HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

October 29, 1957 Dink Carroll Column with Lynn Patrick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2014, 12:50 PM
  #1
Canadiens1958
Registered User
 
Canadiens1958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13,774
vCash: 500
October 29, 1957 Dink Carroll Column with Lynn Patrick

Very detailed column touching on a variety of subjects:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...6910%2C5952569

- NHL scheduling advantages and disadvantages
- Sven Tumba's NA tryout and the difficulties facing him, other European and NCAA players.
- Gordie Howe and Alex Delvecchio.
- origins of the Bucyk/Horvath/Stasiuk line.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 01:40 PM
  #2
IMLACHnME
Registered User
 
IMLACHnME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 555
vCash: 500
1957-58 revisited

Here's a head-scratcher: the Bruins scored more goals (199 to 176), and allowed fewer (194 to 207) than the Wings that season, and, yet, Howe and company finished with 70 points, to Boston's 69. That extra point earned Detroit a first-round match-up with the Habs, while the Bruins faced the Rangers. Guess who played for the Cup?

Patrick doesn't mention Jerry Toppazzini or Fleming MacKell, who had their most productive seasons with his team, replacing the offense the Bruins had hoped to attain from Mckenney's line.

IMLACHnME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 02:17 PM
  #3
Killion
Registered User
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Village
Country: Wales
Posts: 29,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMLACHnME View Post
Patrick doesn't mention Jerry Toppazzini or Fleming MacKell, who had their most productive seasons with his team, replacing the offense the Bruins had hoped to attain from Mckenney's line.
Ya, reminding me of the tragically short & troubled career of Real' Chevrefils, who favored heavily on that Mckenney line with Leo Labine. Boston had reacquired him from Detroit in February of 56 & for the remainder of that season, explosive unit. The next season of 56/57 a good one, Chevrefils with 31 goals & 17 assists, a peak he'd never replicate much less surpass. Unfortunately the wheels really started to fall off for Real' over the summer & into the 57/58 season & beyond, finished with the NHL by 26 though playing in the minors until the early 60's. Ranked right behind Jean Beliveau as the best junior in Canada, instrumental in leading the Barrie Flyers to the Memorial Cup and according to Hap Emms the greatest player he'd ever Coached. But for his fondness for the booze, potentially one of the greatest of All Time. Unfulfilled potential. Pretty sad story really. Life seriously unwound after hockey.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 02:46 PM
  #4
Canadiens1958
Registered User
 
Canadiens1958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13,774
vCash: 500
Factors

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMLACHnME View Post
Here's a head-scratcher: the Bruins scored more goals (199 to 176), and allowed fewer (194 to 207) than the Wings that season, and, yet, Howe and company finished with 70 points, to Boston's 69. That extra point earned Detroit a first-round match-up with the Habs, while the Bruins faced the Rangers. Guess who played for the Cup?

Patrick doesn't mention Jerry Toppazzini or Fleming MacKell, who had their most productive seasons with his team, replacing the offense the Bruins had hoped to attain from Mckenney's line.
Variety of factors. Bruins lost Leo Boivin and Doug Mohns for significant parts of the season and lacked the depth to cover short term. Red Wings made a few mid-season trades that produced a patchwork solution.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 03:50 PM
  #5
Axxellien
Registered User
 
Axxellien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,456
vCash: 500
McKenney, Mackell;

I dont know why Don McKenney and Fleming Mackell did not play together more often!

Axxellien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 04:03 PM
  #6
Axxellien
Registered User
 
Axxellien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,456
vCash: 500
1959=60 Bruins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Variety of factors. Bruins lost Leo Boivin and Doug Mohns for significant parts of the season and lacked the depth to cover short term. Red Wings made a few mid-season trades that produced a patchwork solution.
Add to it, the loss of Allan Stanley and his demoted Young Partner..Larry Hillman..Donnie Simmons could not believe it!


Last edited by Axxellien: 03-19-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Axxellien is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.