Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Doan/Guerin/Tucker

Old
02-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Jarome-a-Rome

vCash: 500
Doan/Guerin/Tucker

Rob Kerr and Peter Maher continue to talk about the Flames landing a "big fish." They both seem to think that Sutter is after something bigger than Conroy, so I looked at who that someone might be... I came up with three names that seem to fit the bill... It doesn't seem that we need centermen since we have Langkow, Conroy, Lombardi and Yelle... we definetly don't need defense or goaltending... so, that leaves us with wingers.

There are a few guys that will be UFAs this summer, and who play for non-contenders, who would be a considerably larger move than Conroy was, and those include the three mentioned in the title as well as Nagy and Bertuzzi... however, I have discluded those two guys because Bertuzzi would almost certainly not want to come here since he left Vancouver because it was too much of a hockey hotbed, and Calgary is no different... and Nagy is probably a little too soft for the Flames style (of course, Huselius was too, and he's learned to play pretty well under our system, but it took him about a year to figure it out, and we don't have a year for a rental player to figure it out)

Also, while I realize that Toronto is definetly still in playoff contention, I decided to include Tucker's name because he has been rumoured to be available... another team that is on the fringe of the playoffs right now, but could drop out of contention is the Islanders, who have Jason Blake... he would probably also fit into this category, but I didn't include him because I haven't heard any rumours about him, and the Isles are still very much contenders.

Edit: also, some of the fringe players that may be considered big fish by some include: Calder, Bondra, Carter, Modin, Tkachuk, Zubrus, Nolan, Sturm... I would think that the Flames might be interested in any of those players except Tkachuk, Zubrus and maybe Anson Carter... Nolan and Sturm may be especially enticing to Sutter because of his past experience with them... food for thought.

Jarome-a-Rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
I disagree. I don't think any of those washed up, older players would do us any good. Our depth at forward is already solid, and you'd have to give up more than a pick for a guy like Calder. And I don't think Conroy is washed up and overrated... on the contrary, he's back in the situation where he'll have the most success. We should just get some more defensive depth and that's that. But from all indications on the radio and Peter Maher, they'll be making a bigger splash soon than they did with Conroy.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:06 AM
abracanada

Glad to hear Sutter isn't done. I agree that we need defensive help (#4 spot) more than anything. Some of the rumors I have seen by Ecklund/Spector etc. are Stuart out of Boston and believe this or not, Morris out of Phoenix. Either of those guys would fit the hole Leopold left, perfectly.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:09 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
I don't think any of those washed up, older players would do us any good. Our depth at forward is already solid, and you'd have to give up more than a pick for a guy like Calder. And I don't think Conroy is washed up and overrated... on the contrary, he's back in the situation where he'll have the most success. We should just get some more defensive depth and that's that.
I agree with all of that.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:11 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome-a-Rome View Post
Bertuzzi would almost certainly not want to come here since he left Vancouver because it was too much of a hockey hotbed, and Calgary is no different...
Yet he wants to go play in Toronto. How does that make sense? Regardless, I don't care where Bertuzzi goes as long as it's not Calgary.

Old
02-01-2007, 11:50 AM
natural420*

we dont need a forward, but we all know sutter wont overpay for one. so why not?? if we can pick someone up, go for it. sutter wont pick up someone he dosent feel will benefit the team. so a guy like sturm wouldnt be a bad option. could even further solidify our thrid line, which would then make our fourth line better as well.

plus the defenceman has still gotta be a need. #1 probably. a good #4/5 guy would be great. (obviously the guy would be a #1-3 on most teams, but most teams dont have phaneuf/regehr/hamrlik as their top three ) a guy like stuart would be great. great guy to place on our second powerplay unit and a decent offensive defencman.

i'll take a pass on derek morris again though, i dont think he's a suitable replacement for leopold at all.

this makes me laugh though. i doubt anyone here can say they woulda thought calgarys #1 need would be a defenceman and not a forward at this point in the season if you were to predict before the season started.

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
I disagree. I don't think any of those washed up, older players would do us any good. Our depth at forward is already solid, and you'd have to give up more than a pick for a guy like Calder. And I don't think Conroy is washed up and overrated... on the contrary, he's back in the situation where he'll have the most success. We should just get some more defensive depth and that's that. But from all indications on the radio and Peter Maher, they'll be making a bigger splash soon than they did with Conroy.
Ummm, you do realize that if you traded for Guerin, he'd be in your top 3 by goals right? Old? Absolutely. Washed up? Now you're embarrassing yourself

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:06 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
Ummm, you do realize that if you traded for Guerin, he'd be in your top 3 by goals right? Old? Absolutely. Washed up? Now you're embarrassing yourself
He called Doan old and washed up. What is with you Flame fans? You couldn't even put together a remotely decent package for any of those players.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:33 PM
tysester

And whats with you Yotes fans? You can't even put together a team decent enough that Doan would want to stay on.

tysester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
I wasn't talking about guys like Doan and Guerin. I would not want Guerin signed past this year, but as a rental he'd be good. And Doan could really flourish in Calgary; I bet Sutter would love this guy. I was referring to guys like Bondra, Sturm, Nolan, etc. Old and washed up and don't want them! Maybe you value them but l sure don't.... The point is they are stacked at forward and don't need them.

And Xavier and Checker, if I'm emberassing myself, why don't you come up with a fair package for Doan....

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

You're right, Doan could flourish in Calgary with his old buddy Iginla. He plays like Sutter likes, he's an Alberta boy and he'd be a second line scorer, leader, hitter which is a role he fits very well.

Could you afford to sign him long term or would it just be for the rest of this year?

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:05 PM
chriss_co

if rumors of a real big fish are true.. then the name would probably be doan.. w/ kobasew out longer, its a possibility.. but i dont think we want to give up what the coyotes would want in return (probably boyd or a 1st rounder)

imagine reuniting langkow and doan on a line..

but yea we are fine at forward right now.. defensive help is more likely and i cant see the flames giving up more than the oilers or some other team for a rent a D like stuart.. the oilers badly need help on the blueline.. we just need depth

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:24 PM
natural420*

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
He called Doan old and washed up. What is with you Flame fans? You couldn't even put together a remotely decent package for any of those players.
we wouldnt need a "remotley decent package" if the coyotes are selling at the deadline.

kobasew+draft pick(s)

or a younger guy(moss, boyd, ryder)+draft pick(s)

it would be much like the conroy deal, just a little bit sweeter for phoenix then la of course.
kobasew/moss/boyd/ryder > lundmark

Old
02-01-2007, 01:30 PM
natural420*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AY View Post
Could you afford to sign him long term or would it just be for the rest of this year?
with conroy and doan being added (for the sake of the conversation we'll say doan ends up here) i doubt we would sign both of them. and chances are conroy would be the one that stays cause he would come cheaper. doans a guy i think calgary would like to keep,guerin/forsberg would be more of a rental. not sure why i think that, i just think doan would be someone calgary would wanna hold on to. either way, if we sign doan there would be a couple guys leaving, calgarys getting pretty close to the cap as it is with conroy

Old
02-01-2007, 01:32 PM
wheeler1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural420 View Post
we wouldnt need a "remotley decent package" if the coyotes are selling at the deadline.

kobasew+draft pick(s)

or a younger guy(moss, boyd, ryder)+draft pick(s)

it would be much like the conroy deal, just a little bit sweeter for phoenix then la of course.
kobasew/moss/boyd/ryder > lundmark
Kobasew,goalie propsect with great upside,picks might get it done. Kobasew,Krahn,1st to be exact.

Last edited by wheeler1*: 02-01-2007 at 02:31 PM.
wheeler1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 02:06 AM
natural420*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muellerfan View Post
Kobasew,goalie propsect with great upside,picks might get it done. Kobasew,Krahn,1st to be exact.

haha, then were not interested.

and thats not what doan would be going for if he was gonna be shopped around. close but no cigar. either way. we dont need doan, so that deal would be laughable for calgary to do

Old
02-02-2007, 01:52 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

I read on some hockey site recently (can't remember which one it was, though) that Shane Doan is staying put in Phoenix and is not going anywhere, according to Wayne Gretzky.

Old
02-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Hemsky4PM

Kobasew and a pick for Guerin would be a great deal for the Flames.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Body Checker

With 3 veteran centers signed thru next season, Lombardi tied to the Flames for a few more years and the development of Ryder/Boyd maybe Taratukhin and our '07 first rounder are available.

I think a top four defenseman is a must. Warrener and Ference are an excellent 3rd pairing but neither should be in the top 4. Regehr needs a solid partner.

Taratukhin and '07 1st rounder to Boston for Brad Stuart. Now with Conroy let's go for it all this year (plus '07 is a weak draft year apparently)

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote