HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

New GM

Old
01-26-2014, 03:15 PM
m22run

vCash: 500
New GM

So If the Flyers don't make the playoffs Paul Holmgren more then likely will be fired. So then who would you want to be hired as the new Gm?

m22run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 03:17 PM
LegionOfDoom91

They didn't bring Hextall back for no reason, whether or not that would be the right choice remains to be seen.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 03:19 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
He will never be fired under Snider. Only chance for him to leave is if he chooses to step down.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 03:28 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
He will never be fired under Snider. Only chance for him to leave is if he chooses to step down.
Well Bobby Mac was saying earlier this year that it was Homer who was pulling the strings to get Hextall back here because he was getting ready to step down soon & wanted someone he's familiar with to replace him.

Old
01-26-2014, 03:58 PM
GiggityGiggityGoo

vCash: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Well Bobby Mac was saying earlier this year that it was Homer who was pulling the strings to get Hextall back here because he was getting ready to step down soon & wanted someone he's familiar with to replace him.
The inmates are running the asylum, boys.

GiggityGiggityGoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 04:00 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Pretty ironic that Holmgren himself has one foot out the door...yet he is still holding a loaded gun over a cliff..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 04:24 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Pretty ironic that Holmgren himself has one foot out the door...yet he is still holding a loaded gun over a cliff..
It depends on what their definition of "soon" is, it could be this year or two/three years down the road.

He's been the GM for a while now & is approaching 60 so it could have been just a case of calling it quits & taking a less stressful & easier job with Flyers.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 01-26-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old
01-26-2014, 04:39 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I don't think he would get fired, but maybe he would take another job with the organization.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 04:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
It depends on what their definition of "soon" is, it could be this year or two/three years down the road.

He's been the GM for a while now & is approaching 60 so it could have been just a case of calling it quits & taking a less stressful & easier job with Flyers.
Didn't he recently say his real passion is the scouting aspect of the job?

01-26-2014, 05:00 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Didn't he recently say his real passion is the scouting aspect of the job?
I believe so, I think there was an article on it last year since we didn't make the playoffs it was the first time in a while he was able to get out do some scouting towards the end of the year & not have to focus on anything else but that.

I would imagine if he steps down he takes a job like Clarke though.

Old
01-26-2014, 05:49 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
I think if they miss the playoffs he steps down and assimilates into the scouting team as director/head/something like that and Hextall comes in as GM.

Holmgren does seemingly have a very good eye for talent at the draft.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 05:50 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
I believe so, I think there was an article on it last year since we didn't make the playoffs it was the first time in a while he was able to get out do some scouting towards the end of the year & not have to focus on anything else but that.

I would imagine if he steps down he takes a job like Clarke though.
looks like he's angling himself nicely for an offseason of scouting again

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 05:59 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
I think if they miss the playoffs he steps down and assimilates into the scouting team as director/head/something like that and Hextall comes in as GM.

Holmgren does seemingly have a very good eye for talent at the draft.
Yeah, that would be good for us but I don't know where his head is at. He is turning 60 soon & has been involved with hockey for a long time now. So he might just want to spend more time with his family now that he's getting up there in age & he also had that bike accident recently as well that could factor into things.

The Flyers would surely offer him some stupid job title that basically has him doing nothing & pay him for it because he's been with the organization for so long if he truly does just want to walk away & spend more time with his family.

Old
01-26-2014, 06:03 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
can't wait for Hextall to take over, not have immediate results and everyone turn on him

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 07:41 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
can't wait for Hextall to take over, not have immediate results and everyone turn on him
Sad, but true.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 08:14 PM
Larry44

Quote:
In any good organization, one of the CEO's key jobs is succession planning: making sure there are a number of people in the organization ready to move up, and ideally one being groomed to take over for you. Anything can happen, health issue, family issue, lousy D, that could mean the CEO, or GM in this case, has to retire/leave. Homer and Snider were smart to bring Hexy back this year, so he's ready if and when Homer decides to reduce his workload or Snider decides to replace him.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 08:38 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
When Bobby Ryan doesn't sign here or isn't traded for....FIRE HEXTALL! HOW COULD HE LET THIS HAPPEN!?!?!

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 01:19 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

More importantly; who are some good coaching candidates? Just don't think Berube is the right man for the job.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 08:24 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
More importantly; who are some good coaching candidates? Just don't think Berube is the right man for the job.
I think he already has a 3 year deal beyond this season. He's not going anywhere and firing him in this season would be stupid. The guy needs his off season, his training camp, his players before you sell the farm on him.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 08:26 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I think he already has a 3 year deal beyond this season. He's not going anywhere and firing him in this season would be stupid. The guy needs his off season, his training camp, his players before you sell the farm on him.
I'm not necessarily blaming him for the state of the team, I just personally don't like the system he runs and don't think it fits the personnel very well... Obviously berube knows the personell better than I do, but I'm just going by what I see on the ice, which is everyone seemingly unaware of what their responsibilities are in virtually any given spot on the ice.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 08:28 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I'm not necessarily blaming him for the state of the team, I just personally don't like the system he runs and don't think it fits the personnel very well... Obviously berube knows the personell better than I do, but I'm just going by what I see on the ice, which is everyone seemingly unaware of what their responsibilities are in virtually any given spot on the ice.
I think what we see is a result of talent on the team. Its the same thing over and over again, so far with Laviolette & Berube, the D just clogs the zone, they can't get it out and turn the puck over which results in goals.

Old
01-27-2014, 08:57 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I'm not totally sold on Berube but....I think he deserves a full season with a revamped roster, However, if the team continues to not respond and play more consistently then you have to consider replacing him. I guess it will depend on what the GM does with upgrading the personnel..whether it's Holmgren or Hextall. Maybe Hextall would have somebody else in mind as coach....

Old
01-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
He got a two year deal including this season.

If Hextall wants his own coach I'd have no problem with them moving Berube to another role. Maybe coaching the Phantoms.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 09:24 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
I'm not totally sold on Berube but....I think he deserves a full season with a revamped roster, However, if the team continues to not respond and play more consistently then you have to consider replacing him. I guess it will depend on what the GM does with upgrading the personnel..whether it's Holmgren or Hextall. Maybe Hextall would have somebody else in mind as coach....
How many coaches are going they going to go through? Its the players, its 100% on them now, they either stink or are lazy.

Old
01-27-2014, 09:27 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
How many coaches are going they going to go through? Its the players, its 100% on them now, they either stink or are lazy.
I agree....to me it's a personnel problem..not the right mix. GM needs to do his job better to right that. Unfortunately, a coach has a responsibility as well and he has to perform with what he has been given even if it's not ideal. That is why he gets paid the big bucks. Just the real world and Berube knows that..he's a stand up kind of guy and is up for the challenge but we'll see if he can get results in this stretch run.