HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With the 1st Overall Pick, The Philadelpha Flyers pick John Tavares

Old
02-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Tb0ne

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Tb0ne
With the 1st Overall Pick, The Philadelpha Flyers pick John Tavares

As a Canucks fan partially suprised at where his team is in the standings, I have to say it is a shame to see Philadelphia brought so low. And that is even after Bobby Clarke messed up our salary cap situation with his Kesler offersheet.
I ask though are you all holding out some hope of bombing another season to try to win the Tavares lottery?
I realise he's not eligible until 2009, but given that he barely misses the cutoff and that he seems poised to dominate the CHL/OHL next season like no player since Crosby, I would be shocked if the NHL doesn't move the cutoff date.

And funny how that worked out, Pittsburgh lost Lemieux to age, injuries and illness, and then they got Crosby.
Then Philly misses out on the player Lindros might have been due to concusions and various other injuries, and then they get John Tavares.

I wouldn't wish your season on any team, but Tavares might be one hell of a get well soon gift.

Tb0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 04:49 PM
watson

with the 1st overall pick, the Philadelphia Flyers select....

um, whats his name again?

oh yeah....

I miss Bob Clarke and his "moments" and "quotes"

watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 04:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
No.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 04:57 PM
boredmale

law of averages say Philly will be picking second

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tb0ne View Post
I realise he's not eligible until 2009, but given that he barely misses the cutoff and that he seems poised to dominate the CHL/OHL next season like no player since Crosby, I would be shocked if the NHL doesn't move the cutoff date.
I don't think the NHL will do that, if i am Correct AO was 4 days short of being elidgable for the 2003 draft.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 04:59 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tb0ne View Post
As a Canucks fan partially suprised at where his team is in the standings, I have to say it is a shame to see Philadelphia brought so low. And that is even after Bobby Clarke messed up our salary cap situation with his Kesler offersheet.

I ask though are you all holding out some hope of bombing another season to try to win the Tavares lottery?

And funny how that worked out, Pittsburgh lost Lemieux to age, injuries and illness, and then they got Crosby.
Then Philly misses out on the player Lindros might have been due to concusions and various other injuries, and then they get John Tavares.

I wouldn't wish your season on any team, but Tavares might be one hell of a get well soon gift.

I must have missed the media reports of the Canucks with a gun to their head matching our offer.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Tb0ne

Send a message via MSN to Tb0ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
I must have missed the media reports of the Canucks with a gun to their head matching our offer.
Obviously I didn't mean any offense by that, I was mostly kidding.

Quote:
I don't think the NHL will do that, if i am Correct AO was 4 days short of being elidgable for the 2003 draft.
Thing is AO wasn't playing in the CHL, there was no one looking at his numbers in the RSL and saying, well he's on the same statistical pace as Soviet Gretzky was at the same age, having him in the RSL again would be a waste of time.
Ovechkin may have been one of the best players in the league, but Tavares by age 17 might well be leading the OHL by 50-75 points.. whereas Ovechkin was just trying to reach a PPG pace in a league full of men and only the best young Russian prospects like Malkin.

Again it all depends on what sorts of numbers Tavares puts up next season, because if he dominates the league his parents are going to start up with the, "Our son has nowhere to play next season", that they used to get the OHL exemption in the first place by threatening to go to the USHL.

Tb0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 05:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Everyone knew about Ovechkin 3-4 years out. Ovechkin wasn't in the CHL but Tavares isn't garnering the attention Ovechkin was getting in 2002

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 06:29 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Tavares isnt eligible 'til the 2009 draft

we better not suck 'til then

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 07:15 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Flyers_ View Post
Tavares isnt eligible 'til the 2009 draft

we better not suck 'til then
yea i agree. maybe in a no cap world, but wit ha cap it dosent pay to have multiple first rounders that are really god because by the time they are at the point of dominating in the playoffs they are UFA. we are going to be first place in the Atlantic next year. No more losing seasons.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

The way the Flyers season is going, I bet if they landed the first overall pick he'd get injured walking up to the podium.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:57 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Everyone knew about Ovechkin 3-4 years out. Ovechkin wasn't in the CHL but Tavares isn't garnering the attention Ovechkin was getting in 2002
yeah i remember hearing stories of AO back around that time. They refered to him like a combination of Lemieux and Nolan

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 11:09 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
The way the Flyers season is going, I bet if they landed the first overall pick he'd get injured walking up to the podium.
Shhh.... that's enough of that! Don't even THINK it.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Slitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
law of averages say Philly will be picking second
You make it sound like getting Andrei Kuchin is a bad thing.

Slitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 11:37 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty View Post
The golden locks of Oleg Kvasha, lest we forget the glory days.
Now I've seen it all.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote