their stock should not fall or rise based on one single weekend tournament. However, when the playoffs come and you start seeing players falter or rise to the occasion over that period, I think that should play a factor in questioning whether a player rises or falls on the draft sheets.

That being said, in general, the team's talent level should not dictate the player evaluations. Weaker teams that have one or two players of high OHL calibre should be given the same weight as stronger teams loaded with top end OHL talent from an evaluation standpoint. Performance based on expectations SHOULD play a factor.

When a player like Monahan carries his team through a highly competitive OHL Cup and ends up 16th overall, it speaks volumes about mistakes made falling in love with players too early in the process though.

OMG67 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 03:44 PM
  #974
BigBuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG67 View Post
Generally speaking, you are correct. However, there are a few caveats to that.

I think certain players may get advanced or set back because of team success and their involvement in it. The scouts do get to see those players in more higher pressure situations during playdowns for championships....especially when the team is supposed to perform at a higher level and they didn't get it done. In those cases, you need to look at reasons and how and if that player contributed to that failure. That can have an influence on diminished draft positioning, even if it means a drop from top 10 to bottom 10 of the first round.

Conversely, certain players that do have stellar finishes don't get the draft respect they deserve. Look at Monahan. He was drafted rather low considering his dominant performance at the OHL Cup. Heck, I think Gustavsen was the only other skater drafted from that Mississauga team. In that case, team success was meaningless from the perspective of the OHL draft. I think Gustavsen was a mid round pick too (7th?).

At some point, certain aspects of playoff team performance needs to come into play when evaluating players. It is not just about talent. It is also about compete and team play. Anyone can have a good or bad weekend and I agree that their stock should not fall or rise based on one single weekend tournament. However, when the playoffs come and you start seeing players falter or rise to the occasion over that period, I think that should play a factor in questioning whether a player rises or falls on the draft sheets.

That being said, in general, the team's talent level should not dictate the player evaluations. Weaker teams that have one or two players of high OHL calibre should be given the same weight as stronger teams loaded with top end OHL talent from an evaluation standpoint. Performance based on expectations SHOULD play a factor.

When a player like Monahan carries his team through a highly competitive OHL Cup and ends up 16th overall, it speaks volumes about mistakes made falling in love with players too early in the process though.
There were a number of good players in Monahan's draft year, Galcheyuk,Gaunce,Laughton,Koekoek etc. who were picked before him. You also have to remember AAA lit it up at the OHL Cup and the 67's thought they stole him in the 3rd or 4th round he hasn't done much in Ottawa.

BigBuck is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 04:09 PM
  #975
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune
 
SeanLafortune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
Mr. Lafortune

I have been monitoring your posts for the last few years and must say I am impress with not only your knowledge of the local minor hockey scene put also the positive spin you try and place on almost every posting and player evaluation. All your postings are normally positive; but when criticism is given it is still done in a positive and constructive manner. Even your famous encounter (twitter) with Mr. T at the beginning of the year when you were evaluating the Sudbury Wolves young core was handled in a professional and conciliatory manner.

Looking forward to more of your posts and hopefully some of the folks that feel a need to use this site -and other social media venues- to attack and/or embarrassed teenagers in pursuit of their dream will learn from you!
Appreciate the kind words. I still get laugh's from people over the 'infamous' (my word) twitter discussion. I'm a big believer that 15 and 16 year old players shouldn't have to read alot of negativity on message boards or social media. Its not that hard to craft feedback in a way that keeps things honest yet respectful. Im happy to provide honest, credible feedback on any player, but there are some delivery methods that work, and others that don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG67 View Post
I think certain players may get advanced or set back because of team success and their involvement in it. The scouts do get to see those players in more higher pressure situations during playdowns for championships....especially when the team is supposed to perform at a higher level and they didn't get it done. In those cases, you need to look at reasons and how and if that player contributed to that failure. That can have an influence on diminished draft positioning, even if it means a drop from top 10 to bottom 10 of the first round.
Its all about perspective and expectations. As an example, If a player on Windsor doesn't play in the OHL Cup, it certainly doesn't hurt Salintiri. There are also way to many examples of players who had poor to average OHL Cups that didn't see their stock affected at all (and moved forward to strong OHL careers), because we already knew what they where.

To quote a friend of mine who is the Head Scout of a team, 'The main reason why I go to the OHL Cup is to make sure that players haven't fallen off a cliff'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG67 View Post
Conversely, certain players that do have stellar finishes don't get the draft respect they deserve. Look at Monahan. He was drafted rather low considering his dominant performance at the OHL Cup. Heck, I think Gustavsen was the only other skater drafted from that Mississauga team. In that case, team success was meaningless from the perspective of the OHL draft. I think Gustavsen was a mid round pick too (7th?).

When a player like Monahan carries his team through a highly competitive OHL Cup and ends up 16th overall, it speaks volumes about mistakes made falling in love with players too early in the process though.
You have to be careful with those situations thou. For every Monahan, there's an Abou Assaly. For every Cousins, there's a Broek, and for every Berisha, there is a Perklin. That tournament can make you look like a star, and even Ottawa didn't expect that Monahan would become the player he became. They pick top 8th, they go with someone else at the time. You can't over react when a player plays well over 3-4 days, odds are its not the norm. You'll miss some players, sure, but you'll be safer in the long term with less misses.

SeanLafortune is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.