HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey to discuss officiating with NHL

Old
02-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
Option 5 - get Pens to acquire Sheldon Souray in the off-season.
No thank you.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Personal attacks instead of addressing the issue. Your style I guess, as every post you have ever made that I am involved in always refers to me rather than the subject. I leave it to others to judge whose style is better.
Your blurb makes no sense at all from a hockey perspective. Why would you post that nonsense unless you were trying to provoke people?

You see, I did address the central issue -- which is that you make cheap shot posts and then claim to be persecuted for making a perfectly valid point when you get called out.

As for my style, posters here know that I don't attack people for no reason. And as for picking on you, I'm sorry that I have a long memory from your time in the Political Discussion forum. You're just doing the same thing here by trying to bait Habs fans on a Habs board after last night's game. It's gutless but sort of funny that you try to turn it into an issue of my style, which could be taken as a subtle kind of personal attack, if I thought you were clever enough to think of it.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 12:28 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
Your blurb makes no sense at all from a hockey perspective. Why would you post that nonsense unless you were trying to provoke people?

You see, I did address the central issue -- which is that you make cheap shot posts and then claim to be persecuted for making a perfectly valid point when you get called out.

As for my style, posters here know that I don't attack people for no reason. And as for picking on you, I'm sorry that I have a long memory from your time in the Political Discussion forum. You're just doing the same thing here by trying to bait Habs fans on a Habs board after last night's game. It's gutless but sort of funny that you try to turn it into an issue of my style, which could be taken as a subtle kind of personal attack, if I thought you were clever enough to think of it.
Ahhh, the politics board. Makes sense now. I never baited there, some of the mods from that board have long memories too and will back me on that. My opinions were not always popular (I backed Bush) but I got on well with most and kind of enjoyed being in a small small minority. I actually got on well with most, even those I disagreed with. You seem to carry a grudge a long time though.

And by the way, having an opposing POV is not trolling. Even an unpopular one.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 01:04 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Ahhh, the politics board. Makes sense now. I never baited there, some of the mods from that board have long memories too and will back me on that. My opinions were not always popular (I backed Bush) but I got on well with most and kind of enjoyed being in a small small minority. I actually got on well with most, even those I disagreed with. You seem to carry a grudge a long time though.

And by the way, having an opposing POV is not trolling. Even an unpopular one.
It's no grudge. It's just recognition of what you're doing. Then, as now, you'd poke people with a pointy stick and then feign surprise when they would sometimes snarl.

But maybe you're not actually trying to provoke people with trash dressed up as "opposing opinion" (which is trolling). If that's the case, then I've given you more credit than I ought to have. I sincerely thought (for instance) that you could see the manifest absurdity that Carbonneau "corroborated" the allegation that Lapierre schemed to hurt Crosby by pointing out that Therrien had the last change. (What a fiendish trap! Carbonneau is a master tactician!)

I'm sorry for overestimating you, and I thank you for your contributions, past and present.

Old
02-03-2007, 01:10 AM
HF-Addict

Quote:
You forgot choice (5): In response send Army out later in the game to crush the opposing team's star player and hope that the message gets out that the Pens are not going to put up with it.
I loved it when Koivu crushed Armstrong later in the game Koivu can take care of himself

Of course, having Souray on your team help.

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 01:14 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
I loved it when Koivu crushed Armstrong later in the game Koivu can take care of himself

Of course, having Souray on your team help.
Which is part of the game. I am sure that Army expected it and had no problem with it at all.

Old
02-03-2007, 01:20 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
It's no grudge. It's just recognition of what you're doing. Then, as now, you'd poke people with a pointy stick and then feign surprise when they would sometimes snarl.

But maybe you're not actually trying to provoke people with trash dressed up as "opposing opinion" (which is trolling). If that's the case, then I've given you more credit than I ought to have. I sincerely thought (for instance) that you could see the manifest absurdity that Carbonneau "corroborated" the allegation that Lapierre schemed to hurt Crosby by pointing out that Therrien had the last change. (What a fiendish trap! Carbonneau is a master tactician!)

I'm sorry for overestimating you, and I thank you for your contributions, past and present.
Please. It was obvious that the game plan was to try and get under the Pens' skin by hitting after the whistle and especially trying to get under Crosby's skin. Why I have no clue, he historically lights teams up when they do that, but that seemed to be the game plan. Not just to me but to Therrien too who 'has had enough with the cheap shots':

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_491612.html

Lapierre obviously was part of that, and I for one highly doubt that the spear was entirely on his own initiative. As implied in the article. You can disagree, but to have the opinion that I do is hardly trolling. And throwing that term, 'trolling', out there merely distracts from legit discussion and is the very thing you accuse me of. The little snide comments thrown my way about overestimating my intellignece are hardly helpful to keeping conversation flowing either.

Old
02-03-2007, 01:50 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Please. It was obvious that the game plan was to try and get under the Pens' skin by hitting after the whistle and especially trying to get under Crosby's skin. Why I have no clue, he historically lights teams up when they do that, but that seemed to be the game plan. Not just to me but to Therrien too who 'has had enough with the cheap shots':

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_491612.html

Lapierre obviously was part of that, and I for one highly doubt that the spear was entirely on his own initiative. As implied in the article. You can disagree, but to have the opinion that I do is hardly trolling. And throwing that term, 'trolling', out there merely distracts from legit discussion and is the very thing you accuse me of. The little snide comments thrown my way about overestimating my intellignece are hardly helpful to keeping conversation flowing either.
In all seriousness, I'm sure Therrien has seen enough cheap shots against Crosby to be plenty upset. But I just don't think there's any reason to think Carbonneau was behind it. As you rightly point out, Crosby has a reptutation for lighting teams up that pull a Hatcher hatchet job on him. Also, Carbonneau has to be worried about his own players, like Koivu. Respect is reciprocal, and cheap shots are retaliatory. Carbonneau, Muller, Jarvis and Gainey all know that because they played in the league so long.

