HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Shanny be traded?

Old
02-03-2007, 07:37 AM
mikesect424

vCash: 500
Should Shanny be traded?

I say no, but Chen makes a valid point. What do you guys think?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/6433678

mikesect424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 07:39 AM
Chimp

No. What kind of respect is that towards Shanahan who chose to play on this team, turning down better offers? Let him end his career here if he wants to.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 07:47 AM
towely

vCash: 1050
absolutely not that would be a slap in the face to shanny even more so then not resigning him in the off season.
shanny still has a couple of good years left in him and can help this team more by being here then in a trade.

towely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 07:53 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
No. What kind of respect is that towards Shanahan who chose to play on this team, turning down better offers? Let him end his career here if he wants to.
Would you change your mind if the Rangers asked Shananan if he'd be willing to go to a true contender for the balance of the year and he said okay and listed the teams he'd be willing to go to?

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 08:07 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Would you change your mind if the Rangers asked Shananan if he'd be willing to go to a true contender for the balance of the year and he said okay and listed the teams he'd be willing to go to?
Exactly what I'm thinking. 51 games in and the team still has him playing with Blair Betts and Marcel Hossa. You think he doesn't know what a contender looks like? I'm pretty sure he's had enough of this Ranger team.

Old
02-03-2007, 08:44 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
I don't think he received any better offers than the 4 mil we gave him. And when you look at who we were coming into the off season (a 100 point club) Shanny was looking to go to a team that had a shot at the cup, we do not have that here.

I highly doubt he'd be to upset if he were dealt to a team like San Jose or maybe even back to Detroit, hell even Vancouver may be players in a deal for Shanny.

Respect? there is no respect from the players towards management, why should the team show the player any more respect than whay they get?

I like Shanny, but he's run out of gas around December and I'd bet he gets no more than 10 goals in his next 31 games. For what we are paying him and the role that he playes on this team, for a guy like Prucha, those totals are great, but not for Shanny.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 08:45 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
Exactly what I'm thinking. 51 games in and the team still has him playing with Blair Betts and Marcel Hossa. You think he doesn't know what a contender looks like? I'm pretty sure he's had enough of this Ranger team.
He's also getting top PP and PK time, while more than stepping up and taking the role as vocal leader. And, I bet, if you ask him, he has every belief that this is a playoff team. And, I don't think there's any chance in hell that the Rangers will look to move, especially when they're reportedly in talks at re-signing him.

Last edited by jas: 02-03-2007 at 11:33 AM.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Sather Hater

Quote:
If Brian Leetch can be traded against his wishes, then Shanahan who has been a Ranger for only a few months can be traded too.

If this team is about 10 points out of the final playoff spot when the trade deadline comes around, I definitely would not mind trading Shanny IF you can get a good return (i.e.- First Round Pick, Top Prospect, etc) especially if they do not think he will be back next year.

I agree he was a good addition this year. He has slowed down though since his fast start and there is a chance he might not be back next year. Is 30 more games of Shanny in a Ranger uniform worth not possibly improving the team for the next 5-10 years?

Sather Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:12 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sather Hater View Post
If Brian Leetch can be traded against his wishes, then Shanahan who has been a Ranger for only a few months can be traded too.

If this team is about 10 points out of the final playoff spot when the trade deadline comes around, I definitely would not mind trading Shanny IF you can get a good return (i.e.- First Round Pick, Top Prospect, etc) especially if they do not think he will be back next year.

I agree he was a good addition this year. He has slowed down though since his fast start and there is a chance he might not be back next year. Is 30 more games of Shanny in a Ranger uniform worth not possibly improving the team for the next 5-10 years?
Exactly! Trading Leetch was disgusting.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Entrancemperium

Mmmmm Shannahan for Bobby Ryan *drool*

Entrancemperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:23 AM
SML

If management is serious about having him return, then they should offer him a one year deal for next season right now. If he balks, or plays the "I don't want to talk contract until the offseason" card, then we should absolutely see what the market is for him. I love the guy and think he's great to have in the organization, He's all the things you want your young players to be, but the memory of him playing here next season isn't going to put any points on the board if he walks.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:32 AM
towely

vCash: 1050
its amazing how fast people turn on you when struggle.

towely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrancemperium View Post
Mmmmm Shannahan for Bobby Ryan *drool*
i don't know about that. ryan is always the first prospect ANA fans want to peddle off too nonchalantly. something about that kid screams BRENDL.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:47 AM
nyr7andcounting

Only if we are out of the playoffs AND Shanny is okay with it. It doesn't do us any good to miss the playoffs with our current roster. We should still be building for the future. So if we're not going to get a playoff spot than you start thinking about next year and beyond

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:53 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by towely View Post
Are you talking about Shanahan struggling or the Rangers struggling?

As far as I'm concerned it has nothing to do with Shanahan struggling (who wouldn't on a line with Betts and Hossa?).

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:55 AM
mikesect424

Quote:
Originally Posted by towely View Post
I don't think anyone's turning on shanny. It's just a question of letting a veteran player toil on a team that's not all that good, (we really aren't), or trying to get something decent for the future. I think draft picks don't really help us, unless there is a change in scouting, but a solid prospect would be great. Looking down the line as it is, we simply don't have much coming.

mikesect424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesect424 View Post
I think draft picks don't really help us, unless there is a change in scouting, but a solid prospect would be great. Looking down the line as it is, we simply don't have much coming.
You can go out and get all the scouting GENIUS' in the hockey world, and they still would not be able to bring in Malkin/Crosby/Ovechkin. You need high picks to be able to get those players, its as simple as that. Otherwise, they're doing fine so far with Tyutin, Prucha, and Lundqvist.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
not even an option

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 12:02 PM
smoneil

I wouldn't trade Shanny right now for one key reason: I think this team could be set for years just the way it is.

Yeah, the big 4 are getting older, but we DO have youth in Hartford. The next 2/3 seasons could/should look like this:

Next season, sign a young, 1st/2nd line center (for the sake of argument, let's say Gomez). Then bring up a couple of our Hartford wingers. That's it. That would make the team look like this for 07/08:

Straka Nylander Jagr
Prucha Gomez Shannahan
Dawes Cullen Callahan
Hollweg Betts Ortmeyer
Hossa/Ward

The following season, when we are likely to lose pretty much the entire top line and Shanny, we sign a top (and with the money available, I mean TOP) winger, move Gomez up to the top line, bring up Dubinsky and Korpedo for the 2nd/3rd line and see how it works. We would then be:

Prucha Gomez Big Name
Dawes Dubinsky Callahan
Korpedo Cullen Byers?
Hollweg Betts Ortmeyer

Not that bad, especially when you look at the defense, which, through 2 years of patient waiting, could look more like:

Staal Tyutin
Sanguinetti Rozsival
Sauer Girardi
Baranka/etc etc.

With a tandem of Lundqvist and Montoya in goal.

It's be a very young, talented, inexpensive team that could easily be tweaked at the deadline for a cup run.

If we trade Shanny after he took less to come here, we are NOT likely to sign a top young center this offseason or the big winger the following one. Nobody will want to sign with a team that will ship you off the same year.

As to the article, I really think the guy had the "trade Shannahan" idea first, and then tried to make it fit the Rangers situation. How else does he come up with the idea that Fedor Tyutin is "performing below expectations"?

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Pogo

There is no way we should trade him, unless he specifically asks to be moved, not if management "asks" him to. We aren't (at least I hope we aren't) a classless piece of **** team that lowballs players, especially high-profile ones, who chose to come play for us. The guy has been extra-ordinary for us leadership-wise and quite frankly that's been a breath of fresh air for this team. On the ice I think at the beginning of the season he exceeded expectations with a very HIGH level of play, which makes the drop-off more noticable. The man is a class act, no way should we screw him over by moving him, even if in the long run it helps the team. It may be naive, but I for one, still believe in old fashioned things like loyalty. I just wish this sport wouldn't be just a business with no consideration for other things that are just as important, like said loyalty, heritage and knowing that there is life off the ice as well as on.

Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 01:48 PM
TheZherdev

Sorry too idealistic. A roster is never that home grown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
I wouldn't trade Shanny right now for one key reason: I think this team could be set for years just the way it is.

Yeah, the big 4 are getting older, but we DO have youth in Hartford. The next 2/3 seasons could/should look like this:

Next season, sign a young, 1st/2nd line center (for the sake of argument, let's say Gomez). Then bring up a couple of our Hartford wingers. That's it. That would make the team look like this for 07/08:

Straka Nylander Jagr
Prucha Gomez Shannahan
Dawes Cullen Callahan
Hollweg Betts Ortmeyer
Hossa/Ward

The following season, when we are likely to lose pretty much the entire top line and Shanny, we sign a top (and with the money available, I mean TOP) winger, move Gomez up to the top line, bring up Dubinsky and Korpedo for the 2nd/3rd line and see how it works. We would then be:

Prucha Gomez Big Name
Dawes Dubinsky Callahan
Korpedo Cullen Byers?
Hollweg Betts Ortmeyer

Not that bad, especially when you look at the defense, which, through 2 years of patient waiting, could look more like:

Staal Tyutin
Sanguinetti Rozsival
Sauer Girardi
Baranka/etc etc.

With a tandem of Lundqvist and Montoya in goal.

It's be a very young, talented, inexpensive team that could easily be tweaked at the deadline for a cup run.

If we trade Shanny after he took less to come here, we are NOT likely to sign a top young center this offseason or the big winger the following one. Nobody will want to sign with a team that will ship you off the same year.

As to the article, I really think the guy had the "trade Shannahan" idea first, and then tried to make it fit the Rangers situation. How else does he come up with the idea that Fedor Tyutin is "performing below expectations"?

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 02:18 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I'll say this: if you trade him, don't expect him back next season.

02-03-2007, 02:22 PM
hlundqvist30*

By trading Shanahan, we would be giving up on next year too. Let's say you are a Chris Drury or Scott Gomez, a player desired by multiple teams. By signing with the Rangers, you are given the "opportunity" to play with Prucha and Hossa. How inclined would you be to sign with that team? Now let's say you are Chris Drury or Scott Gomez, and Glen Sather gives you the opportunity to play with Petr Prucha and Brendan Shanahan. I'm pretty sure they would find that VERY appealing.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 02:25 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

that'd be such a slap in the face. i don't think my teams integrity should be so easily bought. the other team would have to be offering some sort of trade you just couldn't turn down like a top top shelf prospect. or more!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 03:31 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

What the heck!?!?!??!

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote