HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours Thread XIV: Rangers gauging interest on Callahan/Girardi

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2014, 01:43 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I think it would be wise for the Rangers to keep Moore and Boyle. Not necessarily re-sign them both, but if they're moving Callahan, they won't have much to absorb the missing PK time.
Trading Moore will likely mean bringing up Powe. That's the trade-off. At least Moore can score.

Old
01-29-2014, 01:45 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

FWIW Ashley Scharge just said on the extra point the rangers are getting closer to a deal with Callahan.

Old
01-29-2014, 01:48 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Trading Moore will likely mean bringing up Powe. That's the trade-off. At least Moore can score.

Quote:
Hagelin
Boyle/Moore
Dorsett (when back)
MZA
Stepan

Nash PK's
OK. You're still taking out 2 of your top 4 penalty killers.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Old
01-29-2014, 01:54 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Hmmm...Bobby Mac or Ashley Scharge (????)...whom do I have more faith in?

Old
01-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

didnt we trade mashinter for beach?

Old
01-29-2014, 01:56 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
didnt we trade mashinter for beach?
Yes, he is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post

OK. You're still taking out 2 of your top 4 penalty killers.
Agree, but more opportunity for someone else. Maybe they decide to bring up Lindberg and he PK's. Or Fast. Maybe the young player they get back can PK.

Old
01-29-2014, 02:22 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 243
Quote:
The Blueshirts, who have been regularly scouting the Avalanche, are believed to be interested in 25-year-old winger Jamie McGinn, a source reports. The 6-1, 210-pounder, who has been promoted to a line with Ryan O’Reilly and Matt Duchene after previously skating with Max Talbot and John Mitchell, has 19 points (12-7) in 49 games, averaging 15:08 per.
http://nypost.com/2014/01/29/rangers...t-talks-stall/

I could see the Rangers going for McGinn if they're sure they want to trade Callahan.

I'd rather Barrie, though.

01-29-2014, 02:24 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post

I could see the Rangers going for McGinn if they're sure they want to trade Callahan.

I'd rather Barrie, though.
I don't think it would be Callahan for only McGinn though. It sounds like the Rangers wanted the Colorado 1st before. I am sure they would ask for that + McGinn +

Old
01-29-2014, 02:26 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty 1m
Rangers probably using Dan Hamhuis as Girardi comparable and he makes $4.5 mil on average. Both about 30 pt def D-men.
This make sense, except for the Wideman, JBo, Phaneuf contracts...

Old
01-29-2014, 02:28 PM
Zamboner
Your move, creep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Would you, or anyone else be upset with:

5.3/yr for 7 yrs - Girardi
5.5/yr for 7 yrs - Callahan.

Just wondering.
Both of these seem realistic (Cally maybe even a bit low), and I want nothing to do with either contract. I love Girardi and Cally. Two of the gutsiest Rangers of all time. But we're in a cap era, they're (probably) on the downside, and those two contracts would barely pay for themselves if they were in peak form, let alone now. As we learned, over and over again, by paying big bucks for Free Agents this age, these are almost always horrible contracts. Just because these two happen to be resignings instead of Free Agency, isn't going to change anything. With a slight break in my heart, I trade them both by the deadline.

Old
01-29-2014, 02:29 PM
Slick Rick 61

I get the Hamhuis comparison, but given the rise in the salary cap, you have to think percentage of the cap at the time of the deal will be the issue here. Sucks for guys that got locked in the past few years, but comparable UFA's salaries will rise relative to salary cap inflation.

Old
01-29-2014, 02:30 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Girardi's agent should lean on all star appearance, TOI stats, blocked shots for leverage over a guy like Hamhuis.

Torts lobbying Girardi into the ASG might bite us.

Old
01-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I don't think it would be Callahan for only McGinn though. It sounds like the Rangers wanted the Colorado 1st before. I am sure they would ask for that + McGinn +
I wasn't suggesting they trade Callahan for McGinn, I was suggesting that they go after McGinn as a replacement, if Callahan is traded.

(This isn't what I want to do, but I see Sather doing it.)

Old
01-29-2014, 02:38 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
McGinn would be a good replacement for Callahan. High energy forward who can hit and play either wing. Will probably cost about half of what Callahan wants to re-sign at the end of the year.

McGinn and Barrie would be a pretty impressive return for a pending UFA.

Old
01-29-2014, 02:39 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
McGinn would be a good replacement for Callahan. High energy forward who can hit and play either wing. Will probably cost about half of what Callahan wants to re-sign at the end of the year.

I agree. I would be happy with that. If they get Barrie, that allows for them to move Stralman or Girardi more easily, no?

