HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Garden....

Old
02-01-2007, 12:43 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
The Garden....

Was a disgrace this evening..I cant believe the amount of leaf fans that where there-Just ridicioulus. Yet, cheering so loud as if they're playing at home-ice, having trolls walking around just to start ****. It was bad. Our fan abse needs to get together and re-think a few things, cheer this team a little bit better with a ton more energy. Yes the team isn't doing good, but it used to be much more enrgetic at the garden. For christ sakes we had kids from an alumni hockey team dumping drinks at the maple leafs fan whom was looking for trouble. We're all in it together..it's our home, maybe the product out there isn't good but we all stick up for each other.

P.S.If this managment has eyes on play-offs, tomorrow is d-day...the day to aquire that 2nd liner and if possible that solid d-men. I would try to go HARD after Boyes and Stuart, at what price-dont know. But i'd like to see changes tomorrow. Time is running out.

LET'S GO RANGERS!!

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:15 AM
Petemo

while the "GO LEAFS GO" chants were really loud, the leafs fans got absolutely **** on over by me(326). One guy got tons of beer thrown on him, popcorn thrown on him by a bunch of kids, and a bunch of security came out. One guy in my section bought 30 dollars worth of popcorn for the kids to throw.

One guy also got blasted in the head by a beer he was in the 200's and the beer was thrown from the nosebleeds. hilarious.

Petemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:25 AM
in the hall

I really did not hear the go leafs go chant, or noticed that many leaf fans.. i mean there were a decent amount in attendance, i can think of a few just because they did things to stand out (those two hotties causing some noise from up top)

i'm not gonna lie though, it was flat tonight.. very flat.. they didn't even get loud for the pump up music or when larry danced

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 06:09 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The problem is that there are Leafs fans everywhere.The Rangers crowd is not the same crowd which used to attend the games a while ago

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 07:56 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
yeah the garden was very flat last night, no energy in the building.... but not cheering for larry good its about time no one cared about him.... but it was a boring game and the officiating was awful.... the building just didn't have that jump

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:36 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

The Garden was flat for sure, but i didnt hear any leaf chants where i was.

I thought the place would be rocking because it was a 730 start and there were alot more people in their seats when the puck dropped than at 7.

But it the Rangers fault for not getting the crowd in it sooner, and it was there fault again for letting up the tying goal 2 minutes after they took the lead.

I cant stand it when its quiet in the Garden, even Homo Larry couldnt get anything going. Yeah talk about a lame, frustrating game.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:41 AM
Grabner*

Leaf fans invade another arena. What else is new? Last weekend they pwned Mellon arena omg. STAY OUT LEAFERS!

Grabner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:47 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The Garden has been pretty lame all year. Although a 10-11-3 home record is nothing to cheer about. It's bad when you know going into a home game that there is a greater than 50% chance the team is going to lose. A team that can't win at home will never go anywhere.

In terms of people sticking up for each other and stuff, that went out the window years ago. This is no longer the days of the blue seats where the Garden was an intimidating place to play/watch a game if you weren't a Ranger player/fan.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:49 AM
clmetsfan

I'm not sure I like all this Dancing Larry bashing...

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Diehardfan419

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
The Garden has been pretty lame all year. Although a 10-11-3 home record is nothing to cheer about. It's bad when you know going into a home game that there is a greater than 50% chance the team is going to lose. A team that can't win at home will never go anywhere.

In terms of people sticking up for each other and stuff, that went out the window years ago. This is no longer the days of the blue seats where the Garden was an intimidating place to play/watch a game if you weren't a Ranger player/fan.
I disagree. I think that it still exists, but just not on a NIGHTLY basis-every game. The reason is simple..$$$$$. Prices have gotten so high now that alot of season ticket holders pick say, 15 games, to go to. The rest they sell to recoup the $$$. The Playoffs, last season vs the Devils, was like the old Garden. Thats where the full season tickets holders go to EVERY GAME obviously. There were MAYBE 20 Devil fans in the entire building at the first playoff game at Garden last season. And there was a huge EGDE in the crowd, too. I have also seen that this season as certain games, but again, people dont go to every game like they did cause of the $$$$. There is Stubhub, ebay, ticket brokers, etc, now.

The garden still has its edge, though. As far as last night, I didnt see many leafs fans where we were. The one I did see, tired to get up and cheer after a goal and was shouted down by the ranger fans in the section. So, I still saw that atmosphere.

Diehardfan419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 09:08 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

At the same time, there was a tied game and the Garden was quiet. There was a game that we were down by one and the Garden was quiet. It seems like the only time the Garden is loud these days is if the Rangers are winning in the third period. I've been to games this season where they scored a couple goals in the first and the crowd was still quiet. It's not until the third when the crowd gets into it. It's very wierd.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 10:06 AM
WestsideNYR

Outdated

First off, I'm not going to agree and say part of the reason is financial. I am in DC on business and couldnt even sell 200 level tickets for face value. You have got to be kidding me. People only want less then face or willing/able to pay a cetain amount. I am never going to give my tickets away for less, I'd rather eat them. I refused two Leaf fans for the very reasons below. Rangers fans are being stingy period.

Our arena is outdated and provides nothing in the way of a home ice advantage. If you leave it soley up to the fans, the results are the way it is for us. The newer arenas with glaring music, monster score board, steep stadium construction, circumferential scoreboard and improved design for noise make ours look pathetic. If we give up a goal in those, we feel the other team is going to pour it on. In our arena, someones cell phone goes off and half the crowd wants to know who's calling. This is a corporate based ticket sale base and until things change, our home ice advantage is minimal until we can get into the playoffs..

WestsideNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 10:59 AM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
Listen tyutin, while I was there last night, and yes it was more quiet than I would have liked. Saying that the Leafs fans chanted like it was a home game was absolutely ridiculous. The ones who did cheer got popcorn and soda thrown on them by 10 year olds and the idiots running around with the flag got embarassed and had beer showered on them. I have been to a Rangers vs Leafs game at MSG every year for the past 4 seasons. Last night was by far the least amount of Maple Loaf fans that had made the trip down. in 02-03 and 03-04 MSG had tons of Leaf fans and I felt almost out of place (the rangers sucking didnt help). As far as being loud goes, what did we have to cheer about for the first period and a half? Michael Nylander taking a shot on goal? If the Rangers score early, the crowd gets into it quicker. Plain and simple.

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:53 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman27 View Post
Listen tyutin, while I was there last night, and yes it was more quiet than I would have liked. Saying that the Leafs fans chanted like it was a home game was absolutely ridiculous. The ones who did cheer got popcorn and soda thrown on them by 10 year olds and the idiots running around with the flag got embarassed and had beer showered on them. I have been to a Rangers vs Leafs game at MSG every year for the past 4 seasons. Last night was by far the least amount of Maple Loaf fans that had made the trip down. in 02-03 and 03-04 MSG had tons of Leaf fans and I felt almost out of place (the rangers sucking didnt help). As far as being loud goes, what did we have to cheer about for the first period and a half? Michael Nylander taking a shot on goal? If the Rangers score early, the crowd gets into it quicker. Plain and simple.
Listen..I never said they chanted..chanted is a consistent praise of a team..I said they cheered. When the leafs scored it was bad.

Old
02-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
Listen..I never said they chanted..chanted is a consistent praise of a team..I said they cheered. When the leafs scored it was bad.
Not nearly as bad as its been, thats what my point was.

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 02:26 PM
JRGNYR

The Toronto Maple Leafs have a dedicated following, so I'm not at all surprised that they travel well, or they have several transplanted fans in other cities. For the dedicated fans, it's not that far a trip for them to take a few days and hit the road with the team to Pittsburgh, Boston, NY, etc.

Think about it in reverse, folks. I went to a Rangers/Boston game in Beantown in '99, during a really crappy time, and there was still a great representation of Rangers fans in the building.

I went to Toronto for a few days in September '04, and we caught a Yankee/Jays game at the Skydome, and the crowd seemed very close to 50/50.

When certain teams in various sports hit the road, their fans go to the games.

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 02:28 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
As long as they pay for their ticket and don't act like jerks they are allowed to cheer for the other team

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 05:44 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
I really did not hear the go leafs go chant, or noticed that many leaf fans.. i mean there were a decent amount in attendance, i can think of a few just because they did things to stand out (those two hotties causing some noise from up top)

i'm not gonna lie though, it was flat tonight.. very flat.. they didn't even get loud for the pump up music or when larry danced
larry is horrendous and anyone who gets loud for him should be banned from MSG for life. Leaf fans have been coming to MSG in droves for several years. This is nothing new. I was in 329 last night and saw the guy get pelted with beer. I would have loved to have been able to give him a shoulder as he ran by my section, but alas I was not in position to get to the walk-around.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 05:55 PM
bubba5

The garden will never be the same like it was from the 70's to the mid 90's. When they raised ticket prices and the normal guy could not afford season tickets, especially the bottom half of the garden, the enthusiasm went away. Most games are like going to a broadway show now.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 06:13 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Well put.

Old
02-01-2007, 06:26 PM
JamesG1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
The garden will never be the same like it was from the 70's to the mid 90's. When they raised ticket prices and the normal guy could not afford season tickets, especially the bottom half of the garden, the enthusiasm went away. Most games are like going to a broadway show now.

I'm sure it'll only improve when they sneak into the playoffs this year and the ticket prices rise again

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 06:56 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG1221 View Post
I'm sure it'll only improve when they sneak into the playoffs this year and the ticket prices rise again
This was hockey.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8K7r...elated&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8JQUYsM82M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbH8MmdYJtQ

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

You want passion from the fans? First off, you need passion on the ice. You want the fans to be loud? Give them something to cheer about.

There has been very little of either on the ice for a decade now. Don't blame the fans (or ticket prices, there's plenty of money floating around NYC right now and tickets to all forms of entertainment in NY have gone up a lot in the last decade) for something that starts on the ice.

There was a time when the waiting list for season tickets was over 4 years. There was a time when every ticket to every game sold out within 5 hours of them going on sale in early September. There was a time when there were very few mini packages and no such thing as micro packages, or family packs or any other way to buy tickets during the season. The franchise has let the fans down, not the other way around.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:43 PM
TomLaidlaw

The playoffs last season was insanity. Imagine if the rangers actually gave us something to cheer about instead of getting swept. I remember in Game 3 when everyone was unsure if Jagr was gonna play because of the shoulder and when they were announcing the scratches for the game everyone was quiet and when they didn't announce Jagrs name the place started to go wild.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Diehardfan419

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
The playoffs last season was insanity. Imagine if the rangers actually gave us something to cheer about instead of getting swept. I remember in Game 3 when everyone was unsure if Jagr was gonna play because of the shoulder and when they were announcing the scratches for the game everyone was quiet and when they didn't announce Jagrs name the place started to go wild.
OMG, I know. That night was the best atmosphere I have seen in the place since the 90's. It seemed that 3/4 of the people were in the building for the warmups and the intensity among the fans was incredible. There was a buzz around the building that i hadnt seen in a while. It was unreal. And maybe, maybe, 20 devil fans in the whole place. I said to the guys in my section, this is how I rememebr it from the 90's.

And I think that is what may be clouding judgement a little among the memories. People tend to remember when the building was like that all the time, but those memories are from PLAYOFF games. The building went 8 years without one. I can rememebr regular season nights in the 80's and 90's when the building was dead for a particular game, too. So, its the playoffs and the second halves of seasons that tend to bring out the nuttiness.

But the $$$$ is also a factor in the regular season. People sell off some games to recoup some $$$ for those playoff invoices...remember, the blue seats aint 8 bucks anymore.

Diehardfan419 is offline   Reply With Quote