HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Garon is 26.

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2004, 03:20 PM
gohabsgo2010

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Garon is 26.

That is fairly old for a guy with so much potential. I'm a big Garon fan, but sometimes I wonder if he'll ever get a chance to become the number one that he can be. I'm all for having such a great one-two punch in goal, but I'd really like to see this guy get a real oppurtunity before it's too late. Any thoughts on him?

Old
01-29-2004, 03:26 PM
Darz

First off, goalies tend to take longer to develop, hit there peak later in their careers, and tend to be able to maintain their peak level performance later then other players, so Garon still has tons of times to prove himself.

I can't see with Theo in town, outside of an injury, Garon getting a really chance to play as many games as your suggesting, but I think if over the next couple of season he could get 15-20 games in, Montreal management and the rest of the league would get a pretty good idea about how good of a goalie he can be.

It sure we be nice to have the luxury of two great goalies, either for insurance purposes or the ablity to stenghten another part of the team with a trade.

Old
01-29-2004, 03:35 PM
Dragon

Garon's positioning is still very immature. It is rare to see him making the second save. He is big and he cover a lot of space. His legs are fast but he tends to go down too early. He's an excellent backup but he won't be an elite goalie in this league. His ceiling is a Tomas Vokoun IMO. I agree he may be able to be a no.1 is a weak team but I don't think he can be a cup winning goalie.

Old
01-29-2004, 05:01 PM
Habber

I've pointed this small age difference (16 months) between Theo and Garon out to many when discussing Garon's role on this team. I have seen many comments in the last year about wanting to give Garon more starts so he can develop. I don't think we should be worried about Garon developing.

Theo is our no.1 and will be for many years to come. He's only 27 so he will still be in his prime for another 8 years at least. Garon may turn out to be a good no.1 goalie, but it won't be in Montreal. I see absolutely no chance of Garon overtaking Theo in the next year or two, so it's obvious he will be traded so he can have a chance at no.1 somewhere else. Hopefully he will stay here for a couple years and provide us with a solid back-up, but you've got to know he's going to want out sooner or later.

Old
01-29-2004, 05:10 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
Garon's positioning is still very immature. It is rare to see him making the second save. He is big and he cover a lot of space. His legs are fast but he tends to go down too early. He's an excellent backup but he won't be an elite goalie in this league. His ceiling is a Tomas Vokoun IMO. I agree he may be able to be a no.1 is a weak team but I don't think he can be a cup winning goalie.

I think he positioning is great. He's gotten much, much better on his angles and improving his confidence. To me he looks very good out there, with the exception of the last few games which could be due to going so long in between games. I think he's shown a great deal of improvement over the past, and it seemed his time in Hamilton really turned things around for him.

Old
01-29-2004, 06:28 PM
GhostOfTheForum

Send a message via MSN to GhostOfTheForum
I think our goaltending situation is great with the Theo/Garon duo and the prospects like Michaud , Damphousse, etc have got Montreal in a great position.

I would keep what we have until it is obvious that one of our prospects needs to be brought up to be showcased or we get a real good offer for Garon. That might suck to garon's fans but I think it would be in Garon's best interest until he develops a little more and being behind Theo is a great spot to do that.

They are basically the same age and get along well and garon can step up if Theo gets hurt.

Nope, goaltending isn't something that needs dealt with ATM

Old
01-30-2004, 12:13 AM
jacklours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
First off, goalies tend to take longer to develop, hit there peak later in their careers, and tend to be able to maintain their peak level performance later then other players, so Garon still has tons of times to prove himself.

I can't see with Theo in town, outside of an injury, Garon getting a really chance to play as many games as your suggesting, but I think if over the next couple of season he could get 15-20 games in, Montreal management and the rest of the league would get a pretty good idea about how good of a goalie he can be.

It sure we be nice to have the luxury of two great goalies, either for insurance purposes or the ablity to stenghten another part of the team with a trade.
Yeah, goalies peak are later then those of players, but it usually starts around 25.

Old
01-30-2004, 01:57 AM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
That is fairly old for a guy with so much potential. I'm a big Garon fan, but sometimes I wonder if he'll ever get a chance to become the number one that he can be. I'm all for having such a great one-two punch in goal, but I'd really like to see this guy get a real oppurtunity before it's too late. Any thoughts on him?
Patience, jl. Roloson, the man Garon is facing tonight, never had anything to write home about until his breakout season last year. And Roloson is well over 30 years old. I think Garon still has the potential to be a starter in this league, and at the very worst, an excellent backup.

Old
01-30-2004, 04:21 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklours
Yeah, goalies peak are later then those of players, but it usually starts around 25.
I agree with Darz, look at John Grahame he is doing great in TB and will be 29 this summer. Lalime will be 30 and really didn't come into his own till around 27, looks to be declining now though.

Theo in his way will prevent him from being a #1 in Montreal, especially with Theo only one year older. He may have to move on to be the man elsewhere, but the league is fairly good in tenders right now and most young teams have starters around the same age or a couple of years younger.

Old
01-30-2004, 02:15 PM
Dragon

This is the first year Garon play in NHL as a backup.
I remember Theodore spent several years as backup (Thibault, Hackett) before he became a No.1 goalie.
Indeed Garon is not even proven as a backup in NHL. He is doing very good so far but it takes at least 2 years to say that he has proven record in NHL (20+ games a year at least).
Some goalies play very good occasionally but if you ask him to play night in night out, he just can't keep up the same performance every night. There are handful of examples in the league right now.
Talking about Garon as a No.1 goalie in this league right now is too early IMO. Wait until he is proven as a good backup THEN we'll discuss about whether he can be a No.1 or not

Closed Thread