As some other posters kind of mentioned, Lapierre is the closest thing the Habs have to a dirty little pest. He's been up and down the past couple of months, and he's doing whatever he can to win a permanent job. I'm sure he got real excited when he saw Therrien send out Crosby for the opening face-off. He probably thought to himself that it was a chance to get Crosby off his game or remind him of their rivalry from the Q or whatever.

I just think that the conspiracy theory is as likely as saying that every time Ruutu pulls some stunt, Therrien was behind it. Ruutu is an accomplished enough pest that he doesn't need his coach to tell him to run Markov into the boards, for instance. Lapierre is striving to be in that class of dirty little pests that everyone hates, but also needs and loves to have one on their team.

There's also a bit of gamesmanship from Therrien. Again, he's seen lots of cheap shots against Crosby, who right now is probably the best player in the NHL. This whole incident is a great way to draw attention to the issue. Therrien is a bit of a loudmouth, but he's not dumb (he was inexperienced in Montreal and made some mistakes because of it, but oh well...). He knows that by floating this conspiracy theory he takes some of the pressure off his players by attracting controversy to himself heading into a key rematch this Sunday.

Old
02-03-2007, 02:00 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
In all seriousness, I'm sure Therrien has seen enough cheap shots against Crosby to be plenty upset. But I just don't think there's any reason to think Carbonneau was behind it. As you rightly point out, Crosby has a reptutation for lighting teams up that pull a Hatcher hatchet job on him. Also, Carbonneau has to be worried about his own players, like Koivu. Respect is reciprocal, and cheap shots are retaliatory. Carbonneau, Muller, Jarvis and Gainey all know that because they played in the league so long.

As some other posters kind of mentioned, Lapierre is the closest thing the Habs have to a dirty little pest. He's been up and down the past couple of months, and he's doing whatever he can to win a permanent job. I'm sure he got real excited when he saw Therrien send out Crosby for the opening face-off. He probably thought to himself that it was a chance to get Crosby off his game or remind him of their rivalry from the Q or whatever.

I just think that the conspiracy theory is as likely as saying that every time Ruutu pulls some stunt, Therrien was behind it. Ruutu is an accomplished enough pest that he doesn't need his coach to tell him to run Markov into the boards, for instance. Lapierre is striving to be in that class of dirty little pests that everyone hates, but also needs and loves to have one on their team.

There's also a bit of gamesmanship from Therrien. Again, he's seen lots of cheap shots against Crosby, who right now is probably the best player in the NHL. This whole incident is a great way to draw attention to the issue. Therrien is a bit of a loudmouth, but he's not dumb (he was inexperienced in Montreal and made some mistakes because of it, but oh well...). He knows that by floating this conspiracy theory he takes some of the pressure off his players by attracting controversy to himself heading into a key rematch this Sunday.

I took Therrien's own words from the article (premeditated attack on Crosby) as well as how the game was played, though some of that was attributable to the predictable aftermatth of Lapierre pulling that stunt at the opening face off. If it was not Army crushing Koivu it would have been something else. But the Habs as a team seemed to play beyond the whistle all night. My observation. Again, you can disagree and I have no problem with that. But to call it trolling and to attack my intelligence is crossing the line.

Old
02-03-2007, 02:21 AM
Complaining Customer

Quote:
Which is part of the game. I am sure that Army expected it and had no problem with it at all.
I'm sure he doesn't have a problem with Koivu hitting him either (as he faces better hitters every game). Seriously though, Armstrong doesn't want to fight Souray. If there is a re-match of that no-fight, he'll get killed.

Complaining Customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 06:18 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

"You don't like to see those things," Therrien said. "I'd rather keep my comments to myself, but we see more and more of Sidney receiving cheap shots during games, and it's got to stop. He's the best player in the league, and he's going to be that player ... The focus is on him, and in the meantime, we ask that the league has got to protect players like this.

You don't think they've been doing that enough already...?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 07:04 AM
As the Glorious Weep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
"You don't like to see those things," Therrien said. "I'd rather keep my comments to myself, but we see more and more of Sidney receiving cheap shots during games, and it's got to stop. He's the best player in the league, and he's going to be that player ... The focus is on him, and in the meantime, we ask that the league has got to protect players like this.

You don't think they've been doing that enough already...?
Meanwhile, it seems to be open season on Saku Koivu.

As the Glorious Weep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by As the Glorious Weep View Post
Meanwhile, it seems to be open season on Saku Koivu.
Not just Koivu. It's always open season on Kovalev's knee, Johnson's knee, Markov's back...

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Complaining Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
Not just Koivu. It's always open season on Kovalev's knee, Johnson's knee, Markov's back...
Maybe you're a little paranoid.

Complaining Customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complaining Customer View Post
Maybe you're a little paranoid.
After the game this afternoon, can you blame me?

This afternoon you witnessed the NHL's response to complaints about the officiating. Complain and we will target you even more.

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Bob in Niagara

Exactly. It was ridiculous officiating once again. The league obviously had a vendetta against the Habs today, perhaps to "teach them a lesson" about questioning the refs. If this is true, this league is a farce. The refs stink and SHOULD be called out for it.

Bob in Niagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 07:54 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
What was funny was the non-call on Kneeing on Kovalev in today's game.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote