HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Marc Savard

Old
01-31-2007, 07:49 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Edge...

I agree. I don't see any reason why Savard wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. He's a #1 centerman on more than 1/2 the teams in this league. $5MM per, and going on 30 years old is not bad. He's shown this season he can put a team on his back and carry them for a decent period of time. He can help make a good team great. I don't think he goes for peanuts, but then again, I can't think of why he'd be going anywhere.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:28 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Why give up young assets for him when...

A. We could have had him this past offseason.

B. There will be a better choice of centers available this year. (Briere, Drury, Gomez)

C. He's got a bad attitude problem. The last thing we need is an ego to clash with Jagr's.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:30 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
Why give up young assets for him when...

A. We could have had him this past offseason.

B. There will be a better choice of centers available this year. (Briere, Drury, Gomez)

C. He's got a bad attitude problem. The last thing we need is an ego to clash with Jagr's.
D. He'd cost a lot on picks and prospects

E. He's making a good chunk of change.

01-31-2007, 08:34 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

Good points, I figured that D. would be implied when I said "Why give up young assets for him?"

Not worth it. I'd rather go after Briere or Gomez. Getting Gomez would really kick the Devils in the pants, and getting Briere would just give this club a huge boost. Those two are Ranger-Killers.

Old
01-31-2007, 09:32 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
He doesn't need Shanny, it's the other way around right now..While he was bit cocky in NY and had attitude/coaches problem in Clagary, he matured to a solid team player (and played in many different situations) by the time he reached Atlanta and he and Bob Hartley worked well together...And it this paly has contineued in Boston....Just took him a bit to mature..
Right. People have the image of Savard 4-5 years ago still stuck in their minds... things have changed for him, and he is a legit star now even without Kovalchuk and Hossa. I'd love to see what he and Shanny could do on a line together. We could wait for Drury in the offseason, but Shanny will be a year older and another season will be gone. Going after him now would obviously make us more of a threat this season. He's not exactly an old player and FA centers in his talent range are going to go for the around the same price in the offseason. Of course, this is all assuming that he's available. After Boston traded away Thornton last year, anything is possible.

The guy is a 100 point type of player!

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:32 AM
SPG

Quote:

As would any good player who can help this team.

Old
01-31-2007, 09:33 AM
SPG

Quote:
Show me some examples of that in the last 4-5 years.

Old
01-31-2007, 10:56 AM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Right. People have the image of Savard 4-5 years ago still stuck in their minds... things have changed for him, and he is a legit star now even without Kovalchuk and Hossa. I'd love to see what he and Shanny could do on a line together. We could wait for Drury in the offseason, but Shanny will be a year older and another season will be gone. Going after him now would obviously make us more of a threat this season. He's not exactly an old player and FA centers in his talent range are going to go for the around the same price in the offseason. Of course, this is all assuming that he's available. After Boston traded away Thornton last year, anything is possible.

The guy is a 100 point type of player!

and honestly everyone here is assuming shanny is going to be here next year and maybe beyond.... but dont you think with his philisophical differnces on the PP and the fact he has not been given support this year maybe make him not resign?

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 12:34 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I agree. I don't see any reason why Savard wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. He's a #1 centerman on more than 1/2 the teams in this league. $5MM per, and going on 30 years old is not bad. He's shown this season he can put a team on his back and carry them for a decent period of time. He can help make a good team great. I don't think he goes for peanuts, but then again, I can't think of why he'd be going anywhere.
I don't know why Boston would want to trade him either. He's 29 years old (30 this summer) in the prime of his career and arguably one of top playmakers in the game.

He's a legit 20-25 goal, 90-100 point player and with the way the game is being played he is going to be productive for the remainder of his contract.

Boston could re-stock their team and he'd still be a productive player for them when they are finished.

Again it comes down to cost. If I'm Boston I'm asking for a nice return.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 12:34 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
As would any good player who can help this team.
That's not the point.

The question that really needs to be answered is: does this team have a real shot at the Cup? If the answer is no, you can't make a move like that where you're taking on salary and giving up value. That also removes any possibilty of going after a Gomez or Drury in the offseason.

I'm not ready to make a move like that for Savard.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 12:35 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
and honestly everyone here is assuming shanny is going to be here next year and maybe beyond.... but dont you think with his philisophical differnces on the PP and the fact he has not been given support this year maybe make him not resign?
I agree with you.

I have a very big concern that Shanahan is gone after this season and I can't say I'd blame him.

Old
01-31-2007, 12:41 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
His last year in Atlanta, he was very well known for ill-timed, very undisciplined penalties.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 12:48 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
That's not the point.

The question that really needs to be answered is: does this team have a real shot at the Cup? If the answer is no, you can't make a move like that where you're taking on salary and giving up value. That also removes any possibilty of going after a Gomez or Drury in the offseason.

I'm not ready to make a move like that for Savard.
well what you and i think is completely different from what management thinks .... otherwise you would see more and more kids playing. this isnt meant to kick a dead horse but just to display that this organization obviously thinks it has a shot and its bc of their perception that they continue to stick with veteran players. bc of this you have to believe they will go for it in some form this year, especially since its not a given by any means that shanny will be back next year

Old
01-31-2007, 12:57 PM
Fletch

I think we still have a ways to go...

before determining if Shanny stays or goes. He came here for a reason (what exactly the reason was, I'm not sure). He came to a place without a #2 (or I should really say #1) centerman. He knew it was Jagr's show. Maybe he just likes being in NY - the place he wanted to be 10-12-14 years ago. He's outspoken - and always has been, but that doesn't mean he's not enjoying himself.

Old
01-31-2007, 01:29 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
His last year in Atlanta, he was very well known for ill-timed, very undisciplined penalties.
I'm not going to argue that point, but I associate "attitude problem and an ego to clash with Jagr's" as referring to problems in the locker room or other problems with coaches/administration.

Old
01-31-2007, 01:51 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Why would Calgary just let him go to Atlanta then? They didn't literally let him go, but they should have, with the return they got for him. Ruslan Zaynullin has been at best a career 3rd liner in the RSL so far, totaling 42 points in 241 career games.

So what's your explanation for that? It's not like Savard wasn't scoring. I wonder what the problem could have been.

Old
01-31-2007, 04:47 PM
SPG

Quote:
Why would Calgary just let him go to Atlanta then? They didn't literally let him go, but they should have, with the return they got for him. Ruslan Zaynullin has been at best a career 3rd liner in the RSL so far, totaling 42 points in 241 career games.

So what's your explanation for that? It's not like Savard wasn't scoring. I wonder what the problem could have been.
The Flames traded Savard in 2002 (we're talking almost 5 years ago now) after he started the season with 3 points in 10 games, so he wasn't scoring at the time. It's now 2007...

Zainullin was just 2 years removed from being picked 34th overall in the 2000 draft. Sure, he turned out to be a 3rd liner in the RSL... However, when you take a look back a few years later, as we are here, hindsight is always 20/20.

This is a perfect example of how people have the Savard of 4+ years ago stuck in their minds...

Its all a moot point anyway. I'm sure Boston won't be looking to trade him. Seems pretty clear that they'd rather move Boyes.

Last edited by SPG: 01-31-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old
01-31-2007, 05:01 PM
Fletch

I believe Calgary...

is where these 'attitude' problems of Savard surfaced, namely being cocky. He actually had a really good first season as a young centerman, I believe playing a lot with Iginla, and both experience success together. The next couple seasons were up and down and he bounced between the lines, and he may've even been out for a while in his third season with the Flames. I believe Conroy eventually replaced him on the top line and he sulked and his production suffered. He wasn't traded because of 3 points in 10 games because his 3 season total wasn't all that bad. There were other reasons, I believe; if I'm remembering this correctly.

Old
01-31-2007, 05:36 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Forget Savard. Just wait and sign Chris Drury!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 05:44 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Forget Savard. Just wait and sign Chris Drury!
I honestly believe that Chris Drury is hands down the most over-rated UFA this offseason.

At 4 million, I think he's perfect. But we all know he'll get beyond Savard money and probably be at 5.5-6 with all the interest. A franchise center he is not.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 06:05 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
I honestly believe that Chris Drury is hands down the most over-rated UFA this offseason.

At 4 million, I think he's perfect. But we all know he'll get beyond Savard money and probably be at 5.5-6 with all the interest. A franchise center he is not.

Old
01-31-2007, 07:18 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
is where these 'attitude' problems of Savard surfaced, namely being cocky. He actually had a really good first season as a young centerman, I believe playing a lot with Iginla, and both experience success together. The next couple seasons were up and down and he bounced between the lines, and he may've even been out for a while in his third season with the Flames. I believe Conroy eventually replaced him on the top line and he sulked and his production suffered. He wasn't traded because of 3 points in 10 games because his 3 season total wasn't all that bad. There were other reasons, I believe; if I'm remembering this correctly.
Savard was had a history of that going back to the OHL. It was something noted in the AHL and even his time in NY as well. It really came to head in Calgary where he was subsequently shipped out.

From what I understand, and this is second hand, there really aren't any attitude problems anymore. He's a fitness freak (which is kind of obvious when you look at photos of him now) and the guy has become a world-class playmaker.

Now I'm not saying he's going to be a great leader but I think the attitude problems are in the past.

I've always been a fan of Savard, even in the OHL I just knew the Rangers had a star. I remember chatting about him in chat rooms and stuff, long before Hockey's Future was around. I never expected him to become a 100 point player, but that's still pretty fun to remember.

Old
01-31-2007, 07:46 PM
Fletch

Edge...

with you 100%...I can still remember that first game he was called up - against the Leafs - a scoring fest and he seemed to get his wingers going (and was an even or plus in his first 15 or so games in the NHL). Thought he had an underrated shot (wrister) and was a very good playmaker. Not saying pick him up, but over the Summer, I was saying that. The time was then, not now.

Old
01-31-2007, 07:54 PM
squilber

I can't believe we traded this guy for the rights to draft stinking Jamie Lundmark. What a joke. If his attitude was such a big deal, then why did we draft lazy boy Pavel Brendl the same draft?

squilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 07:56 PM
squilber

Quote:
You just described the entire Rangers team my friend.

squilber is offline   Reply With Quote