HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Bettman: "We're not seeking a hard salary cap"

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2004, 01:15 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Bettman: "We're not seeking a hard salary cap"

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=69904

Old
01-29-2004, 01:43 AM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
"Everybody covering the game knows what the problems are. The fans know what the problems are. And I believe deep inside, whether or not they choose to acknowledge it, the union knows what the problems are. The problems have to be addressed. The cost to the game of continuing like this would be greater than anything else. If we fix it, all will be well."

Gary, are you sure you know what the problems are? Because you are a big factor in creating those problems...

Old
01-29-2004, 01:53 AM
Yayo

Excuse my ignorance...what's the difference between a hard salary cap and a soft salary cap?

Old
01-29-2004, 02:09 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
NFL has a hard cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man
Excuse my ignorance...what's the difference between a hard salary cap and a soft salary cap?
that you cannot go over, last I heard it was close to 60 million (they also have 53 players per roster, dressed each week)

NBA has a soft cap of about 40+ million or thereabouts and they have 12 players dressed each week.

Just so you know, the Knicks Payroll is over 75 million

Old
01-29-2004, 03:17 AM
degroat*

warning
The person who made this thread (AND TSN) misquoted Bettman completely.

BETTMAN: "Weve never proposed an individual hard team salary cap."

That means that they have not proposed one. That doesn't mean they don't WANT one.

Old
01-29-2004, 03:20 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man
HARD CAP: Payroll can not exceed X dollars, ever. Doing so results in a fine of some sort, in the NFL, of lost draft picks.

SOFT CAP: Payroll is allowed to exceed X dollars under certain restrictions. In the NBA, players who have been with a team for a certain length of time only have a portion of their contract counting towards the cap... this is known as the Larry Bird Rule.

LUXURY TAX: Team is allowed to exceed X dollars as long as team pays Y% of every dollar over X. Techically, a luxury tax is a version of a small cap but it in general terms, it's two different things.

Old
01-29-2004, 05:29 AM
Jacob

Doesn't the MLB have a soft cap?

I'm hoping Bettman really was misquoted, or else it's sounding like the owners have already caved.

Old
01-29-2004, 06:00 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Doesn't the MLB have a soft cap?
Yea, but it's somewhere up in the $100 mil range. The only teams really affected by it is the Yankees and Bo Sox.

Old
01-29-2004, 06:20 AM
mrush

doesnt the nba have some luxury tax where if you go over the salary cap you, whatever x amount of money you go over you owe x amount of money back to the league??? not sure i read or heard it somewhere awhile back

Old
01-29-2004, 12:23 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I saw an short piece of an interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
warning

That means that they have not proposed one. That doesn't mean they don't WANT one.
With Bettman and he clearly stated that they want cost certantity and that for some reason, the league construed that to meaning they want a cap.

While they may want a cap, I don't think that it has ever been a proposed idea from the Leagues side of things. I also don't believe that that would have ever negotiated in that direction knowing full well that that topic is a discussion killer.

This CBA will get done before the season begins.

Old
01-29-2004, 01:00 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrush
doesnt the nba have some luxury tax where if you go over the salary cap you, whatever x amount of money you go over you owe x amount of money back to the league??? not sure i read or heard it somewhere awhile back

Yes, but the NBA also has a salary floor. You have to keep your payroll over a certian number. I dont know the exact dollar amount. But it did force the Clippers to re-sign two of their many FA's last summer. They let Miller and Odum (i beleive) leave as FA's. But re-sign Brand and Magiatte (sp?).

Old
01-30-2004, 02:47 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
warning

TSN got me talking

Old
01-30-2004, 06:44 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
HARD CAP: Payroll can not exceed X dollars, ever. Doing so results in a fine of some sort, in the NFL, of lost draft picks.

SOFT CAP: Payroll is allowed to exceed X dollars under certain restrictions. In the NBA, players who have been with a team for a certain length of time only have a portion of their contract counting towards the cap... this is known as the Larry Bird Rule.

LUXURY TAX: Team is allowed to exceed X dollars as long as team pays Y% of every dollar over X. Techically, a luxury tax is a version of a small cap but it in general terms, it's two different things.
Where does the luxury tax money go?

Old
01-30-2004, 06:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Where does the luxury tax money go?
I beleive it is distrubited amongst the teams who did not go over the luxury tax cap or to a player's emergency assistance fund

Old
01-30-2004, 06:50 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I beleive it is distrubited amongst the teams who did not go over the luxury tax cap or to a player's emergency assistance fund
It would go to other teams... I'm not sure how they determine it in the MLB, but it doesn't go to all teams that didn't go over, just about 5 or 6, I think.

Old
01-30-2004, 06:57 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
I think the biggest problem wit the game is that the owners and players share all revenue between the two of them when there is another side that should get something, the fans. It takes three for this business to work and I think owners and players should agree to lower their salaries so the fans can see a couple games without blowing over 500. If they don't lower prices then the fans should not show up to the games, we can see it on tv anyway.

Old
01-30-2004, 07:10 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I think the biggest problem wit the game is that the owners and players share all revenue between the two of them when there is another side that should get something, the fans. It takes three for this business to work and I think owners and players should agree to lower their salaries so the fans can see a couple games without blowing over 500. If they don't lower prices then the fans should not show up to the games, we can see it on tv anyway.
That's a nice dream, JMac, but it's not gonna happen. The prices are set based on what the teams think the fans will pay.

Closed Thread