HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-24-2014, 09:28 AM
  #976
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,629
vCash: 500
If we pick 2nd and Ekblad is gone I'm not sure how the Oilers can pass up on Reinhart..RH center man that does everything for the Ice
We know how much the Oilers brass loved Lazar...well Reinhart is an even better player

The Last Dynasty is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 09:31 AM
  #977
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I agree if you draft Ekblad send him back to juniors he is actually younger than most because of his bday. Whomever we draft should go back to junior.

If Ekblad is gone who do we draft?
I think many people overlook how we have rushed our previous first rounders and that the d's take longer to develop. Also, Ekblad is the best of a lackluster draft

jumptheshark is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 09:37 AM
  #978
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
If we pick 2nd and Ekblad is gone I'm not sure how the Oilers can pass up on Reinhart..RH center man that does everything for the Ice
We know how much the Oilers brass loved Lazar...well Reinhart is an even better player
If the Oilers brass wants a Lazar type, it would seem that Bennett fits that profile more IMO. Abrasive, high octane forward who embraces physicality and has a good 2way game.
I'm just basing a lot of this on hearsay moreso than my own personal viewings, but he seems more like the type of forward that the Oilers need.

CupofOil is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 09:39 AM
  #979
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,599
vCash: 500
For OHL people or CHL people that know, is Da Colle comparible to Landeskog at all?

A power forward is certainly intriguing if we finish with the 3rd or 4th pick.

OilerFan4Life is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 09:43 AM
  #980
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
For OHL people or CHL people that know, is Da Colle comparible to Landeskog at all?

A power forward is certainly intriguing if we finish with the 3rd or 4th pick.
He's more of a power forward in the sense of being a big guy with beastly puck protection. He isn't overly physical.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 09:50 AM
  #981
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
I think many people overlook how we have rushed our previous first rounders and that the d's take longer to develop. Also, Ekblad is the best of a lackluster draft
Gagner was rushed. Eberle was not. Who else was rushed?

Moose Coleman is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 09:55 AM
  #982
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,479
vCash: 500
If Ekblad is gone then Bennett or Nick Ritchie are intriguing options. Anyone know more about Perlini? He is a big kid as well.

bsmith14 is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 10:02 AM
  #983
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
If Ekblad is gone then Bennett or Nick Ritchie are intriguing options. Anyone know more about Perlini? He is a big kid as well.
We can't take another winger... Even if he is a big body.

DousedInOil is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 10:04 AM
  #984
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,750
vCash: 500
Guys, I don't want to overhype the size issue, but unless one of the prospects pulls away from the others enough to make him definite BPA, I don't want to draft one of these skinny guys.

Seriously, they're smaller than Nuge. And you simply can't add on a ton of muscle at that age.

dustrock is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 10:33 AM
  #985
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,367
vCash: 500
Just realized Ekblad has the same bday as me 7 Feb, except I am a lot older.
We have to draft this kid not.

Reinhart is 6"1" 185lbs, that is 10 lbs heavier than what RNH was when he was drafted. Hall was 185lbs when he was drafted, I can see Reinhart being 205lbs in 3 yrs. Whomever we draft has to go back to the CHL for another year.
If we can make a trade for a centreman with size like Anisimov then we can go after a winger with size or even move down and got after another winger or Fleury plus he is not 18 until July so he is a lot younger than most of the players on here.

rockinghockey is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 10:35 AM
  #986
Yak City
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Guys, I don't want to overhype the size issue, but unless one of the prospects pulls away from the others enough to make him definite BPA, I don't want to draft one of these skinny guys.

Seriously, they're smaller than Nuge. And you simply can't add on a ton of muscle at that age.
Yeah, the talk of "Well he's 6'1" and 175 pounds but he can add weight!" sounds exactly like conversations about Nuge pre-draft, and as we've seen, adding bulk simply isn't that easy.

I haven't seen a lot of writing on him, what are the pre-draft reports on Haydn Fleury like? Is he a realistic target if Ekblad is taken and we trade down, or if we wind up playing ourselves out of the bottom 5?

Yak City is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 11:18 AM
  #987
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored
 
notloilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
If Ekblad is gone then Bennett or Nick Ritchie are intriguing options. Anyone know more about Perlini? He is a big kid as well.
I see him almost every home game. Big kid, and uses his size well to protect the puck, but not overly physical. If we somehow fell out of the top 4 picks, I wouldn't be upset with the pick. But I imagine there are other guys in that range that bring more of what we need.

He will be a great player... again, just not sure if he brings enough of what we need

notloilersfan is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 11:27 AM
  #988
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Gagner was rushed. Eberle was not. Who else was rushed?
nuge and yakupov--Hall had nothing else to prove in junior--Yak and Nuge still needed to learn the game properly

jumptheshark is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 11:42 AM
  #989
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
I see him almost every home game. Big kid, and uses his size well to protect the puck, but not overly physical. If we somehow fell out of the top 4 picks, I wouldn't be upset with the pick. But I imagine there are other guys in that range that bring more of what we need.

He will be a great player... again, just not sure if he brings enough of what we need
Thanks. Ya the scouting reports on Ritchie and Perlini raise some questions. Are you getting Dustin Penner, Anthony Stewart, or James Neal?

bsmith14 is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 12:29 PM
  #990
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
And what kind of help are we going to get for a high pick in a weak draft? We would have to hope that some team totally falls in lover with a prospect but otherwise we will not get great value by trading the pick. If we do make a draft day trade involving the pick I am betting we include one of the young players on the team and it will be a block buster kind of trade.
I would be fine doing something like our first rounder and klefbom for a number 2 dman, easily do that trade actually

jadeddog is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 12:35 PM
  #991
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
nuge and yakupov--Hall had nothing else to prove in junior--Yak and Nuge still needed to learn the game properly
First Overall Picks Don't Go back To Junior (tm)

(Not that I disagree with you, in fact I was kind of leading with the question. But there's a rigid orthodoxy around these matters to contend with.)

Moose Coleman is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 12:46 PM
  #992
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,102
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak City View Post
Yeah, the talk of "Well he's 6'1" and 175 pounds but he can add weight!" sounds exactly like conversations about Nuge pre-draft, and as we've seen, adding bulk simply isn't that easy.

I haven't seen a lot of writing on him, what are the pre-draft reports on Haydn Fleury like? Is he a realistic target if Ekblad is taken and we trade down, or if we wind up playing ourselves out of the bottom 5?
Nuge was like 165lbs in his draft year. Bennett is 185lbs, same with Reinhart. They both will be fine going forward but we need to protect them on the 2nd line.

raab is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 01:08 PM
  #993
Oilton
Registered User
 
Oilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Airdrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Now between Nurse and Ekblad, who is the better prospect? If Ekblad is better then Nurse would it not be better to trade Nurse and draft Ekblad? Or if Nurse is better then Ekblad then, again, would it not be better to trade the pick? Keeping both does not make sense to me because neither helps the Oilers out right now.

Oilton is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 01:19 PM
  #994
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,102
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilton View Post
Now between Nurse and Ekblad, who is the better prospect? If Ekblad is better then Nurse would it not be better to trade Nurse and draft Ekblad? Or if Nurse is better then Ekblad then, again, would it not be better to trade the pick? Keeping both does not make sense to me because neither helps the Oilers out right now.
Nurse is a LHD and Ekblad is a RHD. IMO if were moving any dmen it'll come down to one of Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse being moved out for an upgrade. Right now of those 3 I'd move Klefbom.

raab is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 01:32 PM
  #995
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilton View Post
Now between Nurse and Ekblad, who is the better prospect? If Ekblad is better then Nurse would it not be better to trade Nurse and draft Ekblad? Or if Nurse is better then Ekblad then, again, would it not be better to trade the pick? Keeping both does not make sense to me because neither helps the Oilers out right now.
Ekblad is better, not sure by how much tho. I would rather keep both and trade one of Klefbom/Marincin.

Or maybe go for a full out rebuild focused on defense

Trade Hall + for Weber
Eberle for Bogosian

Weber
Bogosian
Nurse
Ekblad
Klefbom
Petry
Marincin

fill the holes on the wing with 2 way wingers. Pray Chase, Roy, Slepyshev, Yakmiov turn into top 6 forwards

topchowda is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 01:34 PM
  #996
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
We'll probably end up with the 2nd/3rd pick, and I just hope we actually draft based on need, not necessarily BPA. We don't need more wingers.

SeriousBusiness is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 01:34 PM
  #997
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilton View Post
Now between Nurse and Ekblad, who is the better prospect? If Ekblad is better then Nurse would it not be better to trade Nurse and draft Ekblad? Or if Nurse is better then Ekblad then, again, would it not be better to trade the pick? Keeping both does not make sense to me because neither helps the Oilers out right now.
Why can't we keep Nurse and still draft Ekblad?

SeriousBusiness is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 01:45 PM
  #998
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Why can't we keep Nurse and still draft Ekblad?
I think the idea is that one of them is part of a package for an established D.

Moose Coleman is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 02:03 PM
  #999
Halibut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
If we pick 2nd and Ekblad is gone I'm not sure how the Oilers can pass up on Reinhart..RH center man that does everything for the Ice
We know how much the Oilers brass loved Lazar...well Reinhart is an even better player
Except from what I heard at the WJC Reinhart has taken like 3 penalties in his junior career. He might not have the aggressive streak that we'd really like in our top 6. Some of the other prospects might be tempting if they have more of an edge to their game even if they have less skill. We got skill by the bucket loads.

Halibut is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 02:41 PM
  #1000
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored
 
notloilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
I think the idea is that one of them is part of a package for an established D.
I think its best to keep those two guys in the system. They can become a pairing to be feared for a long time.

notloilersfan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.