HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Thoughts on the Flyers picking up these guys...

Old
02-02-2007, 05:13 PM
FlyersFanMike

vCash: 500
Thoughts on the Flyers picking up these guys...

Just wondering what other fans think of maybe trading for the following players. I tried to keep it reasonable and not too far fetched:

Brandon Bochenski, Martin St. Pierre (Chicago) - Both are very dominant in the AHL right now. I intern for an AHL club and seeing these guys regularly, they're both very impressive. Bochenski has a great shot and did very well in Ottawa for a while before being traded to the Chicago organization. St. Pierre has a good shot, works well against the boards, and seems like he'd be a complete player once he gets more ice time and experience.

Darren Haydar (Atlanta) - Not sure why this guy has only played two games when he's just dominant in the AHL level (89 points in 49 games as I type this in the afternoon of 2/2), especially this year putting up ridiculous numbers. I understand the whole NHL is a completely different league than the AHL, but for the guy to never even get an opportunity is very questionable. He has NHL speed, just does everything very well, and . From all accounts he's not a head case or a Billy Tibbetts-esque player where he has baggage. He's just a dude who plays extremely well at every level of competition he's in. Him to Atlanta for, say, an upcoming UFA like Calder wouldn't be a bad deal. I'd even say Sanderson, but since Haydar is unproven, I wouldn't offer someone that high, but he's a high risk for a real high reward.

Patrick O'Sullivan, Tom Kostopolous (Los Angeles) - O'Sullivan would be a nice fit as another young center in the system that already has many, but can work the wing too. He needs some time to develop still, but so far, I've been nothing but real impressed by the kid.
TK is an absolute work horse, an ironman of sorts, and just a guy who doesn't take a shift off. Would be perfect for a team rolling all four lines. Just a guy that I would LOVE to see in a Flyers uniform.

Bobby Ryan (Anaheim) - I'm sure Burke loves the kid and would really either not give him up no matter what or really want a lot in return, but as a player who'd seem in theory to work well with Carter/Richards/Umberger/Potulny, I'd definately try to at least look at the situation.

Rob Schremp (Edmonton) - Just watching this guy in Wilkes-Barre is awesome, so if the Flyers really want to consider trading Pitkanen (which I hope they DO NOT do) I wouldn't pull the trigger unless this guy (and even M-A Pouliot or J-F Jacques) are a part of the deal.

Josh Harding/Nicklas Backstrom (Minnesota) - Two great goalies in a logjam for backup to Fernandez. If Esche and/or Anderson aren't around next season, maybe try to get one of these guys in a package deal for maybe Kapanen (who'd fit great in Minny's system) or some offensive punch like Knuble or Sanderson.

Top this off with them drafting Kane in the 07 draft and I'd be very happy for next year.

FlyersFanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 05:15 PM
BringBackStevens

You cant just trade for players you like. Lets focus on the players that actually have a shot at being brought in

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 05:21 PM
FlyersFanMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
You cant just trade for players you like. Lets focus on the players that actually have a shot at being brought in
Well, who's to say what players have a shot at being brought in and what players aren't? :\ No offense of course, but that's just an inane post in it's own right.

It's just suggestions of players that might work to better the club and gather thoughts. If people don't like the players, no harm done, they're not really being brought in.

Obviously defense is a big issue as well, should have mentioned a few of them.

Old
02-02-2007, 06:04 PM
SaveByHexy

Your only chance there is Backstrom who is a UFA and I think would make a good backup for Niitty next year

SaveByHexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 06:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanMike View Post
Just wondering what other fans think of maybe trading for the following players. I tried to keep it reasonable and not too far fetched:

Brandon Bochenski, Martin St. Pierre (Chicago) - Both are very dominant in the AHL right now. I intern for an AHL club and seeing these guys regularly, they're both very impressive. Bochenski has a great shot and did very well in Ottawa for a while before being traded to the Chicago organization. St. Pierre has a good shot, works well against the boards, and seems like he'd be a complete player once he gets more ice time and experience.

Darren Haydar (Atlanta) - Not sure why this guy has only played two games when he's just dominant in the AHL level (89 points in 49 games as I type this in the afternoon of 2/2), especially this year putting up ridiculous numbers. I understand the whole NHL is a completely different league than the AHL, but for the guy to never even get an opportunity is very questionable. He has NHL speed, just does everything very well, and . From all accounts he's not a head case or a Billy Tibbetts-esque player where he has baggage. He's just a dude who plays extremely well at every level of competition he's in. Him to Atlanta for, say, an upcoming UFA like Calder wouldn't be a bad deal. I'd even say Sanderson, but since Haydar is unproven, I wouldn't offer someone that high, but he's a high risk for a real high reward.
I think we've learned already what happens when you bring in AHL superstars.

Quote:
Patrick O'Sullivan, Tom Kostopolous (Los Angeles) - O'Sullivan would be a nice fit as another young center in the system that already has many, but can work the wing too. He needs some time to develop still, but so far, I've been nothing but real impressed by the kid.
TK is an absolute work horse, an ironman of sorts, and just a guy who doesn't take a shift off. Would be perfect for a team rolling all four lines. Just a guy that I would LOVE to see in a Flyers uniform.
No chance on Patty O. Just none. Zero. Trust me.

Kostopolous is a fantastic role player, I think we can put him on a shutdown line, he's been good for the Kings. The Kings would be well served to keep him though.

Quote:
Bobby Ryan (Anaheim) - I'm sure Burke loves the kid and would really either not give him up no matter what or really want a lot in return, but as a player who'd seem in theory to work well with Carter/Richards/Umberger/Potulny, I'd definately try to at least look at the situation.
You'd be giving up Carter or Richards to get him. No.

Quote:
Rob Schremp (Edmonton) - Just watching this guy in Wilkes-Barre is awesome, so if the Flyers really want to consider trading Pitkanen (which I hope they DO NOT do) I wouldn't pull the trigger unless this guy (and even M-A Pouliot or J-F Jacques) are a part of the deal.
Not happening.

Quote:
Josh Harding/Nicklas Backstrom (Minnesota) - Two great goalies in a logjam for backup to Fernandez. If Esche and/or Anderson aren't around next season, maybe try to get one of these guys in a package deal for maybe Kapanen (who'd fit great in Minny's system) or some offensive punch like Knuble or Sanderson.

Top this off with them drafting Kane in the 07 draft and I'd be very happy for next year.
Backstrom is feasible. I think he is really good as a backup for Minnesota, but the Flyers have to bring him in to see if he can be a #1.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 06:18 PM
TheKingPin

i have heard reports that the flyers may be able to get Bobby Ryan for Forsberg as thier is limited room on the Ducks team for a guy like Ryan.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 09:49 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanMike View Post
From my understanding, Schremp is not having an easy time adjusting to the AHL, so no thanks. We've seen enough of guys that aren't ready for the NHL and who are impossible to forecast their arrival time.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 09:53 PM
IranCondraAffair

Don't waste your time thinking about Bochenski unless his skating has improved. The book on BoBo is pretty thin.

"Great shot...not much else"

The Sens traded him beacuase they already had an AHL star (Hamel) who couldn't cut it on a big league scoring line. Unless you're going to sign Jason Allison to feed him passes you're probably going to be disappointed. His production probbably isn't enough to keep him in the NHL.

Better hockey minds than ourselves would have taken a chance on him by now if they thought differently.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 09:58 PM
FlyersFanMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
From my understanding, Schremp is not having an easy time adjusting to the AHL, so no thanks. We've seen enough of guys that aren't ready for the NHL and who are impossible to forecast their arrival time.
Yeah, the coach here has really put his foot down on his work lately, making him a healthy scratch a few times. He's going to be an good player though, he's shown it in some situations. I think it'll be a few more years though before he's an NHL regular. Point was though with the whole Schremp deal was that if this whole rumor of the Oilers wanting Pitkanen was to come about, I would much rather see the Flyers be aggressive and get someone like him instead of Raffi Torres.

And if anything else, the Flyers can loan him to the Barrage or Wings