HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor Thread XIII

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2014, 03:48 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
The NHL on Monday moved to close a loophole left in the allegedly airtight collective bargaining agreement by notifying general managers the league would deem re-signing a player following a trade and a subsequent amnesty buyout as circumvention, and thus would not register the contract, The Post has learned.

It is believed the Lightning and Maple Leafs had discussed such a maneuver regarding Vincent Lecavalier, who has seven years and $45 million remaining on his contract, with the buyout thus worth slightly more than $30 million.
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/26...portedly-nixed

The NHL was dumb to not include this in the CBA.

Old
01-23-2014, 03:51 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
their is a loophole. what if a team like Oilers signed him and then traded him back to Rangers??
The player can't rejoin the club that bought him out at all for 1 year. (this is only true for compliance buyouts as far as I know)

And as RB pointed out... you can't trade the guy, let another team buy him out, and then sign him again. So... the answer is no either way.

Old
01-23-2014, 08:46 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Cue the shattenkirk to NYR rumors.

Old
01-23-2014, 08:55 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I'd love him here... But how awkward was that?

Old
01-23-2014, 09:00 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
mcdonagh-shattenkirk :drool:

Old
01-23-2014, 09:03 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
The player can't rejoin the club that bought him out at all for 1 year. (this is only true for compliance buyouts as far as I know)

And as RB pointed out... you can't trade the guy, let another team buy him out, and then sign him again. So... the answer is no either way.
Sather is great with loopholes. he will find a way.. remember when he did this.. http://nypost.com/2000/10/05/quintal...r-union-gripe/

Old
01-23-2014, 09:19 PM
Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
You'll see it in Sochi.

Old
01-23-2014, 09:40 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Trade Callahan.

Old
01-23-2014, 09:58 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Trade Callahan.
and Girardi.

Better yet, trade them together in a package.

Old
01-23-2014, 10:01 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Sather is great with loopholes. he will find a way.. remember when he did this.. http://nypost.com/2000/10/05/quintal...r-union-gripe/
um you consider acquiring grosek and brad brown as an example of being great with loopholes?? great job you found a loophole that let you acquire a pile of dog crap that no one else wanted

Old
01-23-2014, 10:04 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

It may mean nothing (could be trying to find where to slot Klein) but I have to think AV trying out McD-Stralman and Staal-Klein is a definite trial run for how things would look without Girardi. Especially since he did the same thing last game...moving Moore up with Staal and Stralman w/McDonagh.

I am still in the "sign him" camp but I think they will end up trading him.

01-23-2014, 10:04 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 243
John Moore and a 5th for Shattenkirk.

Make it happen Slats!

He's a hell of a puck mover though, jeez.

01-23-2014, 10:05 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Trade Callahan. Sign Girardi.

Old
01-23-2014, 10:11 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
It may mean nothing (could be trying to find where to slot Klein) but I have to think AV trying out McD-Stralman and Staal-Klein is a definite trial run for how things would look without Girardi. Especially since he did the same thing last game...moving Moore up with Staal and Stralman w/McDonagh.

Missed the game tonight. Did those pairings see a lot of ice time?

Old
01-23-2014, 10:13 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Trade Callahan. Sign Girardi.
I'm actually leaning the same way. Two months ago, I was not, but I am now.

Old
01-23-2014, 10:14 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:

I hope so. Good Dman but I am getting sick of the 1-2 consistent boneheaded blunders a game. Girardi, like Rosival, probably shouldn't be playing top pairing minutes.

Plus, I hate him on the PP.

Old
01-23-2014, 10:14 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Missed the game tonight. Did those pairings see a lot of ice time?
Not a ton. But they had a few shifts together, at different points. Pure speculation by me that could mean nothing.

Would be interesting to see a TOI breakout by pairing.

Old
01-23-2014, 10:17 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
I'm actually leaning the same way. Two months ago, I was not, but I am now.
I'm firmly in the trade both camp. If I had to choose, I would take Girardi I guess. But I would prefer if they traded him.

Old
01-23-2014, 10:33 PM
Two Tone Malone
This is no Zaku boy!

Quote:

Interesting observation and cannot be a coincidence. Life after Girardi is a very real possibility, and Stralman has really outplayed him so far this year.

Old
01-24-2014, 01:59 AM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:

Good post and I agree.
I thought the Klein trade spelled trouble for Stralman, but then I saw the pair juggling, including Klein with McDonagh tonight on one shift. That could be a signal to Girardi camp to put pressure on the negotiations or to see if they can live without Girardi.
Edit: Whether they trade him or not still depends on the price.

Last edited by Kwayry: 01-24-2014 at 02:17 AM.
Old
01-24-2014, 02:52 AM
mike14

9 games left until the deadline. Still not convinced that there is a plan or that Slats/AV know what they have/are lacking with the current roster

Old
01-24-2014, 04:20 AM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
I always do this in BAGMs. In fact I have that as my top pairing in my current run.

McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Staal - Girardi

It's pretty fantastic in NHL14, lol.

Old
01-24-2014, 05:46 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I think one of Kristo, Fast or Miller will be ready for full-time NHL duty by next year. Leaving 1 spot open shouldn't be an issue.

However they still have a hole on the back end in terms of offense and they are missing a power forward and a top-6 center. Big holes.
Yeah, I agree.

I definitely also think that we have reasonable depth to replace a D and a F. That gives us some maneruvability. Miller will be ready next season at the latest. OL and Fast are not playing bad for players their age and stage in development. Allen looked decent and McI is on his way. Kristo is a bit more high reward / high risk, but he might also get there.

Re. our prioritiz.

A few thoughts:

-Nobody can disagree with the need for a center. However, lets be realistic, getting one is another story.

Its -- extremely -- hard to get one. I mean, it would be so hard that we might just almost surrender the idea and aim at getting it done with a 1B, 2A and 2B approch. I know many aren't big fans of Brassard, but for a 2B role he might not be the worst option.

-Besides the need for a center, I think we could come a long way by adding:

1. A PMD

2. A PF

We really need puck-movement on the blueline. Looking at the best teams in this league, I think that it getting more and more the case that the best puck-moving teams are the best teams. Of the teams with the best puck-moving game, some are big and some have elite talent etc., but there are a bunch of big teams out there and a bunch of teams with elite talent out there, but none that has a blueline that moves the puck like Chi, Ana and STL, or even Boston for that matter. Boston has a very effective passing game and is a team that is really good at getting the puck up ice with forwards on it all the way.

My approch, would definitely be to look for these players and basically consider pros and cons with giving up -- any -- player, more or less, on our roster. I would look at young players or established players in these molds.

Sooner or later, players become available. We ought to be in a decent position at least to make a run for them.

That is the starting point. Cally and G are discussed a lot, it goes without saying that I would move either if we could get a real good PF and especially PMD, young or more established.

Another consideration that needs to be made is if it makes sense for us to "dump" a player or two or three -- just -- to gather assets to be in a "better" position to jump on especially a PMD once one become available. My gut feeling is just that if that is to make sense, the return need to be pretty high. Ie. higher than what are being discussed right now at least. Right now, I am not so sold on that we could get that return.

Old
01-24-2014, 06:32 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Yeah, I agree.

I definitely also think that we have reasonable depth to replace a D and a F. That gives us some maneruvability. Miller will be ready next season at the latest. OL and Fast are not playing bad for players their age and stage in development. Allen looked decent and McI is on his way. Kristo is a bit more high reward / high risk, but he might also get there.

Re. our prioritiz.

A few thoughts:

-Nobody can disagree with the need for a center. However, lets be realistic, getting one is another story.

Its -- extremely -- hard to get one. I mean, it would be so hard that we might just almost surrender the idea and aim at getting it done with a 1B, 2A and 2B approch. I know many aren't big fans of Brassard, but for a 2B role he might not be the worst option.

-Besides the need for a center, I think we could come a long way by adding:

1. A PMD = Would take a flyer on Rundblad

2. A PF = Chris Stewart for Boyle, Nieves and a pick? (CS has flaws but could be a good fit)

3. Center (replacement for Broadway Brad) = Glen Sather UFA redux

We really need puck-movement on the blueline. Looking at the best teams in this league, I think that it getting more and more the case that the best puck-moving teams are the best teams. Of the teams with the best puck-moving game, some are big and some have elite talent etc., but there are a bunch of big teams out there and a bunch of teams with elite talent out there, but none that has a blueline that moves the puck like Chi, Ana and STL, or even Boston for that matter. Boston has a very effective passing game and is a team that is really good at getting the puck up ice with forwards on it all the way.

My approch, would definitely be to look for these players and basically consider pros and cons with giving up -- any -- player, more or less, on our roster. I would look at young players or established players in these molds.

Sooner or later, players become available. We ought to be in a decent position at least to make a run for them.

That is the starting point. Cally and G are discussed a lot, it goes without saying that I would move either if we could get a real good PF and especially PMD, young or more established.

Another consideration that needs to be made is if it makes sense for us to "dump" a player or two or three -- just -- to gather assets to be in a "better" position to jump on especially a PMD once one become available. My gut feeling is just that if that is to make sense, the return need to be pretty high. Ie. higher than what are being discussed right now at least. Right now, I am not so sold on that we could get that return.
I see the above scenario

Old
01-24-2014, 06:58 AM
Stepan Glass
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Not a ton. But they had a few shifts together, at different points. Pure speculation by me that could mean nothing.

Would be interesting to see a TOI breakout by pairing.
At even strength by percentage:

McDonagh - Girardi 25.94%
Staal - Stralman 22.64%
Moore - Klein 15.57%
Staal - Klein 9.43%
Staal - Girardi 8.49%
McDonagh - Stralman 8.02%
Moore - Girardi 4.72%
Moore - Stralman 3.3%
McDonagh - Klein 1.42%
Staal - Moore 0.47%

Closed Thread