HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We Should Become Sellers!!!

Old
02-01-2007, 11:52 AM
J-Dawg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
No, Nylander and Straka are plenty enough talent for Jagr. That's why all three are in the top 20 in scoring. But when you only have one scoring line, it's not hard for the opposing teams to focus almost exclusively on shutting them down because they don't have to worry about anyone else.

J-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:14 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dawg View Post
They sure have done a lot lately.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
One thing that did disturb me, and is indicative of the Rangers is: Pock made a bad read and was beaten badly on the Sundin goal. That was the last time he saw the ice. Is this how a young D learns? Is this how he can internalize his mistake, go out on the ice and correct it? Is this how he is rewarded for all the improvement he has shown lately? Benching him will certainly not help his confidence. Here, in a nutshell is a major part of the Ranger problem and why we will never have a young core of players we can suppliment with older free agent vets and be a legit Cup contender.
Yeah, he missed out on all that icetime he wouldve gotten in the last 10 minutes of the game.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:25 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
They sure have done a lot lately.

First of all, Jagr is the only one of the three whose production took a real dip in January.

And even if they were all slumping, you're taking a month-long slump to mean that they'll never reach their former production again, even though their careers have been completely revived over the past year and a half in NY.

Talk about an overreaction.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Stoney La Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
I'll weigh in with my two cents. Since the beginning of the year I thought the team was terribly flawed. The team has a mediocre defense and two or three legitimate scoring threats, Jagr, Shanny, Straka and pehaps Prucha. The team does have an elite goalie and very fine defensive prospects in Staal, Sauer, Baranka Sangunetti to go along with Tyutin, and perhaps Girardi.Regrettably, Jagr and company will not be around when this team can legitimately compete. As I've stated many times, slipping into the playoffs to be immediately eliminated is not the goal. Building a team to legitimately compete each year is the goal. Therefore, I would be courageous and look to trade Jagr, Shanny, Nylander and Straka. Just as many posters have stated they would be buyers for the right price, I would be a seller for the right price. I go back to when I first watched the Rangers and fell in love with Andy Bathgate. He was yesterday's Jagr. The Rangers finally traded him to Toronto for a bevy of prospects. It helped to accelerate the team to respectability. The team should bite the bullet and try to obtain some young top six forward prospects to really have a foundation ON WHICH TO BUILD. Pitts burgh and Washington will be way ahead of us for the next five years if we do not change the mode of operation. Rebuttals please
No rebuttals here. Brilliant post, absolutely. Last year's team, even with the playoff implosion, at least made some sense. This year's team is like one of those mismatched quilts where odd pieces are added just because they're available. What happened to the rebuild that we were all counting on? Pittsburgh is the perfect example. No one's freaking out because a lot of the guys are young - instead, they're actually getting ice time and experience! The Rangers need to pick a plan and stick with it -- and hopefully they'll choose to get back on track with the rebuild. A real rebuild, instead of a house of cards.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:49 PM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipsydoodle View Post
No rebuttals here. Brilliant post, absolutely. Last year's team, even with the playoff implosion, at least made some sense. This year's team is like one of those mismatched quilts where odd pieces are added just because they're available. What happened to the rebuild that we were all counting on? Pittsburgh is the perfect example. No one's freaking out because a lot of the guys are young - instead, they're actually getting ice time and experience! The Rangers need to pick a plan and stick with it -- and hopefully they'll choose to get back on track with the rebuild. A real rebuild, instead of a house of cards.
What he said...bathgate too. The way we're going we'll still be having this same conversation, regarding different players, in five years.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
What he said...bathgate too. The way we're going we'll still be having this same conversation, regarding different players, in five years.
I said that 5 years ago.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:34 PM
JamesG1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
In order to be a seller you must have something that others want to buy.

See, when I spoke up at the beginning of this thread that's basically what I had on my mind. Never meant to imply anything about a firesale or ridding this team of anyone who's an asset. I just think there is a fair amount of dead weight that needs to be cut in the offseason and that atleast some of it should be replaced by guys that are in our system. What they are using as of right now just isn't good enough to say that getting the likes of Keith Tkachuk for say a Dubinsky or an Immonen is going to make this team contend for a Cup..I for one would rather see them hold on to some youth, use it, and build a team from there rather then just attempting to nail down a 7th or 8th seed this year at any expense..

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:45 PM
JamesG1221

Know why they didn't stick with the plan THIS time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipsydoodle View Post

It's my opinion that atleast part of the reason they are straying is because just maybe it got to the point around the time of the fire sale that they thought they were at an all time low point without another choice but to rebuild from scratch. Then BOOM! Suddenly they're a team again, a fun team with character and chemistry, Jagr has a great season setting records,the "30th ranked team by SI" almost takes the Atlantic title, you got fans in the seats, Bobby Granger running around, season ticket plans and luxury boxes being sold, and the team is a big deal again after just one winning season. Suddenly the money and the possibilities of what can happen if you simply make the playoffs is fresh in everyone's heads again and here they are scrounging at all costs to compete now and make the playoffs right now etc etc. They make the playoffs this year and ticket prices go up again and the demand probably still climbs and it's more money in a ton of pockets..Sometimes I just think that as long as they can be dubbed "a playoff team" Dolan really doesn't care what kind of team is on the ice..and even if I'm out of line with this type of thinking, I'm sure it's at least a little bit on target..

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 02:14 PM
bubba5

Quote:
First of all, Jagr is the only one of the three whose production took a real dip in January.

And even if they were all slumping, you're taking a month-long slump to mean that they'll never reach their former production again, even though their careers have been completely revived over the past year and a half in NY.

Talk about an overreaction.
Hope to see ya in the playoffs...

Old
02-01-2007, 02:16 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Hope to see ya in the playoffs...
Probably not this year, but why not next year if we can add a guy like Drury?

Old
02-01-2007, 02:28 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkich96 View Post
I am die hard ranger fan but watching the Rangers this year shows me that despite how much our managment has vowed to rebuild, it's all been a bunch of BS... Look at Pittsburgh or Washington and that is what I would classify a true rebuild and that is exactly not what we are doing. The odds are we are definitly not going to make the playoffs or even if we do we will not go far, thus sell all our crap by the time of the deadline and allow the kids to play. Including Jessman and the like... and maybe we will have a good team in a few years... I don't know about you, but I much rather watch kids who are trying and skating rather than vets who are lazy bums.
You're completely lost on this. Is it an ideal situation for youth......no, but there are several players over the last season and a half since the lockout, who are with the big club now contributing, which couldn't be said prior to 04 except for the occasional call up. Re building and staying competitive is a delicate balance, especially in NY. I don't want to hear that Prucha and Lundy aren't really guys from within either like some try to state. They did alot of their seasoning in Europe, but they were Ranger picks none the less. Look at this roster and tell me when the last time was that the Rangers had that much in house personnel as opposed to picking up NHL vets and filling the roster with them. Not that I don't feel some more minor leaguers deserve a chance, but the expectations have been raised due to last season, so you can't expect the management to just say the hell with it we're gonna go with organizational youth for 90% of the roster

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 03:33 PM
The Thomas J.*

I have to say something has been lacking all year, and while he may not have been the best player on the ice he was steady and could pass the puck and rack up the helpers. that Player is Steve Rucchin, he really was the captain last year, he was great in the locker room and led by example in the ice. I think its his leadership we miss the most. I was all for them resigning him last year, they messed up by letting him go.
he would have complimented Shanny. Lets us not forget Rucchin was the lone goal scorer for the rangers in game 4 of the playoffs last year. not that its relevant, i just thought Id add it to remind people.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 03:33 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The salary cap will prevent the kind of firesale the Rangers had three years ago

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 04:28 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Probably not this year, but why not next year if we can add a guy like Drury?
hahahaha, thats funny, good luck with the old men

Old
02-01-2007, 04:56 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
hahahaha, thats funny, good luck with the old men
The "old men" are playing about as well as they ever have this year. So thanks. I guess.

Old
02-01-2007, 05:05 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i am saying that half of our fans are idiots.....
That's a lot lower percentage than voted in the last Presidential election.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 05:12 PM
dccuse

perhaps

Maybe being sellers isn't such a terrible idea.
Who would we really be unloading?
Not:
Jagr, Straka, Nylander, Shanahan, prucha, cullen, ortmeyer, hollweg, Hossa, Tyutin, Roszival,

Maybe:
Ward, Hall, Orr, Betts, Malik, A. Ward, Rachunek,

Hope not but maybe: Pock, Girardi

Now by becoming sellers given these expectations we actually set ourselves up nicely. We may only acquire marginal (3rd, 4th, 5th rounders) draft picks, however, that may be a gift in disguise. Afterall, it doesn't take much to trade up a few spots in the draft, especially come 2nd round. If we have a few extra picks to throw around and grab someone that Maloney and crew like, well then DO IT!!!!

Also, without these guys, the dynamics of our team do not change too much at all that would put us in a far worse spot than we are. And maybe the young guys we call up could provide a little energy boost that would propel us past this battle for 9th that we're currently in while at the same time allowing us to decide now what are holes are for next year instead of aimlessly going out and sign the ward's and cullens of the world. ALSO, means that there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to get a guy like forsberg thus securing our "W.I.P." prospects.

For those reasons, i say sell. Worse case we clear some cap space, move up a couple spots, and identify our weaknesses for next year.

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
This coming from a guy who had this to say the other day...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=336845

lol
haha. well i was just frustrated that day. i didnt start yelling for a fire sale being in a playoff hunt...just that renney get his head out of his a$$

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 05:35 PM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
Maybe being sellers isn't such a terrible idea.
Who would we really be unloading?
Not:
Jagr, Straka, Nylander, Shanahan, prucha, cullen, ortmeyer, hollweg, Hossa, Tyutin, Roszival,

Maybe:
Ward, Hall, Orr, Betts, Malik, A. Ward, Rachunek,

Hope not but maybe: Pock, Girardi

Now by becoming sellers given these expectations we actually set ourselves up nicely. We may only acquire marginal (3rd, 4th, 5th rounders) draft picks, however, that may be a gift in disguise. Afterall, it doesn't take much to trade up a few spots in the draft, especially come 2nd round. If we have a few extra picks to throw around and grab someone that Maloney and crew like, well then DO IT!!!!

Also, without these guys, the dynamics of our team do not change too much at all that would put us in a far worse spot than we are. And maybe the young guys we call up could provide a little energy boost that would propel us past this battle for 9th that we're currently in while at the same time allowing us to decide now what are holes are for next year instead of aimlessly going out and sign the ward's and cullens of the world. ALSO, means that there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to get a guy like forsberg thus securing our "W.I.P." prospects.

For those reasons, i say sell. Worse case we clear some cap space, move up a couple spots, and identify our weaknesses for next year.
I agree with this, but about the only untouchables I can think of on the team would be Lundqvist, Prucha, and Tyutin.

Don't jump all over me, I'm not saying we 'dump' Jagr, Shanahan, and everybody else, but if we get blown away by an offer of a great young player we should at least consider it.

Clear up cap space by bringing up some of the kids, go after UFA's like Drury, Datsyuk or Gomez, maybe even take a flyer on a Sakic or a Guerin for a year, like we did with Shanny, IF the price is right. Someone with two healthy feet at least.

Hopefully Staal is able to contribute too, and we come back lean and mean in 2007, ready to kick butt.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
That's a lot lower percentage than voted in the last Presidential election.

so true...so true..

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 06:50 PM
bubba5

Quote:
The "old men" are playing about as well as they ever have this year. So thanks. I guess.
you go ahead and be satisfied with a 2-1 win over the worst team in the league and a 6-1 win over the playoff-less Bruins, I guess that all you need. I guess thats playing well.

Old
02-01-2007, 10:12 PM
blandBob

So, we could be sellers or we could be buyers, but in reality it will be a combination of each unless management decides to just stay pat. The one thing the Rangers often never did well was planning beyond the next 6 to 12 months (Neil Smith, say what you will, knew how to do shorter-term planning). Remember all the fading stars brought in near the end of their careers, e.g. Marcel Dionne, Pat LaFontaine, etc?
In principle, I am not against selling, and I am not against buying. Hope the brass knows what to buy and what to sell. They're hockey experts, right?

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:28 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
you go ahead and be satisfied with a 2-1 win over the worst team in the league and a 6-1 win over the playoff-less Bruins, I guess that all you need. I guess thats playing well.
Are you nuts? When the hell did I ever say that the team was playing well??? Stop putting words in my mouth.

I said that we probably won't make the playoffs this year, but with some really good acquisitions then we could have a shot to become a contender next year. And because of that, we shouldn't sell off our best players just because they're over 30. End of story.

Old
02-02-2007, 09:54 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkich96 View Post
The odds are we are definitly not going to make the playoffs or even if we do we will not go far, thus sell all our crap by the time of the deadline and allow the kids to play. Including Jessman and the like... and maybe we will have a good team in a few years... I don't know about you, but I much rather watch kids who are trying and skating rather than vets who are lazy bums.
I agree. Wont happen. Otherwise they would have kept Ozo and Kaspar around and would have sold Shanny before his value goes down. Rangers are set to be buyers regardless. They gonna push for playoffs also it is plain stupid. Not the first time, not the last one... Hey, there is always a hope that they get through

94now is offline   Reply With Quote