Nick Bonino

Old
01-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
QOC is absolutely worthless. All it says is who plays the players with the best +/- on the other teams.
This. It drives me nuts.

Gliff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Paul4587

FWIW Bonino has taken on a much larger role than MP22 the past dozen or so games. Right now as in today I would say he's our 2C over MP22 but earlier in the year MP22 was playing more and getting harder matchups at ES.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 02:39 PM
AngelDuck

It doesn't really matter who the 2C is. Hell, right now I think Koivu is our 2nd line center. His line is the 2nd best and he plays a ton at ES. Everyone has a different opinion on who our "2C" is, but the reality is Perrault, Koivu, and Bonino play pretty much even minutes, and all produce about the same at ES.

The thing that is most impressive about Bonino, to me, is how he plays on the power play. This year he's been our best player with the extra man. That's impressive when Fowler, Getzlaf, Perry, and Penner are the other guys on the PP. Bonino has been amazing at winning battles, and is improving on the half wall.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 03:04 PM
Bender66
Send in the clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
I think we put too much stock into labels and the expectations that come with them. If you're talking about how the coaching staff lays out the roster in terms of five on five matchups, Bones is the fourth line center. If you're talking about offensive importance to the whole team he's second considering how important he is on the power play. Who cares? He's on pace right now to score more points than any second line center we've had. Ever. He gets the job done regardless of how he's penciled on the roster. I couldn't be happier with his play.
I think some people have NHL93 syndrome, it's a weird fascination to pigeon hole everyone into their positions on the 4 lines.

Sure, some players have chemistry together like Getz/Perry, Koivu/Cogs, but I'm sure the coaching staff that watches the players every day in practice, and watches tape of that night's opposition has a much better idea of what matchups work and what don't on any given night than us. Especially with this coaching staff, I love the fact that Boudreau's goal is to roll 4 lines. It's so much more fun to watch than RC play favorites while banishing players to the 2 minutes of ice time a game.

Bender66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 03:56 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
It doesn't really matter who the 2C is. Hell, right now I think Koivu is our 2nd line center. His line is the 2nd best and he plays a ton at ES. Everyone has a different opinion on who our "2C" is, but the reality is Perrault, Koivu, and Bonino play pretty much even minutes, and all produce about the same at ES.
That's a good point, the way BB rolls the lines there is no defined 2C and if there was it probably is Koivu.

Old
01-09-2014, 04:25 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 50
Yeah like I put up somewhere before, in the past 9 games (this was 1 or 2 games ago) the ES lines were 1: Getzlaf, 2: Koivu, 3A: Perreault, 3B: Bonino.

And the real thing is that we have plenty of overall ES scoring, being on pace for like the #4 or 5 team since the lockout.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
This. It drives me nuts.
I'll third this. It is a stat that people gravitate to based on name, when it is pretty questionable whether it does as advertised.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 04:23 AM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Bonino is 1 point and 4 goals short of Bobby Ryan.

I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes with more points.

Gliff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 04:28 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
Bonino is 1 point and 4 goals short of Bobby Ryan.

I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes with more points.
I would, but regardless, he's more useful to us than Bobby would have ever been.

Lord Flashheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 11:25 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flashheart View Post
I would, but regardless, he's more useful to us than Bobby would have ever been.
+1. If he doesn't finish out the season, he will already have contributed more than Bobby ever did to any whole year. Bonino is engaged in every game. I wouldn't trade him straight up for Bobby.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 11:42 AM
SupermanPahlsson

Considering the roles that Bonino has had to play in the Ducks lineup in the past (bottom six, non-scoring or limited-scoring center) his development has almost made him into a "lunchpail" player, but with skill. He's working hard every shift from beginning to end, playing valuable minutes, and that's how he's getting these points.

I think it was Penner who included "Bonino for assistant captain" in one of his tweets, and I can't see a legitimate reason as to why that couldn't happen as early as next season.

SupermanPahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 11:50 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanPahlsson View Post
I can't see a legitimate reason as to why that couldn't happen as early as next season.
Because Perry and Beauchemin are both above him in the leadership chart at this stage.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

I'm sure I'll get heat for saying this, but as talented as Perry is, I don't see him as a "leader". I know he has worn the A at times but as long as Getz is wearing the C there really is no need for a second letter on the same line.

Blue collar guys like Bonino and Cogs are great picks for letters, especially since it helps to spread them out so that there is almost always one on the ice at any time.

Old
01-19-2014, 01:30 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I'm sure I'll get heat for saying this, but as talented as Perry is, I don't see him as a "leader". I know he has worn the A at times but as long as Getz is wearing the C there really is no need for a second letter on the same line.

Blue collar guys like Bonino and Cogs are great picks for letters, especially since it helps to spread them out so that there is almost always one on the ice at any time.
mhm i sorta agree with you there. although stripping the A away from perrs is probably not gonna go well lol

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 01:55 PM
Paul4587

Perry sets a pretty good example out there. He goes to the dirty areas, works his ass off and has matured a lot the past few years. Him and Beauchemin are next in line for As when Teemu and Koivu retire.

Old
01-19-2014, 01:59 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

vCash: 633
Wouldn't mind Cogs Bonino with an "A" ... or even Fowler dude has a great attitude/demeanor. But I agree Perry/Beauch are probably next in line.

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Perry sets a pretty good example out there. He goes to the dirty areas, works his ass off and has matured a lot the past few years. Him and Beauchemin are next in line for As when Teemu and Koivu retire.
Yep. He may not be the team's current "leader," but that doesn't mean everyone doesn't shut up and listen when he has something to say.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 09:12 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I agree with the bolded. I love how he plays and I don't in any way mean to put him down. I just don't see him in that role. Maybe it's just me, but while I can understand having your best player be captain, I don't think all of the alternates have to be based on the highest skill or talent level.

I don't disagree with Beauch being one. I see him as a blue collar guy as well, and, playing a lot of minutes on D, he is on the ice a lot. I do think part of the equation is trying to have somebody on the ice almost all the time so you have someone available to "talk" to the refs when need be. Which, in my mind would be a reason why Perry and Gezt having it would be redundant since they are joined at the hip as far as ice time.

Old
01-19-2014, 09:20 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

I remember when the captains were the best leaders, not the best players. Dale Hunter, Dirk Graham, etc.. The concept that all the team leaders have to be high skill guys is a very recent phenomenon.

For the record, I'm not saying Getzlaf isn't a good captain (although I would have said otherwise the first two years he wore the C).

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 09:40 PM
DaGeneral

I like Fowler, Beauch, and Getz with the letters

DaGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:02 AM
mighty all the way

Bonino has 40 pts in 54 games. Pretty damn good. In pace for 60pts. He pretty much replaces Ryan's production while being a center and more effective in the PK.

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote