HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jarkko Immonen

Old
02-01-2007, 01:09 PM
dave4

vCash: 500
Jarkko Immonen

When did we decide this guy is no longer a top prospect? I don't mean 'we' as in absolutely everyone, of course, but looking at the threads regarding potential number two centers we can trade for, Immonen's name comes up a lot.

A lot of people here are saying thing like 'I wouldn't trade our gems like Staal or Dubinsky, but I'd part with Immonen and a second round pick'. I honestly have no clue if this guy is going to make it or not, all I know about him is what I read on this site. I thought he looked OK in the Fall, not great and not horrible.

I thought we were picking up and playing guys like Jason Krog because Immonen isn't ready yet. Is it because he's no longer a top prospect?

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Edge

I think a lot of people kind of viewed training camp as his time to make his mark.

Personally I think the Rangers did as well and that's why they left a center spot open that has haunted them ever since.

I think when he didn't particularly stand out (he wasn't horrible) is when opinions started to change.

After that there was a severe slump in Hartford where the thought was that at his age he should be one of the guys taking charge and turning that around.

The thing with Immonen seems to be that he isn't particularly bad in any area of the game, but he also doesn't seem to be particularly good either. He's just kind of "there" so to speak.

At 24, going on 25 it probably doesn't translate into a second line NHL center. The question now is whether he can become a third liner.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

He's one of our older prospects who hasn't exactly set the world on fire. I think we're all a bit too hopeful on some of the shiny newer prospects, most fans usually are. I still like Immonen, but wouldn't be too upset if he was traded for better, hopefully younger, assets. And I think he will be, cause he didn't come over just to play in the AHL.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:33 PM
SML

Don't worry, we'll call him up when he's 30 like Jason Krog.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 02:19 PM
OleOleOleOleBureBure

he should be up here Centering the 2nd line until they find other help. he is still better than Betts. I just dont get this, how betts plays on the 2nd line and Jarko is int he minors.

OleOleOleOleBureBure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 02:24 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Renney always mentions Immonen not being able to keep up with the "pace" of the NHL game

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 03:17 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I guess the question is when was Immonen ever a top prospect. He wasn't a top prospect in a thin Leafs organization when he was acquired.

02-01-2007, 03:42 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Renney always mentions Immonen not being able to keep up with the "pace" of the NHL game
like Colton Orr can when he plays every few games, or Malik on defense for that matter. If he wants to say that, then he should say the same thing about the slow skaters on this team: Malik, Hall, Orr

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 03:44 PM
hlundqvist30*

I personally am not a fan of Jarkko. I think he definitely be on the team over the likes of Orr, Ward, etc., but to say he will be a #2 center is looking like an unlikely situation.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 03:48 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
I personally am not a fan of Jarkko. I think he definitely be on the team over the likes of Orr, Ward, etc., but to say he will be a #2 center is looking like an unlikely situation.
The question is:

Is he a better alternative to Betts or Krog as Shanahan's center?

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Fletch

He is, klingsor...

at least in my opinion, and at least from what I saw in limited action. It's not ideal. It may not even be good. But it's better, at least in my opinion, and at least based on what I saw in his limited action.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 04:52 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
No doubt he should be up on the 2nd line because as others have said he's just a solid player, unspectacular but he knows the game and I feel he's a hell of a lot better on line 2 than Jason f'in Krog or Blair Betts.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 05:31 PM
hlundqvist30*

Agreed. Immonen couldn't possibly do worse than what we have, but I'm not going to sit here and call Immonen the answer to our problem at C. Not by a longshot.

Old
02-01-2007, 09:27 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Well I didn't like his game much either although he is better than Krog. However...I think it's Dubinsky time

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 09:37 PM
JamesG1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Don't worry, we'll call him up when he's 30 like Jason Krog.

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 09:39 PM
In The Flesh

Imo should be in the lineup no doubt, as far as the future, I'm not sure on him.

Right now it should be this down the middle, not Krog.

Nylander
Imo
Cullen
Betts

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 09:40 PM
JamesG1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Agreed. Immonen couldn't possibly do worse than what we have, but I'm not going to sit here and call Immonen the answer to our problem at C. Not by a longshot.

The only glaring stat Immonen has to his credit is the fact that he wins a ton of faceoffs. You can't go wrong with a guy like that. And really he has a descent all around game. If he got to play 20-25 games straight It's my opinion that he'd put up more points then the likes of a Krog...

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 09:50 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG1221 View Post
The only glaring stat Immonen has to his credit is the fact that he wins a ton of faceoffs. You can't go wrong with a guy like that. And really he has a descent all around game. If he got to play 20-25 games straight It's my opinion that he'd put up more points then the likes of a Krog...
I completely agree. My point is that the I don't think Immo will be that #2 center scoring 20 goals a year and feeding the puck to the wingers we at first thought. At this point I think he will be a #3 center in the long run.

Old
02-02-2007, 09:29 AM
94now

Shanahan being very good himself did not, however, make anyone around him better. So Immonen fell the same victim Prucha once was.
Placing Shanahan on 3rd line with Betts opened an opportunity for Prucha, so now it's time to see if Immonen would be effected the same way. The fact the Rangers do not call him up suggest they plan to acquire 2C soon or Shoenfield needs him in Hartford or both.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Personally I think when the Rangers make a move this year, he will be part of the package IMO.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 08:16 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Yaeh, and then you hear we are interested in that speedster, Yannic Perreault! Couldn't we have signed him for nothing?

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 08:24 PM
AXN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Yaeh, and then you hear we are interested in that speedster, Yannic Perreault! Couldn't we have signed him for nothing?
Big mistake not going for him.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 08:59 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Yeah well, Perreault is very good faceoff man, whereas Immonen's a very good faceoff man.

Nevermind.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 09:23 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Immonen should be given a shot, a real shot, not another cup of coffee. He should have been given 20 games to do a solid assessment of his ability to play in the NHL.
Now I think he will be moved and the organization will be surprised at how he performs.

Immonen with Shannahan on the LW, Hossa on the RW. You will give Shannahan the passing centerman he needs, while Hossa will dig in the corners.

Cullen, with Orts on the RW, Prucha on the LW

Nylander, Jagr and Straka

Betts, Hall/Ward and Hollweg

This should have been done monthjs ago.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Taz

I have seen Immonen a bit in Hartford and in a few NHL games, he never ever stands out for me but he makes nice neat and tidy plays and wins loads of face offs. That is his game he likes to just do a short pass to let a guy get a shot off, he stands in front of the net and looks for tips also. I never noticed him being slow at all, but he isnt really a 2nd line center and it would be nice if they would play him over people like Krog or even Betts due to the fact he is better offensively.

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote