HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Draft (Hawks pick 27th)

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2014, 11:20 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
2014 NHL Draft (Hawks pick 27th)

maybe we could sticky this one?

i'm assuming that, at best, we'll be picking somewhere between 22-30. the value might actually be pretty good. i know people are whining that the draft is supposedly weak...but that seems more at the top end of the draft. looking at the later 3rd of the first round the players look good - imo no worse than last year. it also looks like most of the top US players will be late first round...and the Blackhawks seem to like those players.

thoughts on what we should be looking for this year?

here are links to Bob McKenzie's show from TSN this week - he makes up his list by talking to NHL scouts

Rankings --> http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9593

Video archive --> http://www.tsn.ca/videohub/?collection=72&show=280897

Old
01-25-2014, 02:51 AM
CourtneyDagger50

I have never heard of him, but I am liking Conner Bleackley.

Quote:
Conner is a determined, competitive player who doesn’t take any shortcuts. He's smart, gets to the right areas and is a catalyst for positive plays all over the ice. He doesn’t allow himself to be denied!
Although, I hope our pick is 30

Old
01-25-2014, 03:12 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
An undersized skilled forward that's from Illinois, a high motor US kid with questionable next level offensive skill, or a defenseman from Sweden nobody has ever heard of.

Old
01-25-2014, 04:04 AM
monochrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
An undersized skilled forward that's from Illinois, a high motor US kid with questionable next level offensive skill, or a defenseman from Sweden nobody has ever heard of.
History will repeat itself and we will make that pick, im sure

Old
01-25-2014, 04:24 AM
Iridium128

What are our main needs? G or forwards? I like the look of DeAngelo and Dougherty (rank: 33), but I don't think D is our main need right now. Perhaps Demko may be the way to go? Scouts have been raving about his play. I'd be okay moving back to an early second and taking him instead.

Old
01-25-2014, 10:47 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

we need the best player available. Thats the way you should draft either way. Never can have enough good players.

Old
01-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
we need the best player available. Thats the way you should draft either way. Never can have enough good players.
Where the Hawks pick, the best player available is murky enough that you usually can pick for need. Best player available is usually more of a top 5-15 thing. As for sticky-ing...we can probably do that after the season ends.

Old
01-25-2014, 01:44 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
maybe we could sticky this one?

i'm assuming that, at best, we'll be picking somewhere between 22-30. the value might actually be pretty good. i know people are whining that the draft is supposedly weak...but that seems more at the top end of the draft. looking at the later 3rd of the first round the players look good - imo no worse than last year. it also looks like most of the top US players will be late first round...and the Blackhawks seem to like those players.

thoughts on what we should be looking for this year?

here are links to Bob McKenzie's show from TSN this week - he makes up his list by talking to NHL scouts

Rankings --> http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9593

Video archive --> http://www.tsn.ca/videohub/?collection=72&show=280897
It's not a "weak" draft, it's just a draft without any definitive, no-argument-about-it top pick or even top five picks. The high-end isn't there like you mentioned, but it's still a good draft as far as talent and depth.

Picking at 22-30 in this draft could still land you an excellent player. There's a lot to choose from in those spots.

I'm with Sarava in that picking where the Hawks likely will be picking, you look more at needs and who remains available at that time and balance those two things out over simply taking the best player available because that's completely up for debate and, as aptly described, is murky at that point.

Last edited by Blue Liner: 01-25-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old
01-25-2014, 01:52 PM
Easton Modano Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post

William Nylander is SB dream. A bit undersized highly skilled Swedish center who played youth hockey in Chicago before moving back to Sweden. He's long gone before we pick. But a guy like this is made for Stan. Too bad everybody's heard of him.

As for Stan's token Chicago draft pick, listed below are where the Chicago Mission alumni rank in the Central Scouting ranking this year. 5 Chicago Mission Alumni have been in the Hawk's system at one point recently and a couple more have been invited to prospect camp. Wouldn't be surprised if Stan went back to the well.

EURO
William Nylander #2

NORTH AMERICA
Nick Schmaltz #19
Christian Dvorak #69
Anders Bjork #86
Blake Clarke #93
Seamus Malone #128

If anyone knows where other Chicago boys from Fury, TI, CYA are ranked please post!

Personally would love a Nick Schmaltz pick. He was as high as top 10 in some mock drafts before the season began but it seems like he's settled into where the Hawks are picking now. Playing in the USHL and being American probably not the best thing for his draft status - sure didn't hurt guys like Backes, Pavelski, and Carlson though.

Old
01-25-2014, 01:56 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easton Modano Curve View Post

William Nylander is SB dream. A bit undersized highly skilled Swedish center who played youth hockey in Chicago before moving back to Sweden. He's long gone before we pick. But a guy like this is made for Stan. Too bad everybody's heard of him.

As for Stan's token Chicago draft pick, listed below are where the Chicago Mission alumni rank in the Central Scouting ranking this year. 5 Chicago Mission Alumni have been in the Hawk's system at one point recently and a couple more have been invited to prospect camp. Wouldn't be surprised if Stan went back to the well.

EURO
William Nylander #2

NORTH AMERICA
Nick Schmaltz #19
Christian Dvorak #69
Anders Bjork #86
Blake Clarke #93
Seamus Malone #128

If anyone knows where other Chicago boys from Fury, TI, CYA are ranked please post!

Personally would love a Nick Schmaltz pick. He was as high as top 10 in some mock drafts before the season began but it seems like he's settled into where the Hawks are picking now. Playing in the USHL and being American probably not the best thing for his draft status - sure didn't hurt guys like Backes, Pavelski, and Carlson though.
Schmaltz is very talented, I just worry about his compete level a little bit. I also don't believe he's actually a Chicago native, but I could be wrong. Think he's from Wisconsin, just played for the Mission.

If he's still around that late (don't think he will be) I'd take Sonny Milano (USNTDP) over Schmaltz. Or if Tuch happens to fall that late he'd a be a great pick on D, as well. I don't personally think either of those two will still be there at #22, though. We'll see.

Be interesting to see how Dvorak getting injured will affect his draft status. He was really starting to come into his own before he got hurt. Been watching him since last year with the Mission. I like him a lot.

Old
01-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Easton Modano Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Schmaltz is very talented, I just worry about his compete level a little bit. I also don't believe he's actually a Chicago native, but I could be wrong. Think he's from Wisconsin, just played for the Mission.

If he's still around that late (don't think he will be) I'd take Sonny Milano (USNTDP) over Schmaltz. Or if Tuch happens to fall that late he'd a be a great pick on D, as well. I don't personally think either of those two will still be there at #22, though. We'll see.

Be interesting to see how Dvorak getting injured will affect his draft status. He was really starting to come into his own before he got hurt. Been watching him since last year with the Mission. I like him a lot.
You're right, Schmaltz is from Wisconsin. But he and his brother were developed by the Chicago Mission. There's a reason they didn't play for Team Wisconsin or Madison. I think we can kinda claim him…

Don't get to see OHL but the guys on the London Knights thread seemed pretty pleased with how Dvorak was playing for a young guy. Seems like the expectation is he'll be a key cog in that lineup next year. Did you get to see him play any games with the Knights? Any insight?

Old
01-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Easton Modano Curve

Some comments on Dvorak. I'd love to take this kid in the 3rd or 4th round if that's where he ends up.

Winnipeg Jets scout Max Giese was the Steel’s Director of Player Personnel and told SB Nation at the time:

"Christian is a highly skilled, offensive forward who can score and make plays equally well. He has dynamic hands and great offensive instincts both with and without the puck. We liked Christian as a bantam and this past summer at the Select Festival and USHL Combine when he was seen as an undersized player. He has grown 3 inches this year and he is willing to play in the dirty areas, attack the net, and push the pace. He’s an adaptable player who has been productive this year with any set of linemates and in any setting, and he makes those around him better with his heady play. He has also shown the ability to elevate his play in big games. Gino Cavallini and the Chicago Mission coaching staff have done a great job of preparing him for the next level and Christian is the type of character kid from a great family who we are excited to add to our organization."

http://www.intheoradio.com/imported-...t-profile.html

Old
01-25-2014, 02:59 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
You're right, Schmaltz is from Wisconsin. But he and his brother were developed by the Chicago Mission. There's a reason they didn't play for Team Wisconsin or Madison. I think we can kinda claim him…

Don't get to see OHL but the guys on the London Knights thread seemed pretty pleased with how Dvorak was playing for a young guy. Seems like the expectation is he'll be a key cog in that lineup next year. Did you get to see him play any games with the Knights? Any insight?
Claiming him is fair. haha

I have not gotten to see him in London this year but the couple of guys I have talked to spoke in very positive terms. Said he was developing and coming into his own more and more as the season wore on and was looking really good until he got hurt.

Based on what I saw of him last season that assessment by Max is pretty much spot on.

Old
01-25-2014, 03:01 PM
hawksfan50

Our needs are still at goalie because none of the kids we have on the system in goal is ever honna be a starting nhl goalie let alone an elite one...I know..don 't wast a first rpunder om a goalie...too much risk of a bust..but the problem is that we usually pick so late in rounf two that other teams usually pick off some good goalie cabdidayes before our dlot comes up..Maybe we ought to trade down into the 40's to grab one of these then get an extra 2nd rounder for the 2015 draft for trading down..that draft is both better at the top end and deeper thtough several ronds over the 2014 draft..with 3 picks in yhe first 2 rounds. ..our 1st then 2 seconds..we could perhaps try to trade up into the early partvof round one yo get a really hreat prospect. This strategy of trafing fown this year for better payoff next year while addressong need for a better goalie prospect for the system to start his developmrnt now...since he will be 4 yrs away anyway afterbthe draft is the right thing to do..Tje only exception would be.if Alex Tivj was available atbour pick but I doubt he lasts. ..probably goes 15-21. ...So if we trade down for drafting a goaliebin the 40's...who to take as a goalie pick? You have Boston College's Thatcher Demko and 2 big hoalies.out of the UDNDTP who rate highly.. Not sure about eurogoalie.s this year.I do not thonk the CHL Jr. Goalie is I saw at the top Prospects Game are good enough to merit consideration...Stan's bigistake was taking Hartman as our forst rounder last draft...not because he is a bad pick...far from it..but his ceiling is as just snother nottom sixer as a projected NHLer.. STAN should jave taken a goalie. ..Tristan Jarru...who eent yo PITT in round 2..I thought he was an excrptional goalie prospect who could become an elite NHL starting goalie in a few years..I do not think anyone in this year's hoalie crop has such an elite ceiling as Jarry has. But alas...as usual Stan either ober-rates the goalies he has drafted in our system or refuses to draft a goalie first round fue to the longer wait and higher risk on 18 year old goalies..But in conseqience.of his foolishness we.have.meh on drafted goalies in our sysyem..at dome point Stsm must address this by ridking on drafting hoalies.if.not in tound one at.least by trying yo trsde for an earlier round two slot from which to grab potentoslly elite onrs.

Old
01-25-2014, 06:24 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Hawks have Crawford signed for 6 years , Raanta and projects in system (Carruth/Simpson/Whitney)

Goalie is something the Hawks have no need for and picking one high would be waste of valuable pick

As for this years draft ,, Wouldn't mind the Hawks moving down in draft to grab a few 2nd rounders and see what guys fall

Old
01-25-2014, 08:01 PM
monochrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Hawks have Crawford signed for 6 years , Raanta and projects in system (Carruth/Simpson/Whitney)

Goalie is something the Hawks have no need for and picking one high would be waste of valuable pick

As for this years draft ,, Wouldn't mind the Hawks moving down in draft to grab a few 2nd rounders and see what guys fall
Not now, probably 2-4 years down the road, having an elite goalie prospect will be important. Maybe a couple draft years from now the Hawks should think about it. Because beyond Raanta, there really isn't anyone. Raanta and Crawford will probably be our tandem for years to come, but you have to have someone cooking down there for when they start to get old and slow, obviously.

I think for this and next draft year we should be looking at wingers and maybe D. It seems as if the strength of our prospects lies mostly within our centers.

Old
01-26-2014, 01:20 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 800
Only fans of loser teams look at the draft options in January.

Old
01-26-2014, 12:16 PM
Easton Modano Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeticDonut View Post
True fans never take a day off.

Old
01-26-2014, 08:29 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeticDonut View Post
lolwut?

And those same "loser" fans are the ones that you'll rely on for scouting reports/impressions of players right after the Hawks draft them.

I really like Nikolai Goldobin. He could go top-20, or fall around the early second round.

Old
01-26-2014, 11:40 PM
SLarmer28

The Chicago Blackhawks need big left wingers who can skate and play a 200 foot game. With that said, hopefully Adrian Kempe is the answer in the first round of the 2014 NHL Draft.

Old
01-27-2014, 02:49 AM
Leidi J

Quote:

EURO
William Nylander #2

NORTH AMERICA
Nick Schmaltz #19
Christian Dvorak #69
Anders Bjork #86
Blake Clarke #93
Seamus Malone #128

Pavelski was drafted in the 7th round... did he even have draft status? lol

Old
01-27-2014, 06:51 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I still want the player that is the BPA at the moment. Don't care about the position. We don't even know our needs in 2-4 years

Old
01-27-2014, 11:14 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySensible View Post
lolwut?

And those same "loser" fans are the ones that you'll rely on for scouting reports/impressions of players right after the Hawks draft them.

I really like Nikolai Goldobin. He could go top-20, or fall around the early second round.
Great point.

Not going to lie, I agreed with Emetic Donut when I first saw this thread. I really could care less about the draft or prospects that will be on the team in x amount of years. We're a cup contender, not rebuilding. The only draft picks i care about are the ones we used on Teuvo, Danault, and McNeil. A 2015 2nd has no interest to me so i usually stay out of threads like these. However, the observations and scouting reports a lot of you guys put together are amazing and have their use when the time comes so thanks for taking the time to do it.

Old
01-27-2014, 11:16 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I still want the player that is the BPA at the moment. Don't care about the position. We don't even know our needs in 2-4 years
Agreed. Never a guarantee that any of our prospects pan out. Even our top prospects. Take the best player you can, see how they pan out, and assess team needs afterward.

Old
01-27-2014, 01:23 PM
Blue Liner

There's never been a time in NHL history where the draft has been more important for a contending team than nowadays. The hard salary cap mandates that you draft well to stay competitive, let alone be a legit contender. How do you think they're going to remain a contender? Retooling your roster every year strictly with free agents? Good luck with that. You need to have prospects in the system at all times to replace players you lose and be as productive, if not more so, than the player you lost in order to remain as competitive as you were previous, and do so cheaply for two or three years because you're likely giving raises to other players you need to lock up and keep within your organization to remain competitive. It's a never-ending cycle and if you have even one completely bad draft, without even ONE NHL player in it, you're going to feel it a bit at some point.

Look no further than last year's Cup winner. Players like Saad and Shaw, strictly from within the system, were key cogs in winning and did so on the cheap because they were under rookie contracts. That's not counting so many of the core guys who were....you guessed it....all drafted. Do they make hefty salaries now? Sure. But how much more would they have cost if you were another team looking to sign them as free agents? A hell of a lot more. To dismiss the draft so easily (and quite ignorantly to be perfectly honest) is foolish, not to mention insulting to those who care for whatever reason they care. That somehow makes them wrong for caring and having an interest? If that's how people feel about ANY particular thread, then leave the thread. It's an internet message board, people are allowed to talk about whatever they want to. You're free to leave at any time. There are fans who love to see what up-and-comers are up to, and it's some people's jobs to evaluate up-and-coming talent and what better place is there for those people, who are interested, to discuss that than here? Everyone else is free to go.

Last edited by Blue Liner: 01-27-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Closed Thread