HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Lang Collapse

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2004, 01:40 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
The Lang Collapse

Many have commented that Robert Lang has no shot of continuing at his first half pace and will not come close to winning the scoring title. Those people and others have added that with Jagr gone, Lang will quickly fade.

I thought I would post a quick update. Lang has a point in each of the 3 post Jagr Capitals games for a total of 4. All of this with Gonchar out of the lineup as well.

The Capitals finish the season with more than two-thirds of its games against the worst teams in the NHL. The only thing that will mess him up are trades.

Old
01-30-2004, 01:56 PM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
Many have commented that Robert Lang has no shot of continuing at his first half pace and will not come close to winning the scoring title. Those people and others have added that with Jagr gone, Lang will quickly fade.

I thought I would post a quick update. Lang has a point in each of the 3 post Jagr Capitals games for a total of 4. All of this with Gonchar out of the lineup as well.

The Capitals finish the season with more than two-thirds of its games against the worst teams in the NHL. The only thing that will mess him up are trades.
Wish it was actually accounting for something...too bad gonchar is out for a month, we might've had a chance at having the top scoring foward and dmen

Old
01-30-2004, 02:10 PM
txpd

it is accounting for something. the hanlon area is better than the cassidy era. the post jagr era is better than the jagr era(this year). Its my hope that the Capitals do the right thing and find a way to keep Robert Lang. He has found that he is the top player that he always knew he could be given the chance.

He has been clutch. He started the play on the winning goal last night. Robert Lang is the unprima donna. Smart salary capsmenship is about maneuvering money to keep top players and acquire the right mix of players from the open market while growing some pieces for the puzzle at home.

Lang, Bondra and Gonchar are a core of players that set a good example for new players both young and established. They form an elite power play unit and are all universally loved in the room. Lang accepts the responsibility of his ice time, Gonchar is willing to play a brutal 30:00 a night game after game, and Bondra is willing to skate on the checking line.

They are 3 contracts of issue. Lang has 3 years left at $5m a year, Gonchar is an RFA looking for a raise from $3.65, and Bondra has a club option at $4.5m. These contracts can all be manipulated by a good capmaster to give the team both a foundation to build on and space under the cap to build a team from all the available parts that will be on the market.

Is McPhee a good capmaster? we will see.

Old
01-30-2004, 02:49 PM
jincargo

I agree about keeping Lang....Its not like he's not earning his 5 million a year. He's the only scoring center we have in the entire system at this point and he's starting to prove he can score without the other big names to help him along (Although I think him and Carter are really starting to gel together...somewhat big name). The guy is reliable and consistant...and is becoming a silent leader of this team.

Yes I know the Caps want to rebuild and start from scratch...but I think it wouldnt be the best idea for the dwindling fan base to trade this guy right now. If anything....GMGM will wait for the absolute best offfer to deal him.

Personally...Id rather ship out Kolzig and Bondra before Lang.

Old
01-30-2004, 04:04 PM
Mizral

While I'm of the belief the Caps must shed even more salary, if there's any one player I would keep over the rest of Bondra, Kolzig, Gonchar, and Lang, it's Robert. The rest can go.

That said, I don't think anyone is thinking he'll collapse, just that he'll slow down. From the all-star break on, checking gets tighter, and that is where Lang has his difficulties. Lang is still a fine player, but I'm sure Caps fans themselves even agree that Lang, while a nice offensive player, does have his limitations as a player.

I would say Lang should quite easily knock down 80 points, but I don't know about 90.

Old
01-30-2004, 04:30 PM
jincargo

I read somewhere that Jason LaCanfora (Washington Post) seems to think the Caps are leaning towards keeping Gonchar and Lang. Here it is...from the Caps Message Board.

Quote:
On WFAN (Rangers broadcast) during the second intermission talked about the Leonsis incident then was asked about the following specific players and possible trades. Below is what he said about each player.

Gonchar--Does not expect a trade because he is the best defenseman in the organization.

Lang--Does not expect a trade because he is the most creative and productive center in the "entire" organization.

Bondra--Expects a trade as a rented player then resign before the lockout ends or at least before the next season begins. He did not mention any teams to which he may be traded.

Kolzig--Expects a trade most probably to Philadelphia. Did not specify how soon.
As mush as everyone wants to think they are going to sell off the stars of the team....I doubt its going to happen. Bondra and Kolzig maybe...but thats about it. The assumption to me was they would not be able to trade Jagr and have to deal with subracting the other salaries...but with Jagr gone its eases the situation a bit.

Plus if they have a strong second half with the team as it is...only one or two will be moved to bring that Cap number down.

Another note....I really hope they keep Carter. Maybe not for the qualifing figure...but for a lower salary...maybe 1.8 Mill a year or so.

Old
01-30-2004, 05:03 PM
Afino
The Juice

How much longer is Gonchar out?? Have him on fantasy...

Old
01-30-2004, 05:09 PM
txpd

the capitals appear to already be in cap management mode. they are working with the agents and the players to find out which want to stay. what they are willing to do to stay and what they want from the team. Kolzig doesnt want a long rebuild and wants gonchar and witt to stay. Kolzig would defer money for that.
lang might defer and sign an extention. Bondra has said publically that he wants to stay thru til the end. that suggests a much lower contract.

how much money they can save with good contract moves, is hard to say.
and it will be interesting to watch

Closed Thread