HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

I got this feeling...

Old
02-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr__1994 View Post
I know this question has been asked before but here it is again: How much longer are you going to have two of the best goal scorers/players of all time on this team.
As long as the organization can put together an attractive package for a high profile UFA and/or a good enough package to trade for a top player.

You can always take a good team and look to add key pieces to put yourself over the top. The approach for over a decade has been just the opposite. Haphazardly throw the biggest names you can acquire out there, then see if you scrape together a serviceable support staff for them. It's just now how winning teams are built.

It's not a question of hoarding prospects and hoping to ice an entire team of home-grown kids. It's about being careful about selling off assets in search of a miracle cure for a team that may not even make the playoffs, nevermind compete for a Cup.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
As long as the organization can put together an attractive package for a high profile UFA and/or a good enough package to trade for a top player.

You can always take a good team and look to add key pieces to put yourself over the top. The approach for over a decade has been just the opposite. Haphazardly throw the biggest names you can acquire out there, then see if you scrape together a serviceable support staff for them. It's just now how winning teams are built.

It's not a question of hoarding prospects and hoping to ice an entire team of home-grown kids. It's about being careful about selling off assets in search of a miracle cure for a team that may not even make the playoffs, nevermind compete for a Cup.
But, the thing is, that's not how the Rangers have been operating the past three years..They have been devoted to their farm system and development, trading nary a prospect...After the lockout, the team made a huge improvement becaused the Rangers focused on players that they thought would mesh in the new NHL and not just big name...After bowing out in the POS, this past offseason they did not trade kids away or sign mega FAs..Instead they signed some lower talent (and lower priced) that they though could bring the lacking N-S North American grit to the team..A very good plan, but the wrong players!..

And beacuse of that, we have a decent or good team with a major flaw---2nd C (maybe two, if you consider the need for a physical D-man that Ward didn't filll)..I have no problem with the Rangers going for a rental for the rest of the season toplug that hole...

And given the lack of high end OFFENSIVE talent anywhere in the organization, the Rangers better use FA to bring in some high end forwards (remember the age is down to, what, 28?)..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Pizza

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I'm going to refer back to Maloney's radio interview a few weeks ago.

Link: http://wfan.com/topic/play_window.ph...audioId=248531

I've listened to this about 3/4 times now. Some things are very clearly stated. A few examples:

The mandate they were given was to rebuild.

No trades for aging vets with youth going the other way. I.E. Prucha for Ruca, Staal for(less than 100%)Forsberg etc.

The only trades they will make are the ones that involve upgrading their prospects for the future. Translation: Youth for Youth(my read on it)

I don't think they feel much pressure if any to band aid the situation right now. If the right deal is not there then they won't make it.

....and I'm okay with this. I'd rather be a little frustrated now than watch us backslide into the same old mindset which got us exactly nowhere.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote