HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part III

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Avengers*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
We don't have time to watch alot of TV shows because of sports. I would rather watch the game and watch the shows on demand when we have time.

1. Breaking Bad
2. Dexter
3. Game of Thrones.
4. Sons of Anarchy
5. Shameless (US)
6. The Walking Dead
7. True Blood
8. Boardwalk Empire
9. Fringe
10. Heroes

I am sure based on what I have seen so far True Detective would make it half way up the list but its only 3 episodes in.
Dexter is really great until the season 4 finale. Season 5-6 are disappointing. Season 7 was a good step up. Season 8 is a freakin disgrace.

Old
01-28-2014, 09:22 PM
aingaran
HFBoards Sponsor

Anybody watch The Wolf of Wall Street?

Old
01-28-2014, 09:28 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireTherrien View Post
Yup. I found it great, albeit a bit long. Opinions seem to be very hot and cold though, despite the high ratings the movie got.

Old
01-28-2014, 10:07 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
It was okay... but I'm not into ass, ****, and coke. Also it's rather long.

Old
01-28-2014, 10:07 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Watched it today. Was entertaining but defintely not like "omg best movie ever" kinda thing. Maybe it'll age better, maybe not. I liked it though - and it doesn't glorify senseless drug abuse and deubachery as much as it makes fun of those who think it does. Kinda like how Scarfaces misses the point and Scarface fans miss the point, but more subtle.

Old
01-29-2014, 08:20 AM
rickthegoon

My personnal favorite series of all time have been :

The sopranoes
Breaking bad,
House of lies ( not usualy interested in political series, but Kevin Spacey is perfect in his adaptation
The Wire, ( loved the bad guys, Michael K. Williams,Wood Harris,Idris Elba,Felicia Pearson) also Wendell Pierce , just for this scene how a Baltimore cop should sound like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6vgiwLZk8Y
the shield
Shameless ( U.S. version),
Luther,
The killing( 1st season was just outstanding, brought a different perspective to cop shows ; the impact on family life after the dissapearance of a child )....following seasons have not been up to par, yet still good),
Homeland
Deadwood ( cut short after just 3 seasons )
19-2 ( for those who can undestand french)
Minuit le soir

Old
01-29-2014, 08:22 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthegoon View Post
My personnal favorite series of all time have been :

The sopranoes
Breaking bad,
House of lies ( not usualy interested in political series, but Kevin Spacey is perfect in his adaptation
The Wire, ( loved the bad guys, Michael K. Williams,Wood Harris,Idris Elba,Felicia Pearson) also Wendell Pierce , just for this scene how a Baltimore cop should sound like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6vgiwLZk8Y
the shield
Shameless ( U.S. version),
Luther,
The killing( 1st season was just outstanding, brought a different perspective to cop shows ; the impact on family life after the dissapearance of a child )....following seasons have not been up to par, yet still good),
Homeland
Deadwood ( cut short after just 3 seasons )
19-2 ( for those who can undestand french)
Minuit le soir
best serie in QC in the last decade IMO.

Old
01-29-2014, 08:26 AM
sventington

Deadwood was my favourite, although season 2 kind of sucks. Al Swearengen is the best.

Old
01-29-2014, 08:32 AM
Brainiac

19-2 has been adapted in english (remake, not subtitle). It was great in french, but I think it's a different director in english, so it could be meh. Podz is a great director.

That being said, season 2 of 19-2 was just a little too much drama for me. Still good, but they could have toned it down a bit.

Old
01-29-2014, 08:34 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
I'd give it the Best Picture nod right now. The film is very insightful into the 80s no rules stock trading culture.

Old
01-29-2014, 08:51 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I'd give it the Best Picture nod right now. The film is very insightful into the 80s no rules stock trading culture.
wish LD would get his first oscar but i doubt it...

Old
01-29-2014, 10:20 AM
LastChancePrice

Quote:
Movie of the year for now for me. Way better than u can expect.

Old
01-29-2014, 10:35 AM
FisherKing

Watched "Red2" last night. Funny as hell.

Old
01-29-2014, 11:13 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sventington View Post
Deadwood was my favourite, although season 2 kind of sucks. Al Swearengen is the best.
I'm watching Deadwood now for the first time. Well I saw the first half of season 1 like five times. Finally watched it the whole way through and started on season 2, only got to the first two episodes so far though. Any reason in particular (without spoiling) why season 2 kinda sucks?

Old
01-29-2014, 04:29 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing View Post
Watched "Red2" last night. Funny as hell.
Still can't believe that out of all of Warren Ellis' genius work, we only have a movie for Red, one of his worst. Bleh.

Old
01-30-2014, 12:16 AM
Mrb1p

Hah, there's this movie playing on movie something and I saw these three guys and I was like "hey I know them"... Lappy, JVR, Carle and Hartnell

Old
01-30-2014, 12:31 AM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Hah, there's this movie playing on movie something and I saw these three guys and I was like "hey I know them"... Lappy, JVR, Carle and Hartnell
It's that terrible Judd Apatow movie, This is 40. ****ing awful.

Another awful movie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Girl

Old
01-30-2014, 12:34 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

started re-watching Space: Above and Beyond for the first time since it aired 20 years ago, a series that played on fox back in 94 or something. being on fox, ahead of it's time and being a science-fiction series, of course it got canceled.

its good. very good even. occasionally shows its age, especially in the CGI - which was ground breaking for a tv show back then (but mostly laughable today). it is a smartly written show, by the same guys who were with the x-files, generally good character (only 3 characters are really interesting) and was totally and completely ripped off by those battlestar galactica ****** nozzles, from 'bad-ass female pilot' to the idea of cylon ships being biological to 'skinjobs' and to actual plots from individual episodes

imdb

Quote:
The Earth is embroiled in a desperate war against alien invaders, and this series focuses on one squadron of Marine pilots involved in it.
i totally recommend it to anybody who enjoys science fiction and lots of pew-pew and imo, superior to BSG season 2-5

Old
01-30-2014, 12:38 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
It's that terrible Judd Apatow movie, This is 40. ****ing awful.

Another awful movie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Girl
Yeah, its pretty ******.

At least I can get to see that milfs *******.

Old
01-30-2014, 07:25 AM
sventington

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I'm watching Deadwood now for the first time. Well I saw the first half of season 1 like five times. Finally watched it the whole way through and started on season 2, only got to the first two episodes so far though. Any reason in particular (without spoiling) why season 2 kinda sucks?
It starts to become a parody of itself in that a lot of the constant swearing and violence no longer seems to be part of showing you how rough and crude things were back in the day, but instead it just seems to be there to remind you of how much they swore and killed and fought in the previous season. Beyond that there are a lot of hokey moments (you would have already seen one in Bullock's "but I love her" little moment), and overall the story itself is just less interesting. A lot of the characters become a bit too...charactery at times as well, haha.

The pacing of 2makes sense once you see what it builds towards though, and the show becomes easier to buy into once again as it approaches the end of the season. It is worth enduring in any event. Season 3 is so full of tension that it is hard to avoid watching it all in one go.

Old
01-31-2014, 04:36 AM
DAChampion

WhiskeySeven,

Care to share your thoughts on these two articles?

http://badassdigest.com/2013/12/11/h...act-structure/
HULK’S SCREENWRITING 101 EXCERPT: THE MYTH OF 3 ACT STRUCTURE)

Do they really teach in film school that the three-arc structure is universal? That's what is implied I think. I'm not sure if that's meaningless and thus not even wrong, simply wrong, or as profound an insight as Chomsky's work on the universality of grammar.

also:

http://badassdigest.com/2014/01/20/f...id-o.-russell/
Film Crit Hulk Smash: THE FALLRISE OF DAVID O. RUSSELL

Since you're so overflowing with praise with American Hustle, here's a detailed critique.

Old
01-31-2014, 04:39 AM
DAChampion

On my recent trip tp Quebec, I picked up the following French-language DVDs, since those are hard to find in Australia:

Omerta
Incendies
Coco avant chanel
C.R.A.Z.Y.
La Grande Seduction
Bon Cop Bad Cop
10 1/2
Quebec Montreal
Horloge Biologique
13 Tzameti

Hopefully they're entertaining.

Old
01-31-2014, 04:58 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
started re-watching Space: Above and Beyond for the first time since it aired 20 years ago, a series that played on fox back in 94 or something. being on fox, ahead of it's time and being a science-fiction series, of course it got canceled.

its good. very good even. occasionally shows its age, especially in the CGI - which was ground breaking for a tv show back then (but mostly laughable today). it is a smartly written show, by the same guys who were with the x-files, generally good character (only 3 characters are really interesting) and was totally and completely ripped off by those battlestar galactica ****** nozzles, from 'bad-ass female pilot' to the idea of cylon ships being biological to 'skinjobs' and to actual plots from individual episodes

imdb

i totally recommend it to anybody who enjoys science fiction and lots of pew-pew and imo, superior to BSG season 2-5
Battlestar Galactica is overrated among nerds, for whatever reason. I think it's a good show, but a lot of people speak of it like it's above the rest of the genre -- it's not. It has a lot of serious issues but it didn't really tackle them, character development largely took place offscreen, and actions often, too often, lacked consequences.

Babylon 5 may be the best space opera ever made, if you can get past the unbelievably awful first 6 or 7 episodes. The first season is brought down by the fact that the main actor developed a mental illness while filming; he was replaced in season 2.

Old
01-31-2014, 05:29 AM
DAChampion

I saw some movies on my recent flights from Australia to North America to Italy and back to Australia. All we horrible-to-middling except for Jobs and Europa Report, which I liked a great deal and recommend.

Iron Man 3
I wrote a rant about this one just after watching it, so I have more to say:
- I'm having trouble buying Tony's PTSD given that the events of the avengers were a joke, and he didn't suffer any more than he did in the first two iron man movies.
- why is there a kid?
- why is the mandarin white? WTF is his accent?
- "now you're just going to leave me here, like my dad" ... "
- The mandarin has some sort of arab themed music, is supposed to be chinese, and is played by a white actor;
- I wonder if this clown that Tony met in the room is really the Mandarin;
- Aldredge Killian's transformation does not work;
- the way the scientist chick died was anti-climatic;
- there's a silly skydiving scene;
- "I AM THE MANDARIN" ...
- Nice bra Pepper Potts ...
- The movie ends with some self-narating heavy-handed exposition from Tony Stark, and the words "one thing you can't take away, I am Iron Man"... except it's been taken away because there are a hundred iron men now, and Iron Man is no longer a big deal since there are tons of super beings.
- Tony Stark cures Pepper of Extremis, and cures himself of his shrapnel wound, in the brief time following the resolution of the film.

Overall, a terrible movie, with a convoluted, self-deprecating, and incoherent plot. It does one thing better than Thor 2, the opening prologue in Switzerland was kind of exciting rather than boring, unlike the battle scene involving Bore and Malakeith. If the whole of Iron Man 3 was like the Switzerland scene, this movie would have been amazing. In general I liked the scenes with Rebecca Hall. Gwyneth Paltrow? meh.

The Marvel films are completely sterile imo as well as repetitive, I kind of expect their bubble to burst soon. How many times can you repackage the same plot over and over again?

My grade: F

Tron: Legacy
I watched it, it's only been a few weeks, and I already don't remember what the plot was. I think the programs wanted to take over the Earth, I'm not sure how or why or what stopped them. In that sense it is kind of like Skyfall: simply not memorable.

However, as mediocre as this was, I'm still impressed by the fact that jt was Joseph Kosinski's first film, as far as first films go it's really impressive. His background is as a professor of architecture, and he greatly improved in Oblivion. I suspect his career will go places.

grade: D

Pacific Rim
It was my second time watching this, and it was much less fun the second time around, being only mildly fun the first time around. I am a fan of dumb action movies as is well known on this forum, but for me, Pacific Rim is probably too dumb. I expect better from Director Guillermo Del Toro than this cringe-worthy dialogue, cardboard characters, internally inconsistent world-building, and horrible acting.

grade: C

World War Z
This, for me, was a run-of-the-mill zombie apocalypse movie. Between Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 weeks later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil, etc etc etc I can't even tell you which I like best, as none stand out. I guess World War Z was well-crafted, but I don't think ti contributed anything new. I had the feeling that the wall around Israel should have had a deeper meaning, but I couldn't find a meaning that was genuinely deep, just that it's a superficial metaphor for Palestine.

grade: C+

Byzantium
A vampire movie starring Saoirse Ronan and Gemma Arterton that comes off as trying to have a meaning, though again I have no idea what the meaning is. There's a lot of exposition in the this movie while there simultaneously is a lot of reveals that take place too late in the game. The best thing, perhaps the only thing, that this movie has going for it is that Gemma Arterton looks hot in it.

grade: C

Jobs
I enjoyed this biopic of Steve Jobs (played by Ashton Kutcher), I don't agree with the critical consensus against it, as in the rotten tomatoes score of 27%. The movie largely focuses on the story of 1980s Apple, how the company was formed by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak, how the company grew, and how Jobs was eventually booted out in the mid to late 1980s. The movie then skips over to the early 2000s and fast-tracks through Steve Jobs' resurrection.

I think that critics didn't like this movie for two reasons. The first is that the main character is unlikeable, and the second is that the movie portrays invention and discovery as being difficult. For that, I condemn the critics as being shallow human beings. Not all people are unlikeable, and in fact sometimes what makes a person an ******* is also what allows them to succeed, and a biopic about a man rising to the top in a cutthroat world need not be and in fact should not be a morality tale about how it always plays to be nice. The second point is one of my pet peeves... critics, and the common American viewer alike both believe that invention is supposed to be easy, and that genius is entirely biological and does not require effort. The movie Jobs shows how the creation of Apple in fact required a lot of balls and intensive effort, which people don't like to see since it conflicts with their mythology of how the world works.

grade: B

Europa Report
Definitely the cream of the crop of what I've watched on planes recently. It's a hard science fiction portrayal of what a manned trip to Europa (a moon of Jupiter) might be like, partly filmed as a "documentary".

For those unfamiliar, Europa is an icy moon of Jupiter that many scientists believe should have an ocean under it, and thus possibly life. I've heard leading astrophysicists describe it as the most likely location in the solar system other than Earth to host life.

In this movie, a manned mission goes to Europe to drill over the ice sheet to see if there is water under it, to then take samples to bring back to Earth. Things go wrong, a lot of the equipment breaks and thus they lose communication with Earth, but they decide to go to Europa regardless and complete their mission. This movie is part space-horror, part scientific exploration... you know like what Star Trek was supposed to be like before Jar Jar Abrams got involved.

A criticism: a lot of the cast members look alike, which made it a little harder for me to follow the story.
A praise: The great Bear McReary did the music.
A query: How did they make this for less than 10 million dollars?

grade: A

Old
01-31-2014, 05:41 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

my 20+ hour plane ride back home had me watching were the millers (meh), GI joe 2 (loooooooool), les boys (was funnier in 97) and dog day afternoon (still awesome).

then i ambien'd myself into a coma.

am downloading europa report right now

Closed Thread