HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Kevin Klein

Old
01-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

vCash: 500
He was ok. Not quite worthy of the nickname "Optimus Klein" yet...Let him settle in.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 05:56 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

John Moore had a great game, and Kline looked really solid. I'm starting to hop on board KK being nice piece for this team

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 06:04 PM
h0ckeyman

He hasn't looked great. You can tell he is not comfortable yet.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 06:28 PM
Mint

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
He hasn't looked great. You can tell he is not comfortable yet.
IMO only Staal and Stralman from the defense played well tonight.

Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 06:35 PM
Affinity

I thought Klein and Moore looked very good at times. 3rd pairing has stabilized.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 06:44 PM
94now

Klein has no Fantasy value. Other than that he is very good. John Moore had an excellent game this afternoon possibly because of Kevin. BTW, I wish Fantasy Hockey willbecome as illegal as PEDs. It turns normal hockey fans into idiots.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Levitate

Klein makes good plays along the boards and moves the puck effectively/makes breakout passes in his own end, from the two games I've seen of him so far. If you do those things you're generally a pretty good NHL defenseman so I like it so far. Frees up Moore to use his skating a bit more as well, as we saw today.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Lindberg Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Klein has no Fantasy value. Other than that he is very good. John Moore had an excellent game this afternoon possibly because of Kevin. BTW, I wish Fantasy Hockey willbecome as illegal as PEDs. It turns normal hockey fans into idiots.
Matteau had zero fantasy value too

Lindberg Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 07:04 PM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindberg Cheese View Post
Matteau had zero fantasy value too
He seems to share the sentiment with you, if you read the rest of his post

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 07:07 PM
h0ckeyman

I never expected anything fancy from Klein, but I would definitely like to see him step up his physicality a bit. He just is not comfortable yet. I know he will ramp it up in the coming weeks. Right now, he is making smart plays but his compete level just isn't where it should be yet IMO.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 07:47 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Liked his game last night, simple, smart, well positioned, effective
Klein reminds me of how we described Girardi when he first came into the league. You barely noticed him because he constantly makes quiet, subtle, nice plays.

01-26-2014, 08:32 PM
slipknottin

Moore looks like a completely different player now that he is paired with Klein. Moore is skating all over, jumping into every rush he can.

If he keeps going and contributing offensively I don't care at all about Kleins "lack of offense"

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 09:32 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Moore looks like a completely different player now that he is paired with Klein. Moore is skating all over, jumping into every rush he can.

If he keeps going and contributing offensively I don't care at all about Kleins "lack of offense"
I think I said in another thread that John More could be the bigest beneficiary of this trade. With a modest sample of work, I stand on that statement.

Brooks describes Klein well -- Vanilla. Sometimes that's fine. A little vanilla helps the other flavors stand out.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 09:50 PM
Crease

He's a career 4/5 guy. He's not going to stand out. I was expecting more physicality though.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 09:55 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:

Klein not noted for his offensive abilities.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 10:36 AM
SlapshotTheMovie

Dude parks his big ass in front of hank and makes sure no one else can. This is two games in a row where you notice he is severely limiting the traffic in front of hank when he is on the ice. THATS HUGE. If you can't see that then maybe you only care about flashy plays because this kid is doing a great job so far. Yet to give up an odd mad rush or set up a one timer in side his own zone. Much better then MDZ. Its a small sample size but MDZ had bad turn overs in his own zone in almost every game.

SlapshotTheMovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 11:09 AM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
I never expected anything fancy from Klein, but I would definitely like to see him step up his physicality a bit. He just is not comfortable yet. I know he will ramp it up in the coming weeks. Right now, he is making smart plays but his compete level just isn't where it should be yet IMO.
He is making the smart moves, and that is HUGE for our 3rd pairing considering Moore CAN make those offensive moves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner McKay View Post
Klein reminds me of how we described Girardi when he first came into the league. You barely noticed him because he constantly makes quiet, subtle, nice plays.
Basically my opinion as well... You don't notice the guy, and that's what you WANT from a defensive defenseman. We've been noticing Girardi alot more because he isn't comfortable with Man-to-Man in a complete fashion just yet, while Klein is since he's played it in Nashville for Several seasons.

Quote:

I don't think Moore will be a true Offensive Defenseman, but Moore will definitely become a defenseman with an offensive edge. That's huge for our Defense.

I notice the one thing that a PMD has is skating skills. MDZ did not have that, and I'm pretty sure that is why AV preferred John Moore over MDZ. Personally, I'm fine with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotTheMovie View Post
Dude parks his big ass in front of hank and makes sure no one else can. This is two games in a row where you notice he is severely limiting the traffic in front of hank when he is on the ice. THATS HUGE. If you can't see that then maybe you only care about flashy plays because this kid is doing a great job so far. Yet to give up an odd mad rush or set up a one timer in side his own zone. Much better then MDZ. Its a small sample size but MDZ had bad turn overs in his own zone in almost every game.
Again, my opinion to a T. I noticed him doing that alot in the game yesterday afternoon. Fighting the devils centerman in front of Hank. I also noticed he was on the ice for 2 goals for. He makes the smart play instead of the flashy play. He covers Moores ass when Moore goes into the rush. He clears the crease and plays a stay at home game for Hank. He makes the simple, subtle pass out of the zone. Give him some more time to get comfortable with the players, as well as the coaching staff, and I believe we'll see him become a defensive freight train with plenty of oomph that can toss players around like crazy. That's what we've needed on defense, and that alone is huge, really huge, for this team.

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Klein was the perfect addition to the defense.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 11:51 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Klein was the perfect addition to the defense.
It's early but yeah in general a solid guy who plays the right side and can steady the pairings is pretty handy. I like(d) Del Zotto but it's tough to say he was ever really gonna take another step, and indeed seemed to be taking a step back. Might be best for both teams.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 11:56 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I like how he consistently picks up a man on the defensive zone, especially in the slot, and stays right on him. Two hands on his stick, stick right up against the torso of the opposing forward. Leaves no gap and keeps the player away from the crease.

He has had some bad moments but I can see the potential to be a great addition as he settles in.

01-27-2014, 11:58 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
It's early but yeah in general a solid guy who plays the right side and can steady the pairings is pretty handy. I like(d) Del Zotto but it's tough to say he was ever really gonna take another step, and indeed seemed to be taking a step back. Might be best for both teams.
He reminds me of Girardi. Underrated, calm with the puck, strong on his skates, positionally solid.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 12:15 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I would like to see him be a bit more physical but overall he has been good so far. Still wish we could have gotten a pick with him though.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 12:55 PM
LyNX27

Looked a little slow compared to the rest of the team and held onto the puck a tad longer than I thought he should have in some situations but... Considering one of his first games with us is an outdoor rivalry game I'd say he did OK, nothing more than that.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 12:58 PM
Clausewitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I think I said in another thread that John More could be the bigest beneficiary of this trade. With a modest sample of work, I stand on that statement.

Brooks describes Klein well -- Vanilla. Sometimes that's fine. A little vanilla helps the other flavors stand out.
Love the way you phrased that.

Clausewitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 01:02 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Smart and positional...he also played 19:01

Last edited by Mio41: 01-27-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote