HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2014, 09:28 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

vCash: 500
If we pick 2nd and Ekblad is gone I'm not sure how the Oilers can pass up on Reinhart..RH center man that does everything for the Ice
We know how much the Oilers brass loved Lazar...well Reinhart is an even better player

Old
01-24-2014, 09:31 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I agree if you draft Ekblad send him back to juniors he is actually younger than most because of his bday. Whomever we draft should go back to junior.

If Ekblad is gone who do we draft?
I think many people overlook how we have rushed our previous first rounders and that the d's take longer to develop. Also, Ekblad is the best of a lackluster draft

Old
01-24-2014, 09:37 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
If we pick 2nd and Ekblad is gone I'm not sure how the Oilers can pass up on Reinhart..RH center man that does everything for the Ice
We know how much the Oilers brass loved Lazar...well Reinhart is an even better player
If the Oilers brass wants a Lazar type, it would seem that Bennett fits that profile more IMO. Abrasive, high octane forward who embraces physicality and has a good 2way game.
I'm just basing a lot of this on hearsay moreso than my own personal viewings, but he seems more like the type of forward that the Oilers need.

Old
01-24-2014, 09:39 AM
OilerFan4Life

For OHL people or CHL people that know, is Da Colle comparible to Landeskog at all?

A power forward is certainly intriguing if we finish with the 3rd or 4th pick.

Old
01-24-2014, 09:43 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
For OHL people or CHL people that know, is Da Colle comparible to Landeskog at all?

A power forward is certainly intriguing if we finish with the 3rd or 4th pick.
He's more of a power forward in the sense of being a big guy with beastly puck protection. He isn't overly physical.

Old
01-24-2014, 09:50 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
I think many people overlook how we have rushed our previous first rounders and that the d's take longer to develop. Also, Ekblad is the best of a lackluster draft
Gagner was rushed. Eberle was not. Who else was rushed?

Old
01-24-2014, 09:55 AM
bsmith14

If Ekblad is gone then Bennett or Nick Ritchie are intriguing options. Anyone know more about Perlini? He is a big kid as well.

Old
01-24-2014, 10:02 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
If Ekblad is gone then Bennett or Nick Ritchie are intriguing options. Anyone know more about Perlini? He is a big kid as well.
We can't take another winger... Even if he is a big body.

Old
01-24-2014, 10:04 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Guys, I don't want to overhype the size issue, but unless one of the prospects pulls away from the others enough to make him definite BPA, I don't want to draft one of these skinny guys.

Seriously, they're smaller than Nuge. And you simply can't add on a ton of muscle at that age.

Old
01-24-2014, 10:33 AM
rockinghockey

Just realized Ekblad has the same bday as me 7 Feb, except I am a lot older.
We have to draft this kid not.

Reinhart is 6"1" 185lbs, that is 10 lbs heavier than what RNH was when he was drafted. Hall was 185lbs when he was drafted, I can see Reinhart being 205lbs in 3 yrs. Whomever we draft has to go back to the CHL for another year.
If we can make a trade for a centreman with size like Anisimov then we can go after a winger with size or even move down and got after another winger or Fleury plus he is not 18 until July so he is a lot younger than most of the players on here.

Old
01-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Yak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Guys, I don't want to overhype the size issue, but unless one of the prospects pulls away from the others enough to make him definite BPA, I don't want to draft one of these skinny guys.

Seriously, they're smaller than Nuge. And you simply can't add on a ton of muscle at that age.
Yeah, the talk of "Well he's 6'1" and 175 pounds but he can add weight!" sounds exactly like conversations about Nuge pre-draft, and as we've seen, adding bulk simply isn't that easy.

I haven't seen a lot of writing on him, what are the pre-draft reports on Haydn Fleury like? Is he a realistic target if Ekblad is taken and we trade down, or if we wind up playing ourselves out of the bottom 5?

Old
01-24-2014, 11:18 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
I see him almost every home game. Big kid, and uses his size well to protect the puck, but not overly physical. If we somehow fell out of the top 4 picks, I wouldn't be upset with the pick. But I imagine there are other guys in that range that bring more of what we need.

He will be a great player... again, just not sure if he brings enough of what we need

Old
01-24-2014, 11:27 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Gagner was rushed. Eberle was not. Who else was rushed?
nuge and yakupov--Hall had nothing else to prove in junior--Yak and Nuge still needed to learn the game properly

Old
01-24-2014, 11:42 AM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
I see him almost every home game. Big kid, and uses his size well to protect the puck, but not overly physical. If we somehow fell out of the top 4 picks, I wouldn't be upset with the pick. But I imagine there are other guys in that range that bring more of what we need.

He will be a great player... again, just not sure if he brings enough of what we need
Thanks. Ya the scouting reports on Ritchie and Perlini raise some questions. Are you getting Dustin Penner, Anthony Stewart, or James Neal?

Old
01-24-2014, 12:29 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
And what kind of help are we going to get for a high pick in a weak draft? We would have to hope that some team totally falls in lover with a prospect but otherwise we will not get great value by trading the pick. If we do make a draft day trade involving the pick I am betting we include one of the young players on the team and it will be a block buster kind of trade.
I would be fine doing something like our first rounder and klefbom for a number 2 dman, easily do that trade actually

Old
01-24-2014, 12:35 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
nuge and yakupov--Hall had nothing else to prove in junior--Yak and Nuge still needed to learn the game properly
First Overall Picks Don't Go back To Junior (tm)

(Not that I disagree with you, in fact I was kind of leading with the question. But there's a rigid orthodoxy around these matters to contend with.)

Old
01-24-2014, 12:46 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak City View Post
Yeah, the talk of "Well he's 6'1" and 175 pounds but he can add weight!" sounds exactly like conversations about Nuge pre-draft, and as we've seen, adding bulk simply isn't that easy.

I haven't seen a lot of writing on him, what are the pre-draft reports on Haydn Fleury like? Is he a realistic target if Ekblad is taken and we trade down, or if we wind up playing ourselves out of the bottom 5?
Nuge was like 165lbs in his draft year. Bennett is 185lbs, same with Reinhart. They both will be fine going forward but we need to protect them on the 2nd line.

Old
01-24-2014, 01:08 PM
Oilton

Now between Nurse and Ekblad, who is the better prospect? If Ekblad is better then Nurse would it not be better to trade Nurse and draft Ekblad? Or if Nurse is better then Ekblad then, again, would it not be better to trade the pick? Keeping both does not make sense to me because neither helps the Oilers out right now.

Old
01-24-2014, 01:19 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilton View Post
Now between Nurse and Ekblad, who is the better prospect? If Ekblad is better then Nurse would it not be better to trade Nurse and draft Ekblad? Or if Nurse is better then Ekblad then, again, would it not be better to trade the pick? Keeping both does not make sense to me because neither helps the Oilers out right now.
Nurse is a LHD and Ekblad is a RHD. IMO if were moving any dmen it'll come down to one of Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse being moved out for an upgrade. Right now of those 3 I'd move Klefbom.

Old
01-24-2014, 01:32 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Ekblad is better, not sure by how much tho. I would rather keep both and trade one of Klefbom/Marincin.

Or maybe go for a full out rebuild focused on defense

Trade Hall + for Weber
Eberle for Bogosian

Weber
Bogosian
Nurse
Ekblad
Klefbom
Petry
Marincin

fill the holes on the wing with 2 way wingers. Pray Chase, Roy, Slepyshev, Yakmiov turn into top 6 forwards

Old
01-24-2014, 01:34 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

We'll probably end up with the 2nd/3rd pick, and I just hope we actually draft based on need, not necessarily BPA. We don't need more wingers.

Old
01-24-2014, 01:34 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Why can't we keep Nurse and still draft Ekblad?

Old
01-24-2014, 01:45 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Why can't we keep Nurse and still draft Ekblad?
I think the idea is that one of them is part of a package for an established D.

Old
01-24-2014, 02:03 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Except from what I heard at the WJC Reinhart has taken like 3 penalties in his junior career. He might not have the aggressive streak that we'd really like in our top 6. Some of the other prospects might be tempting if they have more of an edge to their game even if they have less skill. We got skill by the bucket loads.

Old
01-24-2014, 02:41 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
I think the idea is that one of them is part of a package for an established D.
I think its best to keep those two guys in the system. They can become a pairing to be feared for a long time.

Closed Thread