HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Introducing your 2014-15 Flyers - armchair edition.

Old
01-27-2014, 06:56 AM
FlyingPhilly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
They're dumb but unfortunately I don't think they're that dumb to trade off their 2015 pick.
If Steve Tambellini was still their GM, would you consider the chances of that happening higher than now? Both of them are terrible GMs, MacT with his apparent overvaluing of players and Steve leading his team to 3 consecutive 1st overalls.

I agree though, they probably are not that dumb to trade that pick. It would be funny if id did happen though and it becomes yet another 1st overall.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 08:32 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

I just really want Ekblad, and I don't really quite care what it takes to get him.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 09:23 AM
Prongo
Beer

Maybe a Coburn for Justin Schultz +2nd rounder (2015) type of deal could be worked out. Flyers were in on him until the end so we know the like him a lot.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 09:42 AM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grare View Post
I swear on my life I didn't... great minds think alike, we need a rebuild' actually, not even that.. we need a Re-Tool
Better Defense/ 2 snipers/ and team speed/
3 things this accomplishes, all while getting younger, PLUS if my calculations are correct, if done would be slightly under our current cap.

Kimmo can fetch a first... kubina got a 2nd and a 4th....
Hartnell plus a 2nd to a playoff team who needs physical play with a scoring touch would fetch a 1st
WPG Needs a center, they receive draft picks to help with their rebuild, and we've been linked to Buff for awhile now
Vinny a salary dump? He was the most sought after FA, unfortunately the Flyers are to slow to use him properly... your whole team can't be slow.
We arent getting Vanek? I'll take your word.. you seem to know the future perfectly, as if you predicted it yourself, just like the fact you "doubt" buff has the Flyers on HIS list
Money talks, playing with Giroux, I think he'd consider it and thrive in Philadelphia

Edit: These trades/fa pickups make the Flyers a very well rounded team that is young and can compete for the foreseeable future. (un-like now)
Still would have possibly Morin, Hagg, & Ghost developing properly for the future
& our core is still intact.
Obviously this is hypothetical (like everyones post in this thread) but I find it hard to argue the fact that this roster would be a cup contending team, and like I said, a little bit cheaper also... with the cap raise, anything is possible to make it even better.

Buff is overrated, and I do not want him on this team. He will cost too much and he does not have the speed and puck moving qualities in defenseman that we desperately need.

Vanek is almost certainly going to Minnesota if they offer a contract even close to the other teams. His family lives there and he likes it a lot. Of course I'm sure he would look at all options he probably won't choose Philly.

The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 09:46 AM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I just really want Ekblad, and I don't really quite care what it takes to get him.
Me too. Of course trading several pieces would hurt the team in the coming season, but maybe that is not a bad thing with the 2015 draft coming up.

The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 10:05 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
If Steve Tambellini was still their GM, would you consider the chances of that happening higher than now? Both of them are terrible GMs, MacT with his apparent overvaluing of players and Steve leading his team to 3 consecutive 1st overalls.

I agree though, they probably are not that dumb to trade that pick. It would be funny if id did happen though and it becomes yet another 1st overall.
If Tambo was still there, there would be zero chance it gets moved. That guy was so passive it wasn't even funny.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 10:08 AM
SolidSnakeUS

How would this look? Our 4th line would actually look like it could go something. Akeson I think would do well with Couts and Read.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Brayden Schenn ($2.750m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Jason Akeson ($0.900m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Michael Raffl ($0.900m) / Scott Laughton ($0.894m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Erik Gustafsson ($1.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Matt Niskanen ($3.500m)
Mark Alt ($0.782m) /
Chris Pronger ($4.941m) /
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Cal Heeter ($0.900m)
BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,067,262; BONUSES: $330,833
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,032,738

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 10:11 AM
Hiesenberg

That defense isn't different enough, I still see the same issues.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 10:15 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I feel that is about what is going to be next year for the defense. However, I feel in the following year, I could see Morin, Hagg and Ghost joining the big club full time.

Coburn-Ghost
Morin-Streit
Hagg-Gus

Not sure about Schenn...

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 10:18 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I feel that is about what is going to be next year for the defense. However, I feel in the following year, I could see Morin, Hagg and Ghost joining the big club full time.

Coburn-Ghost
Morin-Streit
Hagg-Gus

Not sure about Schenn...
I can absolutely see them doing minimal change until the help arrives from the kids. I don't want to see 3 or 4 long term deals clogging up roster spots.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 10:38 AM
LegionOfDoom91

There's really no quick fixes out there right now unless you feel like selling the farm otherwise it will have to band-aids from here on out.

I would ship Grossmann out as well. I like Nik & think he's a solid player despite the rough stretch going on right now but we can get some value for him right now & he's kind of redundant with Schenn in the fold as well.

Old
01-27-2014, 02:25 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
There's really no quick fixes out there right now unless you feel like selling the farm otherwise it will have to band-aids from here on out.

I would ship Grossmann out as well. I like Nik & think he's a solid player despite the rough stretch going on right now but we can get some value for him right now & he's kind of redundant with Schenn in the fold as well.
Agreed 1000%. some flyers fans dont see that next season Flyers have room for 1 big fa signing and thats it. You could be looking at
Girardi-Coburn
Streit-Grossmann
Schenn-Gus

Grossmann and Schenn bring the same things to the table and its not working. why would you try the same thing again this season?

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
I agree about there isn't any quick fixes but it doesn't mean that the Flyers can't get a jump on become title contenders. The defense needs to be rebuilt. If that means sacrificing forward talent and creating holes upfront so be it.

The only quality defensemen they could get would be young guys who have not established themselves yet so they would need some NHL seasoning: guys that are currently struggling at the NHL level like J Schultz, Gardiner, and Pysyk or guys who are near NHL ready like Beaulieu or Gormley. Even getting a guy at 2 years plus his draft year will expedite the process. The faster they get some young guys into the lineup the faster that 3-4 year learning curve takes place.

As far as holes created up front by trades, forward prospects have a smaller development curve. The flyers also have a much better track record for finding forward talent. It's not like the Flyers would be trading Giroux or Voracek so you are looking at 2nd and 3rd liners that would be needed. Those spots could easily be filled by a typical flyers 1st round forward draft pick at 1 year post draft, 2 years tops.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Prongo
Beer

I wonder if we are scouting Montreal anymore and vice versa still... Haven't heard anything in that front

Old
01-27-2014, 04:19 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I agree about there isn't any quick fixes but it doesn't mean that the Flyers can't get a jump on become title contenders. The defense needs to be rebuilt. If that means sacrificing forward talent and creating holes upfront so be it.

The only quality defensemen they could get would be young guys who have not established themselves yet so they would need some NHL seasoning: guys that are currently struggling at the NHL level like J Schultz, Gardiner, and Pysyk or guys who are near NHL ready like Beaulieu or Gormley. Even getting a guy at 2 years plus his draft year will expedite the process. The faster they get some young guys into the lineup the faster that 3-4 year learning curve takes place.

As far as holes created up front by trades, forward prospects have a smaller development curve. The flyers also have a much better track record for finding forward talent. It's not like the Flyers would be trading Giroux or Voracek so you are looking at 2nd and 3rd liners that would be needed. Those spots could easily be filled by a typical flyers 1st round forward draft pick at 1 year post draft, 2 years tops.
This is essentially my thinking as well.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 05:11 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

I rather just do what San Jose did last year & sell off all the UFA's/dead weight & pick up some picks or prospects in the process even if they aren't phenomenal returns (which they likely won't be unless someone gets really desperate).

I rather just patch some holes for the time being with some UFA's that you won't back the bank with than trade a guy like Schenn or Couturier (who I'm not even really high on as many around here are). If you could move a guy like Laughton & one of the assets you would acquire from selling off players to acquire one of those young unproven defenders than I would do it.

Old
01-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
I rather just patch some holes for the time being with some UFA's that you won't back the bank with than trade a guy like Schenn or Couturier (who I'm not even really high on as many around here are). If you could move a guy like Laughton & one of the assets you would acquire from selling off players to acquire one of those young unproven defenders than I would do it.
I would much rather trade a roster forward than Laughton. Laughton's upside is a question mark but he is a plus skater which this team has in short supply. Also prospects return less in a trade than an NHLer. But the biggest reason I would keep him over a roster player is his cap hit. The Flyers continually screw themselves by spending to the cap each year. Cap space is as much of a commodity as a player. Another way to get good players for cheap is when they are cap dumps like Brian Campbell. Brian Burke got Cody Franson for simply taking Matt Lombardi off Nashville's hands. Holmgren himself got Carolina to throw in Alt to take Boosh. Lastly one of the big reasons Toronto won the bernier sweeps last year was because the retained a half a mil in salary, giving LA even more cap flexibility.

Old
01-27-2014, 06:50 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I would much rather trade a roster forward than Laughton. Laughton's upside is a question mark but he is a plus skater which this team has in short supply. Also prospects return less in a trade than an NHLer. But the biggest reason I would keep him over a roster player is his cap hit. The Flyers continually screw themselves by spending to the cap each year. Cap space is as much of a commodity as a player. Another way to get good players for cheap is when they are cap dumps like Brian Campbell. Brian Burke got Cody Franson for simply taking Matt Lombardi off Nashville's hands. Holmgren himself got Carolina to throw in Alt to take Boosh. Lastly one of the big reasons Toronto won the bernier sweeps last year was because the retained a half a mil in salary, giving LA even more cap flexibility.
We'll see it's probably unlikely that they do either of our ideas anyway seeing how they operate.

Old
01-27-2014, 08:03 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
If Tambo was still there, there would be zero chance it gets moved. That guy was so passive it wasn't even funny.
Never paid much attention to the guy. In fact I do not really pay attention to MacT either. So, I guess he would be more willing to pony up that pick that Steve then. Someone needs to get him drunk and on the phone with Holmgren.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 09:02 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
According to league sources, the defensemen available right now are such names as Florida's Mike Weaver or Colorado's Ryan Wilson. They are more like rental stopgaps, not contender gap closers.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...I2JGFEcbvk9.99
Mike Weaver is someone I wound't mind bringing in here actually. He is a right handed shot(which he doesn't have/use) but would help with the right defense in the Ozone trying to get the puck in. He would be cheap too, and would look good paired with Gus on the third pairing. Now, where does luke Schenn fit in then?

We really need right handed defenseman. I am just sick of seeing Coburn or Streit have to go from back hand to forehand while a forward is coming down on him, then they just make a sloppy play and turn the puck over.

Old
01-28-2014, 09:16 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Mike Weaver is someone I wound't mind bringing in here actually. He is a right handed shot(which he doesn't have/use) but would help with the right defense in the Ozone trying to get the puck in. He would be cheap too, and would look good paired with Gus on the third pairing. Now, where does luke Schenn fit in then?

We really need right handed defenseman. I am just sick of seeing Coburn or Streit have to go from back hand to forehand while a forward is coming down on him, then they just make a sloppy play and turn the puck over.
If those guys are the only ones available, then the flyers should just pull the plug on the season.

Old
02-03-2014, 09:21 AM
Appleyard

Who are the top upcoming college UFAs this year?

The Flyers always seem to be in on them (DeKeyser, Da Costa, Bozak, Hartzell, Schultz, Sustr) and have got some pretty decent players this way (Gus, Read, Powe, Zolnierczyk) and get a lot of decent AHLers this way. (Flanagan, Heeter, Holmstrom, Testwuide, Lauridsen, Mangene. )

I do not really follow College hockey as much as I do Juniors and Finland and Sweden, so do not really have a clue!

And it seems likely the Flyers will be in on the guys who are potential NHLers... as they always are.

And is it not only like a month away until they will start to be signed?

Last edited by Appleyard: 02-03-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 10:02 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Who are the top upcoming college UFAs this year?

The Flyers always seem to be in on them (DeKeyser, Da Costa, Bozak, Hartzell, Schultz, Sustr) and have got some pretty decent players this way (Gus, Read, Powe, Zolnierczyk) and get a lot of decent AHLers this way. (Flanagan, Heeter, Holmstrom, Testwuide, Lauridsen, Mangene. )

I do not really follow College hockey as much as I do Juniors and Finland and Sweden, so do not really have a clue!

And it seems likely the Flyers will be in on the guys who are potential NHLers... as they always are.

And is it not only like a month away until they will start to be signed?
F Greg Carey, St. Lawrence
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=39495
F Ryan Haggerty, RPI
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=45402
F Austin Czarnik, Miami
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=20707
D Trevor van Riemsdyk, UNH
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=60230
D Ahti Oksanen, BU
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=56595
G Ryan McKay, Miami
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=45719
G C.J. Motte, Ferris State
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=39407

That's just a few but it doesn't seem like a good year on that front. Carey was a hot commodity last summer but went back to school, the Flyers were interested in him seeing as he was a teammate of Kyle Flanagan. TVR just got hurt & is out for the year so he could likely return for his senior year.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 02-03-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old
02-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Appleyard

Thanks!

TVR and Oksanen were the only two of those guys who I was aware of.

Carey and Haggerty seem like they could be NHL players from their resumes... how good is Czarnik? As his size would seemingly hold him back... seems tiny!

Interesting that the Flyers have already had contact/interest in Carey and TVR.

How do they all project as NHL players? Middle 6ers and #4 d men?

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 10:31 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Thanks!

TVR and Oksanen were the only two of those guys who I was aware of.

Carey and Haggerty seem like they could be NHL players from their resumes... how good is Czarnik? As his size would seemingly hold him back... seems tiny!

Interesting that the Flyers have already had contact/interest in Carey and TVR.

How do they all project as NHL players? Middle 6ers and #4 d men?
McKay was at our camp last year as well.

I would imagine they all project bottom 6, bottom 4 pairing, & backup goalies at best but who knows one of them could be the next Matt Read or Torey Krug for all we know.