HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Case for Trading Mats Sundin.

Old
01-31-2007, 01:38 PM
VisionQuest*

vCash: 500
The Case for Trading Mats Sundin.

Unfortunately, I don't see it happening. To me though, this would pretty much be the best rental situation possible for the Rangers. He's a captain, but he's also a smart guy, and I think he could take a backseat/shared seat in the leadership role for the greater good if it meant a shot at an engraving.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ott&id=2749290

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 01:54 PM
IanB

Doubt it'll happen as long as the Rangers are serious about considering the long term consequences of a deal like this. The price for Sundin will be far too high for the Rangers to afford.

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 01:57 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Two things.

1. There would be mutiny in Toronto. The fans ADORE Sundin, as he has been the face of the franchise for the last 10 or so years.

2. The price will be WAY TOO HIGH for the Rangers. You guys want to give up Callahan, Staal, and a 1st? Or Prucha, Dubinsky, Dawes, and pick?

Sundin is still a point per game player, and is good at both ends of the rink. He's not going anywhere. I don't think he'd leave Toronto if he wanted to.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 01:59 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Nice try by Burnside but the Leafs want to re-sign Sundin this summer.Toronto has a team option for 07-08but the Leafs want to work out a new deal at a lower price by offering length in return.Mats has a NTC and doesn't want to leave TO

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 02:11 PM
bleedblue94

kinda seems like it would be leetch to tor all over again but in opposite roles.... trade them immo back in a deal ha

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 02:24 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

He will always be a Leaf, and honestly I like that.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 02:29 PM
Fletch

The Leafs...

are tied with the Rangers and playing them tonight. I'm guessing that trading Sundin means giving up on the playoffs and when you're pretty close, the fans in Toronto won't be too happy. I think everybody in this new era is getting hung up on losing players for 'nothing' and trading away guys to restock youth. Sometimes you need to forgoe those trades and try to win.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 02:50 PM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
He will always be a Leaf, and honestly I like that.

Yeah. Despite my idolizing of Francois Dupuy, I gotta say, its pretty cool that he will likely retire a leaf. Dying breed of players right there.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 02:55 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

we'd have to overpay like crazy for Mats. More so than Forsberg. Mats hasn't any question marks about what we'd be getting. Pass.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 03:17 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
we'd have to overpay like crazy for Mats. More so than Forsberg. Mats hasn't any question marks about what we'd be getting. Pass.
and thats the whole point ... to get a player like that we need to be ready to give up assets .... if we are not prepared to do that then we shouldnt be complaining about the players we have and the lack of a 2nd line center.... nor should we complain when we end up trading for a second rate center bc we didnt want to give up players

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 03:25 PM
shoothepuck

A case could be made, but Toronto won't trade him.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 06:23 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

I take Forsberg before I take him

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Canadian89

Toronto has made it obvious that Sundin is not going to be traded. They have actually stated that he would be signed by now if it wasnt for his option year (they're trying to work things out with the nhl or something).

Also, Sundin has made it quite clear that he's not leaving. He has a no trade clause & I doubt he'd waive it.
Someone on RSN was saying that the "insides" have said that Sundin has said that he either wins with the leafs or goes down. & Right now his loyaltly to the leafs is first.
I don't know if this is true though.

Canadian89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Canadian89

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
I take Forsberg before I take him
Why?
Forsberg is injury prone, & you don't know what you'll be getting from him.
Sundin brings the same thing year after year. & isnt injury prone.

Old
02-01-2007, 11:56 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Sundin is to over 90% certainty going to retire after this season. I know this as a fact. The only team he may consider going to is Detroit - but The Leafs want very much for him. He will therefore (most probably) honorably retire as a Leaf with no SC ring - but an Olympics Gold Medal as team Captain.

He would have been an excellent Center rental imo if the Rangers were real contenders - highly motivated to close his career in NYC with a title (a la Bourque) = but this is just not going to happen.

Sorry

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Canadian89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Sundin is to over 90% certainty going to retire after this season. I know this as a fact. The only team he may consider going to is Detroit - but The Leafs want very much for him. He will therefore (most probably) honorably retire as a Leaf with no SC ring - but an Olympics Gold Medal as team Captain.

He would have been an excellent Center rental imo if the Rangers were real contenders - highly motivated to close his career in NYC with a title (a la Bourque) = but this is just not going to happen.

Sorry
How do you know that Sundin is going to be retiring?
He was asked about this in an interview & seemed pretty mad. He said he's still some years in him.
It's not like his ability to play has been decreasing, he's still putting up the same points as always.
And he wouldnt be trying to get a contract done with the Leafs if he was planning on retiring.

Old
02-01-2007, 12:30 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian89 View Post
How do you know that Sundin is going to be retiring?
He was asked about this in an interview & seemed pretty mad. He said he's still some years in him.
It's not like his ability to play has been decreasing, he's still putting up the same points as always.
And he wouldnt be trying to get a contract done with the Leafs if he was planning on retiring.
He wants to retire on a good note = preferabely with Toronto. His contract discussions are more a courtesy to the Toronto organisation than anything. That he still remains loyal to The Leafs - despite the meager quality of linemates he has through large portions of his career here been supplied with - is a suggestion of what a class character he reaLLY IS.
Mats is a real POISED AND PROFESSIONAL guy and never made his frustration about this sad fact a public message - but his personal thoughts and reflections on this issue are another. How do I know this? Let's just say I personally am connected to someone that knows Mats very well and spends lots of time with him " down by the river".

But - people do change their minds. Only time will tell...

Old
02-01-2007, 01:03 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
He wants to retire on a good note = preferabely with Toronto. His contract discussions are more a courtesy to the Toronto organisation than anything. That he still remains loyal to The Leafs - despite the meager quality of linemates he has through large portions of his career here been supplied with - is a suggestion of what a class character he reaLLY IS.
Mats is a real POISED AND PROFESSIONAL guy and never made his frustration about this sad fact a public message - but his personal thoughts and reflections on this issue are another. How do I know this? Let's just say I personally am connected to someone that knows Mats very well and spends lots of time with him " down by the river".

But - people do change their minds. Only time will tell...
Neil Young told you?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:51 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian89 View Post
Why?
Forsberg is injury prone, & you don't know what you'll be getting from him.
Sundin brings the same thing year after year. & isnt injury prone.
Fair enough...I just love Forsberg and think he is the best player in the game and I do think he's better than Sundin. Also...in all honesty it'll be much easier to get him than Sundin or at least he's alot more acquirable

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 09:19 PM
blandBob

Sundin is total quality, but no way the Leafs let him go, Toronto fans hold him sacred. I just love Forsberg, I don't know about his foot problem but if he get's healthy enough to do what he expects of himself, that guy elevates whatever team he's on. Talent with a mean streak, perfect for a run to the playoffs.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 09:51 PM
In The Flesh

NO need to get Sundin or Forsberg

Both are very costly, trades that will haunt us. Both will be rentals, no doubt, and I don't see this team even with one of them going that far.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 05:52 AM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Neil Young told you?
He did indeed

Old