HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Messier-Future Rangers GM?

Old
01-28-2007, 05:54 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Mark Messier-Future Rangers GM?

From the Edmonton Journal

Quote:
Messier, who turned 46 on Jan. 18, is prepared to do the same, jumping into the management game, probably with the Rangers. He's seen contemporaries like Al MacInnis (St. Louis), Steve Yzerman (Detroit) and Ron Francis (Carolina) getting their feet wet already. He's seen the potential Hall of Famers dive into the scouting and learning-the-ropes parts of the job. He might want that challenge, too. He has some role models in buddy Kevin Lowe in Edmonton, Glen Sather in New York and John Muckler in Ottawa. He has talked to Sather about getting involved in management, now that he's been away from the game for a couple of years.

"It's a lot of work, but it's very interesting, trying to pull a team together. I like that aspect. It's almost like playing chess and I love that game, all the references to war," said Messier. "I'd love to assemble a team on the ice."
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...f5e926eeb8&p=1

There is also some info about Lyon Messier going to play NCAA college hockey

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:55 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Would love it! Seriously, who wouldnt

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:00 PM
TrueBlue4life

Send a message via AIM to TrueBlue4life
that would be so awesome!

TrueBlue4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:04 PM
shoothepuck

Step aside Sather.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

It would be cool to have Messier involved in the organization, even if it wasnt a GM job.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 07:29 PM
GarretJoseph*

Messier's first moves would prob be Gretzky as head coach, Leetch as Assistant GM, Graves as Assistant coach & Richter as goalie coach.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 07:29 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Who names their kid Lyon? Honestly.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 05:49 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

More about Messier as GM in future.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=194221&hubname=nhl

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 09:09 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Sorry, but until he proves his accumen for the job, I don't want any part of him as GM of thsi franchise.

A big-time pass from me.

Go and become an Asst. Coach or something (again not here in NY) and earn your stripes. Do that with success and then I may start looking at you as a potential Asst. GM again not here in NY

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
Who names their kid Lyon? Honestly.
I agree, WHO DOES THAT!?!

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 09:32 PM
The Thomas J.*

Charles Wang did it with Garth Snow. Not saying I agree with it, but it does happen.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 12:40 AM
Yizee*

are you guys complete idiots saying that having Messie back would be awesome? Messier was a good hockey player in the 80's and early 90's maybe but then he latched on to our team sucking the life out of it and keeping us from enjoying good hockey until finally last year when he was finally off the team and we made the playoffs - if this moron comes back you can guarantee we will be a crappy team again

Yizee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 02:00 AM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Sorry, but until he proves his accumen for the job, I don't want any part of him as GM of thsi franchise.

A big-time pass from me.

Go and become an Asst. Coach or something (again not here in NY) and earn your stripes. Do that with success and then I may start looking at you as a potential Asst. GM again not here in NY
St. Louis could be a good place to take an assistant GM job for him, learning under JD.

Alternately, Hartford or Charlotte.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 02:15 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yizee View Post
Messier was a good hockey player in the 80's and early 90's maybe....

...if this moron comes back...

Let me guess: born in the 1990s?

One supposes a persuasive case can be made against Mark Messier becoming NYR's GM anytime in the near future.

However, to suggest that he was "maybe" a "good" player...and to refer to the guy who is the #1 reason it is not 67 years and counting of no Cups in Manhattan as a "moron"...is the height of absurdity and disrespect (not to mention utter lack of appreciation of the not-so-distance past), especially coming from an NYR fan.

Sorry, but that's my opinion, as a hockey fan. Geez, talk about a "born yesterday" perspective.

Last edited by Trottier: 01-31-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Trottier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 07:56 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

A big-time pass from me.

I agree 100%. We all love Messier. That said, there is nothing that indicates he can do the job. And I don't think that I want him learning on he job here.

01-31-2007, 07:56 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Deville View Post
Charles Wang did it with Garth Snow. Not saying I agree with it, but it does happen.
No disrespect to Snow because he's not been able to put his fingerprints on the team the way he probably would like to, but there's no way in hell he should have that job and after the debacle of the Neil Smith highing and subsequent release there weren't going to be many folks jumping at that opportunity. Snow took the job and it's been an on the job training stint for him ever since.

Let's also not forget that that situation is a committee and that ultimately, the decision is not Snow's, it's Wang's.

Will Snow be a good GM in the long-run, I could see it happening, I could also see Mess becoming a solid GM as well, but it would be silly to think that these two guys would be anything more than less than medicore in their first run as GM's when never having any other management experience in their life prior to that.

It's not a good thing, and as fragile as this franchise is right now, I do not want him here in that capacity.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 07:57 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Deville View Post
Reason enough for me to do the exact opposite. The hierarchy on the Island is a mess. The former GM is still around.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:01 AM
Levitate

Messier as GM scares me. Mainly because there's no way to tell how good he'd be...he's a forecful personality and wants things his way, but if he doesn't have some saavy when it comes to managing, that's a recipe for disaster.

Managing for several years on a smaller scale and working his way up is one thing...tossed right in after a few years of being out of hockey is another.

I wouldn't want to see him as a GM anywhere until he's had at least 5 years of experience with management

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 06:14 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

It is inevitable that Mark Messier will be part of the Rangers management team.He won't be the GM right off the bat but will learn the different aspects of being a NHL executive just like Al MacInnis and Steve Yzerman are doing right now

Old
02-01-2007, 09:21 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post

One supposes a persuasive case can be made against Mark Messier becoming NYR's GM anytime in the near future.

However, to suggest that he was "maybe" a "good" player...and to refer to the guy who is the #1 reason it is not 67 years and counting of no Cups in Manhattan as a "moron"...is the height of absurdity and disrespect (not to mention utter lack of appreciation of the not-so-distance past), especially coming from an NYR fan.

Sorry, but that's my opinion, as a hockey fan. Geez, talk about a "born yesterday" perspective.

Quote:

A big-time pass from me.

Agreed, pld. This franchise needs direction from proven talent evaluators and savvy front office types. I love Mess, but he's totally inexperienced and not the ideal candidate for a job here.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Kevin Lowe jumped from player to coach to GM pretty quickly, so I there is some precedent.

Besides, RangerBoy is absolutely right. Reading this article, it doesn't say anything about Messier becoming GM, it says "getting involved in management". That is to say: Messier will start off in some scouting or assistant position as he learns the ropes. He has to start somewhere, and the Rangers would be a logical place.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 03:07 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Kevin Lowe jumped from player to coach to GM pretty quickly, so I there is some precedent.

Besides, RangerBoy is absolutely right. Reading this article, it doesn't say anything about Messier becoming GM, it says "getting involved in management". That is to say: Messier will start off in some scouting or assistant position as he learns the ropes. He has to start somewhere, and the Rangers would be a logical place.
Steve Yzerman's title in Vice President.He is learning the ropes.Yzerman attended the WJC's in Sweden scouting the various players in that tourny.Al MacInnis is the Blues VP of Hockey Operations and he scouted the Blues prospects recently-Erik Johnson and TJ Oshie.The Red Wings have Jim Devallano,Kenny Holland,Jim Nill and Yzerman.The Rangers would have Glen Sather,Don Maloney,Messier and Tom Renney(who will be part of the Rangers even if he isn't coaching)

Old
02-01-2007, 03:28 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

I am surprised the Captain does not want to coach. I figured with his leadership ability and his demeanor in the dressing room, he'd make a good coach...those are ofcourse skills that could be helpful in constructing a team as well...

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 03:32 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
I am surprised the Captain does not want to coach. I figured with his leadership ability and his demeanor in the dressing room, he'd make a good coach...those are ofcourse skills that could be helpful in constructing a team as well...
Coaching doesn't allow for daily trips to the golf course

One of the few times the NHL finals made the cover of SI over the NBA finals

Old
02-01-2007, 03:34 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post

thats the same tool that bashes the city of new york for no reason every chance he gets, he's just a troll and a fool that doesn't deserve the attention we just gave him

he won't even be back to respond to your points

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote