HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ankle support?

Old
01-27-2014, 08:53 AM
SAnuck

vCash: 500
Ankle support?

Hey guys,

I'm very new to ice-hockey (I only recently moved to Canada with my family from Australia) and I'm just getting into ice-skating and actually playing the game and i've got a few questions.

I've gone to the local rink a few times for a skate here and there, and although i can get around the ice (VERY slowly mind you) and I obviously need some lessons, I'm looking at purchasing my first set of skates soon. The few times I've skated I've just used the rink provided skates and everytime I have found that my ankles just ache like I've never felt before.

Is this normal? Is it because I'm simply using a new muscle (ankle area) and it's getting worked and this pain is normal for all new skaters and goes away over time? Could it be that the skates I was using just weren't good quality/a good fit? Or a combination of them both? I was wondering if there are ankle specific supports you can purchase and wear while learning to help ease the pain?

I can only manage 8-10 minutes on the ice at a VERY casual skate before I'm forced to take a rest due to the pain.

Also, I'm a 24 year old learning to ice-skate for the first time, has anyone on here also started at a late age? And if so, got any tips? How did you find it? Any ankle strengthening exercises you recommend? etc. etc.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by SAnuck: 01-27-2014 at 09:02 AM.
SAnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 07:49 AM
shoeshine boy

it's likely because you're using the rink's skates. those things are probably cheap AND about 60 years old. I started on some cheap $50 CCMs. when I decided I was really going to play I bought a pair of previous year model Bauer Vapors on clearance. the support was so much better than I could suddenly do a lot of things on skates that had been very difficult before.
when you go shopping for skates get fitted properly. don't buy something just because it's a great deal.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 07:53 AM
jazzykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
it's likely because you're using the rink's skates. those things are probably cheap AND about 60 years old. I started on some cheap $50 CCMs. when I decided I was really going to play I bought a pair of previous year model Bauer Vapors on clearance. the support was so much better than I could suddenly do a lot of things on skates that had been very difficult before.
when you go shopping for skates get fitted properly. don't buy something just because it's a great deal.
+1 Totally. The deal hunter in me hates paying "extra" but if they don't fit right you've thrown your money away.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 08:01 AM
SAnuck

Thanks guys! I'm definitely going to continue learning the sport so I'll definitely buy a good, fitted pair of skates in the next couple weeks. I'm just going through the process of reading all the threads in this section now haha.

Thanks !

Old
01-28-2014, 10:50 AM
BlueJazz

Don't worry about starting too late, these boards have tons of guys who have started much later than you.

Myself, I grew up in Canada, and didn't start skating till my 20's, and didn't pick up a hockey stick till my 30's (4 months ago).

My advice for learning to skate, is to get some protective gear (helmet and shinpads at a minimum, though if you're going to progress to hockey anyway, get some good hockey pants to protect your tailbone a bit), and then go hard and just keep getting up and trying again. I often tell people I learned to skate by falling down on the ice for hours at a time. Unfortunately I didn't buy the helmet until after I got a concussion my second time out... so trust me on the protective gear.

As for the skates, it sounds like you need to get a properly fitted pair of skates.

BlueJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 12:10 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

If the skates got too much plastic and not much padding (which rink skates usually do) it is very normal for them to hurt. Now, even a brand new pair can hurt a for a few hours of skating/playtime. I've just recently got a new pair and even tho their padding is good, after 8 hours of playtime I still feel some pain.

As others said, helmet should be your friend. And if you don't want to have a very painful skating career get some knee protection aswell, l still remember the first time I fell on ice and both of my knees made contact with it...not only did I cry, but I was so close to never ever setting a foot on icy surface.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 06:50 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAnuck View Post
Hey guys,

I'm very new to ice-hockey (I only recently moved to Canada with my family from Australia) and I'm just getting into ice-skating and actually playing the game and i've got a few questions.

I've gone to the local rink a few times for a skate here and there, and although i can get around the ice (VERY slowly mind you) and I obviously need some lessons, I'm looking at purchasing my first set of skates soon. The few times I've skated I've just used the rink provided skates and everytime I have found that my ankles just ache like I've never felt before.

Is this normal? Is it because I'm simply using a new muscle (ankle area) and it's getting worked and this pain is normal for all new skaters and goes away over time? Could it be that the skates I was using just weren't good quality/a good fit? Or a combination of them both? I was wondering if there are ankle specific supports you can purchase and wear while learning to help ease the pain?

I can only manage 8-10 minutes on the ice at a VERY casual skate before I'm forced to take a rest due to the pain.

Also, I'm a 24 year old learning to ice-skate for the first time, has anyone on here also started at a late age? And if so, got any tips? How did you find it? Any ankle strengthening exercises you recommend? etc. etc.

Thanks guys!
You have a number of reasons for this:

1. New to you....Balance...even if you have strong ankles your antagonist muscles are nervously fighting your every move...congratulations, your body is reacting as it should
2. New to you...skating...you may need more strength in your ankles...but are probably better equipped strength wise than most kids starting out (they have other advantages but generally not that)
3. Skates...definitely worthwhile getting a well fitted hockey skate above a rec level skate...further above that is nice but not necessary

I would advise taping the skates after the 8-10 minutes (longer if you can), for the added support, if the skates seem OK, or right away if they are soft rentals...not ideal but if it keeps you on the ice it is definitely worthwhile

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
If the skates got too much plastic and not much padding (which rink skates usually do) it is very normal for them to hurt. Now, even a brand new pair can hurt a for a few hours of skating/playtime. I've just recently got a new pair and even tho their padding is good, after 8 hours of playtime I still feel some pain.

As others said, helmet should be your friend. And if you don't want to have a very painful skating career get some knee protection aswell, l still remember the first time I fell on ice and both of my knees made contact with it...not only did I cry, but I was so close to never ever setting a foot on icy surface.
Good advice...don't forget elbow pads.

One advantage kids have, aside from being low to the ice, is wearing full gear starting out...it can easily half the time it takes to improve

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:05 PM
SAnuck

Thanks guys. It really is incredible to have a tool such as this forum available to new skaters and hockey players. The advice and support is amazing!