HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thu., Jan. 23, 2014| Flyers at Blue Jackets

Old
01-24-2014, 08:09 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
You need to read more thoroughly. He can continue scoring as a winger getting the same amount of time just let someone who is better at checking take that center role.
Like who? Schenn? Lecavalier? Neither are better than Giroux defensively. I've been on-board with moving Giroux to the wing, but it has nothing to do with his average defensive play. I just think his style of offense would work better when he has the whole ice in front of him.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 08:20 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Putting Vinny or BSchenn as the center on the 1st line would kill our faceoff percentage.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...fPercentageAll

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 08:23 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Put Emery on the wing..why not..we constantly have players not playing their natural positions..

I bet if we get Ryan he will play D..
I have a thought yesterday that since Vinny does not fit any of the O lines we might try him as a back-up goalie. He might be a smidge faster and more mobile than Emery

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 08:28 AM
Hiesenberg

Why can't Giroux take the FO and then they just move to whatever positions they are, basically if Vinny were to be thrown out, Giroux would take the FO anyway.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 08:32 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Why can't Giroux take the FO and then they just move to whatever positions they are, basically if Vinny were to be thrown out, Giroux would take the FO anyway.
This is basically what I've been suggesting for a couple of weeks. I would love to see a line of Giroux-Schenn-Voracek. Giroux can still take important draws, or all of them if you really want him to, but then play on the wing. Giroux is at his best when he has all of the ice in front of him. Working from his off-wing would allow him to do that.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 08:37 AM
Hiesenberg

I get that, but the forward issue isn't a problem outside of 1 guy, however the 6 guys who play defense, suck.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 09:54 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

I'm having a hard time understanding why people think juggling the lines will make a difference when the team can't get the puck out of their own damn zone.

JackStraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 09:56 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
Berube is doing everything he can. We just dont have the talent Our D is awful and no matter what shuffling you do back there, it's not going to change that.

Secondly, Bschenn deserves nothing. He is the most inconsistant player on this team. Atleast with Coots you know hes going to be great defensively.

Fact: Gus will not do anything to improve this D. We need to look outside of the organization.
Wow so much wrong here.

Berube is not doing everything he can, he's not making good choices when it comes to the lineups and it's hurting the team. He puts bad combinations of players together on the lines, he puts people in the lineup who should be in the press box, and he lets those players have far more icetime than they should, I swear the 3rd pairing and the 4th line are constantly out there together. He's also made bad decisions on when to play which goalie, both have been playing bad lately but the smart thing to do would have been play your starter against the divisional rival thats 2 points behind you in the standings. Even before this he played Mason against the Lightning and then had Emery play against the divisional opponent. It doesn't make sense.

Gus is no savior but he's certainly better than Mez and when they're together LSchenn plays better, which would be good too because he's been terrible lately. We need more speed back there and somebody who can get the puck out of the zone, Gus fits that mold. He will absolutely improve this defense, maybe not by a lot, but it would be stupid to not improve it at all just because it won't be 100% fixed.

Saying BSchenn deserves nothing is also wrong. He's been playing very well for the last couple of weeks and if he's going to be forced out of center by the useless Lecavelier then he should at least be moved to the 1st line. He has one of the best shots on the team and the 1st line needs a physical presence with a good shot, perfect. Moving him there then means you can bring Hartnell back to the second line and replace him with Raffl, which improves the defensive capabilities of the 3rd line.

If Berube was smart he would make the lineup:

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek - Top line with two great playmakers and finally someone with a shot who they can feed pucks to. If you're going to force a player out of his natural position you might as well put him with strong linemates to make the transition easier.

Hartnell-Lecavelier-Simmonds - Lecavelier has been bad for a long time now and apperently the excuse is that he can't play wing. So put him back in the middle with two players who can grind and get pucks out to him.

Raffl-Couturier-Read - Three players who are very strong defensively and can also provide offense, the best 3rd line combination you can make with these 12 forwards.

Downie-Hall-VV - Useless no matter what.

Timonen-Coburn
Streit-Grossman
Gustaffson-Schenn

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 09:59 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post
As long as our picks aren't part of the trades, I agree.
Yeah I forgot to mention that, he really needs to keep those draft picks. I would lose my mind if he traded a 1st or 2nd for a 30+ year old veteran.

Old
01-24-2014, 10:00 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Flyers defense is horrid, it really showed in the last 2 games. Big problem with the Flyers is clearing their own zone...start there. Big part of offense is the defense coming out of their own zone and setting up the play and they're having a lot of trouble doing this of late.
Line shuffling doesn't do a whole lot other than players having to adjust with different linemates again...this all starts with the Flyers defense.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 10:01 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
We have 7.6 million dollars in salary devoted to our third pair, and they might be the worst third pairing in the entire league. Let that sink in.
Get rid of them both and throw a bunch of that money at someone competent in free agency. BOOM Stanley Cup.

Old
01-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Harold Bingo
what

I didn't look at the minutes played, but why does it seem like the 4th line is out there all of the time? If your 4th line is giving up goals and not scoring any, what are they good for?

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 10:21 AM
FreshPerspective
Hextall is a deity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Flyers defense is horrid, it really showed in the last 2 games. Big problem with the Flyers is clearing their own zone...start there. Big part of offense is the defense coming out of their own zone and setting up the play and they're having a lot of trouble doing this of late.
Line shuffling doesn't do a whole lot other than players having to adjust with different linemates again...this all starts with the Flyers defense.
They have been impatient with the puck..but that is a result of fast teams pressuring the D men. This is a personnel problem more than anything. Berube can mask it by getting the forwards to support the D men a little better but turnover prone D men like Schenn, Grossmann, Mesz and even Streit don't help when they act like the puck is a grenade on their sticks. Even the forwards are doing it in our D zone...players like Vinny etc. They can tighten it up and be more patient with the puck but only to a certain point since the players causing the turnovers are not as fleet of foot.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 10:43 AM
kelmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
Next 9 games:

vs. Bruins - Loss
vs. Red Wings - Winnable
@ Ducks - Loss
@ Kings - Loss
@ Sharks - Loss
vs. Avalanche - Loss
vs. Flames - Win or I'm jumping off a bridge
vs. Sharks - Loss
vs. Rangers - Winnable

We're ****ed.
last place here we come

kelmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 11:34 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest
The problem with trading Voracek is that we then only have 1 first line player, and it's going to take much more than Jake to bring back a number one Dman.

I honestly think the best course of action is to try to get as much depth as possible on D. It's not as good as getting a Weber, but if you can roll 3 "2nd Pairings" it would be a great improvement. They need to add speed and puck skills, and a little offense on the back end.
At this point, the Flyers have their elite/franchise forward and a more than capable goaltender. The one thing that's really hindering this club is a top pairing defenseman. Doesn't have to be elite or an all star, but it's got to be someone who is head and shoulders above what they currently have.

If they can't acquire a decent first pairing defenseman for Voracek alone, I'd throw Read into the mix as well. That's pretty much two thirds of a line that a team could put together and that's two players who have very cap friendly deals.

The Flyers need something and correct, it probably won't fix all what ails the club. But when the Flyers made the Desjardins trade, their defense was just as bad, maybe even worse than what's currently on the blue line right now, and he turned that group around by providing a steady and calm influence. That's the one thing I see missing from this group - calm and steady. I figured with Timonen being in his last year, the rest of the d would follow his lead, but it's almost as if he's being tuned out by the rest of the group.

In terms of dealing Morin, Hagg, Gostisbehere or Alt, none of those guys should be on the table in any trade. Those four are as close to untouchable as a prospect can get.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 11:45 AM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

vCash: 50
trading Voracek and Read for a top pairing guy would not improve this hockey club.
Unless of course you like the idea of playing Jay Rosehill on the 3rd line.
This team is not an easy fix. the defense sucks and there is not enough depth at forward especially on the wings to make another forward for defenseman swap.
Barring a firesale I really cant see any deal that can be made to help this team. Well one that can realistically make anyway. not on NHL14
Good thing Holmgren likes his team.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 12:57 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
At this point, the Flyers have their elite/franchise forward and a more than capable goaltender. The one thing that's really hindering this club is a top pairing defenseman. Doesn't have to be elite or an all star, but it's got to be someone who is head and shoulders above what they currently have.

If they can't acquire a decent first pairing defenseman for Voracek alone, I'd throw Read into the mix as well. That's pretty much two thirds of a line that a team could put together and that's two players who have very cap friendly deals.

The Flyers need something and correct, it probably won't fix all what ails the club. But when the Flyers made the Desjardins trade, their defense was just as bad, maybe even worse than what's currently on the blue line right now, and he turned that group around by providing a steady and calm influence. That's the one thing I see missing from this group - calm and steady. I figured with Timonen being in his last year, the rest of the d would follow his lead, but it's almost as if he's being tuned out by the rest of the group.

In terms of dealing Morin, Hagg, Gostisbehere or Alt, none of those guys should be on the table in any trade. Those four are as close to untouchable as a prospect can get.
I'm not sure I buy into the absolute need for a stud #1 D. It's nice to have, but what has Shea Weber done for Nashville? He can't score all their goals for them.

I think the only realistic way you get a guy like that is when he is in the latter stages of his career. Desjardins was a different (pre-cap) era. The Flyers lucked out big time with Timonen, then paid through the nose for two good years of Pronger.

At this point I'm thinking that a better approach may be to go for more good two way guys than one great one. Players like that could be acquired in trade for less cost or even signed as free agents. The real #1 guys, teams just don't give them up.

JackStraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 01:26 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

I would trade Hartnell for an mobile two way D. Doesn't have to be good offensively, just get the puck out of the Zone.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 05:31 PM
The Nightman Cometh

I'd just like to throw my two-penneth in to say how utterly abysmal this game was and the team has been for some time now.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote