HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Circa 1951, Montreal Outdoor Rinks Video

Old
01-23-2014, 08:39 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Circa 1951, Montreal Outdoor Rinks Video

Classic footage from the City of Montreal Archives. A 10 minute clip showing some outdoor hockey and skating rinks from making the boards, installation, watering, to use, Includes a broomball game plus hockey action from youngsters to adults, plus other winter activities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BqpR...te0NbnE_89_JxA

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 10:09 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ Wow! Thats really something. Complete with lighting for the season & all of it portable. Face-off circles, even rounded corner boards. We talking like 50+ rinks like that?... In Toronto the boards, caging, lighting etc was generally permanent with the major outdoor rinks, concrete pads. Though in my area the Boards supplied by the city were 4 high - 2" X 12" rough planks, the corners square, no paint & no nets, lighting a single spot from a street lamp. No league games, just free shinny & skating on adjoining rinks without boards, all set-up on the playing field of the local elementary school. Very rudimentary.

Thanks for posting that. Quite a trip.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 11:55 PM
mbhhofr

When the changing shack at our community rink was closed, I used to change into my skates at home and walk 2 and 1/2 blocks in them to the rink. The lights were off and we played pick up games by the light of the moon. No Zamboni and as the winter went on, the snow bank from shoveling the snow off the rink and throwing the snow over the boards, eventually was higher than the 4' high boards.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 05:17 AM
Canadiens1958

Rink Evolution

^^^ 1951 outdoor rinks were limited to available. One with snowblower was a new suburban set-up, rest were inner city.

Would not guess at the numbers but including the Parks, parish, school, community center rinks there were easily a dozen within a 15 minute walk from home.

By the late fifties, the newer rinks, if space allowed included covered team and penalty boxes.New or renovated parks had a permanent chalet - four caged team rooms, facilities, park equipment, supervisors room.Otherwise a temporary wood shed, wood stove, benches. Older inner city rinks adjacent to schools, churches, community centers, etc benefited from basements, etc for change rooms. Granted some would walk over on skates.

Scrapers and shovels were available to clear the ice. Depending on the snowfall and access a snowblower would be used if available.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 01-24-2014 at 05:34 AM.
Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 12:15 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
I used to change into my skates at home and walk 2 and 1/2 blocks in them to the rink... No Zamboni and as the winter went on, the snow bank from shoveling the snow off the rink and throwing the snow over the boards, eventually was higher than the 4' high boards.
Oh ya, ditto on that, brings back a lot of fond memories, countless 1000's of hours out playing shinny and sometimes magically all on ones lonesome. I lived maybe 3 blocks from the schoolyard rink and always put my skates on at home, many a time actually being able to skate on frozen surfaces there & back.... of course no Zamboni, everything done manually, shoveling the surface after snowfalls, snow banks easily a good 6'-10' high some years and a riot to let go with a slapshot into them to see how far you could bury the puck.... and usually someone elses who was being annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
By the late fifties, the newer rinks, if space allowed included covered team and penalty boxes.New or renovated parks had a permanent chalet - four caged team rooms, facilities, park equipment, supervisors room.Otherwise a temporary wood shed, wood stove, benches.
Ya my first 2yrs of organized hockey was very similar to what you describe though the rink itself & the changing rooms or "chalet" were permanent structures. Seamless boards, caging, players benches & penalty box, concrete pad under the ice, tractor that cleared the snow with a water barrel, fully lit up. Wood stoves in 2 tiny dressing rooms, barely enough room to change your mind let alone your equipment. And cold. Located in the middle of a municipal park open for 100's of yards on all 4 sides with the wind chill factor cutting right through you like a knife. When you were playing shinny wasnt noticeable, you didnt really care as you were constantly moving but in-game with shifts, downtime, could be a bit brutal. Frostbite.... fortunately I played Forward back then, as if Id played Goal might be missing some fingers & toes. Amputations.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote