HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jagr: I Have Two Years Left

Old
02-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Phil333

vCash: 500
Jagr: I Have Two Years Left

Didn't outrigt say he's retiring in two years but definitely gave a strong hint thats what he's thinking.

"Well, it's been for 15 years. It's already behind me," Jagr said with a slight laugh after practice Thursday. "I've got two years left, or whatever, in my hockey career. I'm not going to worry now."

Thought it was worth a discussion. I can't believe someone w. 62 points/51 games only has two years left but I imagine he's pretty tired.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2751083

Last edited by Phil333: 02-01-2007 at 05:33 PM.
Phil333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

If the Rangers go deep into the playoffs in the next two years, I think he will stick it out a little longer to see if he get get another cup. Just my opinion.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 05:17 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

I wouldn't worry about it. Jagr seems like the kind of guy who just says whatever is on his mind based on his mood that day, and it always seems like it leans towards being totally humble (some people call it "not caring").

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 05:21 PM
cringer

i remember him saying he'd retire at the end of this contract and go home to Europe.

Then again, he also said he might play in Russia last season.... so who knows, I think he plays it by ear.

cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 05:34 PM
shoothepuck
NY Raiders AMNRL

You can see he's not happy with his play this season. Maybe he figured he'd feel better after his surgery, and it's not healing as quick as he thought, and two years is enough.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 06:01 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Yeah i saw that too... not sure how much stock you put into that quote. We'll see in 2 years i guess.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Edge

Don't think it's a matter of not wanting to play so much as hoping to still be a good player in front of his home country.

He's long expressed the desire to finish his career there and I think he'd want to do it with style and not be a 42 year old broken down player when he does it.

I can understand the thought process.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 07:39 PM
The Thomas J.*

after seeing the way Jagr has carried himself the past 2 seasons as a player for the Rangers, Its ovious he loves being here, he loves the team, He loves NY. It seems that he was protrayed in a bad light towards the end in Pittsburgh and almost as soon as he was traded to Washington.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Pizza

Home is where the heart is.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:25 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Players like Jaromir Jagr are a RARE breed

WIN NOW

SATHER NEEDS TO ICE A BETTER TEAM

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:43 PM
chappie
lemon snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil333 View Post
Didn't outrigt say he's retiring in two years but definitely gave a strong hint thats what he's thinking.

"Well, it's been for 15 years. It's already behind me," Jagr said with a slight laugh after practice Thursday. "I've got two years left, or whatever, in my hockey career. I'm not going to worry now."

Thought it was worth a discussion. I can't believe someone w. 62 points/51 games only has two years left but I imagine he's pretty tired.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2751083
i think he probably said it sarcastically, as in "people say i only have 2 years left, so i guess..."

but he has said countless times he wants to play til after he is 37, as his father told him that is when he will have his greatest season.

chappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 01:47 PM
cringer

I would love to see Jagr stay with the Rangers beyond this contract, and watch him pass these guys in all-time scoring....

Ray Bourque
Phil Esposito
Mario Lemieux
Steve Yzerman
Marcel Dionne
Ron Francis

and who knows, if he gets that far.... maybe even Howe and Mess.

I would like to see Jagr finish his career as a Ranger and as the #2 scorer in NHL history. That would be sweet, and he can easily do it if he just stays and plays into his late 30's.

Old
02-02-2007, 02:05 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Jagr has one more season on his contract and the Rangers have a option for 08-09 which Jagr can guarantee by reaching incentives which includes the Rangers team performance.He wants to play for Omsk in Siberia

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 02:40 PM
cringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
He wants to play for Omsk in Siberia
He said he was going to play in Russia in 05-06 but returned to the Rangers. Again, I don't even think he knows how long he'll play, or where.

Old
02-02-2007, 03:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cringer View Post
He said he was going to play in Russia in 05-06 but returned to the Rangers. Again, I don't even think he knows how long he'll play, or where.
He returned to the Rangers because he was under contract.

02-02-2007, 05:09 PM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

vCash: 50
The new era of hockey will soon begin once legends like Sakic Jagr Brodeur Shanahan and Forsberg are gone. It'll be a sad day.

TaiMaiShu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 08:29 PM
cringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He returned to the Rangers because he was under contract.
Why would he exclaim to the media then that he was going to play the season in Russia... even after it was known that the NHL was resuming play that season?

Not trying to be a wise guy, I honestly don't know.

Old
02-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

The guy could probably play until 40 and still be great....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 09:15 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

The game has always been a young man's game. I for one will not be sad if Jagr goes home at 36. Messier over staying his time left a very bad taste. It tainted all he did and stood for. In 2 years time this organization should be poised to move ahead. Having Jagr and his posse will be a detriment to that process. In 2 years time the Tyutin, Lundqvist, Staal's etc should be the focal point of the organization. Plus by the 3rd year the older Staal should be a UFA and ready to join his brother on the NYRs.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 09:18 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Two more seasons of Jagr is more than enough.Maybe if Jagr is not around,the Rangers can build their team correctly without having to surround Jagr with his Czech buddies

Old
02-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Kostik

Quote:
Jagr has one more season on his contract and the Rangers have a option for 08-09 which Jagr can guarantee by reaching incentives which includes the Rangers team performance.He wants to play for Omsk in Siberia
No he won't.
He liked it lot in Omsk, it was brand new experience for him.
When he left, he said he will come back to Russia, but i don't think it's the option still. He "fell in love" with NY.
He will stay here and then he will come back to Czech Republic to play for Kladno, his hometown and homeclub, his father is GM.

That's my opinion from various interviews with JJ i read

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 06:13 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
No he won't.
He liked it lot in Omsk, it was brand new experience for him.
When he left, he said he will come back to Russia, but i don't think it's the option still. He "fell in love" with NY.
He will stay here and then he will come back to Czech Republic to play for Kladno, his hometown and homeclub, his father is GM.

That's my opinion from various interviews with JJ i read
I really don't care where he plays after his NHL career is over.The sooner the better as far as I am concerned.Hopefully it's only another season.You can only take the head down and sagging shoulders for so long before you want to

Old
02-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
I really don't care where he plays after his NHL career is over.The sooner the better as far as I am concerned.Hopefully it's only another season.You can only take the head down and sagging shoulders for so long before you want to
And if he was playing as well as last season would you still be saying this? People talk about mood swings with Jagr, but when it comes to 90% of the fans there mood towards him changes more than a womans. I'm one of the fans that actually respects him as a player and realizes **** isnt going his way. Sometimes thats how things happen. Everyone else blames him, like he can just instantly change his play... Sometimes players get in a funk. Why no Shanny bashing after his great start and recent decline in points output?

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 06:15 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeDragFan View Post
And if he was playing as well as last season would you still be saying this? People talk about mood swings with Jagr, but when it comes to 90% of the fans there mood towards him changes more than a womans. I'm one of the fans that actually respects him as a player and realizes **** isnt going his way. Sometimes thats how things happen. Everyone else blames him, like he can just instantly change his play... Sometimes players get in a funk. Why no Shanny bashing after his great start and recent decline in points output?
Jagr is the Rangers captain.Their franchise player.The Rangers are his team.Why shouldn't Jagr hear some criticism?He wants to play his way on the power play.Tom Renney and Brendan Shanahan want more shots while Jagr wants to play a puck possession game.Jagr is the straw which stirs the Rangers drink.Jagr talked about the second half of the season would be Jagr time.In the four games since the break,Jagr has played one good game and three piss poor efforts.For $8.36 million,he needs to being more to the table

Old
02-05-2007, 07:45 AM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
How can you complain about Jagr's salary? What he costs the Rangers isn't much more than a mediocre player like Cullen, or the combined salaries of a couple defensemen who haven't even been able to stay with the team.

Jagr is playing through injuries like he has much of his career, and there are still a lot of games left in the season. The Rangers need to make a deal or two and get back to full strength.

The power play can still use some improvement, but it doesn't help when the opponents are getting twice the PP opportunities lately.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote