HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you think about Sergei Federov

Old
02-01-2007, 11:36 AM
ebn

vCash: 500
What do you think about Sergei Federov

He is healthy. More than Forsberg. Most importantly he played with Shanahan in Detroit. I am sure they have some chemistry there. He is 37 but so is Shanahan.
I think he should be a perfect center for Shanahan.

ebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:40 AM
clmetsfan

Not a bad suggestion.

But frankly, I think he too would cost too much and wouldn't be enough to make us a legit contender.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:41 AM
in the hall

hasn't he struggled the last two years?

whats his contract status?

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:43 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Doesn't he have another year after this anyway?

Hell no.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
J-Dawg

OMG, please stop, no more late-30's rental centers!!!

J-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DontStaal

would be pretty cool...... on my xbox nhl 07!

but seriously, I havent been following Fed so I don't know how his game is like. I would prefer a younger, less expensive play-making center.

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Dartmouth 02

Im probably in the super-minority on this, but in terms of style of play and teem needs, i think Fedorov would be a perfect match on NYR right now.

The contract, thats another story....one which should (rightfully) keep NYR away.

Dartmouth 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:09 PM
ebn

I know Federov is old but so is Shanahan and nobody complaining about Shanahan.
However, If Dubinsky is not ready Federov could be a nice stop gap. However, I don't know what you would give up. Maybe you do Prucha straight up. Prucha isn't exactly scoring. He's also not big. We got Callaghan who could take his place. In no case to you trade him or Dubinsky. The main reason I would get Federov is the Shanahan chemistry in Detroit. Could work for two years until Dubinsky is ready.

Old
02-01-2007, 12:17 PM
TheRedressor

The problem with Federov is he's not even a RENTAL. He still has another year on his contract and is a BIG TIME UNDERACHIEVER PAST HIS PRIME. Now PF on the otherhand is still in his prime.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:17 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn View Post
I know Federov is old but so is Shanahan and nobody complaining about Shanahan.
Nobody's complaining about Shanahan because all he cost was money. If their roles were reversed and we signed Federov in the offseason (had he been a FA) and could acquire Shanahan at midseason, I'm sure we'd all be taking the same stance: don't trade youth for vets in their late-30s when the team needs a whole lot more to contend.

Quote:
Maybe you do Prucha straight up. Prucha isn't exactly scoring. He's also not big. We got Callaghan who could take his place.
Prucha just had a three point game and has been getting some unlucky breaks all season. And while he's not big, he gets more out of his size than just about anyone in the league. And Callahan is promising, but Prucha also already has a 30-goal year under his belt, and you can't expect Callahan to provide that right away.

If you trade for Federov then you're going for it all right now. And if you're going for it all right now then you don't trade one of your biggest scoring threats.

Old
02-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Stoney La Rock

Wasn't Federov recently out for a few games with an injured shoulder? He's been struggling on the Blue Jackets, and when he signed with them I remember there was a huge expectation for him and Zherdev to really shake things up in Columbus....hasn't happened yet, and somehow I doubt (especially under Hitchcock's system) that it will happen anytime soon.

I agree with the poster who said the Rangers don't need another 30+ rental. The potential return would never justify the expense.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:27 PM
GarretJoseph*

no thanks.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:48 PM
ebn

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Nobody's complaining about Shanahan because all he cost was money. If their roles were reversed and we signed Federov in the offseason (had he been a FA) and could acquire Shanahan at midseason, I'm sure we'd all be taking the same stance: don't trade youth for vets in their late-30s when the team needs a whole lot more to contend.

Prucha just had a three point game and has been getting some unlucky breaks all season. And while he's not big, he gets more out of his size than just about anyone in the league. And Callahan is promising, but Prucha also already has a 30-goal year under his belt, and you can't expect Callahan to provide that right away.

If you trade for Federov then you're going for it all right now. And if you're going for it all right now then you don't trade one of your biggest scoring threats.
Prucha has been invisible all year. He seems to play well with chechs like Rucinsky but not with North Americans. If we want to get Prucha going then maybe we should aquire a Chech or a Slovak center. However, for the most part this season Prucha hasn't been scoring. This might be also because Prucha doesn't get first line power play time either. Not all youth for Older players is bad. A long long time ago Rangers made a trade Ulf Dalhen for Mike Gartner and it turned out well for both teams. Gartner althought old at that time really helped the Rangers. He scored a lot for them. I know people don't want old palyers but we need to make the playoffs and the biggest reason we won't is because right now we don't have the chemistry on this team. We been juggling liens all season. I think Federov would solidify the second line spot. Give us a second line threat with Shanahan. I am not the GM but because the players played together they should produce. They were great in Detroit. In fact it's when Federov left Detroit is when he just hasn't been the same and that's because he didn't have the players like in Detroit. Like Shanahan.

Old
02-01-2007, 01:02 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Peter Forsberg is in his prime?A 33 year old(soon to be 34)player with the kind of miles Forsberg has logged in his career is not in his prime.Throw in the number of serious injuries he has sustained his career

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
If Feds were to be an UFA this summer, I'd say he'd be a good fit. Not better than Foppa by any stretch of the imagination, but perhaps cheaper. Problem is, he's got a longer contract, so forget it.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:50 PM
JamesG1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipsydoodle View Post
Wasn't Federov recently out for a few games with an injured shoulder? He's been struggling on the Blue Jackets, and when he signed with them I remember there was a huge expectation for him and Zherdev to really shake things up in Columbus....hasn't happened yet, and somehow I doubt (especially under Hitchcock's system) that it will happen anytime soon.

I agree with the poster who said the Rangers don't need another 30+ rental. The potential return would never justify the expense.

Actually he signed with the Ducks and was supposed to be this big deal. He managed a 30 goal season the year before the lockout and then faded away and hasn't put up many points since the lockout has ended. They dumped him on Columbus and he hasn't been able to do all that much there either. HE'S the type of guy you deem an overpaid underachiever at this point. He's just not the same player he used to be

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:53 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Prucha has been invisible all year. He seems to play well with chechs like Rucinsky but not with North Americans. If we want to get Prucha going then maybe we should aquire a Chech or a Slovak center. However, for the most part this season Prucha hasn't been scoring. This might be also because Prucha doesn't get first line power play time either. Not all youth for Older players is bad. A long long time ago Rangers made a trade Ulf Dalhen for Mike Gartner and it turned out well for both teams. Gartner althought old at that time really helped the Rangers. He scored a lot for them. I know people don't want old palyers but we need to make the playoffs and the biggest reason we won't is because right now we don't have the chemistry on this team. We been juggling liens all season. I think Federov would solidify the second line spot. Give us a second line threat with Shanahan. I am not the GM but because the players played together they should produce. They were great in Detroit. In fact it's when Federov left Detroit is when he just hasn't been the same and that's because he didn't have the players like in Detroit. Like Shanahan.
We need to make the playoffs so that we can get bounced in the first round? You really think that Fedorov, who has all of 30 points this season, is going to suddenly make us a team to be reckoned with? Let's try to hold on to our young talent rather than trading for overpriced vets on the downside of their careers.

And don't compare Fedorov to Gartner. Gartner was 30 years old and in the prime of his career when we acquired him. Fedorov is 37 and a shadow of his former self. If we were a piece or two away then it would be worth thinking about. But we're not.

Old
02-01-2007, 02:02 PM
ebn

Yes Federov has a huge contract but he may come cheaper because of that.
Maybe we can unload Kasperaitis on them in return who knows. Like Kasper and a player. The point is the more the contract the cheaper the player. Also the older the player the cheaper the player. I know Federov hasn't been his former self in Aneheim and Columbus but he played with Shanahan before which is why I want him. If he didn't then I would probably pass too.

Old
02-01-2007, 02:05 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Yes Federov has a huge contract but he may come cheaper because of that.
Maybe we can unload Kasperaitis on them in return who knows. Like Kasper and a player. The point is the more the contract the cheaper the player. Also the older the player the cheaper the player. I know Federov hasn't been his former self in Aneheim and Columbus but he played with Shanahan before which is why I want him. If he didn't then I would probably pass too.
If he could be had for Kaspar and a guy like Hossa then do it. But then we'd wake up and realize that reality just set in and that he'd cost a lot more than that.

Old
02-01-2007, 02:12 PM
ebn

Quote:
If he could be had for Kaspar and a guy like Hossa then do it. But then we'd wake up and realize that reality just set in and that he'd cost a lot more than that.
Hey who knows if Columbus wants to unload some money and get a prospect or a descent young player in return we might get lucky.

Old
02-01-2007, 02:17 PM
clmetsfan

The other side of this is that taking on Federov's contract would seriously hamper any attempts we make next year at signing one of the legitimate scorers or playmakers that are available like Drury or Gomez.

Old
02-01-2007, 03:03 PM
ebn

Quote:
The other side of this is that taking on Federov's contract would seriously hamper any attempts we make next year at signing one of the legitimate scorers or playmakers that are available like Drury or Gomez.
You might be right about that. But the problem with that is this.
Last year I thought the Rangers would go after Chara because they needed a defensemen. Guess what no Chara. He went to Boston. I bet you Gomez and Drury will go to crappy teams with a lot of cap room and lose a lot with them. That seems to be the way it is now. All the good teams seem to get the lesser players because they don't want to give up the players they already have. When Rangers resign all there players they will never have the cap room anyway.

Also there is now way of knowing how Gomez or Drury will do on your team. Sure they did great on other teams that they played a long time for. But you put them on the Rangers and they don't play good. The problem is chemistry. Who is going to play good with who. That's why I brought up Federov. I am not the GM and you guys are not the GM but there has to be chemistry on your lines and right now except for the Nylander Straka Jagr line as always there is no chemistry. We been changing lines all year. That's why I think Federov with Shanahan would do good for this year and next year because they know each other. They played with each other in Detroit. If I am right then Gomez and Drury won't matter because we have a second line of Federov and Shanahan. Once they are done then we go out and sign someone else in the free agent market. There is always going to be a Gomez or a Drury every year. The point is if Federov has chemistry with Shanahan and our GM thinks so then he will try to get him. If not then he will get someone else like a rental. Then maybe you are right he will go after a Gomez or Drury in the free agent market.

Personally I would give Federov a try. The only reason is I think he would be a very good center with Federov. Like I said a million times they played in Detroit.
However, what do I know I am not a GM or a professional hochey evaluator.

Old
02-01-2007, 03:09 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
You might be right about that. But the problem with that is this.
Last year I thought the Rangers would go after Chara because they needed a defensemen. Guess what no Chara. He went to Boston. I bet you Gomez and Drury will go to crappy teams with a lot of cap room and lose a lot with them. That seems to be the way it is now. All the good teams seem to get the lesser players because they don't want to give up the players they already have. When Rangers resign all there players they will never have the cap room anyway.

Also there is now way of knowing how Gomez or Drury will do on your team. Sure they did great on other teams that they played a long time for. But you put them on the Rangers and they don't play good. The problem is chemistry. Who is going to play good with who. That's why I brought up Federov. I am not the GM and you guys are not the GM but there has to be chemistry on your lines and right now except for the Nylander Straka Jagr line as always there is no chemistry. We been changing lines all year. That's why I think Federov with Shanahan would do good for this year and next year because they know each other. They played with each other in Detroit. If I am right then Gomez and Drury won't matter because we have a second line of Federov and Shanahan. Once they are done then we go out and sign someone else in the free agent market. There is always going to be a Gomez or a Drury every year. The point is if Federov has chemistry with Shanahan and our GM thinks so then he will try to get him. If not then he will get someone else like a rental. Then maybe you are right he will go after a Gomez or Drury in the free agent market.

Personally I would give Federov a try. The only reason is I think he would be a very good center with Federov. Like I said a million times they played in Detroit.
However, what do I know I am not a GM or a professional hochey evaluator.
I see where you're coming from, but I think you're overvaluing the chemistry that you think Federov and Shanny will haev together.

I'd much rather sign a younger stud like Drury (who has never played more than 4 years with a team and been successful at all three stops) and bet that he'll be successful than trade for an aging, declining, and expensive former star who we'll be saddled with for a long time because he has chemistry with a guy who might not even be back next year.

Old
02-01-2007, 03:12 PM
JRGNYR

What do I think? He's old, overpaid, and his best years are behind him.

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 10:03 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Can find many guys better than him. Too old and washed up...

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote