HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zuccarello Appreciation Thread Part 2

Old
01-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Placid

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by melnyk budget View Post
Non NYR fan curious about this guy's development...

Do you think this is a 'flash in the pan' type season?

or has he been slowly developing over the years and is finally breaking out?

What's making him more successful now than ever before?
The last question is probably the easiest and quickest to answer. He no longer has the "make one single mistake and your a** gets kicked to the AHL" threat hanging over him. He is also playing with more confidence, he gets more ice time, the new system of actually carrying the puck instead of dump & chase suits him better, and so on.

He has been developing for as long as i've watched him (since 2006 or so i think). He is faster and stronger than he was only a couple of years ago. If he has "reached his peak" or if he can still develop further is difficult to say. But with his work ethic, i would assume that he'll get even stronger, and possibly also even faster than what he is today.

As for your first question, no, i dont think he is "overachieving". He managed 0.5 PPG with fewer minutes in a system that he was relatively ill suited to.

Now he gets to use his creativity in a system that suits him better.

Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 06:12 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
Quote:

He's also gotten a lot stronger on the puck since he first came into the league. He's learned how to use his low center of gravity as leverage and that's helped. He reminds me a little of Theo Fluery in that regard. Without the cocaine.

Dr. Ogrodnick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 07:01 PM
Problematique

When do you guys think Zuccarello will clear waivers?

Problematique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 07:06 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Problematique View Post
When do you guys think Zuccarello will clear waivers?
Wat?

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 07:07 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Lock him up lock him up lock him up lock him up.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

Quote:

You're definitely going to get mixed opinions on this question. Zuccarello has been a huge debate for a year or so now.

I don't think this is a flash in the pan. Torts never gave him a chance to succeed. He was sent to the AHL the second he made a bad play or had a bad game, and when he did get to play, he'd play with Boyle and Fedotenko. His game wasn't suited to dump and chase, period.

Since the year has begun, he's noticeably faster than he's ever been, he's got a lot more explosiveness in his stride and he's able to beat a lot of defenders with it. He also wins a lot of board battles for his size, more than some of the bigger forwards on the team. AV really likes him, and has been rewarding him with PK time which he never saw under Torts. His defensive play is much better than before, for sure. He backchecks like a demon, but that's in part due to his improved skating.

He's a much better player than I've ever seen him, and I hope he gets locked up long term.

01-27-2014, 10:15 PM
Captain Monglobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
He's also gotten a lot stronger on the puck since he first came into the league. He's learned how to use his low center of gravity as leverage and that's helped. He reminds me a little of Theo Fluery in that regard. Without the cocaine.
I just had an image of Zuccarello doing a line, scoring a hattrick, and sliding on his knees across center ice in celebration. Thank you.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 11:02 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

zucc has always..ALWAYS shown the talent, what he didn't show was the ability to play in tight spaces with bigger players.

now he's shown that ability. thats what makes him a damn good player, not just skill, but the ability to play bigger than he is. Hagelin is the same way, its not just that he's fast, hes probably our best board player.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 11:06 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemymum View Post
I loved those uniforms. Very Rangeresque. No wonder why he ended up were he did

Here's another pretty amazing one:

On the lap of his team mate to be, ten years or so before they played together in Modo.
Are you sure this wasn't yesterday?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 01:00 AM
Ilovemymum
recreational MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Are you sure this wasn't yesterday?
Hehe. Well, not a 100 % but I guess that picture is from our national arena Jordal Amfi when Forsberg played a game when his dad was the coach. If that's correct, the window behind them has been broken and covered with a black plastic bag since the late nineties. Still our National arena I think though.

Ilovemymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 02:04 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
If you guys think Zucc is good now just wait until he gets back from the olympics with more of his mom's home cooking.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 03:33 AM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlerlee View Post
It's a little risky because to sign him to a long term contract because of his limited NHL experience. However, the player we see now was the player that was being advertised to us when he first came over & we always saw those flashes of brilliance in Zucc's game.

I would say $2.5/4 which would be a decent contract. But I think it's going to be more like $3-3.5 per for year years. Still not a terrible contract.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 04:26 AM
Havre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
It's a little risky because to sign him to a long term contract because of his limited NHL experience. However, the player we see now was the player that was being advertised to us when he first came over & we always saw those flashes of brilliance in Zucc's game.

I would say $2.5/4 which would be a decent contract. But I think it's going to be more like $3-3.5 per for year years. Still not a terrible contract.
You could just as well argue you have only seen the beginning of Zuccarello. Why shouldn't he improve even more?

I could see him signing for less than 3m over 3-4 years, but in my opinion he would be a fool to do so (from an economical point of view at least).

I'm a Canucks fan and we got Higgins and Hansen signing up on fairly long deals at 2.5m. I consider both those contracts fairly decent (even if Higgins probably isn't rated in New York he has done very well for us). However, they aren't even close to Zuccarello in terms of quality. They might not be all that comparable in terms of style, but I doubt that anyone who has watched these players regularly would take Hansen or Higgins over Zuccarello in any situation (I guess Higgins with 30 seconds left defending a lead - that is it).

Havre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 05:49 AM
TigerJack

According to norwegian media, the Rangers and Zuccs´ agents have started talking about a new contract. I don´t know how common it is in the NHL, but it may be a signal that they may want to sign him before the season is over. I was of the impression that this was more common with UFA´s not RFA´s.

Anyway, I think everybody agrees that Zucc is playing for his future. He has played fantastic this season, but there is still 30 games left, and he just cannot afford to fade out in the end of the season, and he need to keep up the good effort in the playoffs if they make it, ande he has already showed that he can handle the playoffs too.

And as a lot of people are saying in here. The reasin he is having a breakout year is simply because AV lets him. I am 100% sure that if Torts was still the coach, Zucc would be done after his weak start to the season. AV scratched him to wake him up, and since then he has never looked back. With a production of 0,8/game since the scratch I would say his game has been acceptable

TigerJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 06:56 AM
Ilovemymum
recreational MD

Think the timing is great as well. Olympic break is up, and after he's signed they can comfortably put him With Nash, Richards or Richards and his production will increase even further, without that being a problem in the negotiations On pace to be a 60 point scorer from the third line, with Pouilout who's a 30 point scorer at his best. Might as well get it over with. That said, running three decent lines is working out fine for the moment. Hope for both parties that he signs long term, rather than at a high price. Could he get a no-trade clause?

Old
01-28-2014, 08:07 AM
Bolanrouz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post

If they give a contract worth $2.5/4 - its a robbery. Why should he have less than Brassard for example? $4/3-4 is what he deserves.

Bolanrouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 08:48 AM
Chimp

This is the kind of Zuke those of us who watched him in SEL knew had a chance to blossom in the NHL. No one doubted his talent and vision once they watched him play I guess. It became apparent very quickly, that he could make plays happen on a more regular basis than perhaps anyone else. He's so good at predicting where the puck will end up, not where it's right now. That's what small players need to succeed, something unique and Zuke has it. Hockeysmarts.

He has made himself a real solid hockey player by working really hard on improving his weaknesses. Like you pointed out, he has become better at using his low point of gravity to more of an advantage and has been very solid in a role of commitment, as well as a skill player. When he has confidence in his game, he's a line carrier and that's pretty damn good by any NHL standard. At least when he plays under a puck carrying strategy such as AV, which is much more a game to his strengths. I'm still very impressed he produced @ a 0.5 PPG under the circumstances he played for Torts.

The now working NYR PP has alot to thank Zuke for that I believe. If he becomes a mix between St. Louis and Fleury, he would instantly become my favourite player. Considering how high his hockey IQ is, who knows how good he can become? I can only agree Zuke should now focus on improving his shot and use it more, then he would be very difficult to contain.

Last edited by Chimp: 01-28-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 09:44 AM
Idlerlee
Always play Richards

vCash: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I can only agree Zuke should now focus on improving his shot and use it more, then he would be very difficult to contain.

With regards to that, I have a sense that his current line will more or less force him to do just that if he wants to keep producing. His production as of late has been all goals since his 2 linemates arent known for their goal scoring, or anything remotely considered consitency. If he remains on that line I would not be surprised at all if he ends up with something like 25g30a when the season wraps up.

Idlerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 09:48 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Zucc just doesn't use his shot much. He has Ozil syndrome. Such a good passer that when he gets into shooting position, all he seems to be able to think about is how much better than other angle over there is. The north american players are so perplexed and not used to seeing that they are frequently surprised by the passes.

Now, sometimes he tries to force the pass when he should shoot. That's my biggest issue with his game.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 09:54 AM
phillyb

but one could argue he's the best passer on the team.
there are definitely times when he should shoot. when he got that pass from brassard the other day, i thought he was going to pass it back instead of burying it past marty

phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 09:55 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Being Zuccarello is restricted, I'd have to think the Rangers are in no rush to get anything done.

Then again, that seems to be the case with any pending free agent.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:00 AM
AlwaysARanger
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Zucc just doesn't use his shot much. He has Ozil syndrome. Such a good passer that when he gets into shooting position, all he seems to be able to think about is how much better than other angle over there is. The north american players are so perplexed and not used to seeing that they are frequently surprised by the passes.

Now, sometimes he tries to force the pass when he should shoot. That's my biggest issue with his game.
I think it has been a lot better. Second goal vs debbies at Yankees Stadium would be a pass 9 times out of 10 if this was the start of the season. It went to an extent where defenders cheated to get in the passing lane, it made me sick how predictable he was. Now? Not so much I think.

AlwaysARanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:40 AM
TigerJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post

Zucc is actually 4th in shots of the forwards. Has a shot percentage of 13.2 only Hagelin is better with 14.8 (Don´t count Carcillo who only has 3 shots so far with 33% shot percentage)

So he actually shoots the puck more than we think

TigerJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 11:23 AM
Ilovemymum
recreational MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJack View Post
Zucc is actually 4th in shots of the forwards. Has a shot percentage of 13.2 only Hagelin is better with 14.8 (Don´t count Carcillo who only has 3 shots so far with 33% shot percentage)

So he actually shoots the puck more than we think
His shot is very good from short range, but I think the stick lenght makes it hard for him to be having the best slap shots. It's a trade-off.

Old
01-28-2014, 11:41 AM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemymum View Post
His shot is very good from short range, but I think the stick lenght makes it hard for him to be having the best slap shots. It's a trade-off.
I have seen him take a couple of real blasts from the point that both rang off the crossbar/post after cleanly beating the goalie. Both times I was surprised and wondered where that power came from. I wish he would take that shot more.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote