HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-30-2013, 11:17 AM
  #726
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,315
vCash: 500
I've been using a stick cut to below my bottom lip in bare feet most of the time. I swapped in a plug that put the stick a little above my nose and it was a complete disaster. Felt like I was using the wrong handed stick. No ability to handle the puck. Swapped for another plug that put my stick between my nose and mouth and much better.

Crazy how just a couple inches makes a big difference.

Curious to see how it works on the ice. I am hoping the extra reach gives me a bit more on my shots and helps me get shots off quicker rather than trying to pull the puck in close to the body as much.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 02:35 PM
  #727
Brad Doty
Moderator
Compliance Hero
 
Brad Doty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: I.E.
Country: United States
Posts: 11,258
vCash: 500
I dropped from a 100 to 85 flex last year when I swapped positions and I loved it, but I'm usually totally a stickler when it comes to my gear--hate change

that being said, my budgetary constraints are forcing a change. I've been using the Easton Sakic/Hall curve for ages (probably shouldn't have as a defenseman--look out in front!), but the only one available in the particular model I'm after is the Cammalleri curve. It's obv. more of a midpoint curve, but has anyone here used it or swapped like I have?

__________________
Proud member of The Kurrilino Fan Club
Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 05:07 PM
  #728
God
Free Citizen
 
God's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
I dropped from a 100 to 85 flex last year when I swapped positions and I loved it, but I'm usually totally a stickler when it comes to my gear--hate change

that being said, my budgetary constraints are forcing a change. I've been using the Easton Sakic/Hall curve for ages (probably shouldn't have as a defenseman--look out in front!), but the only one available in the particular model I'm after is the Cammalleri curve. It's obv. more of a midpoint curve, but has anyone here used it or swapped like I have?
I switched from a Hall to the Cammalleri curve for a game and I hated it. But if you're a defenseman I suppose the curve might be a bit better. Expect your wrist shots to suck but at least your clappers will be low.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 05:13 PM
  #729
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha
 
Onetimersniper28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
For the P08 users, do you find throwing backhand sauce a bit more difficult than with other curves ? I have no problem to send forehand saucers, but the backhand flutters a lot and almost never lands flat.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 05:19 PM
  #730
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool
 
Watch for the Yeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I've been using a stick cut to below my bottom lip in bare feet most of the time. I swapped in a plug that put the stick a little above my nose and it was a complete disaster. Felt like I was using the wrong handed stick. No ability to handle the puck. Swapped for another plug that put my stick between my nose and mouth and much better.

Crazy how just a couple inches makes a big difference.

Curious to see how it works on the ice. I am hoping the extra reach gives me a bit more on my shots and helps me get shots off quicker rather than trying to pull the puck in close to the body as much.
How can you use such a short stick haha.

My stick goes up to my nose on bare feet, and my adam's apple on skates and bugs me, I am getting a longer extension soon. I was a forward and it was still bugging me, now I am a defenseman so I deffinetly need a longer stick. I can always cut the plug if its too long as well.


Last edited by Watch for the Yeti: 12-30-2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: filter issue
Watch for the Yeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 06:38 PM
  #731
ConoR187
Registered User
 
ConoR187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
can someone give me insight on the p14 toews curve? ive used the pm9, p92, and p88... so any insight on the curve based on the 3 ive used would be helpful.. ive heard its between a p88 and p92 with less rocker/lower lie

i like the pm9 for the lower lie, p88 for shot accuracy, and p92 for dangles/toe drags... so would p14 be a good middle ground?


Last edited by ConoR187: 12-30-2013 at 07:38 PM.
ConoR187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 02:28 PM
  #732
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch for the Yeti View Post
How can you use such a short stick haha.

My stick goes up to my nose on bare feet, and my adam's apple on skates and bugs me, I am getting a longer extension soon. I was a forward and it was still bugging me, now I am a defenseman so I deffinetly need a longer stick. I can always cut the plug if its too long as well.
I dunno, it's just easier to stickhandle. I use a little higher lie though, so that makes a difference.

When I first started, I barely cut my stick down and it was up to my eyes in bare feet. Then I cut it down to my nose. Then I read about the Howie Meeker stuff and kept cutting the stick down. I would usually cut it down a couple inches, but then put a plug to split the difference. I tried to go as short as to my chin in bare feet, which is kind of an old school stick length, but it was just too short, so for the last 2-3 years it's been at my bottom lip.

It's probably psychological, but my shots don't seem as good lately, so I'm trying to mix it up a bit and that's why I experimented with a bit longer stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConoR187 View Post
can someone give me insight on the p14 toews curve? ive used the pm9, p92, and p88... so any insight on the curve based on the 3 ive used would be helpful.. ive heard its between a p88 and p92 with less rocker/lower lie

i like the pm9 for the lower lie, p88 for shot accuracy, and p92 for dangles/toe drags... so would p14 be a good middle ground?
We actually had a dedicated thread talking about this curve.

But because I've been using the P14, P92, and P88 so much the last couple years, I'll sum it up.

For a couple years, I was using the P92. I liked the loft because it seemed to give me good power and lift on my shot, as my preferred method of shooting is to cup the puck, lean on the stick, then push/pull with the arms to snap it off. I also like the lie and shape for stickhandling and protecting the puck.

The downside is that, while I can snipe in warmups, a lot of my shots on the rush go high and wide and I end up clearing the puck off the glass and out. And a lot of times when I'm trying to pass the puck in game situations, I might get under it too much. Again, not the curves fault, I'm just not that good.

So this year I tried the P88 and the P14.

The P88 is a decent curve. I wish I had it in a nicer stick as mine has a really pingy blade and that makes it much harder to catch passes or intercept pucks. But it keeps the shots and passes low and on target. The downside again is that it's harder to lift pucks quickly, especially if you're used to shooting with the open blade like a P92. And I wish the curve was a little deeper to protect the puck and for dangling.

Like you said, the P14 is kind of a compromise. It's between the P88 and P92 in terms of both curve depth and loft on the face. It also seems to be a little shorter than the P92. It has a rockered toe, which means the lie is higher near the toe, which works great for pulling the puck in close. If you did that with the P92, you'd have just the toe on the ice rather than half the blade.

In terms of playing, it's really a natural move from the P92. The P88 requires a little different shooting technique, especially for lifting the puck. And it's easier to keep passes low but you can still put a little sauce on them.

Because the blade is a bit shorter, it seems to play more like a mid-toe curve than a mid. That's actually kind of nice for shooting, but it's a little less forgiving than a big flat "dumb" curve like a PM9 or P91. It also means that your stick will feel a little shorter and that could change your "effective" lie, so play with stick height. And toe drags are a lot harder with the toe shape.

Overall, I'd recommend it. I went from the P92 to the P14, then to the P88, back to the P92, and now back with the P14 again. I've decided to stick with it as it's just a good compromise all around for what I want in a curve. Sounds like you're in a similar spot. It's also readily available on intermediate sticks, which is nice since I'm short.

I would love to see a couple little tweaks though...I'd like to see the toe a little less rockered and with a little more of a regular shape near the toe. That would make toe drags a LOT easier.

As you can see from the post I linked, Easton has a couple blades that have similar philosophy...the E28 and I think the E36? I have pictures of them somewhere, but one if more of an open toe curve and one is more of a neutral mid-toe curve.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 03:57 PM
  #733
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha
 
Onetimersniper28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConoR187 View Post
can someone give me insight on the p14 toews curve? ive used the pm9, p92, and p88... so any insight on the curve based on the 3 ive used would be helpful.. ive heard its between a p88 and p92 with less rocker/lower lie

i like the pm9 for the lower lie, p88 for shot accuracy, and p92 for dangles/toe drags... so would p14 be a good middle ground?
The P14 has a higher lie than the PM9, but the toe is less rockered than the P92. It will offer your the accuracy on your shot that you have with the P88, but the toe is a bit square-ish and the blade is short. I personally hate that for stick handling and toe drags.
You could also take a look at the P92 Lie 5, which is just like the regular P92 but with a lower lie (5 instead of 6). That curve will offer you the low lie and the ability to dangle, but your shot accuracy might suffer.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 04:31 PM
  #734
ConoR187
Registered User
 
ConoR187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
The P14 has a higher lie than the PM9, but the toe is less rockered than the P92. It will offer your the accuracy on your shot that you have with the P88, but the toe is a bit square-ish and the blade is short. I personally hate that for stick handling and toe drags.
You could also take a look at the P92 Lie 5, which is just like the regular P92 but with a lower lie (5 instead of 6). That curve will offer you the low lie and the ability to dangle, but your shot accuracy might suffer.
thanks for the help boys

i would look at the p92 lie 5, but i buy replacement blades first before OPS to see if i like a curve and they don't have that..

what about landeskog bergeron and e28? are they clones or have differences?

also i should've put this in the first post but i like to load up my shot in the mid curve area, like the 5 lie on pm9 but would like it a little more open for dangling/toe drags.. not sure if p14 would be best for that? maybe something like a chara, smith pp01 or iginla?

ConoR187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 03:13 PM
  #735
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM
 
The Dark Passenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vermont -> Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,352
vCash: 500
Looking to get a new stick. Had an APX, 87 flex with a P88 curve and loved it.

I have the money for an APX2 but really don't eat to shell out $260 for a stick, as I play in men's league once a week.

That said, I still want a high end stick. You can get an Easton RS2 on hockey monkey now for $135. The only think I'm concerned with is the durability of it (from reading the reviews). Any advice? Also, which Easton curve is most similar to the P88?

Thanks in advance.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 05:08 PM
  #736
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 500
RS2 is pretty decent for durability, better than the RS1 which had issues.

You'd be looking at the Iginla curve.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 05:13 PM
  #737
God
Free Citizen
 
God's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Passenger View Post
Looking to get a new stick. Had an APX, 87 flex with a P88 curve and loved it.

I have the money for an APX2 but really don't eat to shell out $260 for a stick, as I play in men's league once a week.

That said, I still want a high end stick. You can get an Easton RS2 on hockey monkey now for $135. The only think I'm concerned with is the durability of it (from reading the reviews). Any advice? Also, which Easton curve is most similar to the P88?

Thanks in advance.
Easton has a history of poor durability lately. The RS2 was released quickly because the RS' blade was crap. Iginla is the closest but not quite. They have a new pattern similar to the p88 if not an exact clone, E36, but it probably isn't available on the RS2 because it was released with the new velocity series.

Try the CCM RBZ. It's a little bit more expensive than the RS2 (10 dollars - assuming you're using the 20% off thing it's not a huge difference). Equivalent Kane pattern is the Hossa - but it has a square toe instead of the p88's round toe.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 05:35 PM
  #738
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Easton has a history of poor durability lately. The RS2 was released quickly because the RS' blade was crap. Iginla is the closest but not quite. They have a new pattern similar to the p88 if not an exact clone, E36, but it probably isn't available on the RS2 because it was released with the new velocity series.

Try the CCM RBZ. It's a little bit more expensive than the RS2 (10 dollars - assuming you're using the 20% off thing it's not a huge difference). Equivalent Kane pattern is the Hossa - but it has a square toe instead of the p88's round toe.
No, E36 wasn't available then, hence Iggy.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 10:40 AM
  #739
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,315
vCash: 500
Waiting for skates to get sharpened yesterday and checked out the new stock of sticks. The new Warrior DT4LT seems pretty decent. It's $99, under 500 grams, decent balance, and I could actually flex the 85 senior which means it's probably on the whippy side (the only other 85 flex senior stick I've been able to flex is the One 95). Also, they have a new Yakupov curve, or new to me at least, which is an open toe similar to a Kovy pro.

I might have to squirrel away some funds and check out the 75 flex version.


Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 02:30 PM
  #740
Jisatsu
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 124
vCash: 500
Been going back and forth between the V9E and the MakoII. I prefer the mako, but the V9E is a pretty decent stick as well. I do like the RSII more than the V9E in terms of puck feel. All these sticks are 85 flex cut down quite a bit (I'm 5'9" and prefer my sticks to be at just above my collar bone when on skates), so they are about 95-100 flex. Still feels whippy to me compared to the 100 flexes I used years ago. I'm also pretty partial to the E3 curve, but have been playing around with an E28 blade and enjoy that as well.

Jisatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 11:32 PM
  #741
danglesnipecelle
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
im not an expert on this stuff but I always thought that the vapors have a low kickpoint and the intelli sense technology which basically can turn it into a mid kick dependant on where hold ur hands but that is only avaible in the higher end sticks

danglesnipecelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 12:37 AM
  #742
MattGTI
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Milford
Country: United States
Posts: 202
vCash: 500
This thread, as well as the stick buying advice thread has been very helpful for an old guy like me.
All the sticks, curves, blades, flexes currently on the market can be an extremely daunting task to research.

So I've tried a few sticks, with various differences.
I've found I really, really like a square toe on my stick(Getzlaf/Easton).
Is it just not as popular as the more rounded toe blades?
Just curious because I felt I've played my best games with that blade type(recently purchased two Easton Mako M 5's, the other being the Iginla curve)

Any disadvantages to this blade style? I suppose if it works for me and I like it, that's all that matters.
I just wish I could try more sticks with a square toe setup.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 02:40 AM
  #743
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 7,489
vCash: 500
I use a CCM RBZ and a Bauer APX...Just got the Sherwood EK15 first time using a Sherwood stick....omg it is so amazing. Easily the best stick I have ever used, this thing is 370grams! It feels like nothing and it is so balanced its incredible. The blade is so stiff and the puck control is amazing....seriously I can't say it enough give it a try.

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 05:40 PM
  #744
Shaun Bisson
Registered User
 
Shaun Bisson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 253
vCash: 500
Little bit OT, but I seem to remember a while back seeing a picture of a CCM rbz blade that had been cut in half. I can't remember if it was on here or not. I'm on my phone at the rink and we were talking about the speed channels (I just picked up a Stage 2 Tavares curve to compliment my RBZ Nuge curve) and was trying to explain it to people. I easily found the diagram on the CCM website but was wondering if anyone on here knew the picture I was talking about.

Shaun Bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 06:59 PM
  #745
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha
 
Onetimersniper28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
This thread, as well as the stick buying advice thread has been very helpful for an old guy like me.
All the sticks, curves, blades, flexes currently on the market can be an extremely daunting task to research.

So I've tried a few sticks, with various differences.
I've found I really, really like a square toe on my stick(Getzlaf/Easton).
Is it just not as popular as the more rounded toe blades?
Just curious because I felt I've played my best games with that blade type(recently purchased two Easton Mako M 5's, the other being the Iginla curve)

Any disadvantages to this blade style? I suppose if it works for me and I like it, that's all that matters.
I just wish I could try more sticks with a square toe setup.
The main reason I don't use square toe blades is that it makes it difficult to pull toe drags. I've used the P14 (Toews) and P88 (Kane) curves that aren't perfectly round, they're a happy medium in terms of toe shape.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 09:44 PM
  #746
MattGTI
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Milford
Country: United States
Posts: 202
vCash: 500
I will defintely look into them.
I pride myself on my defensive game. I'm not much of a finesse player, or goal scorer. I'm in the top 5 of my league in scoring basically solely on assists. However, I'm still learning the game, and want to give plenty of sticks a try.

I just feel really confident using that big square toe on a stick!

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 11:14 PM
  #747
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 7,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
I will defintely look into them.
I pride myself on my defensive game. I'm not much of a finesse player, or goal scorer. I'm in the top 5 of my league in scoring basically solely on assists. However, I'm still learning the game, and want to give plenty of sticks a try.

I just feel really confident using that big square toe on a stick!
If you are a defensivemen you should be using a square toe curve, it makes board play much easier.

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 11:15 PM
  #748
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha
 
Onetimersniper28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danglesnipecelle View Post
im not an expert on this stuff but I always thought that the vapors have a low kickpoint and the intelli sense technology which basically can turn it into a mid kick dependant on where hold ur hands but that is only avaible in the higher end sticks
On the older vapor line, the intellisense shot technology is available on the Vapor X4.0, X6.0, X7.0 and APX. The cheapest of these sticks is the X4.0, which sells for $70 on hockey monkey.

On the newer vapor line, you can find this on the X80, X90, X100 and APX 2. It starts at $100.

If you're looking for a vapor stick solely for this technology, go with the X4.0, it's heavy, but the thing kicks as well as higher end sticks.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 12:30 PM
  #749
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,315
vCash: 500
I don't have a problem with square toes, but they just aren't common. I tried and did not like the Lidstrom/Getzlaf curve, which is about the only square toe available.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 02:00 AM
  #750
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 7,489
vCash: 500
Everyone seriously needs to get/try a Sherwood EK15....I have tried every high end stick and this thing is a pure beaut. It feels like half the weight of any other stick and is so balanced...the blade is so stiff too...

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.