HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gerber

Old
01-31-2007, 10:09 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
IMO, I'd play Gerber in 1/3 games.
I'd go more 1/4 or 1/5, but I definately think he needs to get more games in. I know Murray loves to ride the hot goalie, but he goes overboard a lot.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:25 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
I'd go more 1/4 or 1/5, but I definately think he needs to get more games in. I know Murray loves to ride the hot goalie, but he goes overboard a lot.
8/36 is exactly 1 in every 4.5 games, so you're not currently proposing more games than Murray plays him in............ and Murray injures goalies. He's still the Dusty Baker of hockey, IMO.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:28 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
8/36 is exactly 1 in every 4.5 games, so you're not currently proposing more games than Murray plays him in............ and Murray injures goalies. He's still the Dusty Baker of hockey, IMO.
You're taking into account the early games where Gerber was starting every other game or around that, so your numbers are a little skewed. Lately it's been all Emery, and he needs to get Gerber in there a little more often.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:16 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
You're taking into account the early games where Gerber was starting every other game or around that, so your numbers are a little skewed. Lately it's been all Emery, and he needs to get Gerber in there a little more often.
My numbers are in post #50. 12/17 and 8/36 is pretty descriptive of what has happened since Emery came back from injury.

Since Nov 13. (days apart)
Game 1: 15 days
Game 2: 7
Game 3: 5
Game 4: 4
Game 5: 5
Game 6: 4
Game 7: 15
Game 8: 23

Old
01-31-2007, 11:33 PM
ISensFanI

Gerbar had a good game..yes. But that doesnt mean he is good at all, I say the next game he plays he lets in three bad goals in the 3rd period.

ISensFanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:45 PM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
even as an expensive back-up i realize now he is worth more to the team then as cap space.

say that, i would like to see him getting more of a work load, even if it is only against the bottem teams in the league. let's keep the rust off, eh.

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 02:45 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISensFanI View Post
Gerbar had a good game..yes. But that doesnt mean he is good at all, I say the next game he plays he lets in three bad goals in the 3rd period.
Is this some kind of hunch? Gerber has been putting up wins in the few games he has played, and I really want to see him do well. It would be GREAT to have two goalies playing great, if Gerber gets back to the goalie form he had last year, were in a great situation with him and Emery together.

vs. the Caps I thought he played really well but sometimes it seems he still may lack confidence because he went into the b-fly too early a couple of times it seemed to me. I know whenever I lack confidence I play deeper and B-fly too early, and I've heard that a lot of goalies do this as well. Hopefully he starts controlling the rebounds a bit better too, if he does that, he could very well be on top of his game completely.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 04:35 AM
popperbolt*

Send a message via ICQ to popperbolt*
Go Switzerland!

popperbolt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 06:24 AM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arob View Post
Gerber was out of position because he overplayed the puck. Sometimes your D hangs you out to dry, and that's when you have to rely on your goalie to make those clutch saves. And people not giving Emery heck when he lets in a softie? Thats hooey! Emery gets criticized as well, nobody likes a softie. The reason why Ray gets away with it is for 2 reasons: 1) He doesn't let them in often, and 2) he makes up for it by making highlight reel saves...FREQUENTLY!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImCph6Td6Y4
GordO and DeanO are a perfect example of not giving Emery Heck and raking Gerber over the coals.....

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:12 AM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by champben2002 View Post
In that 5-game stretch though, it was mostly Gerber.

I would say the same thing now that I had to say at the start of the season about Gerber. He can still be a pretty good goalie, but there are serious questions about his mental game. Those questions have been underlined since the start of the season though. And beating on the Caps and Flyers won't change that.
I agree. I'm certainly not saying he didn't mess up, or let us down in a number of games. I had no idea that he wasn't mentally tough, as I didn't follow him in Carolina.

However, I don't put it all on him as to why we lost at the start.

I disagree with your last comment. Winning against any team can help boost the confidence. Especially the last game. 35 saves is something to be proud off, especially vs the Caps. When they turn it on, they get pretty good opportunities.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISensFanI View Post
care to wager that?

I'd go against it.

As I really don't think your comment makes a whole lot of sense.

Someone can be good at something, but not be good. Nah, don't buy it.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Captain_Cunney

Gerber is starting to play like the Gerber I thought we signed, I still don't think he gets a fair shake in here but that is for another time (our 2 goalies give up the same peewee level rebounds but we only really here about it when a certain one does it).

The thing that bothers the hell out of me is that at the start of the season Murray said he'd probably give Ray at least 30 games (that was when Ray was the back up), but now that Ray has taken the number one job he suddenly changes his philosiphy????

I'm not saying they should hand Gerber his job back, but give him some f**king games to get the ball rolling so we have two top flite goalies going into the playoffs.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Gerber will get his job back by the end of the season.......book it. (Don't get your panties in a knot Emery fans, I still like him alot and think he is the future of the team, it is no knock on him, I'm just that high on Gerber)

Last edited by Captain_Cunney: 02-01-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:40 AM
RTWAP*

Quote:
The stats are currently as follows.

Pre-meltdown: 6.6 GP, 2.88, 0.917... 2 W, 5, L

5 G Meltdown: 5.0 GP, 4.21, 0.843 ... 1 W, 4 L... (Nov. 6-13)

Post-Meltdown: 6.25 GP, 2.40, 0.917..... 5 W, 1 L

IMO, I'd play Gerber in 1/3 games. Playing him will rest Emery and keep Gerber sharp. Plus, if there's any idea of trading Gerber... we'll need to play him to reduce the salay dump aspect and showcase him as the useful goalie that he is.
I love how you drill into the stats and expose deeper truths.

Gerber is a good goalie who went through a bad stretch. That is all.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:47 AM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Gerber will get his job back by the end of the season.......book it. (Don't get your panties in a knot Emery fans, I still like him alot and think he is the future of the team, it is no knock on him, I'm just that high on Gerber)
I don't think it's likely, but who knows.

And if it does happen then Gerber's season would parallel that of the team as a whole. Early problems followed by lots of hard work, rebuilding confidence and mental toughness. If it's better for a team to stumble and then work their way out of it (and I believe it is) then maybe the same holds true for some goalies.

Old
02-01-2007, 11:47 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post

Just wait. There are a lot of other people who judge based on stats.

Gerber stands at 8-9-1, 3.09, 0.899

With one more good game, he could get his record to .500, his AVG under 3.00 and his SV% over .900.
Slowly but surely, opinions will follow after that and Gerber will be an "overpaid, average starting goalie"... instead of "a minor leaguer with an albatross of a contract."

Old
02-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Reggie Dunlop

Quote:
Agreed. And I wouldn't want to get rid of Gerber, not right now. Sure, he's an expensive "backup" but if you look at the top teams in the league, many have two goalie tandems that could have either goalie starting (Miller/Biron, Toskala/Nabokov, Giguere/Bryzgalov, heck even Vokoun/Mason now). Should anything happen to Emery, I'd much rather have Gerber to fall back on than Guard or Glass.

When Emery resigns for a 2-3 mill/year salary, that's when the Emery/Gerber tandem will pose a problem, but I'd rather see Muckler deal with this problem post playoffs than beforehand.

Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:17 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
When Emery resigns for a 2-3 mill/year salary, that's when the Emery/Gerber tandem will pose a problem, but I'd rather see Muckler deal with this problem post playoffs than beforehand.
That's a very good point, and I heartily agree.

Old
02-01-2007, 03:06 PM
ISensFanI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
care to wager that?

I'd go against it.

As I really don't think your comment makes a whole lot of sense.

Someone can be good at something, but not be good. Nah, don't buy it.

You can do good at something one time, and not so good the next..you can have good games and bad games. ( I have few shutouts this season, but theres also games where Ive let in 6-7 goals.) Some games you look like **** and other you unbeatable.

I used to like Gerber and infact I still do, just he doesnt seem to be a very good goalie mentally, he plays too deep in his net, all the rebounds drop down in front of him and he doesnt cover up which makes a big scramble. He does play the angles well, also moves well in the net, he actually has pretty good reflexes too, but I guess he needs more confidence, if he lets in one bad goal he just doesnt play well the rest of the game (from what Ive seen). Im a goalie too and that actually happens to me sometimes, its just a hard thing for me to get over..but if im on my game, its hard to get the puck by.

I really hope Gerber can get over it and win me over, but I just dont see it happening.

ISensFanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 03:53 PM
jamiebez

Quote:

I beg to differ. Look at who he's played against:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/player...?playerId=1492

He's played the vast majority of his games against non-playoff or "bubble" teams. In games against "good" teams (Atlanta, Buffalo, Montreal and 2 vs. Carolina) he is 1-4.

I realize he can't control who he plays against, but a near-.500 record is nothing to crow about when you're playing against mostly bad teams.

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 04:21 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez View Post
I beg to differ. Look at who he's played against:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/player...?playerId=1492

He's played the vast majority of his games against non-playoff or "bubble" teams. In games against "good" teams (Atlanta, Buffalo, Montreal and 2 vs. Carolina) he is 1-4.

I realize he can't control who he plays against, but a near-.500 record is nothing to crow about when you're playing against mostly bad teams.
At this point, any of these teams could match or surpass Carolina:
Carolina 53-58
Pittsburgh 49-56
Toronto 52-56
Colorado 50-54
Islanders 50-52
Gerber went 5-3 vs. those mid-pack teams... 0-3 vs. teams above us... 3-3-1 vs. the bottom feeders.

Old
02-01-2007, 05:34 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
Quote:
The stats are currently as follows.

Pre-meltdown: 6.6 GP, 2.88, 0.917... 2 W, 5, L

5 G Meltdown: 5.0 GP, 4.21, 0.843 ... 1 W, 4 L... (Nov. 6-13)

Post-Meltdown: 6.25 GP, 2.40, 0.917..... 5 W, 1 L

IMO, I'd play Gerber in 1/3 games. Playing him will rest Emery and keep Gerber sharp. Plus, if there's any idea of trading Gerber... we'll need to play him to reduce the salay dump aspect and showcase him as the useful goalie that he is.
You can't argue with the post-meltdown numbers. I would also play Gerber 1/3 of the remaining games to:

1. Keep Emery fresh for the playoffs
2. Keep Gerber competitive where hopefully he gets his groove back to give Ottawa an excellent 1-2 punch in net

armani is offline   Reply With Quote