HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Robert Hagg made his AHL debut March 29 [AAV is $925k, 3-yr ELC, per Tim P.]

Old
01-15-2014, 01:04 PM
poneill27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Still property. He was drafted in 2012. He would have to wait until the 2016 offseason I believe.
Ok Thank you.

poneill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 01:22 PM
Prongo
Beer

Who are the two woman they keep showing in the MODO game?

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 01:57 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
You're thinking of Justin Schultz, he left after his junior but found a loophole in the system where he was eligible to be a free agent because he played a year in the BCHL after his draft year & followed by three years in college.
Ah, thanks.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 08:02 AM
Appleyard

MODO highlights fro a few games ago:

http://www.modohockey.se/shl-arena/38696/

I thought he may have been the best MODO D man in that game even though he was a -, and MODO were crap.. Great play to help MODO score beggining at ~.45.

The game today will be on here later at 13.30 EST I believe.

http://www.wiziwig.tv/broadcast.php?...41&part=sports

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 02:52 PM
Appleyard

Hagg has looked pretty good so far tonight IMO. End of the 2nd and he has played 14 minutes. He got moved up to the 2nd pair with Cumiskey for most of his time ES... though they seem to be rotating pairs.

MODO winning 2-1... he was not on ice for any of the goals.

He made a great play to save a goal near the end of the 2nd, showed his speed to get back, pressure the forward and the keeper made a save.

He had a good shot that just went wide as well, slid past the post.

He has also been PKing quite a bit.

3rd just got underway if anyone is interested. http://nutjob.eu/njtvx9.html

Old
01-17-2014, 02:59 PM
Curufinwe

Has he been getting **** in Sweden for letting Risto blow past him to win the WJC?

Or do most fans just accept that mistakes happen and Ristolainen made a great play?

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 03:16 PM
Coffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Has he been getting **** in Sweden for letting Risto blow past him to win the WJC?
No, no point in bashing a kid who knows he ****ed up.

Quote:
Or do most fans just accept that mistakes happen and Ristolainen made a great play?
Pretty much.

Coffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 03:17 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
From what I have read not too much.

He did a pretty emotional interview immediately after the game where he basically said when asked how he felt, ' You feel completely ****ing useless, you feel piss poor.'

Said he made the completely wrong play, said he should not have been so aggressive, and he could not let that happen in a final.

Then something to the tune of:

I'm really ****ing upset and angry about what has happened. I think we were the better team, we created more scoring chances than the Finns but the puck would just not go in. I do not know what to do with it, (silver medal) I already have one so I may donate it to the highest bidder it feels like right now. I do not know, it will most likely end up in a drawer or something.

Then he said something to the effect of he felt absolutely awful right now, but tomorrow was a new day and he would come back stronger as a result.

He was so massively self critical I think people saw how much he cared and how well he had played up until then. He went on a few day break with his family and met up with his older brother then went back to MODO.

Then he said now the emotions had all settled down looking back the WJC was a great experience, that Sweden played great for most of the tournament and the Finnish goalie stood on his head to help them win... but that it still felt so much worse than the loss last year.

Ofc there will be some criticism, and maybe someone living in Sweden would be better versed to say the reaction... but there was not much in papers or online from what I saw. Scandinavian journalism is also less reactive and less '**** stirring' than most... and more level headed and objective, so that helps.

Old
01-17-2014, 03:20 PM
Larry44

Quote:

To be honest, it looked to me like he thought Risto was going to shoot, so he charged out at him, then got deked on a nice move. Geesh, the kid made one mistake after playing a great game.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 05:41 PM
Appleyard

Hägg had a pretty nice game today despite MODO losing 3-1.

He got 17 minutes ice time and was on ice for MODO's only goal and not on ice at all for any of Vaxjo's three.

He also helped save what seemed a certain goal... first got his stick on the oppositions stick and lifted it when the guy had like 90% of the goal to shoot at, then turned the puck to his goalie (the puck trickled towards the net) once it got loose.

Old
01-23-2014, 11:54 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Hägg had a pretty nice game today despite MODO losing 3-1.

He got 17 minutes ice time and was on ice for MODO's only goal and not on ice at all for any of Vaxjo's three.

He also helped save what seemed a certain goal... first got his stick on the oppositions stick and lifted it when the guy had like 90% of the goal to shoot at, then turned the puck to his goalie (the puck trickled towards the net) once it got loose.
I trust your opinion since I've never once seen you post anything stupid and you certainly seem to know what you're talking about, in your opinion what is a realistic guess for how he ends up? I'm not asking for his ceiling or potential, I'm asking if you had to make as accurate a prediction as possible what would it be?

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 08:02 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
I trust your opinion since I've never once seen you post anything stupid and you certainly seem to know what you're talking about, in your opinion what is a realistic guess for how he ends up? I'm not asking for his ceiling or potential, I'm asking if you had to make as accurate a prediction as possible what would it be?
If I was going to say what I imagine he most likely ends up as at this point (so long as he keeps developing and does not drop off a cliff) I would pretty much say ~Coburn (ie a 3-4 guy who has the tools to be better and sometimes looks dominant but does not put it together). Though I imagine he would be employed on a PP more just due to his shot. (Though looking at it logically/statistically he likely ends up a worse version of Coburn... Coburn is a pretty darn good NHL Dman.)

He has pretty much every tool in the box to be a top pairing guy... but it is a matter of putting it together. While it is entirely possible he could put it together the odds when you look back at other 2nd rounders is not great.

I mean, he skates with Cumiskey a lot... so you get a feel for how good his skating is (Cumiskey might have been the best skating D man in the NHL... even if he was crap in every other area.) and it is not Cumiskey level, but is very good... I think that with his size gets him to the NHL whatever.

Last edited by Appleyard: 01-24-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old
01-24-2014, 08:20 AM
Appleyard

3.07 is the best example in such a 'highlight' package of his skating. Effortless stride.

Old
01-24-2014, 09:54 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
If I was going to say what I imagine he most likely ends up as at this point (so long as he keeps developing and does not drop off a cliff) I would pretty much say ~Coburn (ie a 3-4 guy who has the tools to be better and sometimes looks dominant but does not put it together). Though I imagine he would be employed on a PP more just due to his shot. (Though looking at it logically/statistically he likely ends up a worse version of Coburn... Coburn is a pretty darn good NHL Dman.)

He has pretty much every tool in the box to be a top pairing guy... but it is a matter of putting it together. While it is entirely possible he could put it together the odds when you look back at other 2nd rounders is not great.

I mean, he skates with Cumiskey a lot... so you get a feel for how good his skating is (Cumiskey might have been the best skating D man in the NHL... even if he was crap in every other area.) and it is not Cumiskey level, but is very good... I think that with his size gets him to the NHL whatever.
Coburn was never projected to be much of a contributor offensively though. His scouting report basically projected him as a mobile defensive defenseman, which he has been. I would think more would be expected of Hagg offensively than was expected of Coburn. At least I hope so.

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 10:18 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
Coburn was never projected to be much of a contributor offensively though. His scouting report basically projected him as a mobile defensive defenseman, which he has been. I would think more would be expected of Hagg offensively than was expected of Coburn. At least I hope so.
I think it's a reach to expect Hagg to provide more offense than Coburn. As Appleyard has said, they have very similar skill sets. Both have good shots and the ability to be offensive producers, but neither is going to make a living off it. If Hagg can develop into a solid second pairing defenseman, then that pick will have been a success.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:

OK, sounds like about what I was expecting to hear, thanks

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 10:51 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I think it's a reach to expect Hagg to provide more offense than Coburn. As Appleyard has said, they have very similar skill sets. Both have good shots and the ability to be offensive producers, but neither is going to make a living off it. If Hagg can develop into a solid second pairing defenseman, then that pick will have been a success.
From what I have seen of Hagg (and admittedly it's not that much and certainly not the NHL) he makes quicker decisions with the puck, is a better passer, and is much better at getting his shot off. He also seems generally more comfortable carrying the puck. I know some people were expecting more offense from Coburn early in his Flyers career after he scored a few nice goals, but he has never shown me any real offensive instincts at all.

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Appleyard

Yeh, Hägg is naturally more offensive and has better puck skills... but I think the odds of him putting it all together are not great, even though I really like him and hope he can. Coburn was never compared to NHL D men with 40-50 points a year when drafted... Hägg was. But Coburn has already developed (bird in hand and all) wheras Hägg has not, so my best guess would be he ends up similar to Coburn.

I am still amazed they got him so late... no clue how he fell out of the first frankly with his skillset. I cannot imagine him not being an NHL unless he is injured or just drops like a stone for some bizarre reason. Guys who skate that well at 6'2 and 210 pounds age 18 are few and far between...

Old
01-24-2014, 05:26 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
Coburn was drafted as a project much like Morin. Big guy that could skate and could potentially be a two-way contributor. He had a 36 point season as a 22 year old. He just never took the next step.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 06:36 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Coburn was drafted as a project much like Morin. Big guy that could skate and could potentially be a two-way contributor. He had a 36 point season as a 22 year old. He just never took the next step.
I just looked up Coburn numbers in juniors out of curiosity & it looks pretty similar to Morin's. They both didn't put up points their draft year but had a big increase the next year.

Obviously Morin still has to finish out this year & then the following but it still looks like the same path from a production standpoint so far.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 01-24-2014 at 06:51 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 06:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Appleyard, how does Hagg do positionally? My possibly delusional dream is that he can become a bigger Timonen.

01-24-2014, 06:52 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
I think Morin will most likely turn into a carbon-copy of Coburn (though I still am hopeful for Pronger, it's farfetched). Coburn with better passing and a bigger shot (which is saying something, Coburn has a missile, it just never hits it's mark)

Gostisbehere was discussed best case as a Keith, and likely a Shattenkirk, which I'd love.

I'm hoping we get something close to a Kronwall with Hagg.

A young, athletic Coburn, Kronwall, and Shattenkirk? I'll take it. Plus Schenn, Alt, Lauridsen, Wilcox, Gustafsson? Fingers crossed

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 06:59 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 50
I truly believe that the worst case scenario for Morin is turning into a meaner Coburn with a hard slapshot.

Flyerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 07:02 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I think Morin will most likely turn into a carbon-copy of Coburn (though I still am hopeful for Pronger, it's farfetched). Coburn with better passing and a bigger shot (which is saying something, Coburn has a missile, it just never hits it's mark)
Well one thing in Morin's favor opposed to Coburn's is that he's often considered a smart player.

The Pronger comparasion that gets thrown around a lot is kind of unfair. I highly doubt he ends up being that type of player (would obviously love to be wrong on that) but I don't think it's unrealistic to think he ends up something in between Coburn & Pronger.

The Pronger comparasion is a really lazy one by the media, every year there's a big kid that gets that label & it's really unfair to those kids that they compare them to a guy who will likely go down as arguably the best defensemen of his time.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 07:10 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Well one thing in Morin's favor opposed to Coburn's is that he's often considered a smart player.

The Pronger comparasion that gets thrown around a lot is kind of unfair. I highly doubt he ends up being that type of player (would obviously love to be wrong on that) but I don't think it's unrealistic to think he ends up something in between Coburn & Pronger.

The Pronger comparasion is a really lazy one by the media, every year there's a big kid that gets that label & it's really unfair to those kids that they compare them to a guy who will likely go down as arguably the best defensemen of his time.
Yup. "Big defensemen, hard shot, mean streak...CHRIS PRONGER!"

Prongs brought so much more than just that. There are plenty of dmen who are big, can shoot hard, and play nasty. I do think Morin will exceed the "average defenseman" scare though.

As for Hagg, I think he's gonna be really good. Once he starts developing some consistency to his game, he'll flourish. I think being in Modo for another year will be more beneficially than playing under Murray in Lehigh Valley.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote