HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey to discuss officiating with NHL

Old
02-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve penney View Post
i told ya so
discussing with league officials and filing a complaint to the league is 2 different things.

I'm sorry but I don't buy your "my girlfriend is friends with Chris Higgins girlfriend" story.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 08:08 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
discussing with league officials and filing a complaint to the league is 2 different things.

I'm sorry but I don't buy your "my girlfriend is friends with Chris Higgins girlfriend" story.
Why would two girls be talking about the Habs filing a complaint to the NHL, anyway. The story lacks credibility to begin with. I figure it went something like this:

Higgins: "Oh geez, today was so hard. None of the calls went our way. We're gonna file a complaint to the NHL."
- later -
Hig's girlfriend: "Yeah he was good. Rocked my world."
Penney's girlfriend: "I wish I was that satisfied."
Hig's girlfriend: "Oh, by the way, the Habs are filing a complaint about the officiating to the NHL."
Penney's girlfriend: "Oh wow my Internet boyfriend will be really excited to hear this! I'll tell him right away so he can beat the news services by telling some die-hard Hab fans and become UBERLEET! So.. Chris said he'd pick me up at 7pm on Monday for our date?"

You know.. normal girl talk.

02-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:
What diference will it makes anyway...This won't change anything at all...
I look at it that it's like arguing with baseball umpires. You know they're not going to change the call....you're arguing for the next one.

Gainey carries a certain amount of influence and I can pretty much guarantee that there won't be any 7 minute PP's on Sunday

Last edited by Nashy: 02-02-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 08:56 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovForNorris View Post
Sorry for my ignorance, but is Gainey back in the GM spot after the tragedy he went through? I thought Pierre Gauthier was given the GM duties?
He's been back since around the end of December.

I have no problem with Gainey meeting with the league to discuss the officiating in this game. I'm still trying to figure out how the Penguins got no penalties on that play.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 09:02 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
I though they said at the all-star break that Higgins was single?

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 09:04 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
lol that's true! I remember that!

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Jaded-Fan

Before Carbonneau mounts that high horse he had better make sure that he has answers for coming close to admitting that he intentionally sent a player out to injure Crosby because he was not pleased that Therrien started the Crosby line against his checking line:

Therrien said Canadiens coach Guy Carbonneau started his fourth line against the Penguins' top unit, and he took that as a premeditated move to attack Crosby, the league's leading scorer. Carbonneau seemed to corroborate that theory when he responded by questioning Therrien for sending Crosby out to start the game against a Montreal checking line.

"You don't like to see those things," Therrien said. "I'd rather keep my comments to myself, but we see more and more of Sidney receiving cheap shots during games, and it's got to stop. He's the best player in the league, and he's going to be that player ... The focus is on him, and in the meantime, we ask that the league has got to protect players like this.

http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2.../d8n1r0401.txt

Last edited by Jaded-Fan: 02-02-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 09:28 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Before Carbonneau mounts that high horse he had better make sure that he has answers for coming close to admitting that he intentionally sent a player out to injure Crosby because he was not pleased that Therrien started the Crosby line against his checking line:

Therrien said Canadiens coach Guy Carbonneau started his fourth line against the Penguins' top unit, and he took that as a premeditated move to attack Crosby, the league's leading scorer. Carbonneau seemed to corroborate that theory when he responded by questioning Therrien for sending Crosby out to start the game against a Montreal checking line.

"You don't like to see those things," Therrien said. "I'd rather keep my comments to myself, but we see more and more of Sidney receiving cheap shots during games, and it's got to stop. He's the best player in the league, and he's going to be that player ... The focus is on him, and in the meantime, we ask that the league has got to protect players like this.

http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2.../d8n1r0401.txt
Your link doesn't work and your text proves absolutely nothing. If all Carbo said was something like "Therrien shouldn't have sent out Crosby's line against our checking line", then it's pretty tough to skew that into Carbo saying "I instructed my checking line to injure Crosby".

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 09:34 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

It's hard to send out a line against anyone when the home team has the last change. Therrien put Crosby out against Lapierre, not the other way around.

Old
02-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
It's hard to send out a line against anyone when the home team has the last change. Therrien put Crosby out against Lapierre, not the other way around.
I just quoted the article. But you can talk to or gesture your intentions to a player w/o changing lines.

Old
02-02-2007, 09:49 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I just quoted the article. But you can talk to or gesture your intentions to a player w/o changing lines.
Either way I don't really care. Crosby dropped like a sack of pucks because he's a *****, he (and his entire team) got Lapierre backthroughout the night. Lapierre's line played Crosby's pretty well all night. It was impressive. Crosby got his points on the PP.

Old
02-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovForNorris View Post
Sorry for my ignorance, but is Gainey back in the GM spot after the tragedy he went through? I thought Pierre Gauthier was given the GM duties?
He's been back for a couple weeks.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

As far as I am concerned, what the Habs lack is bit of nastiness in their game. .
The Habs WERE nasty last night.
A great team effort got them a point

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Either way I don't really care. Crosby dropped like a sack of pucks because he's a *****, he (and his entire team) got Lapierre backthroughout the night. Lapierre's line played Crosby's pretty well all night. It was impressive. Crosby got his points on the PP.
I'm curious as to what you suppose Crosby should do when he gets butt-ended. As I see it, his only options are:

(1) Keep taking those sorts of shots and play through them without embellishment, though i'm sure they'd have a cumulative effect and start affecting his game.

Pass.

(2) Stand up for himself and start fighting, though i can't see the Penguins wanting to lose their best player for 5 + a 2min instigator, nevermind if he ended up hurting his hand or something in the fight. Not a risk I'd want him to take.

(3) Return his own cheapshot, though even if he does get a guy like Lapierre with a slewfoot like he did last night, it's quite obvious that most times he'll get called for a penalty, and even if he doesn't, a tit for tat with some 3rd liner isn't exactly fair based on player value. An injured Crosby is far worse than an injured Lapierre.

(4) Embellish

Seems a pretty easy choice to me.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
I'm curious as to what you suppose Crosby should do when he gets butt-ended. As I see it, his only options are:

(1) Keep taking those sorts of shots and play through them without embellishment, though i'm sure they'd have a cumulative effect and start affecting his game.

Pass.

(2) Stand up for himself and start fighting, though i can't see the Penguins wanting to lose their best player for 5 + a 2min instigator, nevermind if he ended up hurting his hand or something in the fight. Not a risk i'd want to take.

(3) Return his own cheapshot, though even if he does get a guy like Lapierre with a slewfoot like he did last night, it's quite obvious that most times he'll get called for a penalty, and even if he doesn't, a tit for tat with some 3rd liner isn't exactly fair based on player value. An injured Crosby is far worse than an injured Lapierre.

(4) Embellish

You must like soccer.

Old
02-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:

Pass.

(2) Stand up for himself and start fighting, though i can't see the Penguins wanting to lose their best player for 5 + a 2min instigator, nevermind if he ended up hurting his hand or something in the fight. Not a risk I'd want him to take.

(4) Embellish

You forgot choice (5): In response send Army out later in the game to crush the opposing team's star player and hope that the message gets out that the Pens are not going to put up with it.

Old
02-02-2007, 10:25 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Pass.

(4) Embellish

Well I agree with you, I actually condone embellishment. It's a good play. At the same time there's no way Lapierre hit him hard enough to make him drop like a sack of crap (and IMO, hence the no-call).

He's just not doing himself any favours by dropping that easily (Blake's spear as another case). If he wanted his team to win, he'd stick through it and draw the penalties anyway. How is dropping like that helping?

FWIW Crosby wouldn't get an instigator in that situation. It would just be a fighting major.

Old
02-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
haha, that StevePenny poster just got pwned.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:39 PM
NewGuy

Quote:
If Carbonneau wanted to take Crosby out, he could of told Garth Murray to break his arm. Lapierre's little butt end was likely his own doing, he didn't get over 200 PIMs in the AHL last year by being an angel.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Well I agree with you, I actually condone embellishment. It's a good play. At the same time there's no way Lapierre hit him hard enough to make him drop like a sack of crap (and IMO, hence the no-call).

He's just not doing himself any favours by dropping that easily (Blake's spear as another case). If he wanted his team to win, he'd stick through it and draw the penalties anyway. How is dropping like that helping?

FWIW Crosby wouldn't get an instigator in that situation. It would just be a fighting major.
Right. So he didn't drop like a sack of pucks because he's a *****, he dropped like a sack of pucks because he's a smart player who was exaggerating a butt-end that likely should have been a penalty. He wanted to make sure the refs saw it, but he just has to refine his acting skills a little.

As I see it, he did the right thing by trying to make the refs aware of what Lapierre did to him, and what Blake did in that NYI game (which was a blatant spear away from the play - there's no need for that). Crosby takes more abuse than any other player in the league - if he didn't embellish, he'd be taking even more punishment, and likely missing games as a result.

Hard to say about the instigator; if the refs didn't see what happened initially, as happens about 90% of the time, he could get the extra 2. Regardless, I think we can both agree that Lapierre going off for 5 and Crosby going off for 5 isn't the sort of trade-off that any responsible Pens player or coach is going to want to make.

Old
02-02-2007, 10:54 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSDHab View Post
You must like soccer.
I was captain of my high-school team, actually. Can't stand watching it though; bores me to tears.

Old
02-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Quote:
I was captain of my high-school team, actually. Can't stand watching it though; bores me to tears.
I hear ya...only time I watch is during the WC

Old
02-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Why quote it and post it here? It's obvious that the author (and maybe you too ) has no idea what "corroborate" means.

Unless you're just trolling, which would fit your style.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
Why quote it and post it here? It's obvious that the author (and maybe you too ) has no idea what "corroborate" means.

Unless you're just trolling, which would fit your style.
Personal attacks instead of addressing the issue. Your style I guess, as every post you have ever made that I am involved in always refers to me rather than the subject. I leave it to others to judge whose style is better.

Old
02-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:

Pass.

(4) Embellish

Option 5 - get Pens to acquire Sheldon Souray in the off-season.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote