HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Oil Kings '13-'14 Thread: WHL CHAMPIONS!

View Poll Results: Do you like the Oil Kings new jerseys?
Yes 48 57.83%
No 22 26.51%
Unsure 13 15.66%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2014, 12:16 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Kind of off topic but keep up the great job on the pipelineshow! I've listened to all the draft eligible interviews and the scout it out loud segments
Thank you, sir. Much appreciated. Jayce Hawryluk is in the 2014 Draft spotlight tonight.

01-28-2014, 03:14 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Great game to go to, kids had a blast

01-28-2014, 05:00 PM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

Was thinking of going today, but then someone mentioned it's Hockey Hookey or whatever and passed. I'm already not a fan of them primarily marketing to kids (it just creates a crappy game atmosphere).

Old
01-28-2014, 07:13 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

I went to the Saturday night game, and boy did I leave happy. 3 tickets for $65. Can't get one Oiler ticket for that price unless it's a gallery seat against Columbus, and the Oilers' effort doesn't justify that purpose most of the time.

These kids just have so much energy, and they make more mistakes, which you'd think hinders the experience, but it really makes it more exciting.

Yes, there really aren't any guys with the skill of Taylor Hall, but on the whole, it's a better use of your money.

Old
01-29-2014, 08:40 AM
jdd4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOiklRising View Post
Was thinking of going today, but then someone mentioned it's Hockey Hookey or whatever and passed. I'm already not a fan of them primarily marketing to kids (it just creates a crappy game atmosphere).
They haven't really been doing the marketing to primarily kids thing (with a few exceptions such as yesterday) in a few years. Gone are the days of singing slugs and other annoying crap on the jumbotron. It's more marketed now more towards people who want to watch a winning team and families of all ages.

That being said... good choice not going yesterday. There was somewhere in the neighbourhood of 11k people there with no upper concourse concessions open, about half of the lower concourse concessions open, and one concession open downstairs in the lounge area - and the game was over lunch time. I had to wait in line from the 10 minute mark to the end of the second period to get a slice of pizza. I will be glad when Northlands and DMC doesn't run the food and beverage portion in the new barn.

Old
01-29-2014, 10:05 AM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdd4 View Post
They haven't really been doing the marketing to primarily kids thing (with a few exceptions such as yesterday) in a few years. Gone are the days of singing slugs and other annoying crap on the jumbotron. It's more marketed now more towards people who want to watch a winning team and families of all ages.
That's good to hear. I remember going to some games early on and just hating the atmosphere. It was such a shock going to Calgary to see Kelowna play the Hitmen in the WHL Finals that year and seeing a more adult environment.

Old
01-29-2014, 10:07 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOiklRising View Post
That's good to hear. I remember going to some games early on and just hating the atmosphere. It was such a shock going to Calgary to see Kelowna play the Hitmen in the WHL Finals that year and seeing a more adult environment.
Dont be fooled. Nothing has changed. Its still very much kid-centric. The only way out of it is to buy season tickets in the club section. Coincidentally the most expensive seats in the house.

The product on the ice is fantastic.

Everything else is ****.

Wouldnt expect anything more from Katz/Northlands.

Old
01-29-2014, 10:40 AM
jdd4

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Dont be fooled. Nothing has changed. Its still very much kid-centric. The only way out of it is to buy season tickets in the club section. Coincidentally the most expensive seats in the house.

The product on the ice is fantastic.

Everything else is ****.

Wouldnt expect anything more from Katz/Northlands.
I really think it's improved greatly over the "only one beer allowed" days, but I am in the Founder's Club section so maybe I'm just insulated from the annoying stuff. Truth be told, I spend most of the time between plays talking to the people around me anyways...

The games have been fantastic though the past few years. I really like how this years team has gelled so well. The high end talent isn't there like it was last year, but they've retooled a bit to be a heavier team. I've seen a few teams try and dominate us by being physical which is how Portland beat us last year, but this year our scoring lines have the ability to go out there and hit 'em back and create chances with physical play and score garbage goals around the net.

Old
02-06-2014, 01:33 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

OKs won their 9th straight game tonight against Kamloops.

The hardest stretch of their schedule is coming up to end the season though as they will face Kelowna, Red Deer, Calgary, Medicine Hat and other playoff teams multiple times to end the season.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
02-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
OKs won their 9th straight game tonight against Kamloops.

The hardest stretch of their schedule is coming up to end the season though as they will face Kelowna, Red Deer, Calgary, Medicine Hat and other playoff teams multiple times to end the season.
It's not that tough. They have tomorrow's game against Kelowna and one more home game against Calgary and that's it for games against upper echelon teams. After that there's 2 games against Vancouver and 3 against Medicine Hat. However there's also one each against the four worst teams in the Eastern Conference. The remaining 9 games are against middling teams. After this weekend's games in Kelowna and Vancouver their schedule is actually pretty nice with 10 home games, 4 other Alberta games, and one 4 game road trip through Saskatchewan and to Brandon.

Old
02-06-2014, 03:58 PM
40oz

Calgary's hit a bit of a rough patch, but coming back from being down 5-1 to win in OT last night is pretty incredible.

Also, good to see the Oil Kings crack the CHL top 10 for the past couple of weeks.

Old
02-06-2014, 04:08 PM
edmontonfan59

Anyone got Grades for the guys as they head into the final 20 games and what they may need to work on for the Playoffs?

Old
02-06-2014, 04:57 PM
MoneyGuy

Moroz is, I think, tied with Lazar in goals. Lazar missed some games but this has been an awesome season for Moroz. If he can improve his skating, score some goals and be the **** disturber and tough guy we need, he could be a real find for the Oilers.

Old
02-06-2014, 06:29 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Moroz is, I think, tied with Lazar in goals. Lazar missed some games but this has been an awesome season for Moroz. If he can improve his skating, score some goals and be the **** disturber and tough guy we need, he could be a real find for the Oilers.
He is having a good season. Interestingly enough, he his having a similar season Clifford had in Junior (29 goals vs 28), and both play a similar role. Hopefully Moroz can fill that role.

Oilers have 3 of the top 20 goal scorers in the WHL
13. Greg Chase 29 goals
14 . Moroz 29 goals
18. Houck 27 goals

Hopefully this crop of potential bottom sixers fairs better than Hamilton in the pros. My money is on Chase

Old
02-08-2014, 12:21 AM
MoneyGuy

Wow, it must have been a good game. OKs win in a shootout in Kelowna over the WHL's top team. Moroz gets the only shootout goal. This team is really good and Moroz looks like a really good prospect. I'm getting the playoff package again.

Old
02-08-2014, 03:56 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Wow, it must have been a good game. OKs win in a shootout in Kelowna over the WHL's top team. Moroz gets the only shootout goal. This team is really good and Moroz looks like a really good prospect. I'm getting the playoff package again.
10 in a row for the Oil Kings. That is a heck of a streak.

Old
02-08-2014, 07:15 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
10 in a row for the Oil Kings. That is a heck of a streak.
Hard thing to do when you play Calgary twice and Kelowna in that 10-game period.

Old
02-08-2014, 01:16 PM
Brewster

Apparently it was quite the chippy game. Kudos to the Kings on another excellent streak.

Old
02-08-2014, 03:17 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
He is having a good season. Interestingly enough, he his having a similar season Clifford had in Junior (29 goals vs 28), and both play a similar role. Hopefully Moroz can fill that role.

Oilers have 3 of the top 20 goal scorers in the WHL
13. Greg Chase 29 goals
14 . Moroz 29 goals
18. Houck 27 goals

Hopefully this crop of potential bottom sixers fairs better than Hamilton in the pros. My money is on Chase
fare

Old
02-08-2014, 11:41 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

OKs just keep on impressing. 11 straight wins after tonight's win over the Giants.

To put it in perspective, they have a chance to exceed last season's incredible regular season performance.

Old
02-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Slats432

First game of the year tonight. Excited to be going...

Old
02-14-2014, 07:42 PM
JordanGalhanth

Well...that was...a lousy result. I guess all things must come to an end.

Old
02-15-2014, 09:46 PM
JordanGalhanth

Kings have now lost two straight...OT loss to Red Deer last night despite posting 50+ shots.

Old
02-15-2014, 10:12 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Check out Moroz' hit in the Red Deer highlights http://www.oilkings.ca/

Talk about a suicide pass!

02-17-2014, 04:55 PM
40oz

8-0 Oil Kings after 2

Closed Thread