Old
01-29-2014, 02:41 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

Quote:

Would love that return. Gives us a RHD who's great with the puck, and a younger Callahan with middle 6 potential. Gives us more size too.

Old
01-29-2014, 02:42 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
I agree. I would be happy with that. If they get Barrie, that allows for them to move Stralman or Girardi more easily, no?
Stralman, yeah, but not Girardi, IMO. I stand what I said before that I think the Rangers will let Callahan go, but will retain Girardi and move Stralman instead. We replaced Stralman with Klein. Add Barrie who can get top-4 minutes in his place.

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Barrie
Moore - Klein

Rotate Barrie and Klein as necessary, or even call up Allen if Barrie is not acquired. Rangers need a PP QB though.

Old
01-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Levitate

Quote:
This make sense, except for the Wideman, JBo, Phaneuf contracts...
Those guys all generally put up more points than Girardi, though

e: I think some of you guys are expecting more moves than will actually be made. Odds are the Rangers aren't going to trade 3 major roster players during the season or something

Old
01-29-2014, 02:44 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Would love that return. Gives us a RHD who's great with the puck, and a younger Callahan with middle 6 potential. Gives us more size too.
I would too, but I mentioned that also knowing we'd likely never get that return. I think perhaps Elliot instead of Barrie would be closer to the ballpark.

Still, that all begs the question, why would the Avs do it? Do they really need the upgrade over McGinn?

Old
01-29-2014, 02:44 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Stralman, yeah, but not Girardi, IMO. I stand what I said before that I think the Rangers will let Callahan go, but will retain Girardi and move Stralman instead. We replaced Stralman with Klein. Add Barrie who can get top-4 minutes in his place.

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Barrie
Moore - Klein

Rotate Barrie and Klein as necessary, or even call up Allen if Barrie is not acquired. Rangers need a PP QB though.
I agree with everything you wrote, but I'm not sure Colorado moves both of those players for a rental. Maybe 1 and then their 1st.

I'd like to hold onto Girardi but if they feel McIlrath and Allen are close to NHL ready, do they want to lock down the entire right side for the foreseeable future or try and get another piece to fit elsewhere or further down the line?

Old
01-29-2014, 02:46 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

In that article by Brooks,he has some info on Callahan and Girardi

Quote:
Negotiations with first-pair right defenseman Dan Girardi, also a pending unrestricted free agent, also have hit a road block. Girardi, who likely would yield a bigger bounty on the rental market than Callahan, is believed to be seeking a six-year deal in the neighborhood of $5.5 million per season, which represents fair market value. Sather is believed to have countered with a relatively low-ball offer of four years at approximately $4.75 million per.
Quote:
Negotiations regarding an extension are at a standstill, if not an impasse, with Callahan believed seeking a deal in the neighborhood of seven years at $42 million that is not in the same ballpark as general manager Glen Sather is willing to pay; not even a ballpark as expansive as Yankee Stadium, where the Rangers and Islanders will meet on Wednesday.

Old
01-29-2014, 02:48 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Hagelin
Boyle/Moore
Dorsett (when back)
MZA
Stepan

Nash PK's
Maybe give Lindberg and/or Fast a try too

Old
01-29-2014, 02:54 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
I wasn't suggesting they trade Callahan for McGinn, I was suggesting that they go after McGinn as a replacement, if Callahan is traded.

(This isn't what I want to do, but I see Sather doing it.)
One of the reasons moving Cally makes so much sense is that they have 3 guys ready, or close to ready, right now who can step in and play 3rd line RW. This is exactly how you're SUPPOSED to use your farm system - to have guys ready to step up and take over when a vet retires/prices himself out/gets injured. When they move him, they should be looking to bring back a) close to ready prospects at positions of need and/or b) longer term assets (recently drafted guys or picks) at any position. If an NHL-ready RW is coming back as a key piece, I don't think we'll be maximizing the utility of the trade. (Unless the plan is then to trade at least one of Kristo/Fast/Miller in another deal.). I would REALLY hope that they can use this opportunity to acquire one or both of a high end center prospect or a high end PMD prospect.

Old
01-29-2014, 02:54 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Seems more and more likely the Rangers think they can get Girardi under contract and will trade Callahan.

The Rangers scouted Avs games 11 times since the start of the season. Something brewing there for sure.

Old
01-29-2014, 02:55 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
In that article by Brooks,he has some info on Callahan and Girardi

That gives me a lot of hope for a reasonable deal with Girardi. I'd be tempted to sign his requested deal, looks like Sather might whittle it down a bit.

Closed Thread