HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The new arena in Ontario, Calif

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2007, 12:40 AM
  #1
Cropduster
Registered User
 
Cropduster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 1,144
vCash: 500
The new arena in Ontario, Calif

New 11,000 Seat Arena Planned for Ontario

Ontario-based Citizens Business Bank announced this week they had bought the naming rights to an 11,000 seat arena planned for Ontario. As the largest locally-based financial institution, the marriage makes perfect sense. Expected to open in late 2008, Citizens Arena is part of the city's Piemonte at Ontario Center, a mixed-use project planned for the remaining land of what once was Ontario Motor Speedway.

Construction has yet to start on the city-owned Citizens Business Bank Arena, but it is expected to have 11,000 seats and attract at least 150 events a year. Details of the 10-year, multi-million dollar naming-rights deal were not included in the Thursday announcement.An agreement has been finalized to house a minor league hockey team that would be a feeder team to the Los Angeles Kings, city manager Greg Devereaux said. Arena football and a National Basketball Association development team are possibilities too, he said.


I can't wait for this, ECHL or AHL you think? I live like 5 minutes from here...

Cropduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 01:06 AM
  #2
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,742
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropduster View Post
New 11,000 Seat Arena Planned for Ontario

Ontario-based Citizens Business Bank announced this week they had bought the naming rights to an 11,000 seat arena planned for Ontario. As the largest locally-based financial institution, the marriage makes perfect sense. Expected to open in late 2008, Citizens Arena is part of the city's Piemonte at Ontario Center, a mixed-use project planned for the remaining land of what once was Ontario Motor Speedway.

Construction has yet to start on the city-owned Citizens Business Bank Arena, but it is expected to have 11,000 seats and attract at least 150 events a year. Details of the 10-year, multi-million dollar naming-rights deal were not included in the Thursday announcement.An agreement has been finalized to house a minor league hockey team that would be a feeder team to the Los Angeles Kings, city manager Greg Devereaux said. Arena football and a National Basketball Association development team are possibilities too, he said.


I can't wait for this, ECHL or AHL you think? I live like 5 minutes from here...
Pretty much going to be the Kings ECHL affiliate.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 01:11 AM
  #3
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,251
vCash: 500
That is so stupid if they use it for an ECHL club. The ECHL serves more as a feeder to the AHL. I know Lombardi wanted a closer affiliate, but this really doesn't help the Monarchs (and not sure how this benefits the Kings). Ya figure the flight from Reading to Manchester is a wee bit shorter than SoCal to Manchester...

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 01:16 AM
  #4
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,742
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Yeah but it'd be pretty ridiculous to have an AHL team so far away from the rest of the league.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 01:21 AM
  #5
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,251
vCash: 500
Oh well, it isn't unusual of this organization to make dumb decisions. What would make sense, IF this Ontario team will be a Kings ECHL affiliate, is to have their AHL affiliate located in a closer state, such as Colorado.


Last edited by Ziggy Stardust: 02-02-2007 at 01:26 AM.
Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 01:25 AM
  #6
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,742
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Oh well, this organization is full of making dumb decisions.
Houston, Omaha and Iowa would be the closest AHL teams. Pretty brutal travel schedule.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 06:23 AM
  #7
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Houston, Omaha and Iowa would be the closest AHL teams. Pretty brutal travel schedule.
Exactly. The AHL tried placing a team in Utah (Grizzlies) a few years back and it didn't go so well given the travel. Given the ECHL already has a presence in California and in the west, an ECHL affiliate seems to make more sense at this point. Lombardi can complain about the distance between the Kings and Monarchs but he'll need to convince AEG that a significant increase in travel expenses (which would likely cut into their bottom line) to put an AHL affiliate in California is justified...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 08:07 AM
  #8
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,448
vCash: 5872
Don't the Kings own the Monarchs anyways?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 08:34 AM
  #9
VisionQuest*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,575
vCash: 500
They own the Monarchs.
Royals arent going anywhere.
It's going to have to be a new team.
Ontario Gulls?

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:07 AM
  #10
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,742
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Exactly. The AHL tried placing a team in Utah (Grizzlies) a few years back and it didn't go so well given the travel. Given the ECHL already has a presence in California and in the west, an ECHL affiliate seems to make more sense at this point. Lombardi can complain about the distance between the Kings and Monarchs but he'll need to convince AEG that a significant increase in travel expenses (which would likely cut into their bottom line) to put an AHL affiliate in California is justified...
Unless of course, AEG starts building new arenas for some other AHL teams close by...

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:38 AM
  #11
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 and 14 View Post
Royals arent going anywhere.
AEG has already committed to the City of Ontario that the team they place in the arena will be affiliated with the Kings. I've posted those articles here several times...

AEG had originally partnered with SMG on the Ontario City project. You’ll find that during the process, AEG and SMG decided separate their business interests. SMG was awarded the management contract for the Convention Center and AEG was awarded the management contract for the Community Events Center. SMG and AEG are partners in the ownership of the Royals. SMG has the management contract for the Sovereign Center in Reading.

link: www.ci.ontario.ca.us/index.cfm/4298/27120

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:57 AM
  #12
TubbyTerrion*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Studio City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,974
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
so, perhaps the Penguins, who have their ECHL club in Wheeling, would relocate it to Reading, and the Kings would grab the Ontario franchise? Or whoever currently has the Long Beach franchise (Boston?) would move their team east (Reading?) and the Kings could move the Ice Dogs to Ontario.

Or, there could be some even lower minor league that could make another valiant attempt at survival like the old PHL (Pretend Hockey League) or WCHL.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:59 AM
  #13
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,251
vCash: 500
They're bringing back the RHI. Go Blades Go!

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 12:08 PM
  #14
wabwat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: pasadena, ca.
Posts: 6,678
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post
so, perhaps the Penguins, who have their ECHL club in Wheeling, would relocate it to Reading, and the Kings would grab the Ontario franchise? Or whoever currently has the Long Beach franchise (Boston?) would move their team east (Reading?) and the Kings could move the Ice Dogs to Ontario.

Or, there could be some even lower minor league that could make another valiant attempt at survival like the old PHL (Pretend Hockey League) or WCHL.


does Boston have Long Beach, or does Montreal?

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 12:15 PM
  #15
Matt13
Registered User
 
Matt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: I'm on a boat MF!
Country: United States
Posts: 4,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
does Boston have Long Beach, or does Montreal?
Montreal.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 12:19 PM
  #16
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,742
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
Montreal.
No, they did, it's Boston's now.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 01:21 AM
  #17
PuckHead27
Registered User
 
PuckHead27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Southern California
Country: United States
Posts: 231
vCash: 500
I'm in Rancho Cucamonga, so that's like 5/10 minutes from my place.

http://piemonteontario.amiesdigital....ge.aspx?pgid=7

http://piemonteontario.amiesdigital....rings/play.jpg

http://www.orange-empire.com/mt/arch...bank_arena.php


Last edited by PuckHead27: 02-03-2007 at 02:44 AM.
PuckHead27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 04:52 AM
  #18
koncepts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Long Beach , CA
Country: United States
Posts: 420
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to koncepts
is there any chance that the Long Beach Ice Dogs become a AHL team ?

Long Beach AHL / KINGS

Ontario ECHL / Kings

Manchester goes to someone back east that needs a team say

Carolina since they are shareing the river rats with the Aves

or the Sabres who share Rochester Americans with Florida


and reading well i really dont know much about the ECHL !!!
but i would guess boston if we get the ice dogs .


Last edited by koncepts: 02-03-2007 at 04:59 AM.
koncepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 07:50 AM
  #19
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
I think that in order for the AHL to work in California, there would need to be an alignment in the west similar to what the ECHL has now.

Stockton
Fresno
Bakersfield
Long Beach
Las Vegas
Phoenix

Basically 6-teams to make up a "Pacific" Division. Maybe at some point, more teams will have a desire to have AHL teams in California, Nevada, Arizona, etc., but until that happens, the cost of travel is probably prohibitive in terms of placing one team there.

We probably need to keep an eye on the Kansas City arena as well. AEG is not going to let that arena sit empty for a season. If they're not able to attract an NHL team for next season or convince the NHL that next season is the time for the two team expansion they seem to be setting up for, look for AEG to place an AHL team there for the time being until such time that they can get a team to relocate there or an expansion team.


Last edited by King Blazer: 02-03-2007 at 07:56 AM.
King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 11:40 AM
  #20
TubbyTerrion*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Studio City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,974
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
does Boston have Long Beach, or does Montreal?
The reason I said Boston is because I know that goaltender Mike Brown was shuttling between Boston, Providence and Long Beach. I know that in '05 the Ice Dogs were the Canadiens ECHL team, but this year seems to be either shared or just Boston.

(and then of course, there's this: http://www.echl.com/cgi-bin/ppublic....eam&team_id=19)

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.